They're half a year old! Feb 08 babies, August thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 302 Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amy, thanks for the advice re: avocado causing my DD's fussiness. We're going to cut out avocado & water and go back to just BM and see if that helps.

How exciting that your LO is so close to crawling! What's her bday? I'm so anxious for my DD to crawl! (I know I'll regret saying that later, haha.)

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#242 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
Anybody having issues with starting solids? Not really an issue, I guess...it's just that Peter surprised me. My other 3 *very* eagerly took solids at six months, but I tried with Pete tonight and he's obviously not ready. He had a terrible look on his face with first a bit of rice cereal (can't blame him there - yuck!) and then with a bit of sweet potato. He also gagged a few times too, so I guess I'll hold off for a few weeks then try again.

Same, ds was gulping down everything we put in front of him starting at 5 months, but dd pushes out EVERYTHING I have given her! The only thing she likes are baby MumMums... I've tried peas, avacado, sweet potato, bananas -- all of which have made her gag.

hmmm.

She's also still pretty tiny (14.5 lbs) so I hope she'll start eating soon.
She's also not that interested in crawling; but she's rolling over constantly. I think she just really enjoys being held. all. of. the. time
I don't mind, I know how fast it's going to go, and pretty soon she won't want to be held and snuggled. The only problem is that she's only content being held on my hip (thumb firmly placed in mouth!) and moving...she's fine if I'm walking, but if I try to sit with her she's not happy.
I have a great hip carrier, so it's all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist33 View Post

Ocean pictures here:
http://www.bubbleshare.com/myalbum/4...49ec4/15559173
Thanks for looking!
Stacy
OMG she's gorgeous! Love her eyes -- my dp has blue eyes like that, mine are dark brown and neither of the kids got his eyes but I still think they are stunning (Jackson has this dark blue rim and his eyes are a hazely-green; I haven't decided what colour Nellah's are yet!)

Anyway, she's super beautiful!!
#243 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 03:28 PM

We're back. I'm really, really, really down: when I tell you that I walked through the door to a toilet that has been overflowing since Thursday night whilst my FIL's carers worked round it, I'm being forced to accept that my mum is an alcoholic, I haven't had enough sleep while we've been away, River has had thrush in his mouth- first encounter with it (remember the gouged nipple I went away with? good times...) and I'm pretty close to breaking point. I need a hefty dose of truth and beauty in my life right now and I have no idea where to get it from- that was the whole point of the trip up north
I'd love any good vibes or inspiration anyone has to share with me.
Oh, Operamommy, we're in a similar state with River and solids- he's interested and will taste them, but nothing is going down and he still has a tongue thrust reflex when offered solids by spoon. (Or medicine for thrush) Given that he's still possetting 3 or 4 times a day, has great difficulty pooing and its green when he does, I'm assuming he just has an immature digestion.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#244 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM

Stacy, I wish my dh would babywear :sigh: he's not even interested in the ergo...

Helen, oh man what a mess... hope things get better soon.

Jackson is still sleeping, he's on hour 3 of a marathon nap!! I had time to catch up and now I am getting to post!!

solid food: Jackson is a handful during mealtimes now. He see's whatever we have and he wants it! asap preferably! This is just in the past couple of weeks. I have been giving him large carrots to chomp on and he loves it. He had some cucumber to gnaw on last week - he managed to mush it into two pieces (it was just a slice) and I had to take it away from him... oh boy does he have a temper!! He will let you know if he wanted something and you took it away from him or moved it out of his reach. He has had an apple slice to chew on this week, and last night dh tried to feed him a little applesauce. He pushed it out at first but then he sucked it back in I am not really into "feeding" him things though and I don't really think he's ready eat yet so I want to stick with large pieces of hard vegies/fruits he can chew on but not really eat...can you guys think of any other good things besides what I already mentioned? what about red pepper?

crawling and general mobility stuff: well we are still army-crawling here but he can go pretty fast and is exploring everywhere. He will occasionally get up on hands and knees and rock but them goes back down He is into everything and like applecore said, he loves the things that aren't toys the best! Cords and straps are his favorites. I need to get a gate for the stairs, and outlet covers... not sure what to do about the cords...right now I have them covered up with pillows.
He loves sitting up but can't do it on his own yet. He also loves being down on the floor - he'll lean over in my arms if he wants something on the floor or wants to get down.

talking: just in the last few days he is really starting to babble - dadadada is his big one right now (dh is estatic!) it is super cute.

