Sept 07 Mama's - Almost one year old! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post
today when I was changing one of Ezri's diapers, I noticed something coming out of her little bum. When I pulled it out, it was a whole FEATHER! She just kind of smiled and sighed once I got it out. It was small, but still! I swear this kid puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!
: especially at the smile and sigh

I just told DH that story, and he said a few days ago a mom told him a story about what she recently pulled out of her 4yo's bum.....

3 feet of dental floss!

Mama to three  
#62 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM

faerieworld - i wanna go (where's the whining mom smiley?)

STTN - :. Seriously, I dont expect that to happen for at least another year. But I'm too lazy to try night weaning :.

Katie - at the mini-golf

Wendi - i'm jealous of the blueberries. although dh planted 5 blueberry bushes here, so some year we'll have a lot of blueberries (hopefully)

i think jamison is working on molars. she still hasn't got her second lower lateral incisor, but she's jamming stuff way in the back of her mouth to chew on, and she's super-cranky and comfort-nursing *a lot*. it doesn't look like they're near the surface, but i hope they come soon because this is getting old.

Mama to three  
#63 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 01:42 PM

sttn - um, I just got my 2 1/2 year old to do that sometimes I know Cian is nowhere near ready to night wean. He is very happy go lucky during the day and is a very content baby most the time, but at night, when he wakes, only the boob will do. I tried to keep this from happening, as DH used to soothe him back to sleep if he had recently nursed, but thats not working anymore. He gets hysterical. Even if DH puts him in a carrier he wont calm down. Ahhh, this too will pass (hopefully sooner than later!)

I am so bad at responding to everyone personally...sorry, I do read and respond in my head

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#64 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

mrsb - That is so great about daycare, I'm so glad he'll be closer to you now!

Ishy - Have you tried hyenacart or etsy as well? Both of those focus on handmade items. I have found that Ebayer's are really just looking for cheap and they don't understand or care about the work that goes into hand-crafted items.

No word yet, I've prepared myself to be disappointed if we don't find out today but there's still time yet. Andrew has PT at 1 and then work at 3pm until midnight, so it should be much easier days for us. Next week he has off entirely until graduation on the 13th. It's hard to believe that we've already spent 99 days here.

Nursing - The day after ovulation to the day AF shows are painful for me because of hormones, I'm going to start taking EPO because I've heard that can help. So far I'm happy with nursing and I don't have any goals as far as weaning.

Signing - He appears to understand a few signs now but doesn't sign many. Yesterday he made me sign mom over and over by bringing my hand back and forth to my face He always laughs when I sign for dad

Well he's running around with the garbage can lid so I probably should go. Cross you fingers for us!

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#65 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Ishy - Have you tried hyenacart or etsy as well? Both of those focus on handmade items. I have found that Ebayer's are really just looking for cheap and they don't understand or care about the work that goes into hand-crafted items.
I was thinking about that, do you know what the fees are to sell on either one? I'll go check it out. I think I'll start by listing them on a local forum that I'm on and see if it goes anywhere.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#66 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
sttn - um, I just got my 2 1/2 year old to do that sometimes I know Cian is nowhere near ready to night wean. He is very happy go lucky during the day and is a very content baby most the time, but at night, when he wakes, only the boob will do. I tried to keep this from happening, as DH used to soothe him back to sleep if he had recently nursed, but thats not working anymore. He gets hysterical. Even if DH puts him in a carrier he wont calm down. Ahhh, this too will pass (hopefully sooner than later!)

I am so bad at responding to everyone personally...sorry, I do read and respond in my head
Um, what she said changing the names to protect the innocent.

Welcome to the new mommas, I am so glad to have more chatters.

Today is rough. For some reason we decided to start our school year today and it is stressing me out. I gave my almost 10 yo her choice about school this year and was shocked when she chose to stay home. I don't feel like I can encourage her to go to school with out it sounding like she isn't welcome at home. I had thought she would choose to go this year and then after a great year I was going to suggest that my oldest give it a try. Then another child and so on. I had it all worked out in my head. You wouldn't believe how much freetime I had.

