Sept 07 Mama's - Almost one year old! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Michelle, I don't know how you travel so much. It is not that anyone part of the ordeal overwhelms me, I have done it in the past. When you mentioned not being able to do WW on the road I realized just how much control I have over my life. I don't always like when dh does the grocery shopping from my list. I don't want to imagine relying on restaurants all the time.

I guess I do teach my babies to crawl down backward like the others posted. It just takes more than once and I cease to notice it. It is one step to the family room, two steps out the back door and he does those face first still. He does sneak upstairs if someone leaves the door open. I have seen him back off the couch but he always crawls toward the edge of the bed and would crawl right off if we didn't stop him. I guess al lthis means is that I have quite a bit of work to do.

Wendi, I am glad the beach was fun. I wish Dahlia was happier in the car. I am sure you do to.

We did go out to the boats. It was an adventure. We couldn't convince our middle child that the boat wouldn't sink when she got on so I sat with her for a bit. I was having terrible muscle cramps and spasms in my calves and lower back so I did not appreciate getting on and off the boat needlessly. Linus was in a ring sling and I was also wearing a life vest. To say I felt my situation was precarious would be an understatement. In our wanderings she found a butterfly net at the campstore she wanted. I was okay with that if she tried boating. Off she ran to the docks as I limped after her. Poor dh was out in the boat alone with the little girls in 95F and sun for a second trip. All's well that ends well. She even caught a butterfly. It turns out the cramping was due to dehydration - I have been alternating herbal tea, bubble water and fruit, then soup for dinner. I seem to be getting better. My mom mentioned that it was probably dehydration and then I realized Linus hadn't been wetting his diaper today. My cramps are easing and he has finally wet a diaper this evening.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM

I've been following the thread but for some reason haven't had the time or energy to post! Dh was on vacation one week so we were out and about a lot, then last week was a bit of a readjustment period for me and Lucy.

Congratulations to all the new walkers! Lucy's still not standing on her own for more than a few seconds, though she cruises around everything she can and the other day she pushed off me to stand up on the bed, then "ran" two steps before diving on top of me. She's a much more confident crawler these days but still uses one foot while she crawls, which is fun to watch! We live on a single floor so no stairs, thankfully, but Lucy does pretty well climbing backwards off our mattress (we took away the box spring but may bring it back in the next couple weeks or so).

We went for a blood draw for the allergy tests yesterday. It went pretty well, better than I anticipated--she cried when we held her still but didn't seem to notice the needle after that, stopped crying as soon as it was over, and the ladies were very nice and very quick (and got the vein on the first try). We went sort of back and forth about whether we should do it after the posts here, but since we only have one car and it's usually at work with dh, I wasn't terribly comfortable not knowing if she's severely allergic to anything else that we might introduce her to. Eggs and wheat are my main concerns (not sure if I mentioned that before), since we have some family members with those allergies. Hopefully we'll get the results this week and they'll give us some insight one way or another.

I finally cut all dairy out of my diet, which has been really hard for me, even though I'd cut down so much since she was born. I had a rough couple days of feeling like a mean, selfish mother for wanting to "cheat" and have a little cheese, but I'm committed to doing what's best for her health and realize that it'll be a good adjustment for me and dh as well. Since we can't eat my favorite fast foods, we're trying a bunch of new Amy's frozen meals this week to get some ideas about what we like and what we could make on our own, etc. We're terrible about cooking so having the frozen stuff is definitely a plus at the moment. I've also lost another pound or two over the past week, so the fact that I'll probably be losing weight faster eating this way helps me stay on track!

My tutus were put up on the website but because of the markup, prices seemed a little too high to me, so I made some samples this weekend to reassess my time estimates and whatnot and I've reconfigured the prices to be much lower. I'll post the website when everything is fixed! (Am I allowed to do that here?)

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Hi ladies. I was wondering how Aili would learn to go down the stairs too. Sometimes when I take her down, I go on my butt so she starts to get the idea.

So glad that my sis's wedding is over. Going to the rehearsal on Fri, Aili whined and cried most of the way. I ended up taking an exit and feeding her by a corn field. On the way home, same kind of situation. Then, on Sat, I tried to give her a good nursing before strapping myself into my dress, but she was too distracted. My nephew pushed her down the aisle behind me and poor little girl looked mortified: Why isn't Mommy holding me . . . Why does she keep walking away? My dh held her outside the ceremony.