In other news, sleep is still an issue, naps have been erratic and his teeth seem to be bothering him off and on (still none have appeared, and I can't see that any will do so soon either) so that is the sucky side of life

We have a wierd diaper rash going on - it's on the area just above his penis, but sometimes his boy parts look red in spots too. Anyway, I was putting cream on it and it wasn't getting any better, but yesterday I realized that is just where the snappi hits him so I am trying to go snappi-less for while to see if that helps.

And finally, he has what looks to be athletes foot between his toes (not sure if it really is but the skin between his toes is red and flaky and peely, wtf?). Do you all think that's what it is is?? I've been waiting to see if it goes away on its own but I think it's getting worse.

I have been really busy the last week or so... we went camping again and I finally got to meet my friends daughter. She is super cute and super tiny (she's almost 2mo) Her hands are so delicate! And we are going to go to a LLL meeting in September!! I also found out about some local playgroups I am going to check into, so that will be fun.

Jackson is awake now so I must go : to all of you!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#245 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Hi everyone!

I am new here but have enjoyed reading about your little ones! So many exciting milestones being met, what an exciting age 6 months is!!

I guess I will introduce myself and my 6 month old as well. My name is Amanda, I am 22, and I live in Canada : - the Greater Toronto Area to be precise. My partner's name is Steven. My baby boy, James :, is my first born. He was born on February 19th via c-section, as he was breach. That was very difficult for me to accept, but I am happy he made it into my arms safely. He is exclusively breastfed - although he did have his first taste of solid food yesterday (beef, he gagged and gave me a funny look, so I guess he's not a meat eater lol). He also tried some banana today, which he seemed to like.

Because I am Canadian I get a year of paid maternity leave, which I am basking in. I wish I could stay at home longer - I have loved the first half of my year as a SAHM.

Lately James has been trying to get up on his knees. He hasn't quite made it yet, he just ends up scooting backwards! He is sitting on his own and rolling wherever he wants to go. He doesn't have teeth yet, but I can feel his bottom right one starting to come in. They are very red and swollen, and he has been a bit crankier than usual - although you would hardly know it, he is the most genial baby I have ever seen! (oh, and also the cutest, and sweetest, and most smoochable LOL).

Not sure what else to add - but I am looking forward to getting to know you all! It is exciting to hear about other babies James' age, none of my friends are having babies yet so I don't really have too many mommy friends.

Amanda + Steven SAHM to James (Feb 19, 2008) and Alexander (Jan 7, 2011). Lost little ones always in my heart (07/11/2009) (04/2010)

#246 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 10:27 PM

: Helen ugh, what a mess! My poor client only had to go a day with the same toilet situation before I came in to save the day, but that was bad enough. Her other caregiver (who got me the job in the first place) is thoroughly inadequate and that's heartbreaking enough for me with a woman I'm not related to and have only known for a bit more than a year. I can only imagine how it must make you feel to go through the same thing with FIL.

I forgive you about the Girasol Earthy Rainbow since you had no idea i wanted one and my posts certainly would lead any reasonable person to believe that there's no way i could afford to get into wrapping. I can't, but I don't have any dh to make me feel ashamed about my financial priorities so they're a bit skewed from "normal" by all the regrets about the might-have-beens with my teens.

besides, we already have the "actual physical object" connection that my neurotic self likes so much from the second trimester swap "matchies".

Cheryl i have some adorable pics of dd chomping on red (sweet bell) pepper at this age; go for it!

DanielleTerran's the same way about wanting me to keep moving, especially with the new, unfamiliar back carries. i had an unusually peaceful breakfast this morning with him on my back, the bowl in one hand and the spoon in the other while i walked around and around in circles in my back yard It worked great, but i got a guilty giggle thinking about how horrified my mother would have been if she had seen us!

Welcome, Amanda! i was a SAHM for about 16 years and loved it. Now i take Terran to work with me and i love that even more!

Okay, i know this is a lame post, but I'm still getting over this cold and I need to get off the computer now.

