They're half a year old! Feb 08 babies, August thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 302 Old 08-15-2008, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first marriage was poly. Sadly, she and I were too conditioned to the competitive, back-stabbing crapola to realize how great we were and get rid of the guy. More power to those who can, but it's definitely not for me.

I'd forgotten telling y'all how long it's been; I guess the tail end of my pregnancy was pretty rough on me because birth was like....instant relief! Most days I don't even think about it any more; what's done's done; what's gone's gone.

aislincarys i didn't really want to know that but i'm glad i do. Terran's britax marathon is good rear facing to 35 lbs and I can try a cranio-sacral adjustment to see if that helps instead of turning him around prematurely.

I've asked other child safety geeks about the bicycle trailer and they have said forward facing is fine; do you agree? Right now I'm just using the seat that came with it since I just take him on the sidewalk or around the block in granny gear, but I have considered putting a safetry seat designed for automobiles in it.

According to green wheels, more people are killed in automobile accidents in the US every MONTH than were killed in the 9/11 attacks.

So yea, right, let's have a Warren Terra so we can keep on killing our kids while we gobble up way more than our share of a diminishing natural resource and whine about paying less than half what every other first world nation pays and not do a darned thing about our lack of adequate public transportation and safe bike lanes....
#182 of 302 Old 08-15-2008, 05:55 PM

OK, can I just be totally frivolous and not talk baby for a minute here?

A few years (and several tens of pounds) before I met Nate, I went to a few ren faires and borrowed a corset from a friend, which for some reason, I never gave it back (who knows why). I've never been able to fit into it the whole 6 years I'd been with Nate. Found it in my closet a few weeks ago, and holy poop, it fit (and actually looks really good!)! Now all this fun and frivolity talk from some folks here nudge nudge, makes me want to don it up and go get all flirty flirty. not that I would, as I have no idea where around here such things happen, and sure that would not make life easier, but man, do I have a hankering.

That's why I'm do the vicarious living.

Ok, just had to get that out there.

signature currently in transition
#183 of 302 Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM

I wanna go get my corset out and see if it still fits. It should- I'm at about the same weight now as I was when I bought it, but I don't have the kind of life round here where I can show that much boob and be appreciated not arrested
NOS, you're going to kill me: I sold an Earthy Rainbow a few months back Nice wrap, but I didn't love the colourway on: too many stripes. I love his pants, btw: I'm guessing that the patchwork is the thrift store find, am I right?
We have the fisher-price marathon knock-off for when River outgrows his maxi-cosi, but that only adds 3lbs on the weight limit for rear-facing. He's got a good 3" up to go still as well, so I'm not worrying yet.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#184 of 302 Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Dea

Hello Mamas!
Trixie pooed on the toilet today! YAY! I heard her making her noises and ran and undiapered her while I was getting to the bathroom and she finished up on the toilet without even batting an eyelash! Then while I was diapering her she was really fussing, and I just chalked it up to her being tired, then she peed! Silly Mama!!!
Oh well. I might have an EC graduate a lot easier than I expected!

I sent an email on the yahoo group about Dr. Phil doing a show on home birthing vs hospital birthing, if you didn't get it and want it, let me know!

I love reading about all of your dreams and practices in other marriage styles. The anthropologist in me loves reading about it! The married, monogamist in me is a little frightened by it (to be honest), but intrigued!

Also I want to have a conversation about vaxing with just the feb DDC mamas, if I started it here do you think we'd get in trouble? I am so confused with what to do for Trixie that I keep just sticking my head in the sand. To date she's had one DTaP shot, and until I sort it all out in my head I'm not doing more. Do you know if I can do half doses at all??

NOS and Jezzy oooo your babies are delicious!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#185 of 302 Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
River ate a sandcastle today. And then we built another one, and then he ate that one too. And the next. And the next. See, I can be wild and crazy too
I've been thinking about writing a board book called, "I Could Eat That". Because clearly, that's what goes through RJ's head a million times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
wonderful baby pants
Those ARE wonderful baby pants, and Terran is beautiful. Did I ever tell you that we considered Terran as a name for our daughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
In other news, I hate day care hunting.
Ugh, good luck, Teeny.