She was much happier at the reception. I'll get better pics of her in the dress. She had no shoes on after the service b/c I forgot her comfy shoes at home.

Here they are:

the morning of the wedding
excited to be flower girl

Aili and dh

Aili and sis's new bro-in-law
sis, new husband, & cake
sis, Aili, & I
Aili and I
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

those brought tears to my eyes! Probably influenced by the fact that Chaya is going to be a flower girl in October, but my goodness, Aili looks fantastic and beautiful and precious

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 08-25-2008, 10:53 PM

The photos brought tears to my eyes too. I thought I was just being dopey because it started when I saw the wedding cake. I think it is how happy and beautiful everyone appears. So sweet, I wish your sister much happiness.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:05 PM

I want to eat her up! And you look really pretty, too!

Mama to three  
Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Oh my! Aren't those just the most lovely pictures of a beautiful baby and her beautiful mama! Thanks for sharing.

Dahlia is talking soo much! She said "all done" this morning and I asked her if we could be all done nursing and she popped off and said "mowr" and relatched. AWWWWWW She is just so cute and getting more amazing by the day. She just makes me so :

Wendi
Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Attention wonderful women: If you are the one to start next month's thread please do not move us to toddlers yet. I am not ready.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
Attention wonderful women: If you are the one to start next months thread please do not move us to toddlers yet. I am not ready.
OMG! I hadn't even considered that we would have to move!

Aren't they going to be babies forever? sniff sniff

I totally agree that we are NOT ready to move to toddlers yet. Not until ALL the babies are walking.

Wendi
Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Yeah! I am not sure that Linus will walk before Christmas if my older September/October babes are any guide!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 PM

toddlers....

:

Alia + Brian proud parents to Rowan (9/8/04) Lila (9/3/07) and Rhys (6/11/10)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey mommas,

I wrote a long post yesterday but had issues with the library computer so was never able to post it. We're having the carpet replaced this week and had our porch and deck re-stained over the weekend. I did a ton of landscaping and laid mulch, it was hard work but as sad as it sounds I was happy to be doing something by myself for a while. Somebody should have warned me that toddlerhood would be so much harder than the newborn/tiny infant stage. He is so strong-willed and sprited that it's hard to keep up with him and maintain my sanity.

I feel absolutely crazy for TTC right now but I know that things will improve over time and we'll be trading over the hard stuff now for something else. I'm O'ing now as we speak so we shall see how it turns out this month.

I am not ready for first birthdays at all and I can't believe we'll be moving! We will have internet by Friday so I will hopefully be actively posting again soon, I miss everybody!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 AM

HI.

I am sooo far behind right now and have sketchy internet. I think it *may* be a bill we are willing to part with for a bit. Things are just tighter than we thought right now and layoffs are looming at Dh's work right now. They are thinking about outsourcing his entire department. There are only 3 of them (he's IT) but still.

Just haven't been in a very good place and without insurance right now, I haven't been able to go and talk to anyone. I figured I'd have to hit that wall soon and I have. This is the first time I've been online in what seems like forever.

I am having a very hard time with Lilah turning one TODAY. She still has sweet milky breath in the mornings and after naps and her face still looks like a baby still. We aren't fully walking but trying our best. If you look at her and say, "Lilah kiss?" she crawls as fast as she can over to you, lips puckered and kisses you. Today she hugged her Chewy Frog and it melted my heart. I looked over at her and she had him in the crook of her neck with her head down on him swaying back and forth. I cried. She's just the sweetest most aboslutely wonderful child.

We aren't having much of a party. My best friend (who told me today is marrying the man she's known for 3 weeks. yeah. that's what i said), my sister and MIL. I don't know if my stepdaughter will be here. She hasn't been here in a month by choice. I don't want her to come just for cake. I want her to come and be here with everyone. We'll see I spose.

But anyways.....

Happy Birthday to those that I have missed.

I hope to try to catch up within the next few days....as much as I can.

I hope this finds everyone full of : and .

Big to all.

