how often to bathe a baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-21-2008, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 mo has a horrible red sore area where his penis presses against his scrotum under the diaper... it even is cracked and bleeds. he's currently going without a dipe, but DH insists this is because I don't bathe him enough... he doesn't get bathed every day, more like every third day. Now I feel negligent, I just always felt that it was healthier if their skin retained some of the natural oils..

Also, would you guys put Balmex or Aquaphor on the red cracked area (where the penis and scrotum join) for when I put him back in the diaper? or leave it alone?

TIA
#2 of 25 Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM

I don't know about putting any ointment on the sore area, but before my ds started to really eat solids I would bath him once a week. Sometime with no soap.

I figure that they aren't out in the field doing manual labor. Babies just don't get sweaty dirty. So why would they need to take a bath everyday?

Living my dream. wife to dh, mom to ds1 (9/07) and ds2 (2/11), owned by pug and cat. Does it get any better than this?joy.gif

#3 of 25 Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM

at that age, it was a 3-4x per week - depending on how things looked that week. now, it's everyday.

i think some aquaphor would help clear that up!
#4 of 25 Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM

before my son was eating many solids we bathed him when we had the energy or when he was visibly a little dirty or smelly. i'm certain we sometimes went 2 weeks without bathing him and no one could tell. we did clean him up with a wash cloth daily though. now he is eating dinner every night and he tends to get messy so he gets a bath almost every night

the i don't know what to put on a rash like that. my son has gotten very mild rashes in the same area. but it never got very bad. we do lots of diaper free time, i think that's the best thing for it but i bet others have better info on rashes than i do. if your dh thinks your son needs more baths maybe he should give him baths then?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#5 of 25 Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have no idea about the rash, but I bathe her when the spit-up funk gets to me. Maybe every third or fourth day?

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#6 of 25 Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Rest assured, we have the same problem today actually and we bathe everyday without fail...even if it's 11pm. I will tell you that if you dilute about 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 2 oz of water and use a q-tip and apply or a spray bottle, it helps to take it away..for us anyway..within a day or so! We cloth diaper too and still have problems. Not always. It's usually when a tooth is on it's way or something like that...But we have it nonetheless! We break from the diapers too and this evening had pee sprayed all over and nice little turds on the carpet...We could let the dog in for that!!! Ha! J/K Good luck! I can totally sympathize!
#7 of 25 Old 07-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Put breastmilk on it at every change. When it heals keep it dry with cornstarch.
My DD had a sore on her butt that wouldnt heal no matter what, until i put breast milk on it. Then it healed in like 3 days.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#8 of 25 Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 AM

we wipe down with a washcloth everyday but bathe only 1x/2wks (no soap)

and nobody has ever questioned our baby's cleanliness

for the rash, I would let it air

and think about if allergies could be an issue

hope it gets better soon

(since there isn't a butt fairy sprinkling balm..)

mischievous.gif
#9 of 25 Old 07-22-2008, 07:47 AM

i bathe my baby two times a day! its summer now and she sweats, she pukes out the milk, she's a big time drooler so i kind of have too. good luck hun!
#10 of 25 Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM

We don't have a formal bath schedule. We've always bathed our babies when they seemed to need it... it usually works out to about once a week I guess. Most of the time a wipe with a wet, or wet and soapy, washcloth, is sufficient.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#11 of 25 Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM

My daughter has lots of curly hair and has since she was born. She gets a bath about every other day, right now, because she puts her sticky food fingers in her hair (mmm, banana!) and it's the easiest way to get it all out.
#12 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 04:21 PM

sores like that aren't from lack of cleanliness, unless you're talking about a very, very chubby baby with sores between its creases and rolls...your baby's just sounds like a bad diaper rash.
#13 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM

i;m not at all questioning diaper-changing prowess...and i haven't read ALL the posts...but we cloth diaper and i found that if i'm lax on changing the dipe (forgive me, i get busy) he gets a small rash in the same exact place. i've found that to be the biggest drawback to cloth so far.

but keeping up with diaper changes and diaper free-time do wonders for his skin.

(which just generally gets dry in the diaper area at times).

good luck!

(and if your husband thinks you don't bathe baby enough, why doesn't he jump in when he feels its necessary?)

oh yeah, and we bathe our baby about 2-3 per week and a wipe down everyday...he spits up A LOT!