< cringe >
#247 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
We're back. I'm really, really, really down: when I tell you that I walked through the door to a toilet that has been overflowing since Thursday night whilst my FIL's carers worked round it, I'm being forced to accept that my mum is an alcoholic, I haven't had enough sleep while we've been away, River has had thrush in his mouth- first encounter with it (remember the gouged nipple I went away with? good times...) and I'm pretty close to breaking point. I need a hefty dose of truth and beauty in my life right now and I have no idea where to get it from- that was the whole point of the trip up north
I'd love any good vibes or inspiration anyone has to share with me.
Oh, Operamommy, we're in a similar state with River and solids- he's interested and will taste them, but nothing is going down and he still has a tongue thrust reflex when offered solids by spoon. (Or medicine for thrush) Given that he's still possetting 3 or 4 times a day, has great difficulty pooing and its green when he does, I'm assuming he just has an immature digestion.
I'm thinking about you

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
...can you guys think of any other good things besides what I already mentioned?
what about a frozen bagel? that could be fun to chew -- I haven't tried it yet, but I have read it in some baby books for this age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJournMama View Post
Hi everyone!

I am new here but have enjoyed reading about your little ones! So many exciting milestones being met, what an exciting age 6 months is!!

I guess I will introduce myself and my 6 month old as well. My name is Amanda, I am 22, and I live in Canada : - the Greater Toronto Area to be precise. My partner's name is Steven. My baby boy, James :, is my first born. He was born on February 19th via c-section, as he was breach. That was very difficult for me to accept, but I am happy he made it into my arms safely. He is exclusively breastfed - although he did have his first taste of solid food yesterday (beef, he gagged and gave me a funny look, so I guess he's not a meat eater lol). He also tried some banana today, which he seemed to like.

We're in Ottawa -- I don't have mat leave (I was a student when Nellah was born) but we're coping Glad to see fellow Canadians here -- it's a great site, and this is a fun group of moms!

Nellah is hilarious, she's cut two bottom teeth and I think another bottom one is coming in so I think that will look pretty funny

Not too much else going on here -- dp is working frantically on his MA Thesis (due Wednesday) so I've been the primary parent for the past....ummm....6 weeks....wow, has it really been that long? Anyway, it'll be nice to have him finished......and then starting his PhD in two weeks.

My birthday is tomorrow, but we celebrated with the cake tonight because ds was SO excited! it was really cute, it's great how much more fun your birthday becomes when you celebrate it with a little one -- love the joy in his face when he gets to 'help' blow out the candles
#248 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 11:07 PM

Helen- Much love to you. I hope something good comes your way soon. You need and deserve it!

Teeny- Hope the baby feels better soon!

Amanda- A year-paid-NICE!! Welcome!

Eli and his crawling forced me to finally go buy a wireless router and signal do-hickey. Couldn't have the coax cable running the length of the living room to the modem anymore.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#249 of 302 Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM

Just popping in to send to Helen, and all the mamas with sick babies and poorly sleeping babies!

Helen, so sorry to hear what you are facing right now...I don't have any great inspiration for you...remember, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.
(this is totally true for me...with DS, and now DD's sleeping issues, I have found depths of patience within myself that I never knew existed, and have found that I love myself much more now that I have worked through the problems with these kiddos than I ever did before!) This too shall pass!

Molly hit 6 mos yesterday!!: We did give her some baby oatmeal with EBM today just to see what she would think. I can't say that she really loved it, but she didn't hate it. DS INHALED oatmeal when we gave it to him on his 6 mo. birthday, but Molly was more like mildly amused. We'll move forward slowly and see how things go.

Sleep started to get better last week, and then we went out of town this weekend. We were in a hotel and all co-slept together (it was chaotic, but sleep was tolerable) Getting home tonight, of course, threw her for a loop again. It took over an hour to get her down in her co-sleeper tonight, so I'm pretty bummed. She's out now, which is why I have time to jump in here, but I am not hopeful that it will be a good night. (Man, I am SO SICK of hearing myself complain to you mamas about sleep issues! You guys are good to not kick me off the board...I'm so boring these days!!)

Anyway, hugs to all. Hope all the vacationers are having great times!
Em
#250 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 AM

NOS Hope you are feeling better soon. I have been sick for about a week now. Cant seem to shake it. :

HelenI know how hard it is having someone you love have an addiction problem . If you need a break come visit me I am sending positive thoughts and lots of love your way!!!

PhotoJournMama Welcome!!!

jaxinsmom Happy birthday!!!:

Dea thanks for the beautiful card!!! Just what I needed today

sunkist33 Ocean is sooooo cute!
#251 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Helen, what a crappy situation. My mom is an alcoholic who got sober when I was young, went to school to be a psychologist, started working with other addicts, and then relapsed a few years ago after 17 years of sobriety. She's clean now, but it's so strange to see how powerful the addiction is that after being sober so long, it could still grab hold of her. My father is also an addict- not in recovery, and my sister is clean now, but had serious drug and alcohol addictions before she became pregnant. So, I TOTALLY understand how hard it is to see your family members go through this. You just wish there were some way to make them snap out of it.....

