Babies and pets - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do your babies (furred and not furred) get along?

My cat, little old lady that she is, hates the baby, and avoids her when she can. When she can't, though, she sits there placidly while my daughter climbs all over her and only complains when her tail is pulled.

My friend's pug, on the other hand, adores my daughter and would come running and bark at me, whenever my daughter fussed. Now they play together (as much as a pug and 11 month old can).
#2 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 02:24 PM

Well since my baby is still completely non mobile (3 weeks old), my cats could care less about her. My 2 males will go up to her and sniff her, one likes to rub his head on her head while purring, the other likes to sleep by her! My female cat just doesn't care. My dog is getting very protective. I can't take the baby out of the house without him wanting to come too! In the car he wants to be RIGHT next to her, watching her the whole time.
CLatels likes this.
#3 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 02:40 PM

Our slightly neurotic and very loveable dog, Sasha, was scared of dd at first. (She's also afraid of strange things like wine glasses and any sort of light in the sky... go figure.) But now they are buddies. Sasha likes to be near dd while she's napping, maybe as a protective thing. I think it is very sweet. I think it's awesome for kids to have furry friends as part of the family. More ways to show love!

Leigh Ann, Wife to David:, Mama to Rowan. Exhausted and loving it (most days). 

pos.gif !!!

#4 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM

Our cats ignore the baby, and our dog (a chihuahua) respects her as a pack leader. I don't allow rough-housing and he isn't allowed to eat anything she (or the other kids) drop on the floor, unless specifically intructed.

The dog is really good about letting the baby climb on him and stuff. She just turned 1 and likes to use poor Petey as a jungle gym. Luckily he's monstrous for a chihuahua (about 10 pounds) and can physically handle it. He never growls or nips at her because she is above him in the pack. Of course I don't let her do this but it still happens a couple times a day when Mommy's back is turned.
#5 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM

Since the day he was born, our German Shepherd and Weimaraner have adored the baby. They're super gentle with him, like they know he's fragile. As he gets older and sturdier, they're getting a little bit less delicate with him.
They think we do a horrible job of keeping him clean and bathe him every chance they get.
As for the baby, he loves the dogs. I think he thinks they're people. He smiles at them and tries to get their attention in the exact same way that he interacts with the rest of the family.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#6 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

OY VAY! Please do not allow a child to climb and/or pull at your cat. You're asking for trouble and the cat would have every right to bite or scratch!
#7 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM

My 5 month old dd is very interested in our cats. She enjoys watching me pet them and wants to touch them to. I help her pet them gently by putting her hand in mine and stroking them. She loves it and the cats are cool with it to varying degrees. My one male cat will seek out her attention. I do not let the cats lay beside her or get in her sleeping space.

blogging.jpg

#8 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegiemum View Post
OY VAY! Please do not allow a child to climb and/or pull at your cat. You're asking for trouble and the cat would have every right to bite or scratch!
I have to second this and add dogs as well.

Please, for the sake of both your kids and dogs/cats, do NOT let your lo's climb on your pets. You really are asking for trouble by doing this.

The best thing you can do is teach your little ones how to properly treat ALL dogs/cats they come in contact with.

We have three large dogs and one small dog and all three of our toddlers have been taught from day one how to treat the dogs with respect and love.

Yes, there have been times the babies have hit/growled at/climbed on the dogs, but we always stop them and show them the proper way to interact with the dogs. The babies (yes, I know that at 23 months and 15 months they are really toddlers now, but they will probably still be called *babies* for some time to come ) are actually learning how to *train* the dogs and our dogs actually listen to them

If you want to see some videos of my little ones *training* my dogs here is the link www.dropshots.com/luvs

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#9 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM

Our 8 month old loves both the kitten & the dog. We do our best to teach her to treat them gently & not pull fur/ears/tails/etc. The dog is very protective. The cat (12 wks) thinks she's a playmate. Their toys at that age are very similar.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#10 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 PM

After being freaked out at first, our two dogs try to act like third and fourth parents. They'll come running when DS cries or fusses and if you don't get to him quick, they'll look at you with concern and bark. The youngest dog, however, has laid down the law when it comes to the oldest dog and the baby and now our oldest "baby" is at the bottom of the pack, but he's more laid back and happy than I've ever seen him. Youngest dog will not allow oldest dog to get around the baby when DH or I are not around.