Linus is really cruising and moving between pieces of furniture. He is also grinding his teeth today. I so wish that would stop. He got a big boy haircut and is adorable. If I can get a photo that doesn't show a messy house or some other problem I will post it later.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#67 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM

I put up some various pictures of Kaija's belly, a midwife appt, cute kids, and a couple pictures (we only got the camera out in the parking lot) from faerieworlds yesterday. You can see my haircut in the last one. Don't mind my horns! Also my eyes look weird because I had crazy purple makeup on for the festival. http://tinyurl.com/5owmbs

Wendi
#68 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post

Jbirdbrain - Wow mama! I wish I had your energy. We are trying to decide whether to go with a bike trailer or seat. I am worried the trailer would be harder to maneuver with. Any thoughts?
The trailer is probably a bit harder to maneuver with but I've found it to be a lot less so than I expected. I just try to watch the bumps! We went with the trailer because 1) I bike him to daycare and then to work and its convenient to have a place to stash my breast pump, purse, lunch, etc. and 2) Even if I crash on my bike, the trailer remains upright...I think I'd be all nervous if he was on a seat behind me- but that's just me!

Breastfeeding: While some of you are trying to night wean, I'm thinking about day weaning! I know that sounds weird, but I'm really tired of pumping at work. I'd like to phase out at least those two pumpings shortly after Otto turns one. I'll still gladly nurse him in the morning and at night for as long as we both are ok with it. I just hate my breast pump!!!

First Birthday Our plan right now is to have a small backyard BBQ with family and close friends. We'll do the cake thing and our plan is to get him a wooden rocking horse..hopefully keepsake quality and one that can be handed down to any future kids/grandkids/whathaveyou.

Foods Otto is SO OVER being spoon fed. We never did much of that at home (just let him self-feed) but they were giving him purees at daycare because they were uncomfortable with the self-feeding thing for babies younger than 10 months. (which I respected). Anyway, he won't have anything to do with that anymore! Its all about doing it himself and some of his favorites are: pancakes, green peas, tortillas, little pieces of chicken, egg yolk, cubes of tofu, carrots (steamed)...

I have a question...those of you with older kids...when did you introduce plates/bowls and utensils?

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#69 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
I put up some various pictures of Kaija's belly, a midwife appt, cute kids, and a couple pictures (we only got the camera out in the parking lot) from faerieworlds yesterday. You can see my haircut in the last one. Don't mind my horns! Also my eyes look weird because I had crazy purple makeup on for the festival. http://tinyurl.com/5owmbs

Wendi
Great pictures!

Mama to Otto (9/07) and expecting Greta (EDD 6/13)  familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.giflactivist.gif

#70 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Jeanine and Frida - you both have brought much : and : to this house today.... thanks!!

also, uhm, after reading some of your plans for your kiddos first birthday gifts, I feel kinda silly for wanting to get her Legos.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#71 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post

bhawkins, would you mind going into more detail? How did you get her back to sleep at those times when you knew she wasn't hungry? How many nights did it take to break the every hour habit?
I didn't really do anything too specific, actually. I just was at my wits end one night and I just decided that my goal was to go 3 whole hours without nursing. To my surprise, she really didn't cry that much at all. It was more like whining and lots of other actions to let me know that she was irritated (pinching, whacking, crawling over me) but none that made me think she was starving:. And once she wore herself out and went back to sleep, she slept much longer than she had been. It really only took two nights of that till she was sleeping till around 3 on her own. I haven't tried to push it any further and don't plan to for a while. I'm really happy to be getting several hours in a row.
#72 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
also, uhm, after reading some of your plans for your kiddos first birthday gifts, I feel kinda silly for wanting to get her Legos.
We love our duplos here - all five kids will sit on the floor and build together. They are fun for the little guy and very rewarding in that structure get big fast as compared to regular legos. There is also no choking bits to worry about. Go for it.

Great photos and cute pixie cut Wendi. I would so enjoy coming over for a cup of coffee and any baked blueberry item. :

#73 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Wendi - Look at that belly! I love the horns, your hair looks great!

Ishy - I think hyenacart and etsy are both fairly afforable, it's hard to say which is better than the other because they're both so different.

Probably not today. Andrew called the person again this afternoon and he told him to just keep checking his email but the orders still haven't been sent. They're 3 hours ahead of us so it's unlikely that it'll show up today. I guess we'll be waiting again tomorrow.

