baby fell down stairs!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He is fine, but dh and I are traumatized! It all happened so fast. Dh had the kids in the living room while I was in the kitchen. Dd (4y) came in and I was getting her a snack. I didn't even know that dh had gone downstairs (and forgotten to close the baby gate!), but when I heard the bump-thump-bump I KNEW it. I ran to the stairs and dh had beaten me there. Thanfully he was crying, and thankfully we're in a slpit-level so it was "only" 6 stairs....but they are wood and he is only a 7m old little guy! He cried hysterically for about 3 minutes and then sort of sobbed for another 5. We held him and cuddled him and he really calmed down when we took him out on the deck. He has one tiny scrape on his head and a little bruise on his cheek. Otherwise he was fine within 10 minutes, crawling, biting on teether, smiling.

My mom called and flipped out so I called the ped and the on-call dr was more impressed with the fact that he was crawling so well and not at all worried about the fall. He said to call our regular dr in the morning.

I can not believe that it happened. As dh walked up the stairs with him I was SO angry!!! I calmly told him that while we were reacting, and we've since talked about it and comforted each other. It's so scary....so make sure those gates are secure!!!!

Thanks for reading.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 AM

A babysitter let our DD fall down the stars when she was that age. Fortunately I was home (WAHM). I was so angry, mostly at myself! DD split her lip open. Ultimately I think I was more hurt than she. :

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#3 of 4 Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 AM

That thump is the WORST sound - DD fell down the stairs (same side-split deal) when she was about 9 months... both DH and I were standing at the foot of the stairs as she was pretty proficient at them, but she got too close to the edge and fell end over end twice before landing on the ground... she cried, nursed and was fine, but just typing that makes my heart pound again...

Glad she seems to be fine... what doesn't kill you make you stronger? (I mena that for you, not her ).

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#4 of 4 Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Now, the morning after I am finally convinced that he ds fine Totally acting like himself and now even more interested in the stairs! My hawk-like mama eyes are back in focus and dh has decided that he's never again opening the baby gate, instead choosing to step over it. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for your replies.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page