High Chairs~Svan versus Tripp Trapp or other suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter won't be ready for a couple more months (she's almost 5 mo), but I'm looking/ researching high chairs now and these are the two that stand out. It seems like the Tripp Trapp might be sturdier & seems to get better reviews? BUT I like the fact that the Svan has a tray, so that if I wanted to have that option, I could.
They are both $$$$, but I figure they should last a few years, right? Both say they can go all the way up to adulthood, but they sure don't look comfortable, especially with my ample ass! I want something wooden that looks nice & doesn't take up too much room, is easy to clean & can pull right up to the table so baby can eat with us (would need to be height-adjustable to accommodate different tables). Soooo, can anyone give reviews for either of these or recommend another name-brand that's similar?
Thanks!
Stacy (mt Ocean, almost 5 months!)
#2 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 AM

We had a wooden high chair with out first. Whew, what a PITA it was! It was hard to clean, hard to get the little food bits out from the nooks and crannies. Well we went on vacation when he was about 1 yr old to visit the grandparents and my mom bought one of those cheapy $20 strap on a regular chair type high chairs. totally awesome! We went home and sold the big expensive wooden chair and got the cheapy one. It worked great, even turned into a booster although my ds never liked being in a booster...he'd rather just sit in a regular chair even when he was too short for the table. The whole thing could come apart and you could throw it in the dishwasher. It was super easy to transport to other people's houses.

We got the same one for dd. I just find it so much easier, takes up like no space at all since it's on a regular chair, and it's so easy to clean.

Of course if you don't do plastics then it wouldn't work for you.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#3 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 12:53 AM

The Tripp Trapp is more sturdy and will support more weight than the Svan.
#4 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 AM

We have a Tripp Trapp and we love it. My daughter (now 3) can get up there by herself and will willingly sit for an hour or so doing crafts. Its also easy to clean as its all flat surfaces.

I love the fact that I can also sit in it when all the other chairs are taken. I bought our chairs (2 of them) second hand from Craigslist so they're on their 2-3rd owners for about 1/2 the price of retail.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#5 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
We have a Tripp Trapp and we love it. My daughter (now 3) can get up there by herself and will willingly sit for an hour or so doing crafts. Its also easy to clean as its all flat surfaces.

I love the fact that I can also sit in it when all the other chairs are taken. I bought our chairs (2 of them) second hand from Craigslist so they're on their 2-3rd owners for about 1/2 the price of retail.
Yes, I've been looking at craigslist religiously. There was one listed today *brand new* for $100, but I didn't get to it on time
#6 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 PM

We have two Tripp-Trapps. DS (five in September) still uses his multiple times a day. Our kitchen table is used for puzzles, art, games and eating, and it's so nice that both kiddos can sit at the appropriate height. Plus they're easy to clean and great looking. But I agree that they're pricey -- good luck on stalking CL!
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#7 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 12:46 PM

I have a tripp trapp,
it doesn't change hieght - so u may want to consider the one with the tray, this way u have the option.

negatives
-My son is 8 months & quickly outgrowing the rail on the chair - so soon he will just have the straps
-u have to slide the baby in from the top while guiding the legs through - the rail is not made to be taken on & off - except when it no longer needs to be used
-does not adjust for different table heights
-i realize now having a tray would be very helpful when he wants to explore stuff, other wise he has to lean way forward to reach over the rail onto the table, I suppose when we take off the rail it may be more practical for him.
-small area where baby sits, I would think when he gets old enough to sit in a chair it will be more comfortable.
-not that ez to clean

positives
-sturdy - well made
-can be used for a long time
-i love the look of it
-if u are in england i've seen a company that makes trays for it (i'm not in englad - so hopefully someone here decides to make them too)
#8 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 01:08 PM

We have a trip trap for ds- who is now 8.5 years old. He still uses it at every meal, he also uses it for working at the computer. We LOVE it! it is sturdy and adjustable, and it will grow with him into adulthood. There are SO many different colors it comes in that you can co-oridinate it with just about any dining set. Ours sits at the table with the other chairs.
I liked that fact that it slid right up to the table when he was younger, and no tray was necessary. I also like the fact that there is a bottom "shelf" that he can rest his feet on. With our regular chairs, his feet dangle which cause him to be uncomfortable. If he is in a regular chair, he is very fidgity during the time he is in it, and ends up sitting on his legs, which then fall asleep, and cause more movement.
I am actually pg right now, and will defiantly buy another for this l.o. when the time comes.