DS loves to stroke the dogs and watch them zoom and play around the house. Yesterday, when DS was in his exersaucer, he was patting the youngest dog's head while she licked him in the face. Both were smiling/wagging tails. I was a bit grossed out.
#11 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
Since the day he was born, our German Shepherd and Weimaraner have adored the baby. They're super gentle with him, like they know he's fragile. As he gets older and sturdier, they're getting a little bit less delicate with him.
They think we do a horrible job of keeping him clean and bathe him every chance they get.
As for the baby, he loves the dogs. I think he thinks they're people. He smiles at them and tries to get their attention in the exact same way that he interacts with the rest of the family.
This is similar to mine. They love to sniff and lick dd but are really gentle with her. They are also very protective of her and constantly watch her. They also check on her in the stroller when we go on walks and people want to peek at the baby.
#12 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM

Our dog did great with DD at first. I was worried she'd be jealous, since she's been our "only" for 12 years. But she was very good about lounging around on the perimeter, not getting in the way or causing any worry. And of course we'd make time for her where it was just us and her playing. But now that DD is really good at crawling, she wants to come up and touch the dog's fur, and I know that is just asking for trouble (because I know my dog) so whenever DD is on the floor, pup gets to go in the backyard. Better safe than sorry.
#13 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM

Our 2 male cats (about 18 mos each) manage to tolerate Thomas. He'll be 9 mos tomorrow, so he's crawling, pulling up on furniture, and walking around it. He's quite mobile.

Paz doesn't really pay much attention to him and is most often hiding and doing other cat things. He's always been the more standoffish of the 2. Peter will lay there on the arm of the couch or under the coffee table and only moves if Thomas pulls on him. We try to be right there when Peter and Thomas are interacting and we DO NOT allow him to pull on Peter at all. When Peter is done, he just goes off somewhere else. He's very patient with Thomas, though, and sometimes will approach if Thomas is crawling around.

I'm sure, at some point, Peter will realize that Thomas is a good source of snacks and will spend more time around him.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#14 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
I'm sure, at some point, Peter will realize that Thomas is a good source of snacks and will spend more time around him.
That is how it is at our house In fact we consider Caitlyn to be Kaleb's (our dog) very own Pez dispenser

Mom to, Cassi,, 25 yo daughter, 4 yo twins, Carson & Camryn 3 yo Caitlyn and my wonderful 14 yo neice, Carlie
#15 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ITA with others who say NEVER let your LOs climb around on/near pets, especially those who are lying down. Our dog is the most friendly, docile creature you'd ever want to meet, and we were ecstatic when we heard he'd spent an afternoon at a 2-year-old's birthday party with more that a dozen toddlers before we adopted him. He's always been great with little kids and loves to meet them.

DS just started crawling the other day, and the dog is NOT happy. He has growled (warning only) three times when DS got too close. I know he won't bite, but I'll never leave the two unattended together and I NEVER let DS play on the dog's bed, whether the dog is there or not.

Also, for those of you with more accepting pets, PLEASE teach your kids the gentle way to pet animals. So many people (kids and adults) approach my big, friendly dog the way they do their retrievers and rottweilers, and my dog needs a gentler touch than that. Then they wonder why he's crying or growling at them! (/end PSA...)
#16 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 PM

My baby and our cat are best friends. They really seem to enjoy each other's company. The cat will come and sit down right beside the baby, seeking out her company. Our cat is exceptionally sweet (and declawed... from her previous owners) not like any other cat I have met. Still we keep a very close eye on them when they are together. We have to teach dd that most cats are not this gentle and that she must be VERY respectful of all animals.

