They're half a year old! Feb 08 babies, August thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 302 Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh flapjack... sorry about all your stress.

we went camping this weekend. It was fun, Jackson ate a bug ( I think, and not on purpose ) but also quite tiring. We hiked up Engineer Mtn...well, not all the way, but most of the way (it's 13,000 some ft but you start at probably 10,000). The wildflowers were *amazing*! After carrying Jackson up in my KKAFP my shoulder hurt and my legs were oh so tired. Dh took him for the hike down so that was nice.

I finally got my ergo yesterday! : I have been wanting one since mid-May but had my heart set on a brown organic one. They were sold out on the website until July then I was waiting to see if my bro would buy it for me and while I waited they sold out again I was bummed but luckily they had one at the local shop so I rushed down to get it! I haven't used it much yet but I'm going to take it grocery shopping today, yay!

We are going to see Mike Gordon at the end of the month... it will be Jackson's first concert!! I am super excited.

We are in teething hell right now, day is fine but evenings are super cranky, Jackson won't sleep in his crib(next to our bed) anymore, and he is a super restless sleeper. It sucks and I just want it to be over and have my happy, good sleeping baby back

Jackson is reaching for everything except food and gets really pissed when you take something away or he can't have it. Yep, he's got his father's temper.

Lisavark, what kind of ec pants did you get?? They sound awesome. We do pretty well at home but so far I have resisted ecing while out and about because of the logistics involved (how in the heck do you get clothes and diaper off and on, pee in a toilet stall? I'm sure there's a simply elegant solution I'm totally missing) and those pants sound super easy!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#62 of 302 Old 08-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Hooray for multi-quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post
I think I may also get one of those mesh feeders (does anyone have those?) for frozen blueberries, watermelons, etc.
The mesh thing is getting us through cutting these first teeth. I put in frozen bananas (messy, sticky, but he'd eat them all day if I let him) and frozen grapes (because they never seem to actually get broken down, so essentially, he's just sucking on something cold.) LOVE them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRose View Post
And while I'm still breastfeeding a million times a day, I need twice the regular iron. I don't think I'm getting it because I've been getting dizzy now and again.
Have you tried green smoothies? I load mine up with spinach or kale (though you won't taste the spinach nearly as much as you will the kale). Blueberries cover a lot of the taste. Anyway, because it's already broken down, your body will absorb it better.

Also, if you are cooking anything, cook it in cast iron. That's what kept me from being anemic this last pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
So since I've been actively losing my baby weight I've found that I've started eating a predominatly vegan diet, totally by accident! Mostly it's cause DH eats at work (we <3 Google) and I can't be bothered to cook anything for myself so I just have a salad. I read somewhere that vegetables supply you with minerals and fruit for vitamins, so I've been making an effort to really increase my fruit intake. I haven't been taking any supplements and I feel really good! I've recently had my blood checked and I don't appear to be deficient. It's kinda interesting to see in practice that you can get what you need from fruits and veg (avoiding processed stuff).
I fell into the raw diet totally by accident as well. But I've never felt better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenB View Post
Ramona and I still haven't been apart since the horror at the hospital. Anyone else not been apart yet?
Blake and I were apart during one dental visit. In fact, I've put off the follow up visits that I need to have because I don't want to be away from him.

Quote:
Speaking of holding... (nice transition, eh?) Beco carriers are on sale
http://www.theportablebaby.com/becobabycarriers.html
I am considering, but I don't know if I should get a Beco, Ergo or Pikklo.
I've never tried a Beco, but I did want to chime in and say that I would happily kiss the ground of whoever invented the Ergo. Blake LIVES in that thing when we are out. It is SO much more comfortable than those crazy Snugli things that I USED to use.

Now that that is done, here is our update.

Blake weighs roughly 17 pounds. (We missed his 4 month wbv, and his 6 month isn't until the end of August, so that's using the bathroom scale and subtracting.) I pulled a back muscle from hoisting him up so much, and am still suffering through with just lidocaine patches. My doc does Internal Med, and said that there's really no muscle relaxers or pain killers that are approved for nursing women, and will only prescribe the lidocaine patches. If anyone knows of anything I can take, PLEASE spill!

Back to the boy -
The way he crawls is HYSTERICAL to watch. For about a week, he'd only move his right arm forward, so he wouldn't actually get anywhere. Then he figured out that he'd have to use his other arm. So now, he moves his arms, one at a time, then pushes up on his feet and jumps (and lands on his knees), then repeats the process. He looks like a drunk frog.