Hearing some of you talk about open marriages & the like brings me back to the days in college when DH & I both (not a couple at all at the time) thought we would end up in open arrangements, or more non-traditional ones at the very least. Ha - look at us now, old & married! It's amazing how much we all change and evolve once we reach adulthood - the journey has just begun!

I have to say, the thought of mustering up energy for more than one man right now just makes me tired! Oh, wait - I'm already tired. Hm.

I tell you, this was one of those weeks that I finished feeling like a bit of a superhero. Our house is in relative order, we have 3 social engagements this weekend (!), I worked through a lot of sleepless hours with DD and they didn't involve crying, and I successfully kept my up-and-working-by-6am schedule so that I could have afternoons with DD. I'm going to go curl up in bed with some crappy chick lit as a reward...Happy Friday, everyone!

ps--I get it now, the whole working/mom thing. Being successful - and then some - at a full-time job in corporate America, and being successful - and then some - as a most-of-the-time mom, is exhausting, but so far the reward is great!

pps--did I mention that my company shut down for 3 hours today and took us all for a lunch cruise on the lake? ahhhhh.

ETA:
sitting!
Remember Cabbage Patch Kids?
#186 of 302 Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

I'd give my eye teeth for a nice corset. Oh wait, I already gave one away for... oh right, I had to pay to get rid of that. Corsets are nice. So are kilts. I'm a big fan of kilts.

Yeah, see... I spent eight years in a more traditional arrangement, and it grew progressively suckier for me. I'm much, much happier this way. Even when I get depressed, I'm better than I was on my best day a year ago. 'Tis a fine thing. I don't mind being the Official Jammy Git; It's a better nickname than Hickey Shortlegs, that's for damn sure. : Oh, I didn't tell you-- I get a new nickname for Stones Rising, which I earned at Drum & Splash: Piper, as in The Pied of Hamlin. I only brought Bean to Drum & Splash, but there was always a string of two to eight children following me around. Most of the time, Bean wasn't even among them. It'll be nice to play Piper for Wickerman next year, too. I like partying, but I can't do it all the freaking time. I'll find quieter ways to amuse myself.

So... is it frivolous? Well, no, I don't think so. For me, it's a matter of mental health. I'm a craptastic mother when I'm a craptastic human being, and of course being miserably depressed and angry all the time leads to that. When I'm having fun and being a jammy git, I'm happier and therefore a better mommy. Oh Helen, look what you've done; Jammy git has become my new favorite phrase.

Kid stuff: Did you know that I have something in common with Michael Phelps? Yesterday Bean and Bella were all over me, and I could not get them off. "I'm a big fan of yours, mamma," Bean said; "I'm also a big fan of Michael Phelps." : I just found it so hilarious. I also find myself wondering, this Olympic year as every, how many of those atheletes would be caught dead in a McDonald's during the games. After their events are over, sure, but during? Somehow I find it unlikely.

Bear is just the cutest thing since sliced bread. His absolute adorability astounds and astonishes, alternately. Ah, aliteration; always an amusement...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#187 of 302 Old 08-16-2008, 02:35 AM

Hi everyone,

I can't believe my little man is sitting already. And by the time Christmas rolls around, many of our February babies will be cruising, if not walking. Yikes!

Anyways, just wanted to vent a little. I'm here in Toronto visiting my parents for the summer, and went out to dim sum with my aunt. She's a proud WOHM who hired a filopino live-in nanny for her two kids when they were young, so I doubt that she did much hands-on baby care.

Anyway, so I'm doing the child-led intro to solids thing, and my 2 yr old DD likes to feed herself. Hello? She's 2. My aunt chastises me, saying how I must be the one to spoon-feed her in the restaurant because, among other things, it will generate a mess. I'm rolling my eyes, but I become too shy to give DS2 a piece of food to "play" with.

I guess I would have taken her advice more to heart if she had actually been there day-to-day caring for her now adult children.

