February mamas, it's July! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last month, we talked about this...

The whereabouts of the postcard swap

New month, new thread : So much easier to keep up with, don't you think?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#2 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 AM

Oh my goodness. I didn't even realize it was the 1st! It's kind of nice to be out from under that 25 page thread from last month!
#3 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Welcome to July...where did June go?!! Time flies with babes in arms!

Ugh...Another night of no stretch longer than 2 hours...and many stretches less than that...must...get...up...and...out...of...chair... come on, Em, get it together today...:yawning:
#4 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Hi Ladies!!!!!!!

We are doing ok. DS1 is still wild! DS2 is napping in his crib!

I am beginning to read about the FlyLady (www.flylady.net) to come up with my own cleaning/organizing schedule. I feel like I just am randomly cleaning things and not really making progress. My house is messy and cluttered. Things NEVER get put where they belong. So I am trying to set up a routine to pick up at night and do small decluttering during the day, as well as a certain amount of cleaning tasks each day (like wash floors Monday, wash bedding Tues, etc etc). So far her website is helping me!

DS2 is rolling from back to belly and once in a while belly to back. Cooing really cute and doing a cute squeal! I will update pics soon.

DS1 is well being 2.5 and a bit challenging but we are getting through. Since DS2 is napping in crib, DS1 and i have more alone time.. which is helping!

ok LUNCH time! MOre later!

HUGS!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#5 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Hey mamas...just wanted to quickly say HI and say that I forgot my password and cannot log on so I (allyn/birthmommom) will be using this name until I can

talk to everyone later...oh and we have 2 threads for July
#6 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm off to D&S with the boy. I'll chat with you ladies next week. I only expect three or four pages by then.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#7 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 PM

just a quickie:

Linda, I may just join you at flylady. i've been finding that i have a very negative attitude towards housecleaning/cooking/housewifey stuff lately and i really need to get past it. i had my first ever appointment with a naturopath to deal with the anxiety i feel about my competence in these areas and the ptsd i have from when i was a single sahm and it's really been helping me face down the imaginary voices in my own head, recognize how dumb they are, and motivate myself to just get on with my life.

Allyn, I like your new screen name.

There's been a lot of talk about toys lately so i posted an update on Terran at the toy-free tribe and bumped it in case anyone else is interested.
#8 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

My eye test didn't go so well today- apparently the combination of being fractionally far-sighted and an astigmatism means I should wear glasses It's weird, it really is. The good news is that the optician looked at River and she thinks that his squint is resolving itself, which is good (I saw the opticians more often than my midwife during my pregnancy with him, due to Isaac's predilection for breaking his specs.) I still feel like a frump though. I need a makeover

Linda, I know I've been raving about chore wars, but I love it; I love having someone acknowledge that I worked really hard on the housework, even if it's just me and a computer screen. We could always set up a party for us lot and use each other for motivation that way if anyone wanted?

Rynna, have fun. Are you taking the kiddies?

NOS : good to see you, mama

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
just a quickie:

Linda, I may just join you at flylady. i've been finding that i have a very negative attitude towards housecleaning/cooking/housewifey stuff lately and i really need to get past it. i had my first ever appointment with a naturopath to deal with the anxiety i feel about my competence in these areas and the ptsd i have from when i was a single sahm and it's really been helping me face down the imaginary voices in my own head, recognize how dumb they are, and motivate myself to just get on with my life.

Allyn, I like your new screen name.

There's been a lot of talk about toys lately so i posted an update on Terran at the toy-free tribe and bumped it in case anyone else is interested.
NOS seriously... I don't know what is going on with me and the house work... I feel like since I have become a SAHM I have lost my identity and picked up this new one where I *have* to keep a neat house... check out flapjack's suggestion.. I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
My eye test didn't go so well today- apparently the combination of being fractionally far-sighted and an astigmatism means I should wear glasses It's weird, it really is. The good news is that the optician looked at River and she thinks that his squint is resolving itself, which is good (I saw the opticians more often than my midwife during my pregnancy with him, due to Isaac's predilection for breaking his specs.) I still feel like a frump though. I need a makeover

Linda, I know I've been raving about chore wars, but I love it; I love having someone acknowledge that I worked really hard on the housework, even if it's just me and a computer screen. We could always set up a party for us lot and use each other for motivation that way if anyone wanted?

