Does your 10 month old eat solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-03-2003, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
Well Aya Papaya just turned 10 months on the 18th of October. We introduced solids at 6 months but she goes back and forth with them.

Lately I havent really been able to get her to eat anything at all. She also still has a pretty strong gag reflex, like the tiny-est things will make her sorta gag. Nothing major, it accompanys the what is this crap that you are trying to put in my mouth face. She scruches her mouth and cheeks up - it is hilarous.

I dont push her, 1-2-3 strikes I am out is my rule. If I try more than that we both get flustered. I also put baby food on the high chair tray and let her play and experiement. She mostly just likes to fingerpaint with it.

I guess my question is what are your tenth month olds - or thereabouts doing with the solid thing?

Cheers!
Justine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-03-2003, 02:07 AM

Mine isn't! SHe is still breastfeeding... so I suppose I'm not much help : )

I don't think you need to worry, every child is different and as long as your child is getting breastmilk, you know she is getting everything she needs. Think of solids as a fun or interesting experience for your baby at this age, not as a food if you know what I mean!

If she still has that gag reflex I'd wait a little longer - leave the food there for her to play with and eat if she wants to but I wouldn't try putting the food in her mouth myself.

I have to go, my 10 month old is standing up trying to reach the tv cords!! Ack!!
#3 of 18 Old 11-03-2003, 02:46 AM

My 11 month old is very take-it-or-leave-it with solids. I offer them at every meal and sometimes he will eat a lot and sometimes he won't eat at all. I don't worry about it too much since he still nurses whenever he wants. I just offer the foods for him if he wants.
#4 of 18 Old 11-03-2003, 10:19 PM

My 10-month old is also all over the map. She has always been a pretty big solid eater since we gave her a taste at 6 months or so, but she sometimes refuses to be spoonfed and mostly likes to feed herself. She also likes to eat off my or Dh's plate a lot more than sitting in her high chair. But even with her eating some food three times a day, I would say she is getting more than half (and sometimes all) her food from breastmilk.

Sounds like your babe is doing things on her own time, and it's great that you're following her lead.
Peace.
#5 of 18 Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 PM

Mine loves solids but ONLY if they are finger foods he can feed himself. he's never been willing to eat purees. but he still only eats one snack, maybe two snacks a day.I wouldn't worry either. I wish mine wasn't such a big solids eater. lol
#6 of 18 Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD didn't start solids until 11 months and went straight to table foods. Before that everything would make her gag. No need to rush her!

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
#7 of 18 Old 11-04-2003, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I love MDC - every time I am buggin out a little bit I just come here and learn everything, and Aya is moving along in the right time.

She didnt eat any solids all weekend - but sure enough ate two jars of them today (she is a mango maniac!).

I guess I am just worried because she is so petite. Her 10 month appointment with the ped in on Thursday and I swear the lady is going to tell me I am starving my baby!
#8 of 18 Old 11-05-2003, 12:11 AM

I was actually thinking about posting a thread about this when I found this post. I keep thinking by this point, it seems like even those who advocate later solids are looking at me like I'm nuts.

Gavin turned 10 months old 2 days ago and we've now had two times of "starting" solids - once at 6.5 months when it ended after we found out he was very sensitive to carrots, then again last month when we found out he had a banana allergy. Since then, I've once again had to cut out dairy from my diet (which had previously not been a problem after his initial problems with it at a few months old).

Needless to say, until he puts it in his mouth, he's not getting it.

I've given him a few Oatios to play with so I can eat breakfast in the morning, but, he'll stick them in his mouth and when they get soft, he spits them out again. He tried to swallow a bit of it after it had gotten too soft to spit out but his gag reflex was back (wonder if it's his body telling him after the banana allergy bit that he doesn't need to rush it?).