But, before this, he would just push his face into the floor and push with his legs, so I'm just happy he's figured out how his arms work.

No teeth yet, but EVERYTHING goes into his mouth and the drool is UNREAL.

He also does this fabulous thing that Taylor also started doing at about the same time. We're down to one poop a week. He's not constipated, and I've been told that breastfed babies sometimes do this. I'm not complaining!

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#63 of 302 Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

I am especially loathing the extremely limited nature of my internet time.

I've loaded videos of the bigger three kids to the net. Here's the catch: You have to be one of my Facebook friends to see them, because I"m paranoid like that. If you're there, it's all good; If not, I'm Rynna there, too... not too hard to find, I'm recognizeable. PM me if you wanna make friends and you can't find me. I'm going to feed my children. It's one of those crazy things you have to do more than once a day. : Hopefully, I'll get a video of Bear later today. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#64 of 302 Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
Hi!

DS is just about 6 months, too, but developing on his own timetable. He's been diagnosed with low muscle tone and will start EI therapy this week.
how did you know he had low muscle tone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
We're cursed with drama here. The government is insisting on giving us more tax credits than we think we're entitled to, my FIL's carers are being imbecilic cretinous doo-doo heads (again) and my psycho neighbour has started up again. The stress is finally starting to tell on me and Steve as well- I know we've handled the last year pretty well, but I'm overdue a break. Playamama, I think I'm planning on jumping on a plane in your direction tomorrow- a party sounds like just what I need.
oh mama! i'm so sorry your neighbor is psycho. you should TOTALLY come out here for burning man!! a week in the desert full of art and folks and different community stuff, look up burning man dot com for just a little bit of an idea.

baby fussy, must go! she is just a fuss budget and has pooped like 6 times today?!?

eh. who needs a signature?
#65 of 302 Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM

eh. I am behind again!

Busy here. DS2 is rolling, no crawling, he can sit if I hold him but not on his own, he screeches (no words!).. and DS1 is really beginning to interact with DS2.

I am busy because I am trying to start a Pre-School Co-op for homeschoolers around here, I am leaving Thurs to visit my mom, and I am just plain tired.

Going to bed in 10 minutes!!!

I will catch up!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#66 of 302 Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 PM

ok wow...how many pages already...I think one for each day :sigh

We are doing well here. henry is getting over his second lovely daycare illness. He had a cold, and seemed to be getting bad but we got some vapor bath and a vaporizor and he is doing a lot better. I wish he would sleep better at school.

I am finishing up my first 10 weeks of school, i just turned in both of my final projects...next week will be calm but after that another 10 weeks with two new classes.

things fell through with the house we were going to rent, the complex did honor our original 6 month lease so we are looking for a new place to live...ugh moving again and this time int eh head it going to suck.

henry is working on sitting up still, he can hold himself up for about a min or so. He has started a new sound ba,ba,ba soo cute. We love it. He is rolling from side to side but not all the way, although he rolled onto his tummy in the bed the other night...it was cute. He LOVES his johnny jumper. He is actually 6 months old today :
He really is changing so much. I wish I had more time to keep up and to update.

gotta run.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#67 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 AM

oh i also wanted to add that I have been sending Henry to school with 4 ounce bottles. His teachers have been telling me that his poop is green and runny. I assume that it is runny b/c it is always runny but the green makes me think of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. How can I pump and get enough hindmilk?

also henry has been having solids for a bit now. he usually only has oatmeal but sometimes we add either banana or avocado. I was reading on dr sears site that you start out with about a teaspoon but work up to abotu 1/4 cup...that seems liek a lot. Am I just making him hungry? I feed him about a tablespoon but dh says he has feed him more than that before. he does always seem hungry afterwards...we gave him more tonight and he seemed to want it. any thoughts?

oh anyone use the happy baby frozen food?

ad I have to celebrate...we got henry ahd HMO plan and I thought we had to switch doctors...but we dont!! we can keep our dr I am so excited. : I really like our dr...not the staff...btu our dr!!!

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#68 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 AM

don't have time to comment, but just wanted to say it's nice to read everyone's posts
#69 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 AM

Finally got around to posting some more recent pics of Jackson! Here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11944418@N04/2735404979/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11944418@N04/2735404301/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11944418@N04/2735403775/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11944418@N04/2736229498/

I love reading about everyone else's babies... keep it coming all of you!!