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#9 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! We're leaning towards a Tripp Trapp, just seems like it's sturdy & will last for years & I love the colors & cushions
Consciousma~ Is the seat height not adjustable, just the foot shelf? From the website, it seems like they're both adjustable so I'm confused. Also, when it has the baby rail on, can you not fully pull it up to the table? Could I just skip the baby rail & pull it all the way up (so that the table would be supporting her midsection) or would that not be safe?
Maybe I'll go look at them IRL at a local baby store & in the meantime, I have a couple more months to hunt craigslist, so maybe a used one will come up.
Thanks everyone!
Stacy
#10 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 PM

We don't have either chair, but we do have this one. It's similar in design and pretty good quality. Yeah, probably not as good as a Tripp Trapp or Svan, but it's still good and has held up nicely. It does come with a tray for an extra $30. It's just so much cheaper than the other two.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#11 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 PM

Is the seat height not adjustable, just the foot shelf? From the website, it seems like they're both adjustable so I'm confused. Also, when it has the baby rail on, can you not fully pull it up to the table? Could I just skip the baby rail & pull it all the way up (so that the table would be supporting her midsection) or would that not be safe?

Actually i'm not sure what i was thinking, yes the seat height is adjustable as well as the foot rest.

The rail does get a bit in the way, depending on your table height. You can skip the rail - but I'm not so sure I would recommend it, because for an infant it holds them up very well.

I would def recommend that you go check it out for yourself, overall I love this chair, my son is only 8mo and so far he's liking the chair, we will see how it goes.
#12 of 33 Old 07-05-2008, 04:58 AM
luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post
Thanks everyone! We're leaning towards a Tripp Trapp, just seems like it's sturdy & will last for years & I love the colors & cushions
Consciousma~ Is the seat height not adjustable, just the foot shelf? From the website, it seems like they're both adjustable so I'm confused. Also, when it has the baby rail on, can you not fully pull it up to the table? Could I just skip the baby rail & pull it all the way up (so that the table would be supporting her midsection) or would that not be safe?
Maybe I'll go look at them IRL at a local baby store & in the meantime, I have a couple more months to hunt craigslist, so maybe a used one will come up.
Thanks everyone!
Stacy
The seat hight is adjustable but the rail and back support height are not. As long as you are using the rail there is really only one height the seat can be at.

I'm not sure I'd skip the rail as it has a strap that goes between the legs to keep kiddo from sliding down. In addition KC has been for some time able to push herself away from the table. We have slick tile floors.

The cushions look really cute. Until you realize that to take the part that goes under the butt off to wash it you have to take the whole bar and crotch strap off. We wont be putting that cushion back on until she drops way less food.

We just moved the foot rest under the cross support bar. Kacey will now wrap her little monkey toes around that support bar and because of the angles it is IMPOSSIBLE to pull her out. I have to reach down with one hand and unwrap her toes while pulling up at the same time. Less than wonderful.

I DO like the fact that is HER chair for years to come. I wont have an extra piece of 'baby crap' laying around unused.

If I did it again I'm not 100% sure I'd buy a trip trap. In fact for baby 2 in Feb we may just get the $20 plastic one from Ikea.

-luv
#13 of 33 Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Our 6 mo old has been using the Tripp Trap for two months now, just to sit in at the table to play with spoons while we eat. We love it! The only downside is that because the backrest doesn't go up very high, she can't lean back in the chair to rest. That is fine, as she has strong neck control, but if the LO is a new sitter, it may be tiring for him or her.

We have had no problems with her eating off the table (no tray). We found a phthalate free plastic mat with suction cups that attaches to our table, and she eats off of that. We have had some issues with avocado staining the straps green, but such is life.

