My DD (born via C-section at 36 weeks) who is now 4.5 months, had a terrible diaper rash for the first 2 - 3 months of her life, which we're pretty sure was yeast. Even though it took a long time (I thought we'd never get it better) it did get better and cleared up after using Nystatin, probiotics, and tea tree/sweet almond oil with Triple Paste as a barrier, plus lots of air time. We also temporarily switched back to disposables and bleached all her cloth diapers.
However, it seems to me that this red spotty diaper rash comes back every now and then and now she also has persistent white patches on the insides of her cheeks (never on her tongue).
Her poos have always been quite watery (sort of like brown/yellowish water - sorry!). Our pediatrician and now our new family doctor have both commented on how runny her poos seem to be. They are never thicker and don't ever have any little pieces in them. I exclusively breast feed. Our doctor thinks this may be due to chronic yeast.
I have never had any breast pain or signs of yeast myself (I am currently on a good probiotic) although I do have several food intolerances and am on a dairy and gluten free diet (and try to limit my sugar intake).
I'm worried about her having gut issues as I want to limit the chance she'll have food intolerances as I do and I know yeast can play a big role (my husband also has yeast issues that result in skin irritation).
Here are my questions:
1. Given the occasional return of the red spotty diaper rash, white patches inside her cheeks and runny poos, does it sound like she has chronic yeast issues?
2. Are there any risks of giving her oral drops of micostatin/nystatin? My doctor has recommended this - 4 times per day, for 6 days. I'm so leary of anything not natural, but will do this if needed.
3. Do I have to treat my nipples as well, even if I don't have any symptoms?
4. I'm worried there is still yeast in the diapers - how do I make sure to kill it? GSE in the wash or rinse cycle? Bleach? Do I really have to use disposables until it's completely gone - it comes and goes so feels like we'll never be able to use cloth if this is the case!
5. Is really runny poo not normal in a EBF baby? Should I be seeing some solid pieces/little bits in it? She's gaining weight okay, and is now 11 pounds, 6 ounces and 4.75 months (was a month early so now in 5th percentile).
6. Is this even a big deal? Am I overreacting? Do some babies just have more yeast?
I'm starting her back on the probiotics today as well (although I stopped them last time because I think they were making her spit up more often, so I'm a bit worried about this). I use Natogen, which uses lactose, but otherwise no dairy proteins.
OK, sorry this is so long and thanks for reading and any advice!