#70 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
Lisavark, what kind of ec pants did you get?? They sound awesome. We do pretty well at home but so far I have resisted ecing while out and about because of the logistics involved (how in the heck do you get clothes and diaper off and on, pee in a toilet stall? I'm sure there's a simply elegant solution I'm totally missing) and those pants sound super easy!
Ah, I am so happy I subbed this thread this month!! :

Shouold have said this in my first post, but the EC training pants I got are from here: www.ecawarebaby.com. The exact ones I got are an older version, I think, and I have a couple different kinds (I bought them on diaperswappers), but my favorites right now are the non-waterproof with a belt that snaps around the waist and then velcro for the main part. It is SO EASY to undo the velcro with one hand while holding her with the other, and then I just hold it back and pee her. I'm using them all the time when I go out now; it's so much easier than diapers.

However, firecat, when I was using diapers, I'd do pretty much the same thing...in a toilet stall, I would usually hold her with one hand, unsnap her diaper with the other hand, take off the diaper with the hand I used to unsnap it, hang the diaper over my shoulder or on something in the toilet stall or hold it between my knees, pee her, and then sit on the toilet and hold her in my lap to put the diaper back on. As for clothes...um, yeah, she doesn't wear clothes that require taking off to pee. Sometimes a onesie that I snap to the side--usually while holding her in my lap before I go into the bathroom. But usually she wears a dress or t-shirt, and I cut off the bottom of most of her onesies to make them into t-shirts. So the diaper is the only thing to take off.

I did used to put a changing pad/sling on the floor and take her diaper off that way when she was littler and didn't have good head control.

Er...not to hijack the thread or anything..!

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#71 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 PM

oh!! well, that makes total sense now that you've explained it to me in detail
I will have to check out that link. Not that I really have any $$ to spend right now... Today I decided to try out the 2T training pants I have and they are loose but stay on so I am going to use those for now I don't get over to the ec forum much so it is good to talk about it here too.

#72 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 PM

here it is LMBO I looked for this thread and couldn't find it for the life of me lMBO Eli is doing good he is crawling and pulling up and sitting up and well everytyhing he is just to small to be doing LOL he does NOT like to be wore anymore I guess just too much for him to do and he doesn't like to be in them LOL unless we are at the grocery store and I have him facing out and he can touch everythihg LOL, his 6 month ck up the doc said he has fallen off his growth curve but whatever he is doing more than most 6 months old so I am not going to worry about it, I do give him solids a couple days a week bc he LOVES them LOL he hates that he can't have everything that I eat though LOL anyways that is about it,

I can't believe it has been 6 months already LOL
#73 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Please can everyone hold my husband's uncle in their prayers/thoughts/ the light for me please? He was hospitalised over the weekend after passing blood and having excrutiating stomach pains- they drained some fluid off this afternoon and have confirmed that it is stomach cancer, but the stomach cancer alone is unlikely to worsen and can't/won't be treated. What nobody knows yet is how bad everything else is- they're running tests on his liver tomorrow.

Oh, and River's sleep patterns are driving me nuts. What does everyone else's bedtime routines look like? 5/7 nights, he's up again 20 minutes after going to bed I NEED my evenings to stay mine, it's the only time I get.

Ellymay Sorry to AAM, but it's lovely to see you again.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#74 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 06:35 PM

Thoughts your way Helen s

Alex's sleep is still atrocious - two 20/30 minute naps today. Not much help on the nighttime front, although he's stretched things out to three hour intervals except for the early morning when he's up every hour and then starts the day around 5.

His nursing behavior is driving me up a wall - very fussy at the breast some times and then he'll be happy as a clam the next, there really seems to be no discernable pattern except he's usually happier if it's been more than an hour since his last feed. I've been doing some remembering and I think things started getting dicey around the time he cut his first tooth. I still don't know what to make of it, but my sweat is just starting to smell like maple syrup so hopefully a little boost in supply will help. Thankfully the biting has stopped, but I'm a bit raw from the near constant nursing at times and his latch when he's fussing.

On carriers, my girlfriend has a becco butterfly that she loves - I'd get one myself but my middle is still too big for one and even on sale I can't justify the cost. We've been using my SBP solarveil sling and a kozy carrier I borrowed from someone. I'm hoping to make myself an onihumbo for back carries soon - something with an internal sling like the butterfly so I can get him on my back easilly.

Lorax - good luck with EI - my friend has her lo in for hypotonia as well and he's been making fantastic progress with OT. Don't know if you have yet, but if you have any questions/concerns or just want to vent I know there are a few moms over in Special Needs who have BTDT.

Alex just started making "B" sounds today and it's been so much fun listening to him babble away - almost sounds like jargon at times which is very cool.
#75 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Dea

MAMAS!
Hi! Page 4! We rock!
Helen! I am so sorry that everything is shambles for you right now! I will think of your Uncle in law....