Rynna, have fun. Are you taking the kiddies?

NOS : good to see you, mama

Helen: sorry about the eye appointment. I like the idea of Chore wars! I am totally up for a bunch of us.. I might sign up now to get me started!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
#10 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 PM

I'm still working on shining my sink and it may be too much for me.

I totally hear you, Linda, and should probably temper my self-loathing by reminding you that the job that gives me identity and self-worth and a fresh start in life is...um...cleaning somebody else's house.

:

Chorewars looks great; I wish I'd had it when Christopher was living here, but I don't have anyone to play with. I'm in if you and Helen are.
#11 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM

okay, i'm in for chore wars. i am so totally scattered that half the time i pick something up to put it away and really just move it to the kitchen before i set it down to take care of something else!

my mate just did something awesome. he is going to build a computer for a friend of ours in exchange for her helping me with child care and cleaning. it seems like such a luxury to have someone here to help me. but i guess it's really just bartering something he has (skills and spare computer parts) for something she has, time and child care skills.

linnaea is rolling consistently from her belly. i'm so glad to hear everyone else's babes are grabbing and trying to eat everything. linnaea has been having major frustration with that lately.

more later... baby just woke up.

oh! i have a question... do any of you garden?

eh. who needs a signature?
#12 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 10:11 PM

Housework is a super bore. I think it's a bit of the stereotype for me - stay at home mom/housewife...by nature I'm incredibly social and I feel like I have to be out and about doing things with other people or I'll burst, especially now that the weather is so nice. So, being that I'm never at home and have an aversion to housework, the house is a bit out of control. DH is away this week on business and I've actually made some headway. I'm less inclined to be lazy at night after DD goes to bed without him around. Plus, I know it'll stay clean .

Speaking of staying busy, DH, DD and I are going to NYC for our first family baseball game on Friday! We're going to see the Yankees and Red Sox play at Yankee stadium before they tear it down. Anyone have any good suggestions on ways to help keep DD cool and comfortable? I expect it to be in the mid 80's, YIKES!

We are about to start CDing! WOO HOOOOO!!! I'm excited but a bit nervous about the laundry issue since we do laundry at the laundrymat (boooo!). Mostly, I'm excited. I have a good stash figured out to start and have already sun bleached many of the infant prefolds I bought .

We just bought a new car because our "old" one (bought brand new a year and a half ago) rolled into a pond. Luckily nobody was in the car or the pond at the time. But the car, which sank to the bottom of the pond, was deemed a total loss. We ended up getting a Scion xB - one of those really ugly "lego" cars. I refused to test drive it at first but once I did, I found it will work surprisingly well for our family. I picked it up today and have officially named it Dwayne :P.

YAY for new threads Anyone have any fun summer plans?

Stay cool mamas and enjoy this beautiful summer month :.
#13 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
okay, i'm in for chore wars. i am so totally scattered that half the time i pick something up to put it away and really just move it to the kitchen before i set it down to take care of something else!

oh! i have a question... do any of you garden?
I garden.. a little. I have pots of tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cantaloupe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyblossom View Post

Speaking of staying busy, DH, DD and I are going to NYC for our first family baseball game on Friday! We're going to see the Yankees and Red Sox play at Yankee stadium before they tear it down. Anyone have any good suggestions on ways to help keep DD cool and comfortable? I expect it to be in the mid 80's, YIKES!

We are about to start CDing! WOO HOOOOO!!! I'm excited but a bit nervous about the laundry issue since we do laundry at the laundrymat (boooo!). Mostly, I'm excited. I have a good stash figured out to start and have already sun bleached many of the infant prefolds I bought .