Okay, I'm going to try for a little nap. I was gone all night (with Twyla) to a false labor over an hour away. I'm assuming we'll be back out there soon, so I'd better rest while I can. : The cool thing is, I was at this couple's previous birth, and my mentor asked if I wanted to catch this baby! It'll be my first catch other than my own babies! :
#252 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 03:27 PM

thanks, NOS, I will try some bell pepper!

jaxinsmom, I didn't want to do anything bread-related because if wheat...I thought it was an allergenic food? Maybe I am wrong about that. Anyway maybe I can freeze some other things to give to him, like melon. (I gave him some canteloupe yesterday and it was too soft, he got a chunk off and I was afraid he was going to choke on it so I had to take it away (read: temper tantrum!!!), then later he spit up and there were some more bits in that so maybe the melon wasn't such a good idea.) : and I think it's really cute you have a jackson too...

Welcome, Amanda A whole year of paid leave sound really really nice.... is there a jealous similie?

lovetobemama, I know the sleep thing really is horrible isn't it! I think I figured out Jackson's problem with the crib...he is turning into a fairly restless sleeper and as he rolls around he hits the sides of the crib and it wakes him up. If he's on the bed he stays asleep much longer but I have to be right there in case he does actually wake up (during nap-time)! I know I'm talking about me but maybe it will help you. maybe?

Jezzy, what's going on with you?

Applecore, have fun at the birth!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#253 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 PM

Hi ladies!

Sorry I have been MIA. I was at my moms (dial-up) and then my laptop died!!!!!! So I am using DHs computer, and can only use it if DS2 is napping and I feel like neglecting DS1 to the TV! (blues clues DVD now!)

I am starting a pre-school co-op and have been overly busy with that.

DS2 is cute! He sits well but still topples over! Poor thing smacked his face on the wood floor today.. I just couldn't grab him fast enough as I was fending off DS1 from biting him! No crawling here yet, but does like to roll all over the place. He likes sweet potato.. has no tongue thrust at all.. so we are slowly trying different foods.

DH didn't get the job in MA but has applied to a few others. He shoudl find out if /what his raise is in a few weeks so worth seeing what that is all about!

My house is a mess again because the weather has been SOOOOOO nice that we spend all day outside.

I am in desperate need to think of new lunch ideas... I can barely keep DS1 entertained to eat lunch.. he snacks and asks for lunch then looks at me like "oh turkey and avocado again!" He was polite and asked for a "new different lunch" need to brainstorm.

Ok... gotta run! More later I hope!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#254 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Firecat:thanks for the thoughts! She doesn't roll around in her sleep much, but I will pay more attention over the next couple of nights to make sure.
-Also, been meaning to tell you we give her celery sticks to chew on, or also a "stick" cut from a raw potato or sweet potato. Those are some other mostly non-choke items. She loves to hold them and chew along, but has yet to get an acutal bite out of them.
#255 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Or also a broccoli stalk or cauliflower stalk...basically any veggie that I can cut a "stick" shaped piece out of that is too hard to mush up, and too long to choke on.
#256 of 302 Old 08-25-2008, 06:00 PM

Lincap, what about soup? Bean patties? Falafel? Is he wheat-sensitive as well?

Thanks for the hugs, I'm doing better today.

Jezzy, when I find out when in September 09 this wedding is, I'll know if there's a chance I can get to see you or not- I'm really hoping it'll tie in with the school holidays.

Raina, have a fantastic birth (when it goes- I know false labour can be a doozy) During one of my false alarms with Skye, we had a student midwife there who was the breastfeeding counsellor who had supported me throughout all my difficulties with Alex, and that was a big deal to me.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#257 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 AM

Hi PhotoJournMama and Jaxinsmom from another fellow Canadian :

We're back in Montreal now. Ask me if you ever need advice on how to travel with children by train. Today's milk run at 11h30 from Toronto to Montreal was as good as it gets. Porter taking luggage to checked baggage car and depositing us in the train ahead of everyone else in line, including those in the pre-boarding area. 3 other families in the wagon, including one family with 2 boys similar in age to DS1. Baby and DD napped with me during the ride.

Must continue unpacking everything, but think I'll sleep now as it's close to 1am.

to everyone easing out of summer vacation. School and Gr. 1 awaits my DS1. Homework... bleh...

