My three month old sleeps swaddled in a swing every night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my 13 week old sleeps in her cradle papasan swing every night, all night, and is swaddled. She seems perfectly happy to do so. My ped OK'ed this arrangement in our 2-month checkup, but recommended we try other sleep arrangements once in a while. But now, 5 weeks later, I'm getting nervous about it.

We've tried to not swaddle her at night, and it's harder to get her to fall asleep and she wakes up in the middle of the night instead of sleeping til morning. Not a big deal. She seems to like the swaddle, so we keep doing it. But is she getting too old now to be swaddled?

We've tried to put her to sleep in her bassinet once or twice recently but she wakes up hysterically crying - I think she just doesn't know where she is and gets scared. Is sleeping in a swing an impossible habit to break?

Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My little one slept similarly for a majority of nights during a similar stage. However, he has never been one to sleep "all" night - rather, when he'd wake we'd bring him to bed. It's actually quite healthy for babies at this age to wake during the night for feeding, to check in with mom, etc.

How many hours is she actually sleeping through? Have you tried swaddling her and then having her sleep somewhere other than the swing? My LO would sleep much better swaddled in bed with me (or on the attached, side-car style crib) than unswaddled, so we did that for a while until it didn't seem to make a difference for him.

I do think it's easier to have multiple methods for sleep, otherwise if there's ever a change in routine or location, she may have a hard time sleeping. So, play with it and see what works - and don't be afraid for her to wake up a few times during the night. Typically a quick nursing will get them back to sleep, often without them even opening their eyes!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#3 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 AM

I am a huge fan of "if it helps the baby sleep, stick with it." Your baby will let you know when she has outgrown it. DS1 had to be swaddled until he was 6 months, DS2 let us know he was done at 3 months. We knew they were done with it when they cried hysterically in the swaddle/caused them to wake up and fuss during the night. We didn't use a swing with DS1, DS2 absolutely had ot have constant motion until he was about 3 months. Again, he let us know when he was done (he wouldn't sleep in it for more than an hour, and often woke up as soon as we put him into it, then we knew he was done with the swing.)
#4 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
I am a huge fan of "if it helps the baby sleep, stick with it." Your baby will let you know when she has outgrown it.

:
#5 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Keeping her swaddled sounds fine if she likes it, but sleeping in a swing is not a healthy position for breathing or spine development. I'd go cold turkey and try either co-sleeping, a side-car arrangement, or a crib/bassinet or Amby/Happy Hangup in your room. She will get used to it.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#6 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 PM

Eh, DD slept swaddled until she was well over a year old. She loved it, and needed it, and who am I to argue? When she was around 4-5 months old, she wanted her legs out, so we switched to a normal blanket instead of a swaddler. She's fine.

I do not know enough about the papasan swing to say anything about that - but is she bent in the middle, head up, like a car seat? I'd probably try to get her out of that. Does she have reflux? Is the incline helping her sleep?

If you're nursing, you really don't WANT her sleeping through the night. She needs to be up avery 3 or so hours at that age to nurse. Yes, it's hard on Mama, but who said parenting was going to be easy?

My advice? Don't talk to the ped about sleeping arrangements.
#7 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 12:45 PM

She will outgrow the swaddle, don't worry. DD outgrew it around 4 months old.

DS is now 7 months old and just gave up sleeping in the papsan cradle swing. He used to start the night there, and then when he woke I brought him to my bed. It was convenient to put him to sleep there, then go put my 2 year old to sleep, then do housework, then he would wake and we went to bed together. First he gave up napping in it, and after spending ONE night in bed with me all night (at my parents house, no swing) he won't consent to going in it. Now I am having trouble getting things done since I don't have that time when he is sleeping anymore. When stuff supposed to get done if it can't get done when they sleep? Not everything can be done while wearing a baby... Gosh I miss that swing. He wakes up the second I try to sneak out of bed. It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't another child who needed care, but when there is 2, oh man, it is rough! Enjoy the swing while it lasts!
#8 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 PM

My son napped in a swing (not exclusively) for about 8 months!!! I'm actually amidst trying to break the habit right now! I can't seem to get him into his crib everytime, but I'm nursing him to sleep on a bed we made on the floor (another habit I'll have to break I know). I found the swing to be a hard one to break, but if you have the time and patience, it's not impossible. What has worked for me is everytime he's tired I scoop him up, I sing the same song to him and I walk, swing and bounce him until he falls asleep. At this point, I try and get him into his crib or at least lying flat somewhere.

But, I'm talking at 8 months. Honestly I found that I just wanted to keep him happy. You'll read tons of stuff trying to encourage you to get your baby to sleep independently in a crib, etc, at an early age, but what has been the best for us is just keeping him content which keeps uscontent. If your baby is happy sleeping where she is and you're okay with it, then keep it up. Why fix what isn't broke!?

Passionate homemaking wash.gif dishes.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifmama to Christopher (11/07), Evan (2/10), and Wyatt due in July!! jumpers.gif  In love with my amazing husband <3

***4***8***12***16***stork-boy.gif***24***28***32***36***40**  Praying for a vbac.gif

#9 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM

I agree to let them sleep however they can. There were times I've wished my kids would sleep in a swing...especially during teething.
#10 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 PM

Ds3 (age 4 months) sleeps swaddled in his swing for his long nap of the day, plus a good portion of the night. It works, and I'll keep doing it as long as it works.

A happy woman
#11 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Yes! Do whatever works. Your little one will eventually give up the swing, like both of mine did. Don't worry, enjoy the sleep. Work on something else when it starts to not work anymore.
#12 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
Keeping her swaddled sounds fine if she likes it, but sleeping in a swing is not a healthy position for breathing or spine development. I'd go cold turkey and try either co-sleeping, a side-car arrangement, or a crib/bassinet or Amby/Happy Hangup in your room. She will get used to it.

I agree. DD was happy in a swaddle until 6mo.

But if cold turkey is too much to deal with you might want to try turning off the swing after she falls asleep for a couple of nights. Motion sleep isn't the best type of sleep. Its like when you take a nap in the car and you wake up and feel worse... you don't get all the way into the deepest sleep which is what you realy need to feel refreshed and process all the days happenings.
#13 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'll definitely not worry about the swaddling.

I'm also not too worried about her sleeping 9-10 hours at a stretch because she is gaining weight fine and doesn't wake up crying with hunger. (I do feed her right away, of course, but when she wakes up she's all smiles).

The swing is something I'll have to work on gradually. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person to use this crutch.
#14 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflykami View Post
I agree. DD was happy in a swaddle until 6mo.

But if cold turkey is too much to deal with you might want to try turning off the swing after she falls asleep for a couple of nights. Motion sleep isn't the best type of sleep. Its like when you take a nap in the car and you wake up and feel worse... you don't get all the way into the deepest sleep which is what you realy need to feel refreshed and process all the days happenings.
We also turned the swing off at night after he was asleep. It helped save batteries, for one. And also helped him transition to sleeping in a motionless state.

Glad you're feeling more confident! And I agree, it's good to know that even amongst AP mamas, many of us have used these tools at one point or another.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#15 of 15 Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM

Meh, my 3 1/2 year old still naps in her Zooper stroller. She isn't even in the ballpark of fitting comfortably in it, but she still insists on napping there.

IMO, whatever gets the child happily sleeping is a good thing

:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page