We completely recommend it.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#14 of 33 Old 07-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
If I did it again I'm not 100% sure I'd buy a trip trap. In fact for baby 2 in Feb we may just get the $20 plastic one from Ikea.

-luv
Well...I fell in love with the Svan Anka because it folds up and I like the look. But the ship date has now been delayed into August. I'm considering canceling the order. When she turned 6 m.o. and I needed a high chair, like, yesterday, I got her the Ikea one. Honestly, it's great. Cleans well and the legs come off for easy portability when we go out of town on the weekends. Thinking when she outgrows this, I may just get this cool Little Beetle until she can sit in a chair on her own.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#15 of 33 Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
Well...I fell in love with the Svan Anka because it folds up and I like the look. But the ship date has now been delayed into August. I'm considering canceling the order. When she turned 6 m.o. and I needed a high chair, like, yesterday, I got her the Ikea one. Honestly, it's great. Cleans well and the legs come off for easy portability when we go out of town on the weekends. Thinking when she outgrows this, I may just get this cool Little Beetle until she can sit in a chair on her own.
Oh, I like that Svan chair! I bookmarked it, I really like that it has a plastic-covered tray. I wish the Tripp Trapp came w/ a tray.
#16 of 33 Old 07-06-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
i LOVE the new Anka! we have the regular svan chair and use it daily. dd is kindof independent right now and would rather sit alone in a big chair. we chose the svan vs trip trapp b/c of the tray option. handy when we want to eat on the sofa!
#17 of 33 Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 AM

I had exactly the same dillema a month ago - DD is 6.5 mo.
So after lots of thinking and comparing we bought the Tripp Trapp. I have to admit that I liked the Svan better, because of the tray, but my husband hated it. So we settled for a Stokke.

So far I am really happy with the Tripp Trapp It feels very sturdy and appears to be more solid than the Svan (I don't know if its true).

DD doesn't really eat yet, more plays with spoons and stuff, so no probelm so far of her not having a tray.

Here are few pics of how it looks:
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#18 of 33 Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophi4ka View Post
I had exactly the same dillema a month ago - DD is 6.5 mo.
So after lots of thinking and comparing we bought the Tripp Trapp. I have to admit that I liked the Svan better, because of the tray, but my husband hated it. So we settled for a Stokke.

So far I am really happy with the Tripp Trapp It feels very sturdy and appears to be more solid than the Svan (I don't know if its true).

DD doesn't really eat yet, more plays with spoons and stuff, so no probelm so far of her not having a tray.

Here are few pics of how it looks:
pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
She is just adorable!!!
Ok, so what color is that?! Is that the lime green b/c it looks much greener (like kelly green) than the one on the website?
Thanks,
Stacy
#19 of 33 Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM

We have the Tripp Trapp and we love it. DD is 10 mos old and still probably has about a month left before we won't be able to squeeze her belly into the chair rail (she's about 20 lbs). You can still get close enough to the table with the chair rail to allow for self-feeding. The ONLY drawback for us is that because we do not have an eat-in kitchen, it can only be used at our dining room table in the other room. It probably would have been a bit more convenient during these "cruising" and learning to walk months to have something with a tray attached to put her in the kitchen to play with toys or to allow her to eat under watchful eye while I prepare meals, clean, etc. once in a while. On the other hand, I know that I have guaranteed "dinner dates" at the dining room table with her and that's worth a whole lot more!
#20 of 33 Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 PM

Yeh, it is the lime green. It is way greener in real life than what appears on their swatch in the store. It is definetely not a color you can ignore

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#21 of 33 Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM

I love my Svan and it perfectly matches my dining room set, has a tray (which to be helps with self feeding).

Personally I like the Svan for 6 months - 2.5 years then I like the Trip Trapp.... you can always sell the Svan on craigslist and use the money on the Trip Trapp.

btw - the Svan's never loose money on craigslist in my area like the Trip Trapp.

