fused labia? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd (8 months yesterday) has a fused labia. Is that normal? I have never heard of this! At her 6 month well baby visit the pedi said that if it wasn't opened by her 9 month appt. he was going to put some kind of estrogen cream on it???? I am NOT happy about that. Can anyone fill me in?!
My Pedi is really good about my decision not to vax EVER. He is supportive of that...I'm just not too sure about this cream stuff?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

do some research on the internet. i have heard of babies being born with this and the often prescribe a cream. its better to fix the problem now than her having problems at puberty and needing it fixed then.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#3 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 PM

My DD has it to. She is now 20 months old. We found it at her 6 month visit also. Since we discovered it, the fused areas have kinda moved around a little, but it has never completely opened up. It was that the inner labia was fused to the outter ones, then together at the top. Now it is just fused near the bottom of her inner labia, near the peritneum. She has never had a bladder infection or anything and the fusion had never been complete enough to restrict the flow of urine, so we have opted to just wait it out. My pedi actually said that it is pretty common and if by puberty (like 12-ish) it hasn't opened, she may suggest the estrogen cream, but not before (unless she developed redurring infections or something).

Do some research and find what feels best to you, but I am totally with you in not wanting to put estrogen cream on my infant DD's labia. Oh, and in my research i found that the fusion has a large rate of recurrrance when the cream is used. Meaning, it works, then it will refuse and it will have to be done again, maybe a few more times. It is usually not a one time shot.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#4 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 PM

It's not something that needs to be fixed right now. You might try searching "labial adhesions" in this forum or even in Case Against Circ. since I've seen it discussed there, too. As long as she's able to pee you don't need to do anything invasive like that to open it up. It will likely release as she gets older. It's much like with intact boys. And be very, very careful that anyone who touches her or changes her knows this and doesn't try to rip it open! Especially the doctors!
#5 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM

My dd had labial adhesions. She was just about 2 when she (through exploration) opened them up. There was some blood and scared me to death. Our ped had me slather her with vaseline to help keep the labia from fusing back together. She is 7 now and has no problems.
#6 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm going to research it on here and google it. I would prefer to wait it out...sounds like it's natural and will naturally open up later. She has no problems urinating. It's toward her perineum, at the bottom of her vagina.
#7 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaloo View Post
My dd had labial adhesions. She was just about 2 when she (through exploration) opened them up. There was some blood and scared me to death. Our ped had me slather her with vaseline to help keep the labia from fusing back together. She is 7 now and has no problems.
This is kinda what i am scared of though. She is obsessed with playing with her bits if she has access and i am kinda scared she is going to hurt her self.

I am actually using her adhesions as an argument to DH on why we won't be circing if #2 is a boy.......

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#8 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 08:20 PM

Both of my DDs have had this problem. DD1 was seeing a ped at the time and he prescribed Premarin (estrogen cream) and it opened within days. He had told me it would interfere with urination if it got worse. Now, we are seeing a Family doctor who is a D.O. and doesn't like to prescribe medicine unless it is an absolute have to kind of thing. Great! DD2 had this and he said not to worry unless it looked like she wasn't wetting anymore or close to that point. Just yesterday, I noticed that it had opened on its own!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#9 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsboyko View Post
This is kinda what i am scared of though. She is obsessed with playing with her bits if she has access and i am kinda scared she is going to hurt her self.

I am actually using her adhesions as an argument to DH on why we won't be circing if #2 is a boy.......
Aw, but if it hurts when she plays, she will stop doing that, yes? Although having an intact boy, I definitely know how much kids can do to their "bits" without it hurting! Yikes. (but DS has pulled hard enough on himself that it HAS hurt, and he stopped right at that point...they're smart, those babies)
#10 of 14 Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 AM

My DD had it, too. The timing was just the same with her as with others that have posted. I don't know exactly when it cleared up, but it was gone by 2.
#11 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Luckily, I had a knowledgable doc when my first daughter was born. He told me she had adhesions and to leave them alone...and if I took her to another doctor, to not let them forcibly pry them apart.

Most of the time, you do nothing and the adhesions will go away (very similar to an uncirc'd boy). If they are problematic (causing infections or too frequent pain), then you can use an estrogen cream. This is normally for just ONE week or TWO. It's a process that can be repeated.
If the adhesions are not causing issues, a wait and see approach is best.

My daughter is nearing 5yo. When she has had discomfort, I typically have just used coconut oil or emu oil to help lubricate the tissue. I have also used diluted German Chamomile in those 2 oils or a simple calendula oil.

For most girls, the adhesions go away around the time of potty training and almost certainly, before puberty. It seems that my daughter's adhesions have mostly gone away.

It isn't nearly as uncommon as people make it out to be. It just isn't recognized or you get a doc when they are young and they pull the adhesion without a word to the parents.
http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...np=304&id=2169
#12 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 PM

For me it would just depend on the severity of it. I would probably start w/ putting aquaphor or something on it and try and 'open' it that way vs the premarin. Now if it were to the point where it's going to start causing problems w/ urination soon, I'd start the premarin sooner than later.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#13 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 11:56 AM

My DD had this as well. I noticed it had happened (not born with it) at about 7 months. Our Family practice doc freaked (thanks) and sent us to a ped surgeon. Well of course a surgeon wants to do surgery. Tells me all these terrible things and is very rough with her. So I schedule it and left crying. I knew this wasn't right, it didn't feel right. I got a second opinion and chose to leave it alone. The ped we got the second from said as long as it doens't interfere with urination he doesn't do anything until a child is reaching around age 5. Then he'd recommend the cream. Well not a month later the adhesions began releasing (had been complete vaginal coverage). She still has some adhesions covering her vaginal opening but there is some opening now. She's almost 3 and I'm just going to keep an eye on it for a while.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#14 of 14 Old 08-23-2008, 07:38 PM

My dd is almost 6 and has had a vaginal adhesion for years. It was discovered at her 15 month check-up by our new pediatrician, so I don't know when she originally developed the adhesion.

We were told to wait until she was 2, and the natural hormones would open it. That didn't happen, so she prescribed premarin.

I never used it (it's been 4 years later and I still have the tube, LOL).

Our pediatrician agrees that as long as she's not in pain or developing a UTI, it's okay to leave it alone.

She gets irritated "down there" periodically, and we soak her in vinegar baths which has always helped. (ped. thinks that urine pools sometimes and the vinegar neutralizes this).

It's been a few months since she's asked for a vinegar bath, so who knows.

She'll have it checked next month at her 6 year visit, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was still there.

I don't plan on doing anything until she's a teenager, and at that time we'll use the cream to open it up (that she can apply herself).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page