I have a great video clip of the cat stretching a paw down towards the baby from her chair and the baby reaching back up from her bouncy seat; holding hands. They both seem to really like each other's company.
#17 of 34 Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 PM

Both the cat and the dog were present for DDs birth and both have been very good with her. Aside from one incident when the cat scratched the babies face (for which, I'm sad to say, I pretty much threw the cat across the room) everyone gets along great. DD is fine around other people's pets, and now she and the cat have learned to get along.

I think it is important to introduce animals to babies and children.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#18 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 AM

Our dog was still a puppy (what on earth were we thinking???) when DD came along - he was a bit out of sorts when she first came home, but there was a lot of upheaval. He ate a few of her sleepers, but mainly ignored her - she did annoy him when she cried, but he would just humph and go into another room. He has always been exceedingly gentle with her and they now play happily.

With DS, it was pretty well the same thing, except that I remember him sitting at the foot of our bed when newborn DS was crying one wee hour morning and he was looking at me like, "Did we learn nothing from our first experience with screaming blanket monster?". Now, he has two little pals - and the younger one still gets great pleasure from sneaking him treats, so he's on board .

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#19 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 AM

My DS is 7 weeks old and our dog is very protective of him. When my Son's Uncle came over he held the baby for the first time Lula (our dog) barked and growled at him-- as soon as he gave the baby back to me she stopped barking and curled up at my feet. She will sit at my feet if I'm feeding him or just holding him but if anyone else holds him she gets very protective. If I have him in his bouncy seat she will come over and lick his feet and then lay down on the floor next to his seat-- she is very gentile and loves DS.

Linz- Mama to DS Jack (6/08) and baby #2 due 7/25/2010
#20 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 05:43 AM

Our dog respects the baby as higher in the pack. I've been trying to keep them seperate though because my dog doesn't know his own strength/impact and he licks the baby a little too much. However he does "protect" the baby from the cats.

One of my cats loves him and sits next to him all the time. He's very patient with hair pulling-however I don't trust this cat as he has been known to turn on people so I try to keep the cat away and I always supervise the petting as I try to avoid the baby hair pulling as much as possible.

My other two cats avoid him as much as possible.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#21 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 PM

We have 2 dogs who love our son. They play togather and are very gentle with them. They let him pet and play with them, and to lay with them.
#22 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM

We have one dog and the babe and pup have gotten along wonderfully from the start. They play together, lie down together, etc. We've been lucky with that.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#23 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 PM

I think pets are a wonderful lesson in love and nurturing for children. It makes them better people.

Mel - Loving mama and wife to the A team
From little things, big things grow
#24 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegiemum View Post

our older kitties are okay around the baby. they don't like it when he cries, but they sleep together. (only as high as baby's butt though...and although i kinda was training kitty for that, i think he kinda knew himself as well, that he shouldn't sleep by his face.) our older female purrs whenever we initiate contact between her and the baby. he is only three months and we are already encouraging gentle touch and respect for the cats.

but a note on the post above...cats are FI-NI-CKY!!! Even though I trust my cats to the end of the earth with my sleepy three month old, I will be watching like a hawk when baby gets mobile. i agree that you're asking for trouble, even if it doesn't come to biting or scratching.

you know your cat best...but BE CAREFUL!!

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#25 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM

Both our dogs ( Coonhounds) adore DD, my older one especially. DD LOVES them too and shrieks with laughter when she crawls over to pet/play with them. She is amazingly gentle with them, although likes to try and eat their tails! She also loves to use my older dog to stand up....he doesn't seem to mind, but I always supervise just in case. Our younger dog ( still a puppy) even takes her squeeky toy to DD for tug-of-war! So cute.