We just bought a new car because our "old" one (bought brand new a year and a half ago) rolled into a pond. Luckily nobody was in the car or the pond at the time. But the car, which sank to the bottom of the pond, was deemed a total loss. We ended up getting a Scion xB - one of those really ugly "lego" cars. I refused to test drive it at first but once I did, I found it will work surprisingly well for our family. I picked it up today and have officially named it Dwayne :P.

YAY for new threads Anyone have any fun summer plans?

Stay cool mamas and enjoy this beautiful summer month :.

ok Lillyblossom who are you routing for Sox : or Yankees ??

If you can stay shaded, she should be ok.. or bring a wash cloth and wet it in the lady's room so you can cool her off!

oh the Scion.. I LOVE the name!!!!!!!!!! AHHAHA! Laughed my you know what off!! What was the car that took a swim?

Good luck CDing... we love it!

#14 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Playamama, I garden! Check my blog; it has a "gardening" link in it.

I'm up for chore wars too. I started one the other week for my dd and ds1 - they really like it. The winner gets a bonus on their allowance for that week.

Day from hell here, with the baby from hell. Peter hasn't slept more than 30 minutes or so all day and he's sooooo tired and fussy. He must not be feeling well.

More later...must deal with baby spawn.

A happy woman
#15 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM

We do chore wars as well. I've also been a flylady devotee off and on for years. Even when I fall off the wagon, I still get my sink looking great when I clean the kitchen!

Lilyblossom, congrats on the new car. I still can't believe the other one sunk! So random!
#16 of 474 Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 PM

I clean as I go around here. There is still clutter but it better since I threw a total hissy fit and informed my daughter and husband that everyone needed to start picking up after themselves a little better. It was about two days before the period from heel so apparently the message was loud and clear.

I reap the benefits of my mom's garden. We don't have the space at our house since the house was built on a rather small town lot. Our land we own on the local golf course attracts deer so it's out of the question. I wish the land would sell. One less bill and puts us closer to maybe me staying home or at least part time working.

No fun summer plans so far! We'll probably hit the zoo in Madison, WI at least once and hang out at the pool. I feel guilty driving these days with gas being outrageous, but there isn't too much to do in our town (very small 2000 people). Attempting to do some knitting, spinning, and sewing. Bought a bunch of fleece and sherpa to make diaper wipes for Eli and to sell online. I also have aspirations to make a couple of batches of soap one of these days. We'll see what off the list I actually complete!

Eli's running a temp tonight. Not sure why.

Have fun at the baseball game! Good luck with CD'ing. It's the best choice I think I could have ever made!

Really glad I re-connected with all of you.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#17 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 AM

heather, it's great to be with you again, too!

I don't have a yard to speak of, so no gardening, but I have serious gardening envy...does that count? My IL's grew lots of lettuce this year, and it was so fun to eat salad that was 5 min picked from the ground...does it get any better than that?:

I need to join the chore wars too. I just need to buckle down and do better. Maybe being in the thick of it with you mamas will be just the kick in the pants that I need.

Helen, so sorry about your eye appt. I wear contacts daily, and can't imagine a life free from glasses or other eye wear, and know that it sucks.

Lily, so glad to hear that there is a new car to replace the one that sank!

Playa, could your mate please speak to DH...that sounds like the best and most loving kind of gift I could ever hope for!!

NOS, nice to see you here today!