AlwaysByMySide
YAY for multi quote! How do you do it?
Anyhow I have a green smoothie nearly everyday! I love them! I use spinnach or kale, and I learned the hard way not to use too much kale because the fiber in it will turn it gelatinous! I also learned that mustard greens are not good in a green smoothie! UGH!

So on the baby carrier front, I bought a Beco Butterfly and it's so pretty! I love it! I think it's very similar to a buckle tei, kinda sorta. I find that it's not as comfortable as a wrap, but the ease of putting it on is worth it. Also in my search for the perfect carrier I read a lot of bad stuff about ergos... not the carriers, but the company, they aren't very nice and ethical, which kinda bothers me.

Okay I've been reading along here and pretending to know what you're talking about, but I'll fess up, what is Burning Man?

I went to my fertility clinic today and it seems that my labour from hell just keeps on giving! You know how a uterus is an upside down triangle? My triangle points at the top are all rounded out which is indicative of scarring and it seems in my case and awful lot of it. Which is a little upsetting because when I had a similar procedure done before Trixie was conceived my uterus was perfect. Now I have all of this scarring. I don't know what to think! Is it from pregnancy? From the c-section? Left over placenta, or other birth debris? Right now chances of me getting pregnant are low low low. So in sept I get to go in for the thingy where they put more tools in my uterus, including wee scissors to clean it all up.
At 16 weeks the ultrasound tech said that she was a boy then at 20 weeks they said she was a girl, and I joked that I didn't admit any scissors... I may be punished for that joke now it seems.

So that's my day. I think I will take some pictures of my bee-yuu-tiful baby to share with you all.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#76 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Please can everyone hold my husband's uncle in their prayers/thoughts/ the light for me please? He was hospitalised over the weekend after passing blood and having excrutiating stomach pains- they drained some fluid off this afternoon and have confirmed that it is stomach cancer, but the stomach cancer alone is unlikely to worsen and can't/won't be treated. What nobody knows yet is how bad everything else is- they're running tests on his liver tomorrow.

Oh, and River's sleep patterns are driving me nuts. What does everyone else's bedtime routines look like? 5/7 nights, he's up again 20 minutes after going to bed I NEED my evenings to stay mine, it's the only time I get.

Ellymay Sorry to AAM, but it's lovely to see you again.
((((HUGS)))) I will keep him in my prayers!

and yeah I have such a hard time keeping up w/ things I'm a bad board member LOL.
#77 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
:

Quote:
Okay I've been reading along here and pretending to know what you're talking about, but I'll fess up, what is Burning Man?
Mwahahaha! Burning Man is... an experiment in radical temporary community. Remember me talking about Wickerman a few months ago? Burning Man is a much, much, MUCH larger thing upon which Wickerman was based. There's a whole host of things about which you can read, but I have a feeling that it's one of those things you don't properly understand unless you're there.

#78 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Hey all...quick fly by....lol....

Really, Lucy's poo is thick...I flung it in the toilet again tonight....is that ok? I've been trying to chug more water....

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#79 of 302 Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 PM

Flapjack Thoughts are with you and your family. Remember to take care of yourself. Your plate sounds rather full.

Lots of milestones have been made in recent days around here. Eli is just growing too fast. Monday night he figured out how to sit up on his own. He gets into his little downward facing dog position, then moves into the little frog like position, lean to one side and he's on his butt. It's so cute!!

He also slept through the night last night for the first time!!!! He slept in his crib too. He's been spending a little less time in our bed on the account he is such a restless sleeper. I still woke up at 1:30 but he didn't. We'll see if it happens again tonight.

I'm also still fighting with my milk supply. Seems I can't get anymore than 6 ounces pumped out over 3 sessions during the day. I used to get at least 5 each time. Argh.

I work on a special project team at work-there are four of us. Two of us got promotions on Friday making three of us higher level titles than the four person. She was super ticked and peeved because she didn't get a promotion. It was in my developement plan before I went out on leave for 12 weeks so she has no room to bi**h. She should have put it her plan. She left on friday mad over the whole deal. Then she called in Monday and Tuesday. By lunch on Tuesday we were told she was going to be out on medical leave at least until the end of the month. She deals with some OCDC and depression on an everyday basis and is medicated for both. On one hand I know she was having some issues with her meds and feel bad she has to deal with it. I've been treated for depression a number of years ago myself so it's not like I don't understand. On the other hand she made the two of us that got promotions feel bad about getting them. She felt like she was entitled to a promotion because we got them.