I miss you.

ps. Can we take a bit and not ease into Toddlers?????? I am so not ready for her to be a toddler. We aren't toddling yet....
Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 AM

I am not ready for "toddlers" yet either. Can't they just stay babes a little longer??? Lucy is full on walking a doesn't want to be held, but wants to hold your finger and walk around. We are still in Vegas...2 more days of work and then a little r&r.

Sunshine-hugs Mama. Happy Birthday Lilah!!

Katie-I hear ya on the strong willed "toddler". I am right there with you.

Wendi-I can't believe Dahlia is talking so much. The "mowr" is adorable.

Sabo- Aili is such a cutie. You 2 are beautiful.

My sister is flying in tomorrow with her husband and 19 month old son. I can't wait. She is going to tell my parents that she she is expecting again. Yeah!!

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
Old 08-27-2008, 01:32 PM

Katie I hope you get settled quickly. Liam seems like a pretty intense kid and I bet it is hard keeping him roped in. I miss you and will be glad when you are posting regularly again.

Michelle you are almost done and home! I can't believe how much Lucy is walking. Dahlia has apparently traded talking for walking. She is starting to stand on her own for a few seconds here and there.

One more week until Eavan goes back to school. We went to the open house yesterday and he was like a duck to water. His school is so amazing. They remodeled during the summer and it is even BETTER. : He got to see his friends and we found out they are all coming back this year. I just wish he was a dream child at home like he is at school. The 45 minutes we were there he was PERFECT. We get back in the car and it is ON! So hard to cope with sometimes. I will be happy when he isn't waking Dahlia every morning. I swear he is going to be a lawyer the way he argues and negotiates.

I am going to try to make it to yoga tonight again.

LWAB it seems that Dahlia doesn't have dairy or egg allergies! : She has eaten yogurt and scrambled eggs now without any reactions.

Wendi
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM

Sunshine Big hugs to you and your one year old! I hope you find a sudden windfall of cash.

This is my day today : : :

I hope yours is going better.

Wendi
Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 PM

We got our test results back from Lucy's allergy testing and her results were "very high" for milk, "high" for egg white, wheat, and peanut, and "low" for soybean. I guess the combination of calcium fortified OJ (often has milk products in it) and peanutbutter toast (peanuts and wheat, obviously) were most likely the source of the eczema on her face back in the spring, which faded after I stopped having that stuff for breakfast. We'll be meeting with an allergist soon, and Lucy and I will be going milk, egg, wheat, peanut and soy free in the meantime! I'm hoping it will actually be a positive thing for us to help us eat better (read: at home) and make things ourselves.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:28 PM

I am glad you got some answers through allergy testing. We may have to do that with Eavan because he is starting to show more allergies besides dairy and I am having a hard time pinning it down. I am not sure how I could do it though because he is a freak about blood and such.

I hope that you are able to find things to eat that are easy and satisfying. I hope it turns out to be a positive thing for you.

Wendi
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 PM

It is great to hear from some of you long lost mommas. Katie, moving is stressful for everyone. Liam may settle in a smoother rhythm soon.

I hope things settle down in a nice, calm, happy way with much less excitement Sunshine. Happy Birthday to your little girl.

Ishy, you have a great take on some potentially troubling news. I will hope you are able to find foods that satisfy both of you and that the allergies are outgrown over time. It is great that you do know what to avoid. We had a tiny (in comparison) bit of allergy issues with my third child and I hold my breath everytime Linus tries something she struggled with. (mostly egg and soy)

Michelle, get home safely.

Lactivist, I hope you get some restful slumber and have a better day tomorrow. Your coops have been so tempting, I have been mostly looking at bravado and enwrapture but haven't taken any action yet. I hope it closes before I makeup my mind.

I am having trouble finding time to get online recently. It is the tierra farm coop that motivates me so I am off to check in on that.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:48 AM

I'm not ready for toddlerhood, either, but then, I look at Chaya and I think she is still so baby like and I wonder if she's behind. I know, but I'm a mom and I worry.