As for me, I just (5 sec ago) ordered the No Cry Sleep Solution from amazon. I did get a used copy:. I just feel like my instincts have been killed, beaten to a bloody pulp, and otherwise destroyed by our horrid sleep issues with DS from 6 to 15 mos of age. He is a WONDERFUL sleeper now, but I can't go through with Molly what I went through with him. SO many poor decisions. AP parenting at its WORST. Now that Molly is having trouble on and off most nights, I just feel like I can't trust myself to make good sleep decisions, so I will turn to some experts who agree with me that CIO is NOT the answer. We'll see how it goes!
#18 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 AM

just subbing for now, no time. i did get pics and will post some later and emily, it's a wet bag. for dirty diapers.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#19 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 AM

Hey all. Things have been chaotic here. I'd be in on joining chore wars. I looked at it when Helen mentioned it to me a while back, but since I didn't have anyone to participate with.... well the motivation wasn't there. But I need to get more done for sure. DP doesn't get it because he is at work all day and I stay home with DD. Housework has never been my thing anyway. But DP thinks that I should get way more done than I do.... and I could improve, esp. if my time was organized. But DD will only tolerate me being on the computer or whatever for so long before I have to change a diaper, feed her, play with her, etc. I wish she liked being worn inside the house. So far she only likes to be worn if we are out on a walk. So a schedule seems unrealistic, I'm not going to let her CIO to keep a schedule. And once I am behind, then I am unmotivated. But something has to change. Sorry for the navel gazing. It's been rough this evening. I just never know around here. Ugh. Where's my :?

Oh, my joy is waking..... It's time for us to be off to bed for the night.

I'll be back to post about everyone else later this week. for all.
#20 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 AM

YEP! POST CARD SWAP IS HERE!!!!

Ember weighed in at a whopping 12 lbs. today at 5 mos.
Ped says, "she's finally on the curve, at least" :
I say she makes her OWN curve.
Ongoing battle with thrush, but nursing like a champ. EBF now for 1 month and counting. :
Tell me this looks like a hungry baby.

It's a picture of Ember near the reservoir we are living at for the next couple weeks. COLD WATER! :

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#21 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 AM

I am going to keep up with this thread I am going to keep up with this thread...

Nos glad that you are seeing someone.

Helen
, sorry about your eye appt.

salt_phoenix She is beautiful!!! look at that chubby belly! love the hat!

peace_laughing my dh doesn`t help either with anything around here. His idea of helping is putting the dishes in the sink (the dishwasher is right next to the sink )

sarahn4639 can't wait to see the pics! I need to get some new ones too of all three, my rel. that I send pics too complain that there is only one kid in the pic when I have 3 it is just the other two aren't around much they are always doing something with friends.

lovetobemama let me know how that book is!

BabyBump hand made soap! Post pics when you have it finished!!

lilyblossom
have fun at the game! Sorry about your car.

PlayaMama that was awesome of your mate! What a luxury!!!

I have a hard time doing chores too. Ash never sleeps longer than 30 min and that just doesnt give me the time to do much, and no one here helps out. i will have to check out those links. I am backed up on laundry mainly because I love hanging the clothes outside to dry, that means loads of ironing... off to check out those links!!
#22 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 05:10 AM

One of us is pregnant again!!! : Read this.... Whan an amazing person she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
Please move me to the June BFPs!! I got a very light BFP on 6/29 on a New Choice (Dollar Tree) test, then the next day I went out and bought 3 other brands and all were +++!! I really thought this cycle hadn't worked because we were only able to insem the day before and the day after O, then I started cramping and spotting at 6 DPO. My IPs (intended parents) are flipping out right now. It is an unbelievable feeling to tell someone that they are finally having their baby.

Even though I have never personally experienced infertility my heart goes out to all of you ladies who are living with it. Hearing about your struggles just reminds me again and again why I choose to be a surrogate. I know surrogacy isn't for everyone, but I am so blessed to have been able to help make two new families and it is amazing! I hope and pray that everyone who has to experience infertility gets to have the children they want. It is so horribly unfair. to everyone!
#23 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

OK, for anyone who's interested in chore wars the link is HERE

You know what? This is only page 2 and I'm already behind. River caught the screamy baby lurgy- I got back from bellydancing last night to find him asleep on the sofa and DH scrubbing poo off every other flat surface in the house when they were meant to be in bed and working respectively Today he's whinged continually, except when I took him down to the charity shop and tried to donate him. He was lovely with someone else to talk to I did get a huge bag of clothes for me for three pounds, though.