End of rant. I wish DS2 wouldn't wake me up at 3AM every day, and I can't believe how the days and weeks are flying by with these wee bundles of joy growing up before our eyes!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#188 of 302 Old 08-17-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

I don't take the kids to restaurants more than once or twice a year, because I can't afford what I thnk of as enough of a tip for the mess they'd generate. I'd love to go to the Chinese buffet for brunch, though... *sigh*

Anyway.. yeah, they make messes. It's what they do. Keeping the fork in your hand just means that you get to share in the mess, because most kids will still manage to get messy in such a situation.

New videos on Facebook. I couldn't get Bear to talk much, but he's flipping adorable anyway. I'm really irritated that I accidentally erased the one of him outside (the light's a lot better). I had him standing up on that one. *le sigh* It'll keep.

I've got pictures to load as well... and then I've got to put everything together for tomorrow-- the First Day of School!! : : :

#189 of 302 Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Just a quick pop-in. Ahh corsets - one of these days I'll get back into doing SCA stuff and make myself a proper Elizabethan one and then a Victorian one just for fun. While polyamory is very attractive to me in theory I know it would never work with my personality.

It's official - Alex has decided he no longer wants anything to do with a bottle regardless of what's in it. I was really upset about it earlier this week, but it will only be a few more months before he's eating enough solids that I can have a nice stretch of time completely to myself. He is napping better and eating a few solids, so I can escape up the street to my local Starbucks for a short stretch on the weekends which is something. My husband is being really great with working with me on it and helping me out whenever he can. I think my supply is starting to stabilize and Alex is back to 90 minutes between feeds for the most part with a great latch so that's something to be very happy about. He's also sitting which is doing wonders for his disposition since he's been wanting to do it for so long.

Dinner has to be made so I must dash. Lots of s to all!
#190 of 302 Old 08-17-2008, 10:21 PM

I love reading this thread when I finally get a chance- you guys are WAY more entertaining than prime time TV.

ah corsets...love them! I told dp when we are no longer poor I want to splurge on a really nice one. For now I'll settle on one of those "body shaper" things. It's funny...I like my body so much more now after having kids (I finally have curves!) but the saggy skin on the tummy and the loose muscles that seem to not respond to exercise do bother me from time to time...ok I'm just lazy and hate to have to "suck it in"

Any of you mamas have any recommendations on body shapers/girdles/general stomach flatteners?

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#191 of 302 Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Oh Ladies! I am sooooooooo far behind!

I was visiting my mom last week.. and using the computer is just to tough to do.

DS2 is rolling and scooching all over the place, not sitting yet but sure is damn cute!

DH has a job interview tomorrow at 10 in Massachusetts. My entire family is in MA so it would be nice to move back there.. I love Maine but the commute to see family is just so tough!

So today has been a strangely good day. I feel like something is just wrong because it has been so smooth! DH at 1230 to stay with my mom so he has quiet time to prepare for the interviwe and it is only 1 hour away from my mom's house instead of 3 hours from here. So he leaves, and DS2 goes down for a 2 hour nap 230-430, then DS1 naps from 500-630, which gave me plenty of time to clean and prep for the LLL meeting I host tomorrow! It was so nice to just deal with one of them instead of both! ahahha! Then while DS1 napped I showered and gave DS2 a bath. When he woke we ate supper, and just played around, then DS2 nursed to sleep at 830 and then DS1 got in the tub and now he is watching a show while I use the computer and when I aam done we will hop into bed! It is going too smooth.. hmmmmmm.

Ok.. I am going to poke around facebook and myspace then head to bed!

Goodnight!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#192 of 302 Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Facebook! :

#193 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 AM

Can we talk FB etiquette here? Would it be socially acceptable to add one's ex-husbands father and brother (you know, the man who has decided he no longer wishes to see his children) for purposes of keeping them up to date with the kids pictures? Yay, or nay? They can always decline, right?
(I am aware of the fact that I have no photos on my FB account at the moment, but I was planning on fixing this...)
Urgh. It's 6am, River is gribbling at my feet and is refusing to sleep by himself.I got out of bed to go to the bathroom (thereby waking him fully) and on the way ripped my nipple on the bathroom door handle It really bloody hurts. My tumble dryer is going and smells of poo, thanks to my FIL's dodgy tummy over the last few weeks (which means that all of my clothes will, too. NICE.) Then I get to go and get in a car and drive for five hours to see my mother, and spend the rest of the week being stressed out there by her drinking and the passive smoking and everything else. How much better could it get, honestly? : I love you gals, but frankly I just want to be asleep now.