She is totally signing! At dinner tonight she was going nuts with the "more" sign (which she also likes to use when I pry her off the staircase)

I am sitting here watching a show about the Duggars and sewing black felt into our bedroom drapes in an attempt to create blackout curtains. The days are long so far up north... of course, the weather and season is about to change but I have to do something about these 4:30 am wakeups. Hopefully these a black room will help.

We tried nightweaning..... I made it 3 nights and decided I was not committed. The last night of it I pretty much climbed over Dh to get to baby, and as I fell over her dad, she reached her arms out to me. *melt* Neither of us are ready for night weaning, I guess. It just sucks because I. AM. SO. TIRED.

hugs to all y'all mamas!

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM

A bit ot, perhaps more of a tao, but... We received a pumpkin in our CSA box this week. I wanted to do something special with it so I was going through the cookbooks. Many of the recipes called for pumpkin seeds, not pumpkin flesh. I found myself wishing I had some of those tasty little pepitas. I decided to just sub the pumpkin for sweet potato in a curry recipe. Imagine my surprise when I cut open the pumpkin and found, yep, you guessed it, pumpkin seeds. I am such a dork. I don't know why I couldn't connect the dots. It couldn't be all my little distractions could it?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
A bit ot, perhaps more of a tao, but... We received a pumpkin in our CSA box this week. I wanted to do something special with it so I was going through the cookbooks. Many of the recipes called for pumpkin seeds, not pumpkin flesh. I found myself wishing I had some of those tasty little pepitas. I decided to just sub the pumpkin for sweet potato in a curry recipe. Imagine my surprise when I cut open the pumpkin and found, yep, you guessed it, pumpkin seeds. I am such a dork. I don't know why I couldn't connect the dots. It couldn't be all my little distractions could it?
That is really funny and just like something I would do. It is totally related to life with a babe because we could think much clearer than we do if it weren't for our babies waking us up all night. SEE related!!!

Falicia that is great that she is signing so much. Dahlia seems really babyish to me sometimes too. She is just doing her own thing on her own time frame. Sorry nightweaning didn't work but that description was

Today Dahlia woke up and she was still sort of sleepy. Sometimes she likes to get right up but sometimes if she is still grumpy she will go back to sleep. I asked her if she wanted to get up and she put up both arms to me. AWWWW!!!

Today is already a much better day. Even though I got up early I am in such a better mood. Seeing 200 on the scale this morning certainly didn't hurt. I have lost 9 pounds in August. : Also making it to yoga last night made all the difference in my mood. I love yoga!
Wendi
Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM

Thank you all for the lovely compliments. You're sweethearts!

So I was blissfully ignorant of the fact that our babies become toddlers in a very short time. I'm a little peeved that you enlightened me. . . I still love you all, but don't do it again!

Faliciagayle, How funny that Chaya wants more of the stairs. Aili is pretty passionate about them too. So nursing at night makes you more tired? It seems the opposite for me.

Aili was sleeping in the bed with us, but we have recently side-carred her crib. I slept so much better with her right next to me, able to nurse whenever she wanted, than I have been sleeping the past couple of nights. Someone, please tell me it gets easier and how to make it easier. I end up pulling Aili into the bed somewhere between 1:30 and 4 b/c I get frustrated with hearing her start whimpering, knowing exactly how I can make it stop, leaning my chest into the crib and waiting for her to drift off again so that I can try to get comfortable again.

lactivist: the "mowr." Soooo precious. Congrats on the weight loss. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the yoga. I haven't done yoga regularly since Aili was born and boy do I miss it.

sunshine's mama, It is kind of crazy that our babes are 1 now. We have to trade in those sleepy cuddles for children who race at us full-steam for hugs. That will be nice, but I'll miss the little baby times too.
Happy belated birthday to Lilah!

ishyfishie, oh my, poor Lucy. Well, now that you know the problem, she will feel so much better. Yay!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM

I AM SO MAD! someone stole dh's bike last night. we only have one car and that bike was pretty important to us. when he gets home from his classes we're going to file a police report and figure out what to do. ugh, PEOPLE! :

Lila had lasagna for the first time last night. It was so funny, I was giving her some tastes off my fork and she kept wanting more so I threw a little in the blender (she's still not too thrilled about "chunks") and man she scarfed it down. How funny that she started signing "more" for the first time last night, wonder why? lol. She does the sweetest thing lately. I call it "cheek hugs"...she will nuzzle her cheek into mine and make this little "ahhhh" noise, it's too cute.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Posting from the library again so it will be quick. We are done DTD for this month and now we wait. I think we had pretty good timing but I need to plug everything into fertility friend and see what it says. I ovulated earlier than it predicted but we timed everything right so we shall see.