#24 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:

You know what? This is only page 2 and I'm already behind. River caught the screamy baby lurgy- I got back from bellydancing last night to find him asleep on the sofa and DH scrubbing poo off every other flat surface in the house when they were meant to be in bed and working respectively Today he's whinged continually, except when I took him down to the charity shop and tried to donate him. He was lovely with someone else to talk to I did get a huge bag of clothes for me for three pounds, though.

I just joined chore wars.
So sorry about River... blah. Hope you have a better day today!

DS2 is asleep napping... DS1 is well.. uh.. watching SuperWhy... and I am on the computer! ahahh! We are going to Boston this afternoon to my mom's until Monday, so I may not be on a lot.. depends on how much running around and visiting we are doing!

Hugs ladies!

#25 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBump View Post

Eli's running a temp tonight. Not sure why.

Really glad I re-connected with all of you.

How is Eli? Any other symptoms?

#26 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
DS2 is asleep napping... DS1 is well.. uh.. watching SuperWhy... and I am on the computer! ahahh!
Umm...I could have written this EXACT sentence! Time to grab a hot shower!

Hope River and Eli are feeling ok!

And I CAN'T believe that Trish is already pregnant again. I wondered who would be the first! She must have the energy reserves of a warrior. I know its different when you are a surrogate, she's been getting uninterrupted sleep for the past 4 mos, but still...she must be one strong woman. : BTW, I also noticed that "WeasleyMum" from our original DDC is in the next Feb DDC. She lost her LO from our DDC, but it sounds like things are going well with this one so far!:
#27 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Hey all... I've been busy this week, so not much from me, but here's an update. Life is still plodding along.

DD has lately been really loving the blowing raspberries thing, it seems to be her standard mode of noise making when not babbling. I think she's really loving having big brother and big sister around, they're loving her quite a bit. DSD-6 made up a song in her honor:
(sung to the tune of Oh My Darlin' Clementine)
Hi Senara,
Hi Senara
Hi Senara-ah-ah-ah
Hi Senara
Hi Senara
Hi Senara-ah-ah-ah

Heh. It's so cute when she and DSS sing it together. It sure makes the baby laugh and squeal!

She's close to rolling over, but she mostly stops on her side. That's how she sleeps, usually. She was close to almost all the way yesterday, but part of her little mat thingie was in the way, so no go.

signature currently in transition
#28 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I'm in! Flylady just ain't going to work for me. Um...shoes? make-up? dishwashers? Weighing myself every morning? Um...no thanks...I left suburbia for a reason and I DON'T want to go back to that mindset.

The sink thing was kinda nice this morning, but reality is that I need to soak my dishes or the stuck on sh!t is just too gross and since it's an unpleassant chore for both Terran and me, it gets done two or three dishes at a time while we're waiting for the kauphy(sp) to drip through or the microwave to heat something up. Much more than that and one or both of us starts crying.

Speaking of crying, I saw Christopher yesterday and it did not go well.
#29 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM

lol, I signed up for Chore Wars - what on earth is it? Too funny. I'm a level 1 Bard apparently. I still haven't figured out what we're supposed to do, but I could sure use some motivation. If this game involves defeating dragons who then come and clean house for you, I'm ESPECIALLY in!

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#30 of 474 Old 07-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Glad to have you, Cynthia; I know I've meant to direct a comment or two personally to you and welsome you to the ddc, but I don''t think I have. You caught me kind of in the middle of a crisis or tragedy or something with the teenager from hell.

Chris is actually a good kid with a big heart who loves his mama, but he's very impressionable and has some bad influences in his life. There's not a whole lot I can do about it or to prevent any of you from winding up in the same situation.

To make a short story long, I've essentially lost custody without a hearing and yes, I've tried to get the cops to help, but they're part of the problem, not part of the solution.

When the law is above the law, who will protect us from the law?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page