Well Baby Visits? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you go to Well Baby Visits?
Yes- every one 60 35.71%
Occasionally- we skipped/post-poned here and there 36 21.43%
Nope 60 35.71%
Other- please explain 12 7.14%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. We UCed and DD hasn't been to a single WBV. She turns 5 months this week.

She did see a chiro at 4 months because of a breastfeeding issue- my MIL suggested seeing a chiro for it and I figured it couldn't hurt, so we did.

She hasn't had any reason to see a doctor- if she had a high temp or other sort of ailment, I'd go, but until then...

It seems like a lot of posts start with, "At our X-month checkup," and I'm wondering if I'm in the minority. Curious.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#2 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 07:17 PM

i dont think you are in the minority. i just dont think alot of ppl post threads titled "we dont do wbvs"...but you will see LOTS of ppl here that do not do them (including us).
#3 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I didn't with DD1 until she was 5y, and only did this year because we needed a referral. I have with DD2 (22 months) but she has had health issues and is on meds so I need those appointment to update her chart, etc... I don't get much out of them. Our doc is really laid back, and I like her, but if DD2 was a normal child then I wouldn't go.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 07:43 PM

I go to the WBV. All the doctor does is weight and measure him, asks if baby seems okay, and gives some advice I don't pay much heed to. But my ds is also fully vaxed (my choice, thank you for not debating it with me here). I like seeing how much he has grown so I can write it in the baby book, but don't care if it is following the chart or in the right percentile.

Amanda + Steven SAHM to James (Feb 19, 2008) and Alexander (Jan 7, 2011). Lost little ones always in my heart (07/11/2009) (04/2010)

#5 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM

We go and DD has never had a vax. I like getting her weighed and measured. I love her doc and enjoy chatting with her. I also want to have a record just in case anyone ever questioned some of our non-conventional choices.
#6 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We go. The visits are free, and it gets me out of the house without the other three kids. We don't vax, but with homeschooling and stuff, it makes me feel "safer" to have a good medical history on the kids. I'm a little paranoid though.

It helps that out family doc rocks. She basically just tells me how wonderful the baby and I are.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

We have a scale and measure her for the baby book, too. I guess since we can do that at home, I never saw the virtue.

But I do see what's great about getting out of the house!

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
#8 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't take my daughters regularly when they were babies, as I saw no need. When DS was an infant, I was in a different place in my life, and I took him regularly (though we didn't do any vaccines until he was nearly 3yo.) I saw no harm in visiting the ped and it wasn't worth the battle with other adults in my life.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 PM

I take my DS's in for regular well baby visits, because I like knowing I have an advocate (our ped whom fortunately we love) and a paper trail of being responsible, sensible and caring people (despite some of our non-mainstream choices) and parents in the event that CPS or such ever wanted to take a closer look at us (we're a homebirth/nonvax, co sleeping etc fam).
#10 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 PM

^
:
#11 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM

i voted 'other'...we're no vax until we learn more and just realized how dumb it is to pay a $20 copay for them to measure him and weigh him..he's just fine so when his next appt comes up,we're gonna save our $$

ETAing the other responses has got me rethinking my answer...ah his next visit isn't for a while though and I plan on changing drs..pretty sure his doesn't like me
#12 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM

We took my first Dd for her 6 week check-up, her first WBV, and then that was pretty much it. She saw the person we were putting down as our family dr once, just to "establish care," when she was about 18 mos old. Other than that, we've only gone when there was a concern of some kind, which is rare. (She's been to a dr/ER dept 3 times for stitches, and my 2 yo has been to our family HCP for a huge swollen lymph node. The other two not at all.)

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#13 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
We go and DD has never had a vax. I like getting her weighed and measured. I love her doc and enjoy chatting with her. I also want to have a record just in case anyone ever questioned some of our non-conventional choices.
: Plus, I like having a relationship with our doctor so in case an emergency comes up, we'll be able to go to someone we're all familiar with.
#14 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
:

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#15 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM

I also take my DD to her wbv just to get her weight and measurements. The Doc occasionally will ask me if I've changed my mind about the vax (we haven't done any) and lets it go when I tell her no. However, on her last visit she encouraged me to start feeding her rice cereal on her 6 month b-day because might need the iron. She is now 8 months and toothless (which is one of the things we're waiting for before we jump in to solid foods) so I'm contemplating canceling her 9 month wbv so I don't have to explain myself to the doc.
#16 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Just quit going on a regular basis. I don't really see the point for dd. She sees the chiro regularly, and I'm going to establish her with a naturopath (sp?) in the area.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#17 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 09:39 PM

We started with regular visits with a naturopath, but then it just sort of fell by the wayside. He's even been to the ER twice, we put the ND's name (she's an hour away from here) as his regular doc, they don't care about the no-vax thing, and they take care of us. Totally OK. (I'm not an MD fan, nor a hospital fan, but the local kid's ER has been great)

His first health care was cranio sacral therapy by a massage therapist, though. And now he's seeing a chiro routinely (which is good, b/c I'm a chiro but I don't like working on family members).

I recently found out about a ped practice that might be nice to switch to, just b/c we never see the ND in Seattle.
#18 of 50 Old 08-25-2008, 11:32 PM

I go. Mainly because I am curious about his weight & height.... They don't really do anything else.. Check his weight & height and talk to me a little, then send us on our way.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#19 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Not really. My twins were homebirthed, so we took them in for one checkup when they were 6 weeks old. Other than that, they only go in if something is wrong.