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#258 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:

Jezzy, when I find out when in September 09 this wedding is, I'll know if there's a chance I can get to see you or not- I'm really hoping it'll tie in with the school holidays.
Helen do you know where the wedding is? In what town? Glad that you are feeling better!

Quote:
Jezzy, what's going on with you?
Thanks for asking. Quite a bit actually

Ashlee is a crazy little girl. She is pulling herself up on things, she even took 1 step toward me after she let go of the table. She is climbing stairs and getting into EVERYTHING. I have to watch her like a hawk.

Been fighting a cold while my house turns into a pit. No one helps me around the house. My oldest dc are in spain (Canary Islands) right now on vacation with their father so at least they are having some fun! They have 3 more weeks of summer break.

We are going to Florida in december to visit my family ( I am from MI but my parents (both) and my grandma are snow birds. They go to florida for the winter.) Well my mom is already really getting p!ssed that we want to see my dad whom I love. She hates him and is sooooo frickin jealous already that she is causing MAJOR problems. I feel like canceling the whole trip just to avoid her wrath. I havent seen my dad in quite a while and he would love to see his grandkids

My mom has really gotten well almost evil over the past 10 years. She has had fights with all of the family and even strangers. I think that she is having major hormonal problems from menopause. She just won't talk about stuff like that with us. It is just so hard to watch her turn into this evil person. She is like Jeckel and Hyde.

Do you have any new pics of Jackson? I would love to see some

Anyone know where Cwoodard is? just wondering she hasn't been around lately.

Teeny is your baby feeling better?
#259 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Sorry all, been busy lately, been working here at work. heh! Thanks for asking Sharun, DD's doing better. Her fever was gone that next day, but she's still snotty and occasionally fussy, she wanted to be on momma nearly all of last weekend. She's no longer folding and whacking at her ear though (that also stopped Saturday), so that's good. I'm thinking there was an ear ache and that she's also possibly teething, not sure.

She's starting daycare next week, the day after the DSC go back. I suppose we could be in for some stress in that way next week, but we shall see. She's done well enough adapting, so far. I'm putting her in the day care center near work. They're the ones that schedule infant feedings, but the more I pay attention to her, the more I notice she mostly eats in the evenings/night anyways (my aunt who watched the kids yesterday also mentioned that she seemed to eat infrequently), so I think she should do ok.

I went to see a therapist yesterday about my anger issues, and well the first thing she said was it's chemical and started talking about taking medication. I'm just not sold on it. I wasn't sure I liked her and then she started going on about how dangerous birth was before hospitals when I told her in part that I was upset about my homebirth that wasn't. I'm not convinced that my anger management only has to happen medicinally, but I do need help. I don't feel I can manage these outbursts anymore. ANd it has occurred to me that in the past several months I can't think of one day where I didn't get angry, snappy or go on a cussing rage, so I need to do something. At least I get three sessions paid for by the company, but I'm not certain she's the one I want to work with.

Gosh, looks like alot of mommas have been going through alot. to everyone who needs it.

Good to see you again Snozzberry!! Don't be a stranger!

I"m sorry that I didn't get a chance to welcome our new momma, but welcome and I can't wait to get to know you and your little one better.

signature currently in transition
#260 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
We're back. I'm really, really, really down:
:
helen, i'm hoping it's still getting better...not sure if you remember but my dad is an alcoholic who now has to live with us due to his brain damage from drinking so much. he's on break with other family for a bit (so nice!!) but it's a bummer to see someone you love drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I forgive you about the Girasol Earthy Rainbow since you had no idea i wanted one and my posts certainly would lead any reasonable person to believe that there's no way i could afford to get into wrapping.
Okay, i know this is a lame post, but I'm still getting over this cold and I need to get off the computer now.

< cringe >
oh my gosh. i LOVE that wrap too!! there was one on that baby wearing site and i was so tempted but it was too much. i'm hoping for a vatanai splurge soon

hope you are feeling better!

