Water in a sippy cup on an airplane? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure where this belongs.

I'm reading the TSA Guidelines and I can't tell if I can take water in a sippy on an airplane for Daniel. It says breastmilk, formula, or juice, but what he drinks in his cup is water. Help?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think you can bring the water through security. But once you're through, you can fill the cup with water from a drinking fountain or water you purchase once you're through. I'm sure most flight attendants would be happy to fill your cup right away on board the plane, too.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure you could at least take the sippy on to the plane and then ask for some water. Can you call your airline

Mama of three.

#4 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 PM

I have kinda bene wondering this also as I really don't trust the water for sale in the terminal...it has always tasted funny to me and I am careful to not use flouride infested water for my LO. So bump this for any help. I guess if push come to shove, I will call the TSA info number and ask them. Last time I called, they were real nice and I have had pretty good experience with TSA while flying...They never even asked about the cup. I also guess that with a colored sippy, they really would never know...especially with diluted juice! hmmm maybe it will be okay!
#5 of 11 Old 08-04-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh that's good! The last time I flew was 8 years ago, and it was a whole different game then. I wasn't even thinking of water fountains past security!

I'm so nervous about this. I hate flying, and I am flying alone with a babe.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 AM

I have to say that even with my high needs girl, we had a really good trip when we flew last. I did take her sippy with water in it in her diaper bag. They didn't even ask about it. I put all of her food in one bag and put that through separately, but that was it. I'd just put the sippy with water in it and put it through; if they ask say it's juice.

Take an empty sippy just on the very off chance they take the one with water, but I can't imagine they would.
#7 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 01:17 AM

The last time I flew, they just had me put all liquids in a clear plastic bag and I could take whatever I wanted. That was about a year ago.

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#8 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 AM

*Technically* you can't take water through : If they ask or you're honest then you have to dump it (but they let you dump it and take the empty cup IME)

-Angela
#9 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 AM

we travel by plane a lot and i always bring an empty sigg bottle for me, and an empty foogo straw cup for dd in my carry on bag. never had a problem with bringing them through security.

then i fill them up once we're through security. i usually get myself a drink from starbucks and ask them for a large ice water. i pour the water into the sigg and the ice into the foogo (which has a larger mouth so the ice fits.) then dd and i have some nice cold water to stay hydrated with. also, most of the time, flight attendants will fill up your containers with the bottled water they have on the plane.

have a great trip!!
#10 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 AM

nak...

it depends on the security personnel wherever you get on the plane. I've traveled many times with DD#1 and some airports allowed me to take water in a sippy and others didn't. (Strangely, it was the smaller airports that often refused the most).

My tactic is to take the sippy with water in it. Show them the sippy as soon as I get to the security people and then if they won't let me take it I just open the cup and drink the water and then refill it with bottled water once I'm thru security. You can buy bottled water once you are thru security and then you can carry the water you buy in the terminal onto the plane.

Good luck! I hate flying too and I've traveled alone with DD. It went much better than I expected. People will offer to help you ... accept the help!!
#11 of 11 Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 AM

A few weeks ago I flew and they let me through with a bottle of water that wasn't even for my baby - just because I had a baby with me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page