Can I feed my baby figs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is seven and a half months, and will be eight months when our figs will be ready. We don't use pesticides or fertilizer and I love the idea of giving her food that I am 100% certain is pure. But I'm wondering if she'll still be too young? I'm also not sure how I'd give them to her because figs have an odd texture (at least to me, though don't get me wrong I LOVE fresh figs!. Just kind of separated into small chunks? Anyone have experience with giving fresh figs to their lo at around 8 mos?
#2 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 11:53 AM

You sure can!

Taken from Wholesome Baby Food
"Figs and Dates are highly nutritious and not allergenic! The only issue with Figs and Dates is in their preparation and texture. You could mix very small bits of dates and scrapings of Fig into your older baby's cereals, yogurt, fruits and even meats. "

While I dont really make purees for my son, I do like to reference this site as to when to introduce certain foods, and whether certain foods are allergenic.
#3 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM

My seven month old loved them. They were his second solid. After pickles. Go figure.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#4 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks! I am so glad to hear they're not allergenic. I can't wait to have her try them.
#5 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 01:24 AM

lol, my son loved figs, they were dried, and he just loved to chew and suck on them

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#6 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 04:31 AM

I just gave my daughter (8 months) figs today.

I wasn't sure if she would enjoy them*, but I cut them simply into quarters and let her self-feed, and she was fine with it. I think the texture threw her at first--like jelly, with little hard bits--but she signed "more" and ate two of them.

*She eats pretty much everything we eat, with the exception of soy, wheat, nuts, and strawberries (and animal products, cos we're vegan). The only thing she's not been totally into was kiwi and rice porridge.
#7 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 06:21 AM

I am so jealuos...you grow your own figs! :

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#8 of 8 Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

I'm so happy to hear of all these babies loving figs! I can barely wait for our figs for myself- they're my favorite, but I just get so excited whenever I give something new to dd.

Ians mommy, I wish I had a way to share my figs! We have so many trees (they grow like weeds here- they don't even need to be watered even though it's pretty dry here) that we often have to throw figs away (shudder) if I don't have time to make conserves, which I never do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page