Quote:
jaxinsmom, I didn't want to do anything bread-related because if wheat...I thought it was an allergenic food? Maybe I am wrong about that. Anyway maybe I can freeze some other things to give to him, like melon. (I gave him some canteloupe yesterday and it was too soft, he got a chunk off and I was afraid he was going to choke on it so I had to take it away (read: temper tantrum!!!),
linnaea has been all over solid food since about 5-1/2 months, lazlo had no interest until 8 months.... with linnaea i've been going the whole food route but doing squishy instead of hard, like, i'll give her a whole banana and she squishes chunks into her mouth but by moving them to the back they get squishy and she can swallow it, when i give her hard things she almost always gets a big chunk that she can't squish and then ends up gagging. i don't use a spoon though, just big pieces of cooked, squishable food, tofu is a favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
I am starting a pre-school co-op and have been overly busy with that.

My house is a mess again because the weather has been SOOOOOO nice that we spend all day outside.

I am in desperate need to think of new lunch ideas... I can barely keep DS1 entertained to eat lunch..
the pre-school co-op sounds awesome!! i so wish there were more than two mamas in my town (the cool one that doesn't like me and the one that beats up her husband and screams mean things at her kids all day long).

our house has been super messy too

for snacks, what about smething raw? i know they use a lot of nuts as a base, but maybe like, "fun" granola bars with oats and dried pineapple and coconut, mix it all up with some maple syrup or brown rice syrup and bake on really low until dry-ish? are oats and rice okay?

or there's that chocolate pudding made with avocados (cocoa/carob powder, avos, maple syrup/honey/agave, dash cinamon and vanilla bean) it is really good and it's healthy. maybe spend some time checking out raw recipe sites goraw.com, i can't think of another right now but you can google it.

side note- the founders of google are camped right next to us at burning man. huge! rv with two ac's and a satellite, as well as two other really nice buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
My mom has really gotten well almost evil over the past 10 years. She has had fights with all of the family and even strangers. I think that she is having major hormonal problems from menopause. She just won't talk about stuff like that with us. It is just so hard to watch her turn into this evil person. She is like Jeckel and Hyde.
my best friend's mom has been doing that lately too, like being nice and pleasant and agreeing to pay for things and then being like, "what are you talking about? i never said that! you're always trying to get money from me!"

she's always been just a little nutty, but never like this. i'm sorry!!

so, we're in for the night from the playa, huge dust storm (like i couldn't see to drive, for hours today, so it was a good break. we'll be heading back out tomorrow. they put up a ten story building in two days!! just this huge frame out in the middle of nothing, it's really neat!!

and there's lots of fire art going up, beautiful sculptures the incorporate flame, what else, we've got our art car running so we've been cruising around, it's only supposed to be 50,000 this year but people have been streaming in for the past week and the city is really full already.

i'm going to work some commissary shifts (with the baby!) in exchange for food, it's really nice to be able to eat a salad bar instead of granola all the time.

i wondered why linnaea didn't ease off the fussing when her first two bottom teeth popped in and it's because she's getting all four bottom teeth at once! i didn't know they could do that.

she's loving burning man, lazlo too! he's like a little rock star, i'll be out walking and someone will yell out, "hi lazlo!" and he's like, "hey!" it turns out to be someone he met with his dad. he went for a golf cart ride the other night with these two girls i know and he helped the shade crew fill in the holes for our shade structure, it's just so amazing to see how he takes all of this community and art and fun (fire works, playing with a 30 ft metal fish sculpture in the middle of the desert, riding in the art car) for a fact. like, that's just the way life is.

i'm so glad to be raising my kiddos around all of this stuff.

anyway, now that linnaea has been back asleep for an hour!! i'd better get some more sleep too. i'm loving my mdc mamas! and i wish you all could be here!

eh. who needs a signature?
#261 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 AM

Dea Yogurt is fine as a first baby food! The lactose is broken down in the culturing of yogurt (and cheese), so it is easier to digest than cow's milk
I give Ocean the Fage 2% Greek Yogurt. It seems a bit healthier than the Stoneyfield "Yo Baby!" yogurts which are full of sugar. It's very messy but she's getting pretty good with the spoon. You should try with Trixie
Someone else here mentioned beef as a first food, which I'm tempted to try next. I want to make sure Ocean is getting enough good iron sources (without doing the baby cereals).
I do dress her in blue all the time, but I always get "Oh, what a handsome little fellow!" comments, lol.
I'd love to see some recent pic.'s of Trixie?
Stacy
#262 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM

Linda, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to come up with lunch ideas. I feel stuck in the same rut all the time, and we don't have any food sensitivities here!

Sharun, I don't envy you with your wild child! I'm already stressing because Twyla is close to crawling, and the older two were like 10 month before they started! It's so much easier when you can just put them down and they can't take off.

