babies and movies which are okay to take the babe too???? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which of these moives would be okay to take a baby to? (choose as many as you want)
Hell Boy 1 10.00%
Batman Returns 1 10.00%
Hancock 1 10.00%
Harry Potter 5(once it finally comes out!) 1 10.00%
Anything 15 100.00%
Anything pg-13 or less 0 0%
Anything pg of less 2 20.00%
G only 2 20.00%
No movies are okay to take babies to 12 100.00%
other 5 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the theater near me does "baby pictures" where you can bring your baby to the movies, they keep the lights on a little and the sound down a little. At what age do you think I need to start limiting what kinds of movies I take ds to. I really want to see Hell Boy and Batman Returns, as dp and I are HUGE comic book fans, but I don't know if they might be too *scary.* DS is 11 months old now.

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM

I haven't voted yet. Just wanted to pipe in and say that at 11 months, I personally don't think it matters. I never pay attention to what's on the TV and my dd watches it here and there. I think they're too young at that age to grasp "scary" concepts.

The first sign of fear my dd displayed was the 4th of July. Yes, I took her to see the fireworks. I really thought she'd like it : A couple people warned me that she'd be scared. They were right. But, she's never showed fear over anything on tv.

I say go for any of the movies
#3 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Babies might not understand what they are seeing or listening to, but i believe they can sense intention. If they are listening to someone sad, scared, mad, or anything they can sense those emotions. You know, I don't know what that might do to a baby but I'd rather not risk it. We got rid of our tv when we learned I was pregnant. just my opinion though...

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08

#4 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 PM

nak

it's nice (sort of) that the theater does this, but i'd find a babysitter and go out on a date with dp

whether it's scary or not, dc don't and can't understand what screen/mediated images are and that they're not real

your ds would be much better served by spending that time interacting with real people
#5 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your ok with it, I'd say anything you want.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#6 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM

I chose other because i never take DS to the actual theater but we do take hiim to the drive in! It's the best date for DH and i because we get there, Ds plays in the front seat for a bit (which is way fun for him), then i nurse him to sleep on my lap (with a pillow) and he's out before the movies even start. We also pack popped pop corn from home, some candy or whatever we want to snack on and have a great time!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#7 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post
I haven't voted yet. Just wanted to pipe in and say that at 11 months, I personally don't think it matters. I never pay attention to what's on the TV and my dd watches it here and there. I think they're too young at that age to grasp "scary" concepts.

The first sign of fear my dd displayed was the 4th of July. Yes, I took her to see the fireworks. I really thought she'd like it : A couple people warned me that she'd be scared. They were right. But, she's never showed fear over anything on tv.

I say go for any of the movies
i know this is a tangent but i took ds 10 mo to the fireworks and he slept through them...until the finale, it startled him awake but i stood up (he was in the ergo) and he went back to sleep as we walked home.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#8 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 PM

Get a sitter and give yourself a few hours to yourself. Mom needs a break too!
#9 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanya1976 View Post
Get a sitter and give yourself a few hours to yourself. Mom needs a break too!
That's what I'd do. I don't see anything wrong with taking your babe to the movies if it's not too loud...but me personally, I wouldn't. Movies are...intense. I don't even like to leave our little t.v. on w/hardly any sound when my babe is in the room. It's an awful lot of stimulation for such a little one. But take this with a grain of salt--I really don't like to watch movies much at all. So I also wouldn't do it 'cause, well, I just wouldn't want to go to the movie in the first place.

One little guy born 6/17/07 : :
#10 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted other simply because I'm of the opinion that anything that makes me scared or upset is going to upset him simply because I think he is very in tune with what I feel. But I get very emotional and drawn in to movies - I LOVE MOVIES! So, for example, I wouldn't take my son to go see a scary movie or a movie about a serial killer, but I am planning on going to see Batman returns.

HTH,
Christine
#11 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM

I voted "Not appropriate!" but that's because I was a doof and didn't read the first post! I thought you were talking about bringing a baby to a regular movie, not to a special screening. Sorry about that!!

I do think you'd be better off going without, though. You need to be able to snuggle into the seat, eat popcorn and completely suspend disbelief to enjoy a movie. And that ain't happening if you're caretaking while watching.
#12 of 17 Old 07-07-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyann3 View Post
Babies might not understand what they are seeing or listening to, but i believe they can sense intention. If they are listening to someone sad, scared, mad, or anything they can sense those emotions. You know, I don't know what that might do to a baby but I'd rather not risk it.
Well, DS1 is a kid who is VERY aware of others' emotions. Once he could talk, he would ask me about a kid crying three aisles over in the market and then tell me to go HELP them so they'd stop. ;-)

But... we went to Mommy Movies all the time, even into the early toddler years, and he never paid *any* attention to the screen, much less got emotionally affected by it. I saw The Brothers Grimm with him at one of these. You'd think if anything would trigger, that would... but no.

Granted, he's a very active sort of kid, and has never been the type to get totally hypnotized by the screen. We've imposed no limits on TV watching (other than things like turning it off during dinner) and it's never been an issue to tell him "Time to go, turn off the TV." When he was a toddler he'd rather go out grocery shopping with me than watch PBSKids. ;-) Even now at age 4, he can barely sit through an animated movie, and finds live action "boring" every time there's dialogue.

So, if your DC seems to be entranced by the screen, I'd be wary about what you take them to by 11 months... but if they don't seem to pay any attention, I'd take them to any screening set aside for babies on board.
#13 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 AM

Just wanted to add another comment: I try to look at things like tv and movies for kids like I looked at "junk" food when I was pregnant: no, the cookie isn't going to hurt me or the baby, but it would be better for both of us if I ate an apple instead. Same with tv, etc.: a couple hours of tv isn't going to ruin her brain, but her brain and body would be much better served by playing a game or taking a walk.
#14 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 AM

At that age I wouldn't worry, we brought our whole family to Indiana Jones last week, my 3 yr old (who is a HUGE Indy fan) fell asleep as did my 6mo old and both woke up with about 20mins til the end. It worked out nicely!!

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#15 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 AM

I haven't taken my baby to a movie yet, but it's possible I will sometime soon. I can't really comment on what to do with an 11-month-old, because mine isn't that old yet. One suggestion on the sound/voices issue, though - get some noise cancelling earphones. I bought mine here for about $20. My little guy has been to several concerts and a variety of other loud shows, and has great fun because he can watch all the people and the lights but not be bothered by the noise. For the 4th this year we were practically under the fireworks, and it didn't bother him one bit. They come even in tiny sizes. Here's the little man in his at a Gaelic Storm concert last month.
#16 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 PM

I vote for getting a babysitter and having a good time, you can enjoy the movie much more if you don't have someone else to focus on...
#17 of 17 Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM

At 11 months, I think I'd be hesitant, because the sounds and angry expressions, yelling, etc. might be too scary. Unless you know that he's likely to sleep through them. I used to take DD when they did it here, but she was younger and generally slept through it all in the sling. If it was a violent movie or a violent part and she was awake, I put her over my shoulder and she made faces at the other babies. I guess you could try the first one, especially if it's at his nap time, and see how it goes, plan to leave if necessary, etc.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page