rolling over...and back? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-16-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hoping you experienced mamas can help...

Our 4.5 mo b/g twins have mastered the art of rolling over, from their backs to their fronts. Then they are stuck. She can pick up her head and look around, he just face plants and squirms. After a few minutes they'll either fall asleep or get frustrated and cry (more often the case). Yesterday I felt like all we did was roll them back over....and within minutes roll them back over...and again...and again.

Each time we waited it out, let them struggle a bit (or a lot) and then helped. Last night both of them (at different times) rolled over and pinned themselves against the sides of their cribs, woke us up crying, we had to re-position them, etc etc.

Are there steps we can use to help them learn how to roll over onto their backs?

sleepy mama
#2 of 5 Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie in Chicago View Post
hoping you experienced mamas can help...

Our 4.5 mo b/g twins have mastered the art of rolling over, from their backs to their fronts. Then they are stuck. She can pick up her head and look around, he just face plants and squirms. After a few minutes they'll either fall asleep or get frustrated and cry (more often the case). Yesterday I felt like all we did was roll them back over....and within minutes roll them back over...and again...and again.

Each time we waited it out, let them struggle a bit (or a lot) and then helped. Last night both of them (at different times) rolled over and pinned themselves against the sides of their cribs, woke us up crying, we had to re-position them, etc etc.

Are there steps we can use to help them learn how to roll over onto their backs?

sleepy mama
This is pretty normal, it takes more strength for them to roll from tummy to back than back to tummy, because they can't use their legs to help. They will master it soon, I did what you are doing, I just kept helping them turn when they were stuck or became frustrated.
#3 of 5 Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Our LO didn't actually really master rolling back until about 5 months after she'd figured out the rolling over... I hope that's not discouraging! We did swaddle her at night until she was around 8 months, which mostly eliminated the problem of her rolling in the night. I know all babies are different, but we really notice that our LO goes through pretty fast stages, so she did that rolling-getting stuck thing for a few weeks, and then stopped rolling over all the time and went on to other things. Maybe yours will do the same.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#4 of 5 Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM

My dd went through the same thing. She'd roll over onto her belly and then get either really angry or really upset when she realized she was stuck. Thank goodness it only lasted about two weeks. I did try to teach her to roll back, but I doubt that it made any difference. By five months she figured out how to roll onto her back and has been having a great time rolling around ever since.
#5 of 5 Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM

it'll only last a few weeks, and then you'll have mobile babies via the rolling!

i helped dd learn by showing her how to position her arms to roll over. the elbows would get her stuck.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page