Crawling on Hardwood Floor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds is starting to try to creep and will probably be crawling soon. We have hardwood floors throughout the house. Is it okay for a baby's knees to crawl on a hardwood floor? Should he wear knee pads? I don't think I want to put down interlocking foam tiles. They would be so much harder to keep clean.

Jennifer - mother to Wyatt (Feb 2008)
#2 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 12:11 AM

We have had hardwood floors for both of our children to crawl on. They both crawled on the early side and they are both now walking. They knees look great, they have good posture, they never had bruises. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be okay.
#3 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 AM

we have hardwood too, and found the foam tiles to be a great assist for crawling and the eventual learning to walk stage. it is much easier to watch the spills and falls happen on the mats.

i agree they aren't as easy to sweep, but the upside is they clean up great in the tub or sink. they are easy to vaccuum

as he's grown past crawling he's enjoyed stacking them an making little tunnels and forts
#4 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM

I don't think so. We have hardwood floors, too. Neither kid had any problems crawling. DD was greased lightning, in fact. She could crawl faster than your average 2 yo can run. SIL's ped said hardwood floors were perfect for crawling, in fact. Don't judge it by how it feels to you. Their knees are rather different. You'll be able to tell when it isn't comfy. They won't do it, they'll stop, yell, "crawl" on feet and hands instead of knees, SOMETHING. He'll be a-ok.
#5 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM

dd1 learned to crawl on concrete and saltillo tile.
she was fine.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#6 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Don't they sell something called Babylegs, kinda like leg warmers that would protect little knees when crawling on hard surfaces?

ETA: Yep, they sell them at Target.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#7 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 08:25 AM

My DS learned on hardwood floors. We found babylegs made things worse because then he slipped a lot.
#8 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 AM

My DD1 never crawled really and we had hardwood. I always put down blankets to cover the entire floor. Then, we put down those foam tiles, but they were hard to clean. So, with this baby I'm going care hardwood to see what happens.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 PM

Our house is all hardwood floors and dd does fine. She *does* seem to prefer crawling on carpet, which only happens if we're at someone else's house, but the wood floors certainly haven't stopped her! She sometimes crawls with one foot under her but not all the time. We tried putting BabyLegs on her and she slipped all over--I'd rather have her knees bruise than have her face-plant and knock out her teeth! We're considering the foam tiles for her bedroom (well, more like playroom) just because we sit in there with her and it's a small space so it wouldn't take a ton of tiles to cover, it's really for our comfort though in sitting down and not because she acts uncomfortable crawling on the wood.

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
#10 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM

We recently moved to a house with all tile/hardwood and dd seems to love it. Her pace picked up quite a bit immediately. I like the noise of it to. clip clop clip clop.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#11 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM

All hardwood floors here too and no problems. My crawlers have never seemed bothered by it in the least.
#12 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Half of our first floor is hardwood and both of my children were early crawlers. I have noticed that DS's knees are more red after going on the harder floor but nothing terrible.

I made my own babylegs from a cute pair of socks and he slipped. IMO he is safer without them (now for diaper changes, totally different story, ).

They sell some kneepads at One Step Ahead online that I considered buying but nothing major is happening here that would make me feel like we need them.

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#13 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 09:48 PM

hardwoods haven't phase my little one at all. She started army crawling at 5 months, just started hands and knees at 10 months, but she is lighting fast at the army crawl.

My ODD physical therapist said that kids tend to learn earlier on hard surfaces rather than carpet because it is easier for them to slide across the floor. I wouldn't use baby legs since the baby would have a hard time getting traction. It would be pretty slippery. We also avoided pants most of the time too since we often just go in a diaper and top and often the diaper is a just a fitted with no cover. Pants made it tougher for traction, but she adjusted to that too.
#14 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Crawling on a hardwood floor is no problem for a little ones knees, but just be very careful of what you are cleaning your floors with - use the least toxic/chemical based cleaners you can, as crawling babies ingest and breath in so much down on the floor.

Little Acorns to Mighty Oaks Non-Toxic Products for children. The UK home to Klean Kanteen, Natural Nattursutten pacifiers,The Safe Sippy, SPF30 Badger Sunscreen and much more!
#15 of 19 Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I feel a lot better now. I've just started setting ds down on his tummy directly onto the floor, and he's immediately learned how to creep backwards and spin himself around. I do think the slippery surface will enable him to learn to creep on his belly faster.

Jennifer - mother to Wyatt (Feb 2008)
#16 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 AM

my ds sniper crawls (on yummy) on hardwood and tile and crawls on his knees on grass and carpet. he's quick too.
he knows what feels right and adjusts.
#17 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Don't they sell something called Babylegs, kinda like leg warmers that would protect little knees when crawling on hard surfaces?

ETA: Yep, they sell them at Target.
: Baby legs was the first thing that came to mind.

Eta: I actually finished reading the rest of the posts and it seems babylegs are slippery on hardwood floors. Oops.

Wife to geek.gif (08/03), Mom to energy.gif (10/05) and babyboy.gif (11/09).

#18 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 AM

It's just fine. After all, pretty much nobody had carpet before 100 years ago and the human race turned out okay

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#19 of 19 Old 08-03-2008, 04:35 AM

http://www.beeskneesbaby.com/index.htm
I don't have any of these, but was thinking of getting a pair to try out. DD is just starting to crawl backwards.

Jaime ~ married to Chad, mommie to Elaine shamrocksmile.gif 03/17/08, 3rdtri.gif due 02/14/11 joy.gifHappy Valentines Day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page