Things with Liam are slightly better but still very hard. He sleeps really well so that isn't a problem, he is just very high energy during the day and always on the go and getting into everything. He gets very frustrated about not being able to communicate with us and that's when the crying and screaming and hitting starts, or when we prevent him from doing something.

Signing - Falicia that is great about the signing! We're encouraging Liam to sign more during meals because he screams and grunts when he wants more. This kid probably eats as much as I do, I swear.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=maylea_moon;12055241]I AM SO MAD! someone stole dh's bike last night. we only have one car and that bike was pretty important to us. when he gets home from his classes we're going to file a police report and figure out what to do. ugh, PEOPLE! :
QUOTE]

I hope the police are able to find whoever did it!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:37 PM

I am so glad you can see how LWAB related my pumpkin story is. Honestly, I used to to be such a smart, together woman. I mean, my wit can be so fast and sharp that dh once told me a couple of his co-workers were afraid of me. Now all I can manage to say at dinner is "Worry about your own tummy please."

Falicia, I hope you find your nights restful if not sleepful. Your little Chaya sounds so sweet and in love with her momma.

Wendi, I am glad you are having a better day and congrats on the weightloss. I love yoga but haven't done any since Linus was born. Part of my problem is that the best teacher in town teaches through the hospital now and I hate to give that place any money. I may just have to swallow hard and participate in their 'wellness' program.

Sabo, please forgive me for interrupting your babytime. Please disregard any talk of toddlers.

sunshine's mama, How is the second year with Lilah starting out?

ishyfishie, I am making roasted veg with curry (Moosewood Simple Suppers) and will serve with rice. I think you can have that for dinner so come on over. I've been thinking about you and yours and the allergies.

maylea_moon, I hope you find that bike. : for you.

Well, Linus loves food. I think he is a carbo loader. When in doubt we just hand him a heel from a loaf of bread and he is happy. He loves pb&j and will sit and beg at your feet if you have one. Pasta (cheese ravioli) and pizza are also favorites. Crazy baby, doesn't he know those aren't great choices???

Katie, I hope everything works out as 'planned' for you and that Liam eases up a bit as he gets used to new surroundings. He sounds like a very energetic little boy. Let us know what fertility friend tells you.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 PM

Hey all, we filed the police report and dh is out scoping the pawn shops right now. I really hope we find the bike.

Katie - Do you have a link to your chart? I'm a massive chart stalker good luck!!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Funny enough I realized that the problem yesterday was ME!
I know it's hard to believe but I was being totally grumpy and inflexible. Eavan is basically acting the same way today but I am just rolling with it and everything is fine. INTERESTING. It is just so hard to control myself some days. Apparently yesterday was one of those bad days for me but I was blaming him all day.

Today is SO much better.

Dahlia very much enjoyed the blueberry muffins I made yesterday. Apparently everyone did because they are all gone! :

Yoga is turning out to be so great. I love the instructor. I have actually made it 3 weeks in a row!

I am taking Eavan to the naturopath tomorrow to hopefully clear up some rashes and get him balanced out.

Maylea I am so sorry to hear about the bike and I hope you recover it in perfect condition.

Katie I will be keeping my fingers crossed. You better not abandon us when you join your new ddc. I hope you are settling in well.

Wendi
Old 08-28-2008, 08:19 PM

about the pumpkin seeds.

katie~ I agree... we need a link to that chart! :

i only have a sec but wanted to post a sec about ru. she keeps holding her shoes up, saying "eh?" which is how she asks for things. see, now they represent the playground... which i used to be able to take her to in her stroller & lily would play, ru & i would sit & i would feed her o's a couple at a time, all leisurely-like... now dh has her spoiled and she wants to PLAY at the playground which means no more sitting for mama.
okay, it's not that bad... i just miss sitting there with her .
toddlers, huh? :

User Tag List