Night Air = colds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I always have treated this as an old wives tale. If your child gets cold they get a cold, if they go outside with their hair wet, if they are in the night air, etc. Now, I'm beginning to wonder. The last 2 times I've had DD2 out at night, she has gotten a cold the next day. Is this just a coincidence?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM

I need to know the answer to this too. I always treat it as old wives tale too and my husband knows and recites them all...

'don't get his head wet- it's chilly these nights' (July in the caribbean)

'don't put his feet on these cold tiles!' (again july in the caribbean)

'don't let the fan blow on him at night he'll get 'the cold'' (JULY IN THE CARIBBEAN! aghhhhh)

I don't know the answer because the only times DS has gotten a cold has been when he was around someone with... wait for it... the cold. Is it possible that where you are taking him when you go out at night has some germy people around? (not like i am trying to say you hang out with germy people or anything like that- just wondering if maybe this is where your DD2 is around more germs at once than any other time)
#3 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM

people always give me the "germs cause colds" line which I do agree with,

but

if I go to sleep with wet hair, I always have a sore throat the next day. Sometimes I think that cold air can just dry you out, so it's not a COLD but you do get coughs/congestion.
#4 of 7 Old 08-12-2008, 07:49 PM

I do think your body can get chilled and not be as effective at fighting off a virus. I think we always have viruses we're fighting off, but if our immune system is a little off, that's when we catch whatever it is. I do think it's related, not that the weather, your wet hair or whatever *gives* you the cold, but I think being chilled makes your immune system just a bit weaker.

I think it's too much of a coincidence that so many people will be out in the cold or catch a chill and then get sick the next day. I had a fan on me last night while I slept and I remember being cold and not having enough blankets to be all that warm. I woke up with a head cold.

Just my opinion, but it is interesting!
#5 of 7 Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 AM

We just got back from holiday in the UK(even though it's summer there it wasn't exactly warm : )and my DH and I were having this EXACT same debate...

DS got VERY VERY sick- the first time he's ever had a fever, cold etc and we had him at the NHS doctors offices 3 times.
I asked the ped. about this- as my DH was PARANOID about having DS wrapped up in about 15 layers of clothes and blankets, even when he was sweating...it drives me CRAZY because I also am generally warmer than most-and HATE having too many blankets on me.. anyway-

The doc said it IS an old wives' tale. "colds" are caused by VIRUSES that get into the cells in your nose and breed causing symptoms; runny nose, coughing, sneezing etc. And keeping a baby too tightly bundled up when they are sick is generally not a good idea because it can make them uncomfortable (hot and sweaty)

Obviously you would use common sense and not send them outside in just a nappy or anything, but apparently wrapping up warmly does not prevent or help "cure" a cold.
#6 of 7 Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
I do think your body can get chilled and not be as effective at fighting off a virus. I think we always have viruses we're fighting off, but if our immune system is a little off, that's when we catch whatever it is. I do think it's related, not that the weather, your wet hair or whatever *gives* you the cold, but I think being chilled makes your immune system just a bit weaker.

I think it's too much of a coincidence that so many people will be out in the cold or catch a chill and then get sick the next day. I had a fan on me last night while I slept and I remember being cold and not having enough blankets to be all that warm. I woke up with a head cold.

Just my opinion, but it is interesting!
I completely agree. Being chilled won't make you sick, but it will make you more prone to getting sick if you're exposed.

DH totally believes the wives tales too and it drives me nuts!
#7 of 7 Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've noticed that when DD already has a cold, her congestion seems worse when we have the ceiling fan on all night. Obviously the fan isn't *causing* the cold, but somehow the cool air seems to exacerbate her symptoms, so when she's sick we leave the fan off at night. When she doesn't have a cold, we sleep with it on and she breathes just fine.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page