raw spot on baby's double-neck - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3 mo. old baby has a raw-looking spot on her neck, in the folds of her double-chin (except it's on the side). What do I do for this? I just found it tonight - it doesn't seem to be bugging her any, but it's looking pretty rough.

Thanks!

Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#2 of 16 Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 PM

mine were chubby dribblers after she eats wipe and dry the crease. I also ran a finger full of corn startch in the creases to keep them dry.

Just make sure you dry out the rolls after baths, eating or if she gets really warm and sweats

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 16 Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 PM

I had good luck with wiping it down with a washcloth (wet with plain water), and then slathering it with calendula cream (weleda brand). I tried to do this once or twice a day, and it usually cleared it up pretty quickly.
#4 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 AM

Sounds like it could be yeast -- my baby got it too, in the folds of his neck. Wipe it down with a wet washcloth. I think cornstarch works well. If it gets really super bad, you can use an antifungal cream, but you probably won't need to.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#5 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 AM

Yep, just wipe down the creases with a warm cloth.
#6 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 AM

I used an antifungal powder and it cleared pretty quickly. But it got so bad that my poor baby was bleeding, I needed something that was going to heal that up quick. Keep the area as dry as possible, dry it thoroughly after a bath, and if at all possible, hold the baby to expose that area to some air occasionally.
#7 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM

yep just wipe it off and let it dry.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#8 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Wipe it off with warm water and try to keep it dry. I don't think cornstarch/ baby powders are a good idea unless you are sure there isn't any yeast. They can feed the yeast. A little bit of coconut oil helps us- its naturally antibacterial and antifungal.

Part-time L&D RN and Full-time Mama to Xander 4/01 & Carly 6/08
#9 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
we've been dealing with this for over a month. chubby baby + humid summer - yuck! cornstarch helps, along with a daily GENTLE cleaning with water followed by a soft, dry cloth. what has helped the most, though, is her tummy time. now that she is starting to look around when she's on her belly, that chubby neck really airs out.
#10 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Diaper cream!!! I use Burt's Bees or California Baby...you can see this literally clear up overnight, and be totally gone in 24 hours.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#11 of 16 Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I had good luck with wiping it down with a washcloth (wet with plain water), and then slathering it with calendula cream (weleda brand). I tried to do this once or twice a day, and it usually cleared it up pretty quickly.
toh

that's what we do w/ the "creasies"
#12 of 16 Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
:
#13 of 16 Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 AM

My DD had this too.

In the bath each night I would wash using my sudsy hand. Then after bath I put Bag Balm on there and it cleared right up.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#14 of 16 Old 08-06-2008, 02:56 AM

Diaper cream. Anything with zinc oxide in it. Burts Bees (my favorite) or Desitin, etc. Use this anywhere that skin touches skin and results in redness, such as neck folds, chubby arm rolls, chubby leg rolls, etc.
#15 of 16 Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for all the replies! We don't have any baby powder on hand (somewhere I heard it was bad - talc or something) and I can't find the friggin' cornstarch, but I did have some botanical carrot baby powder that someone gave me, and we put that on, and it just goo'd up like a bunch of pus. I think maybe it was drawing stuff out of the skin. So, we cleaned that off with a warm washcloth and put on some Hemp Salve that I have (it has calendula in it, too) and it was all better in the morning. Like a miracle! So, more cleaning in those nooks and crannies,and Hemp salve as needed!
Thanks!
Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#16 of 16 Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebandit View Post
Hey thanks for all the replies! We don't have any baby powder on hand (somewhere I heard it was bad - talc or something) and I can't find the friggin' cornstarch, but I did have some botanical carrot baby powder that someone gave me, and we put that on, and it just goo'd up like a bunch of pus. I think maybe it was drawing stuff out of the skin. So, we cleaned that off with a warm washcloth and put on some Hemp Salve that I have (it has calendula in it, too) and it was all better in the morning. Like a miracle! So, more cleaning in those nooks and crannies,and Hemp salve as needed!
Thanks!
Tracey Mouse
Glad to hear it's clearing up. I wish I could find the links I referenced back then, but when my babe was a month of two old, he had a similar situation. He had ooze and foul odor coming from a redness on his neck. Also behind his ears. With a little help from my midwife and Google, I discovered it was something called "neck-fold intertrigo." From what I read online in various locations, zinc is a great treatment for it. For us, Burt's Bees was the key. My midwife said that another client of hers had great luck with Weleda's diaper cream (calendula based). Calendula is a great skin healer, too. Now when my boys get rashes, we add calendula and a little salt to their bath waters.

I would also be leary of the cornstarch as it can feed the yeast. Or you can use it if you wipe it off and reapply as it moistens (sounds more like a PITA to me!).

Hope some of this will help you if need be in the future!

joy.gif Wife to  geek.gif,  mama to  reading.gif,   guitar.gif, fly-by-nursing1.gif, and thumbsuck.gif - bonus mommy to  loveeyes.gif!  homebirth.jpghomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page