His energy level is sky high and he's growing well, so I'm not concerned at all. And at least now I can look like a less evil person for not giving him daily solids since he has had not good experiences with them at all.
#9 of 18 Old 11-05-2003, 11:24 AM

Zane is phasing out of the baby food (jars), he only wants to do it himself now. He will scream if we try to feed him most of the time! LOL

This is what he eats:
sweet potato fries
carrotts
corn
mash potatoes
green beans
bananna
pinneapple
some meats (meatballs, chicken pieces)
loves anything carb! : crackers, pancakes (plain), grahm crackers, wagon wheels, apple crisps, bread, toast, and a zillion others I can't remember

cheese
cottage cheese
pudding

I'm sure there is more, but can't remember

oh, gotta add cheerios and rice cakes! His favs!!!
#10 of 18 Old 11-05-2003, 12:57 PM

my dd is 10 months and she doesn't eat any solids. we have tried everything. she will play with cherrios and put them in her mouth but always spits them out. recently we have been giving her forzen cubes of sweet potato still frozen to teeth on and she may be getting some in her that way. she still seems to have a VERY STRONG tongue thrust.

amy
#11 of 18 Old 11-05-2003, 03:34 PM

Elilzabeth is 9 months old. It's reasurring to see that she's not the only babe who doesn't take much to regular baby food. We introduced solids around 6 months but she would just do raspberries with her food and spray everything out, even when she was hungry. The pediatrician has given me a hard time about her not eating rice cereal b/c of the iron blah blah blah. . . I mean, what can you do if the baby won't take it?
In the past week or so she's started doing well with finger foods so I'm thinking she's just going to skip all that pureed food and go straight for self-feeding. I haven't tried many different foods though b/c I'm scared she'd inhale little food pieces.
#12 of 18 Old 11-05-2003, 03:55 PM

Ds is 10.5 mo and not really on solids to speak of. Any food we put mashed up on the table for him--so far sweet potatoes and squash and banana--gets used as fingerpaint. We have a babysafe feeder and he likes to suck on banana in that. He also has a strong gag reflex so I figure his body just isn't ready. At 28 lbs his body seems to be thriving on mama's milk.
#13 of 18 Old 11-05-2003, 04:19 PM

My 2 daughters are like night and day when it comes to foods. Echo(4/9/01) diddn't really eat any solids until she was 11 months and then only finger foods. We tried the baby foods at 6 months and again at 9 months and both times she gagged and wanted nothing to do with it and got diaper rash--- she was sensitive to milk in my diet as a wee one too, but was over that by 6 months. I think she just had some sensitivities to grow out of. Now she eats everything. Saffron was reaching out for foods and trying to eat things off our plates at 4 months (she's 11 months now) It was a struggle to wait until 5 1/2 months before introducing things to her. She has never wanted us to feed her--would clamp her lips shut when we'd offer the spoon, but then reach out and feed herself with it when we put it down. She has preferred tiny finger foods since she was 6 months--bits of banana, pear. all legumes. Broccoli has been and still is a favorite--it has a handle Eating is a full body sensory experience for her and NOT a tidy one. Both girls still nurse. Echo only a few times/ day. Saffron still quite often, and reliably after every meal. Echo calls it her boobie desserts: If we have more babes I now know that the calendars for starting foods are ridiculous. Your baby knows what it needs when it needs it and will let you know if you're paying attention.
#14 of 18 Old 11-07-2003, 12:02 AM

My dd is 10 months old too and is not eating much at all. I try to offer food to her twice a day. We never did jars of baby food. When we are making dinner and snacking she really is interested so I will give her some O's and that makes her happy.

A meal for her will consist of three pieces of cereal and 3 peas!
She has had quite a number of different foods, but in such small quantity. She likes the mini wheat free waffles. She will not eat anything cold. I have to take yogurt out of the fridge and let it sit for a bit and then feed it to her off of my finger.

She seems interested so lately I have been thinking maybe she is bored with what I am offering. Last week I gave her hummus and she seemed to really like it. I also gave her a taste of my gardenburger and she liked that too.

Michelle mom to Maya 12/28/02
#15 of 18 Old 11-07-2003, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

MAYA
and
AYA

were born on the same day!!!!

And she too doesnt like the cold stuff!!!
#16 of 18 Old 11-07-2003, 09:31 PM

i noticed that too. and everyone calls her maya papaya.

Michelle
#17 of 18 Old 11-07-2003, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

they call her aya papaya as well. do you get the hiya maya thing too?
#18 of 18 Old 11-08-2003, 03:09 PM

We got the hiya Maya when she was first born. We told people that so they would know how to pronounce her name.
Michelle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page