Teeny, it sounds to me like that is NOT the right counselor for you. I have also stuggled with anger issues, and even if it is chemical, I don't think meds are always the right answer. I would highly recommend 5Htp. I have had great success with it in the past. Another thing you might try is motherwort tincture at the moment when you are feeling that anger. I'll even send you some that I just strained out a few days ago, if you're interested. PM me with your address if you want some.

Carrie, I wish I was there! Maybe another year. We're fest folks, so that would be right up our alley. We've talked about it, but it's SO far from us that it's always taken a back seat. Have fun!
#263 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Linda, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to come up with lunch ideas. I feel stuck in the same rut all the time, and we don't have any food sensitivities here!

Sharun, I don't envy you with your wild child! I'm already stressing because Twyla is close to crawling, and the older two were like 10 month before they started! It's so much easier when you can just put them down and they can't take off.

Teeny, it sounds to me like that is NOT the right counselor for you. I have also stuggled with anger issues, and even if it is chemical, I don't think meds are always the right answer. I would highly recommend 5Htp. I have had great success with it in the past. Another thing you might try is motherwort tincture at the moment when you are feeling that anger. I'll even send you some that I just strained out a few days ago, if you're interested. PM me with your address if you want some.

Carrie, I wish I was there! Maybe another year. We're fest folks, so that would be right up our alley. We've talked about it, but it's SO far from us that it's always taken a back seat. Have fun!

What is 5Htp? I've never heard of it. I will PM you, that would be wonderful.

Yeah she's not a good fit, but she's on the company's dime so there I am. She went so far as to tell me there's nothing natural that can help. Maybe St John's Wort, but I couldn't prepare it at the levels I'd need. I tend to disagree. I don't think I need to make Merck or whatnot any more money in order to get healthy. Maybe I might, but I just don't buy that that's my ONLY option.

#264 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Ugh, I spoke too soon. DCP called and I hear Nara screaming in the background. She's been congested/snotty and I'm not sure if it's a cold or she's teething (both maybe? the fever and ear yanking are gone). But she's miserable. All I can hear in her voice is that she needs held by momma. I cna't take the rest of the week off work as I had to use up all my vacation time and sick time on maternity leave. This is so hard.

#265 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Ugh, I spoke too soon. DCP called and I hear Nara screaming in the background. She's been congested/snotty and I'm not sure if it's a cold or she's teething (both maybe? the fever and ear yanking are gone). But she's miserable. All I can hear in her voice is that she needs held by momma. I cna't take the rest of the week off work as I had to use up all my vacation time and sick time on maternity leave. This is so hard.
oh mama! that is so sad i remember coming home from work for lunch and linnaea would just be bawling and curtis would just thrust her out at me and say, I've tried everything. it was so hard on both of them, honestly, i think it was probably the hardest thing i've ever done to try and leave her when i went to work, knowing that my mate didn't have the skills to take care of her. i still think the fact that she's uber sensitive to mommy leaving is from that experience when she was just a couple of months old (or maybe that's just my guilt rearing it's ugly head.

i think maybe you need a different counselor. my best friend was basically told that her medical issues were psychosomatic and the fact that she had sever numbness in her hands and feet was due to "mental issues" so she was put on xanax and something else. i was like, "what?!?!" but she's not quite as crunchy as i am so she bought it.

anyhow, i think it's amazing that counselors are supposed to be such objective folks and yet, they come to the tablewith all of their biases too, like, not being able to understand how your hospitable birth could cause such anger because she has no idea why someone would want a home birth.

big hugs mama, it sounds like you're having some tough times.

eh. who needs a signature?
#266 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Teeny I'm in total agreement with Raina about motherwort, but I'd combine it with cherry plum (bach flower remedy.) I use motherwort for the occasions when I am furious because the world is standing in between me and meeting my needs, and cherry plum for the times when I'm just plain mad. I saw Sicko this morning, and I'm just- bemused, I think, and a bit numb. I'm a fifth-generation, die-hard socialist and very proud of it so the idea of not wanting state healthcare is just totally alien to me. I really hope that Nara calms down soon (and I'd get some rescue remedy as well as the cherry plum.)

Jezzy, they're living in Trier- so I'm assuming the wedding is going to be there and not in Luxembourg, though they both work there and her fiance plays for one of the Luxembourg football teams. I know that's the other side of the country from you, but if it ties in with school holidays we're looking at a trip to see some friends of mine over in Austria as well. Ashlee sounds absolutely gorgeous- bracing, perhaps, but lovely.