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#14 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slnkl View Post
i bathe my baby two times a day! its summer now and she sweats, she pukes out the milk, she's a big time drooler so i kind of have too. good luck hun!
:

If I didn't bathe her every day, we'd have a problem.
Plus DP is convinced that it calms her down when she's fussing, (debatable) so I let him do it to empower him.
#15 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 06:22 PM

I bathe every day at 4 mo, but as a night time wind down ritual. I'm not sure if bathing has anything to do with the sore, but it couldn't hurt to try doing it daily for a week or so to see if there's any change. Also, if you're bathing dry the areas thoroughly, and maybe call the ped to find out if there are any drying powders you can use. I use a powder on my baby's neck, otherwise he would continue to get bleeding sores. You're not negligent to bathe your baby every 3 days, it sounds pretty normal.
#16 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 06:38 PM

We don't bathe every day. Too busy eating, sleeping, peeing, and pooping! Who has time for anything else?

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
#17 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
We don't have a formal bath schedule. We've always bathed our babies when they seemed to need it... it usually works out to about once a week I guess. Most of the time a wipe with a wet, or wet and soapy, washcloth, is sufficient.
:

And we use coconut oil on the red spots when they pop up. I don't know if it works, but they only last a couple of days, usually.
#18 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 PM

I bathe mine twice a week and she was getting those same sores around her neck area and in her elbow creases. What I do now, and this has completely cured it, is I just take a damp cloth and wipe around in those areas once a day and make sure they are cleaned out. Sometimes I take a little Burt's Bees apricot oil and dab it on in those areas to keep it from chafing. It seems to do the trick!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#19 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Once a week unless they need an emergency wash.

Live and love with your whole being.
#20 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We mostly spot cleaned our baby. I mean, he got a bath now and again, but mostly, we'd just run a washcloth or a spare wipe over any obviously dirty spots and out he'd go, looking bandbox fresh. Babies are like that. So I don't think your son's rash is the result of insufficient bathing, because if it were, my kid would have had the same, only much much worse.

Now that he's learned to walk, and it's summer and hot, he seems to land in the bathtub 2-3 times a week, but that's a new thing for us.
#21 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 PM

When my baby was a newborn I only bathed her about once a week. When she hit about 3 months, I started doing it maybe every 3rd or 4th day. But now that she is crawling about on the floor all day, I bathe her every day just to get the dust and dog hair off! I do not always use soap, though. Sometimes just a rinse.

I don't know about the rash, but I use Weleda diaper ointment for all my baby rashes. (I CD, too.) Have you checked into the possibility of it being yeast? You might want to check with your Dr. Both my DS and my DD have gotten yeast diaper rashes. Some lotrimin cream (over the counter) will clear it up. You could probably google for more specific instructions on that.
#22 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM

At that age I give em a bath every other day. As for the rash, I would try to locate a salve that has comfrey in it (I make my own). You could even use fresh or dried comfrey, make an infusion and make a little poultice (use something small like a baby washcloth?)
#23 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 PM

we bathe our ds about once every 2 weeks...he gets a morning face/hands/peri area/feet wipe with a warm damp cloth, but that's it for daily cleaning. we go diaper free a lot during the day...at least one or two naps/day are diaperless. and we use cloth diapers and disposables, depending on who's doing the changes (me or dh). no rashes anywhere, and we wipe and then use vaseline or a similar type ointment at every change, wet or poopy.
#24 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 PM

saw this on the new posts and just wanted to say that if the rash has anything to do with bathing (which it likely doesn't) it would be more likely that bathing him too often or with soaps would cause the problem, not not bathing him often enough or only doing a rinse. soaps can obviously cause irritation and frequent bathing can be an issue if baby isn't totally dry before the diaper goes on. baby can get moist dermatitis for one, you can destroy all the natural (good) bacteria that grow on the skin, and you can weaken the skin by stripping it of it's natural oils.

once every 1-2 weeks with wipe downs as necessary in between would seem sufficient to me for a baby that age. i wouldn't use soap every bath either, maybe every other one.

in any case, if your DH thinks lack of bathing is the problem, why doesn't he just bathe babe himself?
#25 of 25 Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 PM

It is so dry where we live, I only bathe my LO once a week, sometimes once every two weeks with sponge baths in the middle. We use very little soap, too.
As for the sore, it needs to air out and be dry before you put any ointment on it. I like Weleda Diaper Care. But if you put it on damp skin, it retains the moisture and makes the rash worse. Just let it air. Don't put any powders on it, it could make it worse.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page