Baby not pooping.. is this normal? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. I've been breastfeeding, but had to start supplementing with formula a week ago due to poor weight gain. I'm trying to build my supply by pumping, taking fenugreek, etc. However, until my supply builds we've had to supplement about half of his feedings with formula (we are using Similac Organic). Since then, my baby (who will be one month on Saturday) is not pooping. He had gone 48 hours without a bowel movement. We had a dr. appt anyway... so the doctor inserted a little tube and just played around a bit. He had a HUGE bowel movement about 2 hours later. Now it's been nearly 48 hours again and he still hasn't pooped. Should I switch formulas? Is this from the mixture of breast and formula milk? I don't know what to do!
#2 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 09:34 PM

Post this under life with a babe and you may bet more responses.
#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Life with a Babe

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

You may want to contact an IBCLC in your area to help you out with this. I worked with Kathleen Bruce while living in Vermont a year ago and if you live in that area (Chittenden County) she may be able to help you. I have learned in my LC studies that it is normal for a baby to develop what is called a "formula plug" when introducing formula to a babies diet. Formula is not as digestable as breastmilk, thus the lack of pooping. Also with all the fortifications of formula, it may cause constipation. I would suggest bringing your baby to breast first, then supplementing with any and all available pumped breastmilk, then if your baby still needs a little more, give him a little of the formula. I don't think it will matter what formula you use unless you want to try a hypo-allergenic brand. Formula does cause constipation. Just make sure you continue to pump regularly like after breastfeeding or in place of a feeding. After breastfeeding, a normal amount is 1/2 to 1 ounce. Even if you don't get much, pump. Pumping will bring extra stimulation to the breast and increase milk production. You can also try an temporary SNS (supplemental nursing system) to supplement the baby at the breast so that you don't miss out on the stimulation. You can get one from an LC. I do hope that things work out for you. Best of luck.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#5 of 7 Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 AM

When I had to supplement with formula, my DD had no bowel movements for several days, and then would only poop once every three days or so. Turns out she is very lactose sensitive which caused constipation in her. You may want to cut out or switch formulas to see if that helps. Good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Dunno about the formula aspect of it, but infrequent pooping, without any other symptoms (evidence of pain/irritability, hard stools when he does poop, etc) is not a problem.

My third child, ds2, was on a twice-monthly poop schedule from birth until he started on solids around 8 months. Once he went 23 days with no poop! But he never had any pain or unusual symptoms, and when he did poop it was normal BF poop--just in massive quantities!

We always knew when a poop was coming--the day before and the day of he would be super cranky...we'd say "Mr. Volcano is getting ready to erupt!"

Since your babe is only 1 month, he may not have settled into his own "normal" pattern yet, so in your shoes, unless he seems uncomfortable, I would definitely not worry. And yeah, adding formula might change his pattern, but again unless he seems to be in pain, I wouldn't fret about it. JMHO!

And here's hoping that the need for supplementation will be short-lived! Good luck with the supply-boosting! :

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#7 of 7 Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 PM

I could've written your post!

My 8wo dd only poops every other day or so. I have a low supply so I supplement with formula. I often wonder if there is something wrong. But I have had 2 LC's 3 nurses and 1 doc say everything is fine. No pooping doesn't necessarily mean a problem.

That being said to you. I know the stress of the breast / bottle balance and always wondering how much is enough, will it stop the bf sooner aaaaghhhhh!

Her poops are sometime marblely (a word?) bf poop seems to come out first then greenish formula poop - lovely.

Does he pee much what about gas? Does he seem in distress or unhappy?

Forgot to mention that when she was you lo's age a month ago she did go for week without pooping - still nobody was alarmed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page