Does your baby turn on their tummy while sleeping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 5 mo has started turning over on her tummy while sleeping and it makes me so nervous. Her Dr said it was fine but it still makes me nervous. Does your baby do that? Do you leave them on their tummy?
#2 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Hi JL'mom, all my kids were swaddled from birth so couldn't move!

But it does get to the stage and age where they'll sleep in whatever way is comfortable. Just make sure you ahev no pillows, toys or bumpers in the cot and you'll have nothing to worry about. Five months of age your baby will have great head and neck and back strength, so just keep all toys and things out and don't worry.
#3 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 12:21 PM

My LO sleeps on his stomach occasionally (8months) and as long as your ensure that the surroundings are safe, it should be fine. If you want, check in occasionally, but the risk of SIDS diminishes at 6 months anyway, so if they're in a safe place and that's how they like to sleep then so be it!

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#4 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Just had to add that my ds is almost 5 mo and he's started to do this, too. Seems like he sleeps better on his stomach, too. That of course makes me rush in and check on him more as he's quiet for so long! But I guess if he's strong enough to roll that way in the first place, it's okay right?
#5 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Wow, I just have to say that the "Back to Sleep" campaign has sure been effective, if it can even make us nervous of stomach sleeping that the child initiates!! ITA with your doc and the PPs...if the sleeping space is safe, and the child is healthy, there's no reason she shouldn't turn herself to her tummy for sleeping if it's more comfortable, and no reason (IMO) that you should insist she sleep on her back!

Our babies have all been tummy sleepers from the start--cosleeping on my chest or turned inward towards my side. And then when were big enough to roll to tummy, I even put them down for naps (in the crib, no toys/blankets/bumpers/pillows) on their tummies. They much prefer that position, and sleep much better, waking happy and rested.

Fret not mama! Are you co-sleeping? If not, you might try it (or a co sleeper/side-carred crib) to give yourself some extra peace of mind!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#6 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM

I couldn't keep my lo on his back if I tried. He's been a side sleeper for a while, but since he's learned to roll all the way over he's made it clear that that is how he's going to sleep. He can lift his head great, and roll back onto his back, though, so I don't worry about it.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#7 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 PM

My ds1 was no where near that age when he started to sleep on his belly. He rolled in his sleep as soon as we laid him down from about 3 months. I wouldn't worry about it.
#8 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 02:15 PM

yes every night
#9 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 03:10 PM

I wake up and my 6 week old is sleeping on her tummy! and if i move over, i'll wake up awhile later and she will have somehow moved on her tummy to be next to me!

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#10 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 PM
luv

I'd not worry Kacey is a back/side sleeper but sometimes she ends up on her belly and I figure as long as she got there herself and is in a safe environment she's fine.

-luv
#11 of 11 Old 07-03-2008, 05:27 PM

Yup, my LO started rolling from back to front when she was only about 2 months old, and she always practises her skills in her sleep, so she was constantly rolling over, even in a Moses basket! Don't know how she managed that! It freaked me out at first, but I realised that there really wasn't anything I could do about it. I tried turning her back over, and no matter how many times I did she just rolled right back over again, or woke up very grouchy and took ages to be coaxed back to sleep, at which point she would of course turn onto her tummy again. I think a good rule of thumb is if they're able to roll themselves over then they're ready to sleep on their tummies. Naturally you should make sure the sleeping area is safe too as PPs said, but if possible, try not to worry too much.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page