I don't always want to be there-I would rather be at home with my little man, but since I have to be there I'm going to make the most of it.

Anyway it made for a long day yesterday at work so I was super worn out when I got home yesterday. I told my husband he was in charge of supper. He looked at me and said "I work all day-supper is your department". WHAT!!!! He's never said anything remotely like that in the almost four years we've married. We ended up ordering Chinese.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#80 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 12:19 AM

Flapjack and Nausicaamom, on the subject of evening sleep, here's what I've been trying...

I've been researching all sorts of fascinating things about sleep and babies, and I was amazed to learn that in a lot of cultures, they don't bother with bedtime routines. Italy and Guatemala were the two places I remember. They just let the babies and children hang out with the adults till the kids collapse in somebody's arms. After so many nights of swaddling, nursing, and FIGHTING to get Anastasia to sleep, I was sick and tired of the bedtime routine...so I decided to try something similar. I've been trying slinging her in the evening and letting her fall asleep when she wants to. It's been GREAT. I'm a social butterfly and want to be out hanging out with people in the evenings, so for me it's been wonderful...I just wear and hey, she falls asleep! She fusses some but not so much that I can't hold a conversation. Some evenings (like tonight) I do end up bringing her in to bed and nursing her there, but I'm not spending hours doing that like I used to. It's twenty minutes, tops, and I'm not spending any time struggling any more. She was doing a lot of fussing at the boob in bed and it was driving me nuts.

I kind of had to give up on the idea of my evenings being baby-free, which was hard (I hear you on that, flapjack!), but as it turns out I'm getting a lot more free time in the evenings, because once she's asleep I can put her down, and while she was falling asleep I can do what I want anyway.

She still wakes every two or three hours at night though.

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#81 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisavark View Post
Flapjack and Nausicaamom, on the subject of evening sleep, here's what I've been trying...

I've been researching all sorts of fascinating things about sleep and babies, and I was amazed to learn that in a lot of cultures, they don't bother with bedtime routines. Italy and Guatemala were the two places I remember. They just let the babies and children hang out with the adults till the kids collapse in somebody's arms. After so many nights of swaddling, nursing, and FIGHTING to get Anastasia to sleep, I was sick and tired of the bedtime routine...so I decided to try something similar. I've been trying slinging her in the evening and letting her fall asleep when she wants to. It's been GREAT. I'm a social butterfly and want to be out hanging out with people in the evenings, so for me it's been wonderful...I just wear and hey, she falls asleep! She fusses some but not so much that I can't hold a conversation. Some evenings (like tonight) I do end up bringing her in to bed and nursing her there, but I'm not spending hours doing that like I used to. It's twenty minutes, tops, and I'm not spending any time struggling any more. She was doing a lot of fussing at the boob in bed and it was driving me nuts.

I kind of had to give up on the idea of my evenings being baby-free, which was hard (I hear you on that, flapjack!), but as it turns out I'm getting a lot more free time in the evenings, because once she's asleep I can put her down, and while she was falling asleep I can do what I want anyway.

She still wakes every two or three hours at night though.

That's really interesting! We do something similar with Trixie. I just let her set her own bedtime and if she's not ready to sleep, I don't force it. I was starting to wonder if I was being negligent in some fashion for parenting like this. Sometimes I feel like I'm being lazy to let her do it herself, but it works for us. We play and have fun until she starts to show signs that she's tired and then we have a cuddle and she's out. There's no fuss no muss, just a happily sleeping baby. It's nice to know that it's common practice in other places!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#82 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 AM

It's too late so this doesn't include everything I wish it could, but..

True Blue - I really doing know. Since that one turd Kaia's poop has been real funny. But I personally have my doubts about the water thing for me. I was all about it at first, but when I thought about it, all of her poop has been liquidy, and even when she had the lil turd, it was in amongst her normal liquidy poo. Since then, he routine has been all up in the air. She was pooing once a day, every morning for a very long time. All of a sudden sometimes she doesn't get anything out in the morning, even though she asks for her potty and she sits there grunting away. Then she has multiple poos throughout the day, and some for sure surprise her, which is by no means pleasant. It's been quite surprising to me, too, and today I kept her in diapers all day instead of bare bum because I'm totally sick of being pooped on. Yesterday I got pooped on 3 times, and it was gross. The first 2 were like some weird almost stringy gel goo, all mucousy looking but more intestine shaped I think, and the 3rd was a sudden very water SPRAY which went EVERYWHERE ugh. I don't know, she's obviously not very happy about what's going on, either.

