Weaning to a bottle for bottle/breast combination feeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 month old who I really need to start taking a bottle before school starts up for me in August. Help me! He totally balks. Do I need to wait until he is really really hungry? The cries break my heart, please give me ideas so that this process goes easy. I have tried tons of nipples, all made for breast fed babies, and he hasn't taken to any of them. I am trying to get him to take the Medela nipple as this is the only one he doesn't gag on. As of right now, I haven't fed him in about 3 hours, he is hungry but does not try to suck on the nipple at all. I am only trying to get him to take 2 ozs, and nothing.
#2 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM

You need someone else to do it. He won't take it from a bottle from you when he knows you could whip it out and he could take it from the tap.

Try having a friend or partner or family member babysit him and offer the bottle then.

It always seems to be best if mom isn't even home.
#3 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
You need someone else to do it. He won't take it from a bottle from you when he knows you could whip it out and he could take it from the tap.

Try having a friend or partner or family member babysit him and offer the bottle then.

Thanks for the suggestion but this will not be possible for me. It's just me and him for now
#4 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM

who is watching him while you are in school?? See if they can get him to take a bottle!!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#5 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Play with temperature of the milk - my DD REFUSED the bottle - loudly & hungrily - until DH figured out that he did not have the milk warm enough. She does best with the BornFree bottles, and has been using the default nipple that came with them so far (5 mos) - I just ordered but have not yet opened the stage 2 nipples.

Also try different positions - bottle-feeding is definitely different from breastfeeding, and a new position might help him figure out what's what.

Let's see...you could also try offering the bottle when he hasn't eaten for a little while but is still happy & content, before he gets hungry & fussy. When we were figuring this out, DD would not take the bottle if she was freaking out.

Who will his care provider be once you start school? Can you enlist the help of that person, maybe?

Hugs, mama - figuring out the whole pumping/feeding thing can be very stressful - we just want our babes fed, loved, warm, and happy!
#6 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 03:28 PM

I was having the same problem and due to go back to work part time. I read a bunch of mainstream boards (figured since many wean early they would have some tricks : ) Anyways they suggested using the Adri or Breastflow bottles and feeding baby facing you on the boppy. After refusing the Bornfree and Adri we got Kalum to take a bottle of ebm the first time we put him on the boppy and fed via the Breastflow bottle. Unfortunately it is not BPA free but what I do is store and heat the ebm in my glass born free and then transfer it right before a feed. I also found Kalum prefers ebm warmer then room temp/just expressed temp. HTH!!
#7 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I will be using day care on campus.

I still haven't fed him but he seems alright after his cat nap. I tried with the bottle again after he woke up, he didn't cry but wouldn't suck. Instead, I guess in a goofy mood, he figured out if he blew into the nipple he could get a sip. As hopeless as a penny with a hole in it, I swear...

Ok, warmer, different positions, I will be trying it all!
#8 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM

I do think that he will probably take a bottle from somebody when you're not there, so try not to stress too much. I also agree with the temperature suggestion. My DS won't take a bottle at room temperature at all. It has to be almost body temp (like the temp it comes out at).

Do you have a friend that could try to feed him while you leave for a little while (you don't even have to go anywhere, just leave the house/apt)? That's what I did and now he will take a bottle. Plus then you'll have a better idea about whether or not he'll take the bottle.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#9 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM

Your babe is far more likely to take a bottle from someone besides you, but if that's not an option, try several different nipples, bottle temps, etc, and really try different positions. The nursing position is likely to turn the baby away if its not mama's nipple they're offered. My ds won't take a bottle at all, from anyone but me, but that is the exception rather than the rule. He has only taked about 5 ounces from a bottle anyway. Is it possible for you to stop by and feed your baby during breaks? If so, there really wouldn't be any worry. By 6 months, they will be able to offer solids, and drinks of your breastmilk from a cup, so if your baby won't take a bottle at all, and you can stop in once or twice and feed him, you can relax a little.

#10 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Honestly, DD took a bottle easier from me than anyone else- even DP (with me out of the room).

The only suggestion that I have is don't force it. Bring the bottle out every day, let him play with it, touch it, look at it, etc. Put just a little tiny bit of BM in it (so you don't waste a lot) and try a feeding. If he flips out, STOP. Try again the next day, or a few days later. I found that if we kept trying and trying to put the bottle in DD's mouth after she started to fuss, she would get mad as soon as she saw it because she had that negative association.

It took us a few weeks, but by introducing it slowly and gently, DD finally got the hang of it.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#11 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

ITA. It can be confusing if you give your LO a bottle. I let my grandma do it or a family member if his father is not around. Also we use the Adiri bottle, the nipple is breast shaped!

hola.gif
#12 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 07:12 PM

I spent a lot of time in the bottle aisle looking for the nipple that "looks like me". Turns out, I'm a gerber preemie nipple. Ah well, not the crunchiest item but dd1 and dd2 were happily bottle nursing while I was at work so I couldn't complain. And oddly enough dd2 liked ebm at body temp but dd1 liked it straight from the cooler bag. So give cool a try too if heat doesn't help.

Also, see if the campus center can help your little one with a sippy or spoon feeding if bottles just never work out. At 4-5mo a soft spout sippy may be an option. DD2 (she of the warm milk) would use the bottle but she prefered an adult cup. Someone had to hold it for her but she'd lick it up kind of like a kitten. The center may have ideas for you too since they probably see this a lot! And there are non-bottle feeding options here http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

good luck!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 13 Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 PM

I'm in a similar situation as you, mama! Solo mama contemplating going back to school in September, baby currently ten weeks. Fwiw, my older daughter wouldn't take the bottle from her father, but would from me. Weird but true. And with this babe, the daycare workers assure me that if she gets hungry enough she will take it, so there is no need to work too hard on it at home.

HTH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page