Sunkist, we don't have that problem with River but Skye was always mistaken for a boy, whether she wore pink or blue or black : She has very clear features and was almost totally bald as a baby, which probably explains it, but it drove me nuts. Ironic, really, Isaac wore a pink t-shirt saying "don't assume I'm a " for a while and like River, he's a classical bruiser.

#267 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
oh my gosh. i LOVE that wrap too!! there was one on that baby wearing site and i was so tempted but it was too much. i'm hoping for a vatanai splurge soon

hope you are feeling better!
if it was the 3.6m one coming from the Mediterranean, I'm the one who bought it even though it is too much.

The cold is pretty much over now--at least the gloomy catastrophizing part of it. Thank you for your good wishes.

Quote:
i wondered why linnaea didn't ease off the fussing when her first two bottom teeth popped in and it's because she's getting all four bottom teeth at once! i didn't know they could do that.
i'm pretty sure that's what's going on with Terran too--totally different from his sibs,who had that adorable little "two toothed" grin for quite awhile before their entire upper gum would swell up in agony with all four coming in at once, then another pause before the other two lower incisors made their appearance.

It's better than getting the eyeteeth first, anyway; i've heard of that happening and not only does it sound incredibly painful, but the poor baby winds up looking like a vampire until the incisors come in.

Both of my big kids are now working on wisdom teeth, so about the only thing cheery I have to say about teething hell is that Terrans new teeth are so adorable that I can't help loving them now that they're here.

Quote:
i wish you all could be here!
reading your post is the next best thing! thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post

Yeah she's not a good fit, but she's on the company's dime so there I am. She went so far as to tell me there's nothing natural that can help. Maybe St John's Wort, but I couldn't prepare it at the levels I'd need. I tend to disagree. I don't think I need to make Merck or whatnot any more money in order to get healthy. Maybe I might, but I just don't buy that that's my ONLY option.
I hear you; the MFT that Christopher's insurance covered was so bad that I wound up taking him to one I had to pay out of pocket instead. One appointment cost about as much as Jeanita and I were spending on a month's worth of groceries for the two of us! We couldn't continue treatment long enough and frequentlly enough to do much good.

My anxiety attacks were diagnosed by an MD (they felt like heart palpitations and I was afraid I'd keel over while my quadriplegic client was dependant on me) and she wanted to treat them with prozac and heavy doses of tranquilizers even though she knew darned well they were caused by the fact that my teenager was living on the streets! I was ultimately treated by a naturopath who taught me two meditation techniques, one chemical treatment (kava kava), and nutritional suggestioins all in a half hour appointment. I'm not sure what that appointment cost since my son-out-of-law gave it to me and it was barter for working on her car.

Quote:
(and I'd get some rescue remedy as well as the cherry plum.)
:
#268 of 302 Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 PM

Jezzy Sorry your mom is being so wicked. I don't get why parents who have been apart for what I'm assuming to be a good amount of time have to act like that. A friend's husband's parents have been divorced for 30 plus years and she still gets pissed off when Shawn talks too, sees, etc... his dad. Hello-your son is 37 years old and an adult. Enjoy your visit with your dad when the time comes!

Eli so far has not discovered the steps. He venturing futher now so it's only a matter of time. Last night I was sitting on the floor with him after his bath. Turned away to grab a diaper and he was off! Streaking naked down the hall. His little naked baby butt was about the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Helen Are you feeling any better??

Teeny Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. Glad you are trying to get help, wish it was with someone better.

Have diaper changes become wrestling matches for anyone else? Nothing help distract him long enough to get a clean dipe on. This morning I'm surprised I didn't get poop all over my bed trying to get him wiped off as he was rolling away.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#269 of 302 Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 PM

No one has posted since me last night??? Where is everyone????

#270 of 302 Old 08-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Hi! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the welcomes. I have been loving looking around the site and reveling that, oh my, there are mommies like me in the world - lol!! James is having a really hard time teething so I haven't had much time to myself lately.

I also want to send lots of vibes and thoughts to everyone who is needing them.

BabyBump: YEEESSS!!!!! It's so hard to keep this guy the right way up during diaper changes. I put some pictures on the wall beside him and he has ripped them all down and to shreds haha! Now he keeps trying to roll off the dresser/change area that we have set up :

Amanda + Steven SAHM to James (Feb 19, 2008) and Alexander (Jan 7, 2011). Lost little ones always in my heart (07/11/2009) (04/2010)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page