Enough about poo.

Flapjack - : : You and your uncle-in-law are in my thoughts. Your new blog looks really neat. I don't know how to talk about my breastfeeding experience, really, not at this point anyway, but could I share some funny breastfeeding pictures instead?

evening sleep I'm with lisavark. We don't have a nighttime routine, and never really have. I think maybe twice we actually tried to get her to go to sleep for some reason or another and were left so stressed out and worn out that we didn't think it was worth it at all and wishes we'd just spent the time enjoying her and enjoying ourselves. Evenings to myself would be really awesome, but just hanging out with her is a much nicer evening than spending hours trying to make her sleepy for me. When she starts acting sleepy we go to bed with her and cuddle for a little bit and she easily and happily goes to sleep, sometimes nursing.

LaurenB - Kaia and I have not been separated yet, either. I love it

BabyBump - Yay for sleep! And bummer about having your promotion excitement taken away, grats anyway, though!

firecat Cute cute pics!! Such a handsome little man!

eilonwy Sorry about your compy Being able to take videos though is so exciting! I envy you greatly My mum doesn't believe me at all about Kaia talking, she always asks things like, "So she says like, naynaynaynaynaynaynay?" Just after I finish explaining that no, she just says "naynay" once when she wants to nurse. Or "mama naynay" if I'm not holding her, and that she only refers to DP and I as dada and mama, respectively and very directly. She also very clearly says "hi" or "hey" when people greet her, among other things and there is no question about it to anyone who hears her. Bah, I don't feel like I should care if she believes me or not, but her complete inability to believe in the least bit that it is possible for her to say any words at all deliberately really irks me And I also want to thank you for making me actually listen to what my daughter was really saying even before she started using any words so that when she did they weren't just dismissed or not really noticed or whatever, who knows what I could have missed if I hadn't really been listening and thinking!

Everyone - Okay about losing your posts. This seems to come up fairly frequently, so I thought I'd throw this out there. If you use Firefox as your web browser instead of explorer, you will not have this problem, *even if someone were to unplug your computer in the middle of your post*. You can restore the session when it was not properly closed, and you can also use the edit --> undo function, which has saved my bum so many times. Especially when I'm editing posts and I accidentally delete everything I've typed. I stare in horror for a moment with my heart stops before I remember it's okay, hit undo and it's back. You can go forward and back on the pages and still have what you've typed so far there. You can have multiple tabs open on the same browser window, there are really many reasons that it is far better than windows internet explorer or netscape or what have you. And it is free. I highly recommend it. It is here if you're interested.

Also, I put up a bunch of really silly pictures of my poor baby in my last couple blog entries. And I made a couple tutus and headbands for her that are uber cute, and started on gnomes and got one done, I am very happy with it. I'll try to post those tomorrow.

There are a lot more responses I wish I could make, but I am just too tired. So to all and goodnight

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#83 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
Alex's sleep is still atrocious - two 20/30 minute naps today. Not much help on the nighttime front, although he's stretched things out to three hour intervals except for the early morning when he's up every hour and then starts the day around 5.

His nursing behavior is driving me up a wall - very fussy at the breast some times and then he'll be happy as a clam the next, there really seems to be no discernable pattern except he's usually happier if it's been more than an hour since his last feed. I've been doing some remembering and I think things started getting dicey around the time he cut his first tooth. I still don't know what to make of it, but my sweat is just starting to smell like maple syrup so hopefully a little boost in supply will help. Thankfully the biting has stopped, but I'm a bit raw from the near constant nursing at times and his latch when he's fussing.
Are you supplementing with fenugreek? I know sleep can be rough sometimes- I'm wondering how much of our issues with River are down to the fact that we're off routine at the moment and so naps tend to happen on the move and get interrupted.

Quote:
MAMAS!
Hi! Page 4! We rock!
Helen! I am so sorry that everything is shambles for you right now! I will think of your Uncle in law....

I went to my fertility clinic today and it seems that my labour from hell just keeps on giving! You know how a uterus is an upside down triangle? My triangle points at the top are all rounded out which is indicative of scarring and it seems in my case and awful lot of it. Which is a little upsetting because when I had a similar procedure done before Trixie was conceived my uterus was perfect. Now I have all of this scarring. I don't know what to think! Is it from pregnancy? From the c-section? Left over placenta, or other birth debris? Right now chances of me getting pregnant are low low low. So in sept I get to go in for the thingy where they put more tools in my uterus, including wee scissors to clean it all up.
At 16 weeks the ultrasound tech said that she was a boy then at 20 weeks they said she was a girl, and I joked that I didn't admit any scissors... I may be punished for that joke now it seems.