#26 of 34 Old 08-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2AJ View Post
I think pets are a wonderful lesson in love and nurturing for children. It makes them better people.
:

#27 of 34 Old 08-03-2008, 01:29 AM

Our 3 year old boxer loved DD from the second she came home and has always been very attentive and sweet with her. He LOVES to play with her (meaning, he sits or lays down and she pulls on his lips and sticks her hand in his mouth, while he licks her hand constantly.)

Our 13 year old beagle ignored her at first completely, and now tolerates her well. She's incredibly gentle and is very easy going. She pretty much coexists with DD but will go hide in the closet and sleep on the dirty clothes if she doesn't want to deal with the baby.

I have been very aware of how they all get along, and agree that DD needs to learn how to interact with animals well, but they all do great!
#28 of 34 Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
and bang on your pets ...I feel like we want our pets to be nice to our children so the children need to be nice to our pets..A girl at daycare punched her dog in the face for snapping at her 1 year old daughter..But she would always go on about how the baby was ripping the dogs ears and slapping him in the face ect...What did she exspect would happen?That said...

I have 5 cats.4 girls and 1 boy..When Lily came home from the hospital they all pretty much ignored her except to try and climb in her bassinet..I sprayed them with the spray bottle and they learned that was a nono zone.My male cat and his sister started watching her when she cried they would meow.The others continued to ignore her.When she would be lying on the floor on a blanket my Tinkerbell would lay next to her and just watch her..(she by the way has had 2 litters and is a very good mother).My male mischeif also liked to lay next to her and give her little kitty caresses by rubbing his head on her head..The other 3? Continued to ingore her.When she started scooting and grabbing I tried to teach her gentle touches with the cats.But when she started grabbing no body except for my totally vegged out Frankie and Mischeif would stick around long enough for her to get near.

Now Lily is 11 months old..She is walking along stuff,standing and can crawl as fast as lightning.My older girls Fraidycat,Figet and Tinkerbell keep their eye on her and get up and go if she gets too near..But she has surprised them and they just sit there frozen..They don't growl,scratch or bite her..Because they know that I will always come and move her..I have always made them feel like I would never let this little person hurt them just because they were an animal.And she has had wads of their hair in her hands.I always say the kitties don't like to be hurt so we have to gently pat their hair.Now my other two will lay there and take the abuse..And go back for more..Cause they love her to peices... But I still don't let her do it..My paitence and persistance has paid off although it has been hard and I have had to be very diligent and fast...She now pats their hair.Very rarely does she pull.But when she does I just say That hurts Frankie(cause it is usually poor Frankie who is getting the hair pulled)..She is nice to you so you need to be nice to Frankie.And I will gently pet Frankie to show her and then I lead her away to her toys.

Good luck...I agree that relationships between babies/children and animals are special and need to be nurtured..It teaches both of them empathy and compassion for others.It is tough sometimes but so worth it in the end...:
#29 of 34 Old 06-26-2013, 07:22 PM

My cat is amazingly tolerant of my 18 month old, but I am worried that he is going to really hurt her because I keep catching him pulling her fur/ tail, and trying to climb on her.  I do not allow him to do it and try to model gentle behavior, but he has decided that being mean to the cat is a game.  He has never had any issues with being rough with other children, so I am surprised that he is so aggressive with the cat.  I hope that if we continue to set boundaries and model gentle behavior that he will grow out of this phase, but right now,, it seems like things are getting worse, not better.  I wonder what I could do to change my reaction when I catch him so that he doesn't think it is funny.  We have never had to discipline him before and It is very important to me to treat him with respect, but it is also not okay for him to abuse the cat.  Any advice?

#30 of 34 Old 07-03-2013, 04:34 AM

we have a cat, his name is yummy. he loves my baby boy.  one time I saw my then 2yr old boy sitting on his back, riding him like a horse but yummy did not fight he just meow until I asked my son to leave him alone. 

Tags
Baby , Pet , Pets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page