heat rash or teething rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has little red spots on his head arms and top of his thighs. I gave him an oatmeal bath last night and then put a zinc oxide cream on it but now I am thinking it would have been better to just let his skin air out over night since it looks the same today.

What else can I do? I don't know if it is a teething related rash or just heat rash because it is very hot here these days.

I just dusted him in corn starch hoping that will help keep him cool. We only bathe or shower him once a day and it's before bed- should I wipe him down in the mornings as well as the shower/bath at night?

and another question:
For those who freeze a wet washcloth in a ziplock in the freezer- what do i do with it? give him the whole wet and frozen thing- won't it be too cold for him to hold and does it matter if he gets soaked from it melting? Just wondering how exactly you use this method of relief- I am feeling so bad for my little guy.

The Highlands Teething tablets are helping with crankiness and he smiles as I hold them under his tongue to dissolve so I am guessing that means- yay! Momma thanks for figuring out I needed those again.
#2 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

No one has any experience with either heat rash or frozen washcloth to relieve teething pain? Is there a better place to ask these questions?
#3 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 09:18 PM

i've been wondering myself about this wet wash rag thing. ds seems to not like an ice cube in a rag (which was my half-butt quick attempt to get him something cold).

whenever ds gets any kind of red on his body i just give him some extra nakey time. we already do about an hour daily though (not as much as some other mommas on here, i know!) so if he has a rash we let him stay diaper free for about 2 hours, and then we will let him go cover free for even longer (do you use cloth or disposables?) either way, some air time is probably what he needs.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#4 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

yes- he needs mor naked time- you are definitely right on that! I keep worrying that he is going to hurt his important parts if I leave him naked. I am such a nut. He is creeping so he moves around on his tummy and I keep thinking he will hurt himself somehow if he doesn't have the diaper on. We use disposables unfortunately (no washer, no vehicle, I put him in a carrier and walk a few blocks to wash our clothes. I plan on doing cloth when we finish building and are in our own home with a washer.)

Hope someone has an idea about this washcloth thing
#5 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 PM

I just wet one corner of the washcloth before sticking it in the freezer. That way, there is just a couple inches of cold, frozen washcloth, and the rest DD can hold in her hands. Plus, it doesn't get her completely soaked that way when it starts to thaw.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

aha! very clever- I knew I was missing a vital bit of info that would make it all make sense. I'm gonna put a couple in tonight so DS can have them tomorrow. thank you thank you
#7 of 7 Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 PM

I give DS a wash cloth soaked in cold water, but not frozen. He never liked the frozen ones, so I just put some water in the fridge and soak a washcloth in that, then give it to him. He likes to suck on it.

He gets incredibly wet but it's no big deal. Babies dry.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page