Rynna, sadly DH refuses to wear a kilt He does have the right to wear the MacLeod tartan (my family are descended from the Campbells pipers) but refuses to get his legs out in public. Spoilsport

Linda, good look with your DH's interview today :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#194 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 AM

About body shapers: Yes, I too have come to accept that my body has permanently changed after 3 babes crawled out from me. Since I have a wedding to go to next month, I have invested in SPANX so I will look nice on special occasions. I don't care the rest of the time whether the whole world sees my spare tire or muffin top, but it does boost the confidence in a cheap, easy and non-surgical way when elegant evening attire does not compete with my flabby belly for attention!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#195 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

What's a spanx?

Helen, I would have no problem with inviting them. You should also add me. :

#196 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 AM

I will do... when I get round to adding anyone on there. Dea's on too, isn't she?

We're not going to my mums today; Steve's uncle passed away last night and because he helped my FIL handle all of his money, changes are going to have to be made It's a sad day round here and I'm working hard to keep the kids calm and happy and quiet when they're upset and disappointed. Thank God we got the call before we left...we had been planning on going up yesterday.

#197 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 04:58 AM

Helen, I am sorry that you are having a rough time! Sounds like you have a lot going on right now!

eilonwy
i would love to see the video of Bear! Could you post a link?

NOS I love the pics! He is such a pretty baby!

lincaphope your dh gets the job!
#198 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 07:36 AM

Oh Helen - s and lots of thoughts your way
#199 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

You have to befriend me on Facebook to see the videos. I got all tense and decided that I was too paranoid for YouTube. I don't use my childrens' names online unless I know that the group is closed and/or self-selected, and I fully expect *someone* to use them in videos, so I put them on Facebook where only my friends can see them. Yeah, I know, I'm paranoid... but last year I was getting messages from strangers saying things about how I should be dragged into an alley and assaulted with a wire hanger IRL, so... I think my paranoia on that score is somewhat understandable.

First day of school. YAY! : Bean's been chomping at the bit.

#200 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 PM

I haven't been keeping up with these threads, but I'm glad I finally have the time!

Ryan turned 6 months on the 7th and he is so great! He crawls backwards, and he says Mama when he wants to be picked up. He weighes 21 lbs and he's 28 inches long!! He's such a big baby and all Ive fed him is breastmilk, I can't imagine how much he'll grow once we start solids.

I hope everyone else is doing well
#201 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 PM

I was surprised to find us on the second page of LWB.

Sounds like everyone has lots going on. Hugs to everyone for everything good or bad that is going on.

Helen Go ahead and invite them. I have a good relationship with my former in laws even though their son is a total ass. They gave me a baby gift when Eli was born-which was nice but a weird at the same time.

Since last Wednesday-Eli has gotten his left front tooth, started crawling, and gotten his right front tooth. He spent the weekend tormenting the cats by crawling after them every chance he got. He's spent the past shrieking at them in excite every time they were near-he was happy a clam to finally go after them. They are less than thrilled.

Here's a short video: http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=DSCN0954.flv

This weekend we need to go buy a wireless router instead of having a cord running from our cable box to the modem. Eli has been fascinated by that too.

I don't have anything to share in the corest, former partner departments, but thanks for sharing. YOu all kill me sometimes.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#202 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 PM

OMG babybump totally just watched your video that is awesome. Oh this is allyn birthmommom...using my other account.

But wow Henry is no where near any of that and I don't know if that is good or bad.

He looks great!! can't believe how big they are getting.

Hugs to all...wish I had more time to read and chat...miss you mamas!!!!
#203 of 302 Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Hey mamas! Just popping in...hope everyone is doing well.