We just got back from the pool and little while ago and Liam is taking a nap. We haven't been in forever but he had a good time and I was able to get some sun while chasing him around. It looks like we went just in time because it's about to rain again.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

#74 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke too soon....We are going to......
Fort Bragg, North Carolina!

It was number 5 on our list so we are happy. We have friends there and Andrew was born there, we are close to good vacation areas and the weather will be nice. My midwife with Liam is in North Carolina now so there's a chance I could have her again for the next baby. I am very happy. Now I just need to read the email and see if there's any info about deployment. Woohoo!

#75 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Hey Mamas! I don't have time to respond to everyone, but here goes...

Bikes: I've had both my kids on bikes, but the bike had a motor. I wear one in the mei tai and I have a harness that hooks dd to me, should I have to bail. They both have little tiny helmets. Its slow trail riding, mostly.

STTN: HA! That's all I will say, cuz it ain't happening here.

jbirdbrain--did you know you can pump wean without weaning completely during the day when you are together? I did that after dd was 14 months and my body responded perfectly! I ditched the pump at work and continued to nurse her as much as she wanted on my days off. Let me know if you want more info.

mrsb: congrats on the daycare!

Katie: you FINALLY know! :

Faliciagayle--I am probably getting ds legos, too. I know they are plastic, but both kids played with them at a friends house and LOVED them, mosty because they fit together. If I knew of a wood product like that I woudl get them, but the legos were a hit!

Wendi--Kaija . I love her belly. And I LOVE your hair! You look HOT!
#76 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Woohoo! I am so glad you can finally make plans and it isn't somewhere you hate. :

Wendi
#77 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 PM

WooHoo Katie! That is great news! Ds1 was born in NC and I have many fond memories of living there (Dh has a Duke Phd). I am so glad you know.

STTN - sometimes if the little boy won't go to sleep at all dh takes him for a walk. I suppose I could ask him to do that during the night. Seriously, I am not really trying to change anything, just live with what I have. I didn't really think about it until it was mentioned here.

Over the weekend Linus' appetite was awoken. He is still nursing everytime he notices me but he is eating like a piggy. He is clearly asking for any food we have and then enjoying it with gusto. Last night he took dh's late night pb&j, ate it, nursed (peanut butter can make one so thirsty ) then went for his nightly walk to sleep. I've seen this happen before and let's just say I made three loaves of bread today instead of just the usual one loaf. :

#78 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I made three loaves of bread today instead of just the usual one loaf. :
oooooooh I didn't know you baked! I've been baking challah for Shabbat each week for a couple years now with success only very recently. I just started making bread daily because I got the book "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day"

it is most excellent.

:f you have any tips you can share, that would be super sweet::

#79 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=KatieJD;11861164]

[QUOTE]

Well, I was hoping you were going to say Ft Bragg, California . But, I'm glad you know where you're going (finally) and I'm glad you're happy about it :

Mama to three  
#80 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 PM

hi-- jumping in a bit earlier this month!

lilyana is communicating so much lately, especially repeating words like "uh oh" and "thank you." i need to learn more sign language cuz she's also signing "more" and "all done."

we've done elimination communication since she was about 3 months, and she's starting to crawl to her potty when she has to go. Sometimes! she's standing solo for 2-4 seconds and seems itching to walk! she gets so many bonks on the head these days!

Better sleep in the night (esp. 7:30pm-12:30am), but often pretty wakeful after 4:30am. maybe actually hungry?

we have 7 weeks til bday, so no real plans yet...except carrot cake!

finger food faves: grated carrots, cheese and O's cereal, plus a homemade oat/banana teething biscuit.

dh and lilyana's uncles (who live with us) can all successfully take her for walks, where she naps. i actually miss her at least as much as she misses me-- probably more! so i get a little break abt 3-4x/week.

i appreciated all the bf'ing comments. hadn't occurred to me to have a goal. i think i wont initiate any changes at least til 1.5 years.

someone asked abt living in maine-- if you have specific q's let me know.

-delilah
#81 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Awww, Jeanine - It would have been great if we lived close. I was envisioning the worst and when he called to tell me I didn't believe him.

#82 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM

Yay Katie!!! Thats great news!
#83 of 361 Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 PM

everyone's all about the carrot cake ....no carrot cake here for dd's birthday.

she's allergic to carrots!