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#22 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted a similar question... How easy are these to clean up? We have a Peg Perego Prima Pappa and it's a terror to clean. The top tray is okay, but once something spills on the nice padded seat, it's very difficult to take apart, wash, and reassemble.

On the Tripp Trapp and Svan, how are the straps attached to the seats? Are they removable for cleaning?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#23 of 33 Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks to those who posted links in this thread! I've come across another seat that's a good contender for us right now, and thought I'd share... The Kuster K1:

http://www.amazon.com/Kuster-K1-High...5589351&sr=8-1

(Available other places, too, like Comfort1st and BareBabies.com)

Apparently my DH doesn't like the Stokke (which I love the look of) or the Svan (which I don't love either), but he and I both like the look of the Kuster K1. Functionally sound, too, and good reviews in the UK where it originated. There are coupons available for other sites, too... So not 100%, but it's a good consideration for now! HTH!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#24 of 33 Old 09-12-2008, 01:08 AM

i know this is kind of an old thread, but a question. I like the look of the one step ahead euro II chair, and it's super cheap! But is the seat adjustable as well?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#25 of 33 Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
i know this is kind of an old thread, but a question. I like the look of the one step ahead euro II chair, and it's super cheap! But is the seat adjustable as well?
Hi~ it was moi who originally posted this a couple of months ago. If you care for an update, we got a cheap Ikea high chair to use now & we're ordering the Tripp Trapp tonight (in orange) I did a lot of research & read a lot of reviews, and the Tripp Trapp has been around for a long time & is great quality, it will last for *many* years (and we're planning more kids so I think it's worth the $$$)...and if you did decide to sell, it has a high re-sell value, I've seen them sell (quick!) used for $130.
The Euro chair is definately not as good quality. But it does look adjustable to me (just from looking at the pics)...
GL!
Stacy
#26 of 33 Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

We basically skipped the highchair and just used HandySitt booster seats.

www.handysitt.biz

They fit on nearly any type of chair. They fold flat and are easy to chuck in the trunk if we're going somewhere. They are easy to wipe clean. They don't take up any space. They look good.

If you wait to start solids until a baby can sit unsupported (6 or 7 months) there's really no need for a high chair.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#27 of 33 Old 09-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post
Hi~ it was moi who originally posted this a couple of months ago. If you care for an update, we got a cheap Ikea high chair to use now & we're ordering the Tripp Trapp tonight (in orange) I did a lot of research & read a lot of reviews, and the Tripp Trapp has been around for a long time & is great quality, it will last for *many* years (and we're planning more kids so I think it's worth the $$$)...and if you did decide to sell, it has a high re-sell value, I've seen them sell (quick!) used for $130.
The Euro chair is definately not as good quality. But it does look adjustable to me (just from looking at the pics)...
GL!
Stacy
So how do you know the Euro chair is not good quality? Just curious, because I would like to get one as I cannot afford a Tripp Trapp or Svan.

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#28 of 33 Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
So how do you know the Euro chair is not good quality? Just curious, because I would like to get one as I cannot afford a Tripp Trapp or Svan.
Just from the reviews I've read online, the weight limit is half of what the stokke is (150 compared to 300#, not that you'd really need it to support that much, lol!) and I've read that the wood is unfinished & rough on the underside and some have had problems with the wood actually splitting...
BUT the Euro is half the price so maybe it is a good option for you, I don't know. Maybe look on craigslist for a used stokke? I've seen them on there, but they do sell quick!
Good Luck,
Stacy
#29 of 33 Old 09-16-2008, 03:29 AM

We have the Euro. I actually think it's pretty good quality. The wood is solid. It is not a light chair. I'm sure the Tripp Trapp is a better chair, but the Euro really does the job and it looks nice. And yes, the seat is adjustable.

Leslie, mom to John :, 02/25/06
::::
#30 of 33 Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
We have the Euro. I actually think it's pretty good quality. The wood is solid. It is not a light chair. I'm sure the Tripp Trapp is a better chair, but the Euro really does the job and it looks nice. And yes, the seat is adjustable.
Thanks for that. You answered my question without my even asking!

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page