Peter turned 6 months on Sunday and is friggin' adorable. There are *always* pics in my blog. He's rolling in both directions now and is just a loveable little thing. He's started experimenting with vocal sounds more and will be starting a bit of solids this week. Life is good all over.

Love to all.:

A happy woman
#204 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 AM

Hello mamas! I'm new to this thread...don't know why I didn't go looking for it before!

Abby turned 6 months old on Saturday! I can't believe how the time has flown by.

Sad news though: She fell out of bed for the first time last night...onto hardwood floors. She has a quarter-sized bruise on her forehead, a bigger bruise on her cheek, and a huge bruise on her side.

It was a dumb mistake that shouldn't have happened. We knew she was getting too mobile for our pillow fortress nap solution. So I think we're going to get a pack-n-play or something because I'm uncomfortable with the idea of bed rails (i.e. her getting caught in them), we can't put our bed on the floor (we've got a bedframe with drawers in as our dresser--small house!), and we don't have room for a full-on crib.

Anyway, just wanted to !

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#205 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 AM

OK, we actually ARE going away today. Honestly. Really. So if you don't see me, it doesn't mean that anything else has gone wrong.

Snozzberry, when my boys were toddlers they had a nap nook in the living room- a cot mattress on the floor, tented with a blanket and cushions. There has to be some way that you could simplify that for a crawling baby, I think...

to everyone.

#206 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I'm paranoid... but last year I was getting messages from strangers saying things about how I should be dragged into an alley and assaulted with a wire hanger IRL,
That is sick!!!

BabyBump great video!!

snozzberryWelcome!! I remember you from the one thread
Sorry that Abby fell out of bed. Ashlee fell out of bed a couple of months ago. It sucks.
#207 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 AM

Helen, hugs to you.

RJ is sitting up pretty well now. She does best on the grass, but is getting steadier every day. Once she realizes that diving for toys results in a tumble, she'll be golden! We're rushing through some house projects due to the realization that she'll be mobile before we know it. A cellar door, for instance. Outlet covers. Little things!

We finally have sleep again! I'm not going to crow too loudly, but the past 5 days have been great. DD has been sleeping long stretches again (6 hours last night!), and falling back asleep after she nurses. I don't mind getting up every 2-3 hours if she falls right back asleep. As with so many other things related to parenthood, we wonder, "Is she sleeping because she decided it was time to sleep again, or is it because of some of the techniques we used?"

I suspect the former; we congratulate ourselves on the latter.

We tried No Cry Sleep Solution ideas, and it turned out that, as long as one of us was in the room with her, she only wanted to play.

She's a smiley, funny, happy kid. Super social, loves being around other kids & people. She just smiles up at you, even if you're not looking, and her smile gets bigger & bigger as soon as you start turning your head and can't help but smile back. She's upstairs playing with Dad right now, the happiest baby every morning.

Sorry - little me section - I'm just feeling particularly in love with DD this morning! A good night of sleep will do that, eh?
#208 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Hi everyone!

We just got back from our month at the cottage -- sorry, but I'm not even going to try to read all these pages! Nellah is wonderful, she didn't sleep well the entire time we were away, but last night she sttn : it was so nice to get a good stretch of sleep!

So, she cut two bottom teeth, and bit my nipple yesterday -- it was so painful I cried.....any advice on how to avoid nipple biting?????????????????????? Please tell me, because I honestly had visions of bottle feeding for the rest of the day!
#209 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
So, she cut two bottom teeth, and bit my nipple yesterday -- it was so painful I cried.....any advice on how to avoid nipple biting?????????????????????? Please tell me, because I honestly had visions of bottle feeding for the rest of the day!
I did the pull him into my breast so he couldn't breath and would open his mouth thing recommended on Kelly Mom. Depending on when it happened I also unlatched him and said, "I see you're finished." I think he did it off and on for about two weeks. It was tough waiting for that clamp-down every time he nursed and it took a good week before I could fully relax again.
#210 of 302 Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the biting advice!

My right nipple has been ssoooooooooo sore the last couple of days, and I thought it was because of when she bit it a couple days ago, and it's still not quite recovered. Has that happened to anyone, or should I be considering the possibility that it's thrush?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page