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#20 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM

We started out doing them because ds was a little early, a lot jaundiced, and we liked seeing his weight climb
We are discontinuing because our insurance has "reached its dollar limit" for WBV's :

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
#21 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 AM

We did them with our older son, but not our younger son. He has only had one vaccination and we decided to stop with both kids over this last winter.

DS2 hasn't been for a well-visit since he was 4 months. I never saw a need. He was growing well and meeting milestones. Without the shots, there didn't seem to be much of a point.

To be honest, our Dr pissed me off at DS1's two year checkup and that was a big part of what did it for me. Neither of my kids have been to the Dr since then. It was last November. He was a big jerk to me about seeking early intervention services and now that we have a definite autism diagnosis, I know that my gut was right and the Dr was full of crap.

If either were sick enough to seek medical attention, I'd take them. But not just for the well baby stuff.
#22 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 12:43 AM

Yep, we go. At the last one, they noticed that DS has a heart murmur that was never noticed before. We don't vax at all, but it is nice to have on paper how he is growing and developing.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#23 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 AM

We don't do WBV. I use MD's when needed & don't feel WBV are needed. My 2 yr. old has never seen a doctor and my older kids haven't gone in over 5 years. My 4 month old has had a few weight checks, as needed.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#24 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM

No, we do not attend WBVs. I weigh and measure my kids at home and we don't vax so there would be no point.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#25 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We did, but my daughter had a lot of doctors appointments anyway, and I actually LIKE the ped so we went. She was jaundiced in the beginning, she had reflux, and her hips were in the Pavlik harness so we did a lot of doctoring.

She cried SO MUCH in he first year, it was just nice to have someone tell me I was doing a great job, she was mostly healthy, and all the little problems would work themselves out eventually.
#26 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM

we do infact we had one yesterday. we really love our doc & love having the oppertunity to chat w/ her.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#27 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 10:53 AM

Not with DD since she was 9 mo.

I'm not sure what we're doing yet with new baby. The one place I had recommended to me, I found out has a 3 mo waiting list. And particularly if I have a son, I don't relish the thought of having to spend an entire visit hyper vigilant and ready to deck someone, and I have a pretty good idea the likelihood of finding anyone in PA who respects a foreskin. We'll probably just go to the chiro.
#28 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molck View Post
Plus, I like having a relationship with our doctor so in case an emergency comes up, we'll be able to go to someone we're all familiar with.
This is mainly why we go, especially when the kids are younger. We've been on vacation before and AJ had to be in the hospital and it sucked not feeling comfortable w/ anyone b/c you didn't know them. My kids would be at the ped anyways for illnesses even if we didn't do WBV. They all have tubes, and Evan has had his adenoids out, and just had his tonsils out this week so we have plenty of DRs we could choose to see. lol We don't vax, but I like our ped and enjoy seeing her and I want the kids to have someone they feel comfortable w/ so when they are sick they aren't so scared to the see a DR. We generally stop at 2 or 3 depending on the child. AJ went last year b/c he had to for pre-K, he doesn't this year so he's not going. We will probably go to Evan's 4yo one to check on his growth and Ilana's 2yo one, but that will probably be it for a while assuming all is well w/ both and Ilana does well off her formula.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#29 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM

We don't.
As long as my baby is growing and developing at a normal rate, and seem healthy and happy, I don't see the point. Plus, I think too much emphasis is placed on what scales say instead of looking at the child as a whole!
I like our doc, she is wonderful, very pro-bfing, supports our decision to not vax, knows intact care (hands off). For me it's a waste of time and co-pay to go.
We did take her in to see the doc at about 1w old, but that was for my Dh's peace of mind. He is way more mainstream and after the homebirth it made him feel better to just have a check up with a doc. So that was more of a well daddy visit

Sandy, proud mama and henna artist. :
#30 of 50 Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM

I wasn't sure how to vote and ultimately clicked on "nope".

That's not entirely true, though, because I was accustomed to doing all the weighing & measuring and researching from UPing and just continued it after the birth. I take him to a consignment store that has a baby scale and check his weight and measurement against the charts (available here among other places) and all that WBV stuff on the standard CDC schedule and wouldn't vax anyway. Ideally I'd like to establish care in case of an emergency, but ds has a lot of trouble with car seats and Humboldt County is...ah...not known for attracting the best doctors in the country. My next door neighbour and most of my other friends who can go to San Francisco for medical care.

If Dr. Schwanke, my big kids' pediatrician, is still practicing, he would be worth the trip even if I had to hitchhike or ride my bicycle!

Our old Humboldt County ped has moved on but I have heard good things about his successor and would like to establish care there when ds can handle to (shorter but still way too long) drive rather than using the family practitioner I'm taking ds1 to, who was dishonest with me about ds1's tetanus shot so I'm not about to trust him with ds2's when/if the time comes.

We do have a wonderful naturopath, but she doesn't diagnose.

Quote:
Plus, I like having a relationship with our doctor so in case an emergency comes up, we'll be able to go to someone we're all familiar with.
This is how I feel, so please do as I say not as I do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page