How long does it take for 1st tooth to come in? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure my LO is going through teething. He's been drooling and chomping on everything. He's been doing this for about a month now and a week ago, he seemed like his gums were painful. I've been giving him teething tablets for a week to give him some relief but on the package, it says to contact your doctor if the pain/irritation was still present after a week. I still can't see a tooth yet. Surely, some babies take longer than a week for a tooth to come through, right?

Christine
#2 of 14 Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 PM

my older two were in a more or less constant state of teething for the entire first year of their lives

i saved the teething tablets for when i could feel a tooth actually breaking through the skin, and/or they were obviously uncomfortable, had trouble sleeping, etc. for the rest of the time, i would either give them a toy to chew on, or wet a wash cloth and stick it in the fridge or freezer till it was nice and cold and let them chew on that.

don't know if that helps? but i hope it does.
#3 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 AM

My son is 7 months old and has been teething since he was 3 months old. He still has no teeth.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#4 of 14 Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2rey View Post
My son is 7 months old and has been teething since he was 3 months old. He still has no teeth.

DITTO!
#5 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 01:17 AM

DD started teething at 4 months and first tooth came through at 10 months, and the 2nd is just popping through now at 11 mos...

The teeth move really slowly and start from the jawbone, so it takes a while for some babies! I have friends with babies the same age who are getting molars now, so you never know.
#6 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 AM

My dentist said that the teeth will wiggle unde the gum, causing discomfort.

DD1 and DD2 had teething signs for 2 months prior to their first teeth coming through, then poor DD1 had a new tooth every 2 weeks for months after that. But she got all her teething over with.

DD3 has been teething since 2 months of age, she's 5 months old now and it still hasn't broken through the gum yet. We all keep hoping for her sake it does soon.
#7 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 AM

over 2 months here w/ drooling on and off.
a slight fever and decidedly more cranky right before the teeth pooped through.
#8 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 AM

Both ds & dd started teething at 3mo (you could feel/see lumps on the gums). DS got first tooth at 6mo and we're still waiting for dd's first tooth (nearly 8mo).
#9 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 09:07 AM

dd's first tooth popped through at 7 months and poor ds is 5 mos and has had teething signs since 3 mos. I just hope it comes through soon. I agree to save the teething tablets until he is really uncomfortable. I use a cold wet washcloth or even a cold carrot. I hold the carrot and he knaws. He can't bite a chunck off but loves the feeling of the cold. I also use baby oragel for cranky times. Good luck I know what you are going through.

Yoga loving momma to DD, Eden Raine 8/04 , DS Brett Edwin 2/08, DS Brantley Albert 12/12 and wife for more than a decade to Jason 
~Living to preserve Gods green earth~

#10 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM

I second the baby orajel for really cranky times. It let my baby go to sleep last night... of course there aren't any teeth yet, but sometimes they do need the pain relief from the teeth shifting upward.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#11 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 11:51 AM

Mine took 2 1/2 months from starting to behave teething-y to having her first two teeth. It's been fast and furious since then. poor thing.
#12 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM

My dd started teething around 3 months ago and only just got her first tooth through on Thursday.

I hope you lo gets through it quickly and without too much pain!
#13 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM

My poor kid started drooling heavily at 3 months, and popped her first tooth at 11 months.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#14 of 14 Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM

At 3 months, my DD's pediatrician said she could see her bottom teeth working their way up and that she thought DD would have a tooth by 4 months. It definitely seemed like she was teething. She got her first tooth at (drumroll) 13 months

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page