Fidgety Baby! Help!~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-18-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 2 months old. He fidgets constantly, so much that people get tired holding him (me included). He wants to be upright, no - now he wants to be in a cradle hold - now over the shoulder - now facing front... ad nauseum. He keeps doing this most every waking moment (but sleeps well, thank goodness!) He hates the sling - doesn't settle down in it at all. Plus, he cries uncontrollably when we put him down. And while I'd love to hold him all day, I have a clingy toddler and household to take care of too! I'm at a total loss of what to do. I have been feeling absolutely horrible putting him down to cry sometimes but I get to the point where I need to take a break and walk away (and cry). Anyone else go through this or know of anything I can do?

Swaddling helps him go to sleep, but if he's not drowsy, he gets upset being swaddled. I'm looking forward to when he has enough neck control to wear on my back, maybe that would work?

Help!
#2 of 6 Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 AM

Are you doing different types of carries in different types of carriers? If not, maybe that would help. Neither one of my children would tolerate a cradle hold in a carrier....in a ring sling it had to be tummy to tummy, so mei tais worked the best for us ....or wraps.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 6 Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, we've tried various types of carries in both a ring sling and a maya pouch... I don't have a lot of $, so I don't want to go out and buy any more carriers if they'll just go to waste...
#4 of 6 Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 AM

Melissa this doesn't sound right for a bub this young to be like that, no matter who holds him and what position. Have you had someone check him out physically? How was the labour, were forceps used?

I'm only asking because my cousin has had two babies and both were the same, but constantly cried since birth. Upon investigation both had a shoulder or back injury from the delivery that was causing the discomfort.

I may be grasping at straws but I haven't seen a baby do that before, at least none of mine have.
#5 of 6 Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 AM

I agree w/the pp - have you tried taking him to a chiropractor?

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#6 of 6 Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM

what about nursing in a sling?? Mine liked laying in the sling if she was nursing. She was similar, and quite the fussy baby. We often had to hold her in the "colic hold" to quiet her down. Sorry I don't have more suggestions, just empathy really. Been there, its not fun, but it does get better

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page