So that's my day. I think I will take some pictures of my bee-yuu-tiful baby to share with you all.
Oh Dee, I'm so sorry Sending you many fertility vibes your way, and lots of beautiful crystal clear upside triangle mojo stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBump View Post
Anyway it made for a long day yesterday at work so I was super worn out when I got home yesterday. I told my husband he was in charge of supper. He looked at me and said "I work all day-supper is your department". WHAT!!!! He's never said anything remotely like that in the almost four years we've married. We ended up ordering Chinese.
hope HE paid. Congratulations on your promotion, and well done to Eli! I'm sorry some of the gloss was taken off it.

Thanks for the prayers, everyone. On top of everything else, AF started last night with a vengeance, which probably explains why I've been so meh- one of my worse cases of PMT. Aaargh.

lisavark, that's pretty much what we've been doing, but it isn't working for me because I'm burning out fast and I have too much stress in my life at the moment. One option is for me to find a way to get my downtime during the day, maybe by hiring a mothers help (or by going and getting a nice low-stress job where I can relax a bit at work, maybe as a lion tamer or something equally mellow) or a nursery. DH can't take over the evening parenting shift, at least not more than once or twice a week, because he's a newly qualified teacher and we're expecting him to have a heavy workload.
What we had been doing is keeping him with us, cuddling whoever doesn't get Skye ready for bed and putting her down for the night. TV is off, boys are curled up with books, etc. Get him into his jammies, clean nappy, wash face, etc. Breastfeed, out like a light at 7.15pm. Move to cot. Job done. BUT recently he's been up again before 8pm, screaming, cranky, desperate and restless and from then until he finally gives up for the night is hell. It's as if he wants to sleep through that but doesn't know how to. He sleeps on his own from the 10am feed to the middle-of-the-night one quite happily, btw, generally the next one as well, so it's not necessarily him having difficulties being alone, or separation anxiety creeping in.
My guess is that it's a combination of the current lack of daytime routine and nap schedule, and needing a more clearly defined bedtime routine. Or, of course, this could be how he needs to be right now, but I can't happily give myself up to this on a long-term basis. I'm meant to be starting my OU course in October as well, and if he's not sleeping I don't stand a chance.

Gah. Sorry for the essay, but this is starting to grate.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#84 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
Do you have a potty bowl? I'm not sure where you'd get them in the US, all the potty babies use them here - even for older children, when out. They are easy to stick in your bag, and you can discretely potty your child in your lap - most of the time noone even notices there is a potty! If you can't empty it afterwards, just put a nappy square or pre-fold or something in it, to prevent it pouring out. Also, we use BabyLegs when out, so it is easy to just remove the nappy and onto potty!

My LO is 5 months old now, weighs 5.3 kg and is finally growing well! We've had weight problems since 4 weeks, I have milk supply problems. She's still breast-fed, and receives ca 150 ml donated breast milk (very unusual in this country) in an SNS every day. She has tried my porridge with banana, but wasn't too impressed. We are planning to do Baby-Led Weaning (self-feeding family foods).

She was rolling over very early. By now she is combat-crawling, and into everything. She has been pulling up to standing for the last month (she's been standing most of the time in our laps since she was about 1 month old), but isn't sitting without support. She is very into al of our things, but not into toys much. She much prefers people, and spends most of her time in our laps, talking to us or watching others.

She is very vocal, very loudly, but not saying words we can understand (except "nin", which, in her own speak, means "I'm very tired").

Oh, and obviously we do EC, we are really enjoying going to potty parties every couple of weeks, and DD is very good at going on the potty - she's even been dry a couple of nights recently!

We have a lot of trouble getting her to sleep. We co-sleep, and in the day-time she will only sleep in her push-chair - and usually only once a day! Mostly she´ll sleep 7 1/2 hours at a stretch at night - has done since she was about 2 mts old! but it can take hours even feeding her to sleep.

All in all she's a very happy little girl, if very opinionated!
#85 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Bear's been up half the night screaming bloody murder. I think his ears are bothering him again. : I'm so tired I can't see straight... but i need to clear my head enough to drive.

I hate it when they get sick.

#86 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 AM

BLEH. Send me some good thoughts today, please. It's my birthday, and so far I have two sick kids and am running on very little sleep which was further interrupted by a wicked spasm in my shoulder. Oh, and I ran out of coffee. I hope this gets better- it's the last birthday that I'll still be in my twenties! I want to enjoy it!
#87 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM

AHh I can't keep up!!

