I think its Ringworm! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6mo has had a perfect quarter size red circle on her bum for a week now, is it ring worm?

If not what else could it be?

If so how can you get rid of it and prevent future cases?
#2 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Sounds like it. I've had ringworm before. I tried garlic as a natural remedy but it didn't work so I used lotrimin antifungal cream.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#3 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM

I would have the pedi look at it & rule out lyme disease (depending on where you live?), two friends of ours were recently diagnosed & it seems to be more prevalent (we're in MA though).

Ringworm I thought usually starts on the scalp area? Maybe it's just an odd-shaped diaper rash?
#4 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post
I would have the pedi look at it & rule out lyme disease (depending on where you live?), two friends of ours were recently diagnosed & it seems to be more prevalent (we're in MA though).

Ringworm I thought usually starts on the scalp area?
Maybe it's just an odd-shaped diaper rash?
1st thought was diaper rash, but its on the back part of her butt cheek near her back/hip! Its too perfectly round and it has stayed the same while a diaper rash has come and gone already!
#5 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM

I'd get it double checked to lyme. Lyme stinks, trust me.
#6 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post
Ringworm I thought usually starts on the scalp area? Maybe it's just an odd-shaped diaper rash?
No, ringworm can start anywhere. It's a fungal infection, very similar to athlete's foot. I used to work in a special needs preschool and would get it all of the time. Tinactin worked like a charm, but it takes a week or two. Start soon, so it doesn't spread to other places on your LO's body or to other people. Double check with your ped to see if Tinactin is ok for babies - I'm not sure about that.

Here is an article: http://kidshealth.org/teen/infection.../ringworm.html

Google images of ringworm to see what it looks like.

You can't really "prevent" ringworm, it's contagious and you get it from touching infected people or animals (another common source of ringworm is cats). The article I pasted above says:
"It can be difficult to avoid ringworm because the dermatophyte fungi are very common. To protect yourself against infection, it can help to wear flip-flops on your feet in the locker room shower or at the pool, and to wash sports clothing regularly. Because fungi are on your skin, it's important to shower after contact sports and to wash your hands often, especially after touching pets."

Good luck!

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#7 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 01:51 PM

My little guy got ringworm a couple months ago, when he was about 5 mos old. He had half a dozen lesions on EACH leg. It was AWFUL. It looked horrible. A friend of mine said it could take as much as 5 wks to go away in a baby. They were all quarter to half dollar size. When I get it myself my lesions are always smaller than a dime.

Anyway, it took about a month for them to disappear and now he has no scarring or anything. I used TTO directly on his skin and we bathed w/ a cup of white vinegar and tto in the water.

When I was first dx'd w/ it (early teens) I remember the doc saying it can be contracted from cats or an infected person. In our family of 5, only ds2 and I have or get ringworm. Also, from what I recall, it stays in your system forever. (If I'm wrong, please let me know!)

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#8 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM

When I read about ringworm it said the spores are everywhere and they settle on all flat surfaces. It's impossible to avoid it we are always coming in contact with it. It affects people with reduced immune systems.

I don't think it stays in your system forever. I think you're thinking of toxoplasmosis.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#9 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM

There is a type of eczema that looks sneakily similar to ringworm. I can't remember now what it's called (I'm sure somebody from Health & Healing or Allergies forum would know what I'm talking about). We thought my LO had ringworm at 3 mo, a ped family member looked at it and said it probably was & to treat with antifungal cream. It got worse & spread really bad the more we used the cream, I finally came on here & realized it might be eczema, and it turns out it was a food sensitivity to eggs & soy (in my diet) that was triggering the eczema. Now I eat can't eat those things, and neither can my LO, and we are careful to dress him in cotton & use hypoallergenic body wash etc.
#10 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 03:38 PM

I thought my 3 mo had it but it turned out to be eczema!
#11 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
I thought my 3 mo had it but it turned out to be eczema!
ha, we posted at the same time while i was fixing my spelling!
#12 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM

i thought Lyme too - i know a ton of kids who've had it this year. i would definitely get it checked to rule that out.
#13 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

It looks more like Ringworm! Its only in the one spot, not really raised, just pink/red and perfectly round!
#14 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 06:00 PM

If it's ringworm, try tea tree oil.
#15 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
There is a type of eczema that looks sneakily similar to ringworm.

I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist and had to figure it out for myself. This was after several years of severe outbreaks and every imaginable sort of anti-fungal therapy. Put a little anti-fungal on it, if it gets worse...eczema.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#16 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
There is a type of eczema that looks sneakily similar to ringworm.
(nak) Yes, do not accept a dx of ringworm without a skin scraping. I see an RNP with dermatology specialty and she did a quick, easy scrape, looked at it under a microscope right in the office, and proclaimed it eczema.

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#17 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 11:48 PM

I myself had ringworm recently, on my neck, nice and visible. Confirmed by my dermatologist with a skin scraping. I used antifungal cream as nothing else (oregano oil, tea tree) did anything for it. NOTE - steroid excema cream (the kind I put on my son's excema, for instance) will only FEED the ringworm nasties, and they'll grow larger faster and more horrible. I know this b/c before I realized it was ringworm, they itched horribly so I tried Cortisone and then Desonide cream. They got huge almost overnight!
#18 of 21 Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Went to the Ped Dr. today and she thinks its Eczema! Its coincidence that it is perfectly round!
#19 of 21 Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 AM

Yes to tea tree oil. It has always worked quickly on my kids. I put a bit of water on my finger and then add a drop of tto to it before applying it to the spot. It's not a big deal.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#20 of 21 Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 AM

It could possibly be a bug bite. My LO gets them all the time, poor thing, because we live in Hawaii. Even just a mosquito bite will leave a big red welt the size of a quarter that looks awful and it will last for days. Bed bugs can get inside a diaper or pajamas and bite and leave a mark on baby. To test for a bite, run your finger over the spot. If you feel a small bump in the middle, it's a bite.

Ringworm is usually a ring where the outer edge is raised, but not the center.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#21 of 21 Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM

You can also try apple cider vinegar if you are worried about ringworm. It worked for us.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page