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
#84 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 12:09 AM

I just weighed. 188.5!!! That's down from 202.5 a little over 2 weeks ago! I know a lot of its water and such, but its a huge loss either way, and its giving me a ton of motivation!
#85 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Woohoo, Forestrymom! That is awesome!

#86 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 12:51 AM

Yippee Katie- I am so glad you know where you are headed. When will you be moving?

Forestrymom-OMG way to go on the weightloss I am so treading water right now. I so want to lose the weight, but keep putting the stuff in my mouth. I am not gaining, but I am slllllloooooowwwwwwly loosing when I could be losing much faster. WAY TO GO!!

Lucy took off yesterday pushing her cart around the room....just stood up and started pushing it all over. I stood there with my mouth open.

My mom got her a walker for the office/warehouse a few months back. (I wasn't crazy about the whole idea) She would just sit in it and push herself backwards. Well she put her in it today and Lucy stood straight up and just "walked/rolled" all over the warehouse. I had a little shadow for the short amount of time I allowed her to be in it. She loved it...she was just cruising through the aisles of clothing as I pulled orders.

Michelle Mama to Lucy 9/07
"Seek the wisdom of the ages but, look at the world through the eyes of a child" Ron Wild
#87 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

We are supposed to report on August 14th but they'll give us a few days for travel since it's a 30 hour drive : Yay! for Lucy taking off, now the fun really begins!

#88 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestrymom View Post
I just weighed. 188.5!!! That's down from 202.5 a little over 2 weeks ago! I know a lot of its water and such, but its a huge loss either way, and its giving me a ton of motivation!
wow! awesome!

come do the Hundred Pushup Challenge with us!

#89 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
We are supposed to report on August 14th but they'll give us a few days for travel since it's a 30 hour drive : Yay! for Lucy taking off, now the fun really begins!
seriously? didn't you JUST get to AZ? yikes katie! you have a great attitude about all this it's inspiring.

#90 of 361 Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 AM

Good morning ladies. I just wanted to jump in and say Hey. I can't believe our babies will be one soon. I know a lot of us started in August so Happy Birthday to any August babies!! :
I see a lot of you are going through major changes..moves and such. Isn't is such a hassle with babes. Ugh, we moved just across town into a new house a few months ago. The move was difficult, but once here it's been a a dream. Katie I see you are moving to N. Carolina. I think that sounds wonderful. I think I would enjoy living there. There is something about N. carolina that really appeals to me. I hope the move goes smoothly, that's a great distance from where you are now.
Frida- I hate to admit this, but my oldest swallowed a whole plum pit. It was pretty small but it def. passed whole, just like it went in. I'm just glad he didn't choke. If I'm not super careful he will eat the whole apple too, core and all.
Lactivist-that is so exciting about your dd being pregnant. It's nice she has you as a role model for all pregnancy/birth and breastfeeding stuff. Who better?!
I know several ppl have joined the club so Hello to all of you.

Things are moving along here. Wyatt is walking since a couple of weeks ago. He just really wants to keep up with his big brother. He has four teeth, two on bottom and two on top. He JUST now started liking solid foods. Literally, this week. He's 25lbs... He's so heavy that I really can't carry him that much. My back seems to hurt all the time. I have to get massage regularly b/c he's so heavy. (I know bummer, huh?) But actually I hate it that I can't sling him that much. I slung his brother forever. He has no words, but lots of sounds. Still nursing like a champ...obviously since he didn't eat solids until this week yet he's such a chunky monkey. We STILL have thrush. Yup, almost a year of it. We got it when he was 2 weeks old. We have battled it the whole time. I have tried everything. I'm at a loss. It sucks. I have a feeling it will only go away when he stops nursing. But of course I don't know when that will be.
And finally, I just got aunt flo back yesterday. Yippie. I'm so tired I have gone to bed at 6:00 for the last two nights. I feel like everything is being sapped from my body. But it's not a super big deal b/c I've been ovulating since early on. I just wasn't having the bleeding. So now I got the full deal.

Alright I must go, I should be making the boys breakfast....I'm soo tired though...they are eating crackers instead.

I'm glad everyone is doing well. I enjoy reading about everyone and seeing the pics and hearing about the babies progress. Life is sweet :

Much love,
Jamie

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page