Loraxc, I'm so sorry that you're going through such a rough time with your little guy. I have no advice, but lots of hugs to give.

Flapjack, I will definately be sending some good thoughts to you family. As for sleep, we've been pretty regularish lately, so I can't speak much to it. Though she does seem to be dropping her pre-sleep nap.

Steph! Soo good to see you! I always think of your eyelash-feather dream. Glad to see you love Mia so much! Not that you wouldn't!

Mishaj, WOOT for the pee-pee! Right on!

Welcome AurorasMommy! Good to see new folks here!: My little one's word is pretty much AH! But she knows when and where to use it and only when she wants some food/drink. These other babies, well they simply amaze me!

Felixmom, I can't imagine surgery on one so young. Hope he's doing well.

LaurenB LOL on the hickey, it's amazing what these little spritelings can do!

Ema-adama, sleep issues seem to be common around here, sorry you're going through them.

ThisLove, it does go too fast! It's shocking as all get out. My little DSD-6 is 6 now, 6!! She was 7 months when we first met. The shock continues the rest of their lives!

RachelEve, good to see you too! You're one of those people I wonder "how is she doing, these days" about!

Dea, I don't know about the less eating thing. Maybe she's just good enough to know what she needs? So sorry about all the fertility issues.

Slgt, how's vacation going? Sounds like a fun time.

Crap I can't keep up with everyone, now I'm just writing crappy one liners. I still have 3 more pages...

I want a subforum for us Feb Mommas! heh

So I'm interviewing DCP's for DD once the DSC leave. I found one awesome momma (who even gave me a flat diaper to try), but she's SOOO far away that I think it would be unbearable gas/milage/time wise. I'm still interviewing, but the pickings right near me are slim. All this time I've spent coming home late from work I think, is wearing on 'Nara. I went out with DSD-6 last night to get a present for my cousin's baby shower, and as I headed to the door Nara started screaming and crying. DP said she went on like that for a while and then fell asleep. She's been sleeping mostly through the night with wake ups to nurse (or sorta wake-ups). But lately I notice that if I get up to pee, she gets so upset and cries and cries until I'm back. It's so obvious that she's not getting enough momma time and I feel horrible about it. Which is one of the reasons I'm trying to find care near work, so I can spend more time with her. For sleep, she used to take a nap before she'd go to bed for the night, wake up for an half hour-hour then back to sleep for the night. Now she's just going to sleep.

In other news, Mr Toona broke the washing machine, and it does kind of work, but the spin cycle is toast (he tried to help me out by doing laundry, but stuffed the darn thing with 2-3 loads worth. So we've got baby in paper diapers for a bit. Funny thing is, the past week she's been pooping alot more frequently around 6 times a day. Sometimes a full amount, sometimes it's less and looks more like a fart that went awry. I'm trying to figure out what is the cause, if anything. She doesn't seem to be in discomfort, except for if we don't catch on to the poop fast enough. My diet, while not perfect, is not drastically different lately. Mr Toona thinks her gut is just changing a bit, he thinks it happens to every baby. I don't know, she doesn't seem to be in pain or whatnot. Wierd. We've got our 6 month WBV in 2 weeks, so we will keep our eyes on it and go from there.

Oh and in pumping/bottle news, now that I went up to 4 oz bottles, it seems I can't pump the volume I used to. This stuff is psychological I know, but I used to be able to pump a bit more than she needs, now I'm only keeping up and it drives me nuts.

signature currently in transition
#88 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
BLEH. Send me some good thoughts today, please. It's my birthday, and so far I have two sick kids and am running on very little sleep which was further interrupted by a wicked spasm in my shoulder. Oh, and I ran out of coffee. I hope this gets better- it's the last birthday that I'll still be in my twenties! I want to enjoy it!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope your day is good!! :

I woke up with a krink in my neck.. blah. I am taking the boys to my mom's oon for the week. DS2 was up all night.... so now i am resorting to Mountain Dew! ahhahaahhh!!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#89 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Applecore, may your day get better and I'm throwing you an awesome unbirthday party.

Linda, Rynna, and Raina, I'm sending you all virtual caffeine (its' a pot of tea, but there's a plate of homemade scones with homemade jam with it.) : The clotted cream is in the fridge, but I can get it out if anyone wants?

#90 of 302 Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Doh! Happy Birthday Applecore!! May you have wonderous amounts of fantasticalness coming your way, may your kids be healthy, may the caffeine be gratutious as the fun!!:

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page