Help DS 4 months wants to be held for naps - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS was the perfect happy baby till a few days ago, he fell asleep on his own in his crib or even while playing which was so amazing to me coz DD(3 yrs) was a high needs baby and had to be rocked and held to sleep and is still high needs now.
but since the last few days he is very fussy doesnt want to be put down for naps adn will wake up and cry as soon as his head touches the crib, I cant hold him all the time when he is asleep. we also co-sleep at night
is this a phase? he also seems to be teething
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM

It probably just a phase. My ds goes through "koala bear" phases every now and again, especially when he is teething. Are there any other places that he can safely sleep where you could lie down with him and nurse him to sleep? That way you could wait until he is very asleep before you sneak away.

Tiffany partner to Charlie and Mama to DS Ciaran (1/08) and DS Finnian (4/11)
Adding a third in July!

#3 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM

my ds is going through the same thing- he is also teething and I am just guessing that he needs extra love right now to get him through. ALso using the hylands teething tablets. I hold him and walk around for a while and sing our nap song then I lay down on my back with him belly to belly and kind of bounce him a little while petting his fussy peach head until he starts to nod off and then I lay him down on his belly (he can roll over by himself if he wants). Thankfully DH is so understanding about this and brought me lunch today! yay. Just do what LO needs and if it means you can't clean/cook or whatever let your partner know so they can help pick up the slack. DS was the same until this week- i could just lay him down and pat his bum for a minute and he would fall asleep as long as he was tired but now it takes way more effort to make sure he gets enough rest through the day...
#4 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:40 PM

This is quite normal, I would try a sling! You might also try sleeping with him for the first part of his nap, then trying to slip away.
#5 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Sleep regressions are common around 4 months (and 6 months fwiw)

And lots of babies won't nap unless they're on you or being held.

Do you have a good carrier?

good luck!

-Angela
#6 of 6 Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Our 4 mo has been like this since the beginning! I just enjoy it, because he's only tiny once, and it's such a good way for him to bond. I do a lot of reading while he naps on me, or have him in a sling and we go walking.

Sometimes, if he's tired but not overtired, I can lie him down in the bed and he'll suck my finger for 5-20 mins until he falls asleep, then I sneak off.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page