Feb 08 babies are turning 7 months already!! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, what a whirlwind!

Welcome back Gerlassie and NamastePlatypus!!!

Carrie, I'm SOO glad it was bananas! What a crazy ride, who'd have thought it would turn out like that?

Crikey Helen, I agree with SLGT.

OH Amy, I'd have been horror struck if I found my little one with such a cut, I feel badly if she bonks her head anywhere. FWIW, superglue was invented to use in place of stitches, and many veternarians use it to seal cuts. Just watch out what she does with her hands as it dries.

Smokeylo and Dea, how freakin' cool!!

Dude, I know I'm not that much older than many of you, but hell, is a 75'er that old? heh. I'm all earthy all around, I'm a Virgo/Wood Rabbit. Which is right about where I am mentally/spiritually...: (incidentally, DSS is a Virgo/Rabbit too, we've got the same birthday exactly 24 years apart).

I got my period at just before 13. I'm not sure about my mom, but her menopause was a breeze. She had longer cycles, her doc said watch out for the laundry list of menopause symptoms. And she just stopped having cycles. No hot flashes, no nothing. Since it seems my pregnancy was as long as (most) of hers, maybe I will luck out in menopause too? Here's hopin'!

So I think we've got the great bottle strike of Aught-Eight sorted out. I have been pumping and testing and scalding and not scalding and sniffing and whatnot and I think the excess of lipase was the answer. Woot! So now I've got myself a hot pot in the office to scald the milk, so it won't be nasty horrid when she has to drink it (or violently protest drinking it). I brought her in with two scalded bottles today, so she should be good. NO calls yet from them, so

But on the flip side, her little bum's taking a beating. All those solids and not much milk during the day, and her poop struggles and her bottom's all red, and she's getting at diaper changes. I think I'm going to buy some sposies and let them slather her up at daycare. I could use the washing break. She's also got a bump on each labia, which I'm sure the DCP will spazz about and require ANOTHER ped visit. They're bleeding me dry @ $25 a copay.

signature currently in transition
#452 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post

How weird is that, mamas? Dea and I have the same birthday, and SO DO OUR DAUGHTERS!!!
Very cool.

Helen, I'm with the others-- I'd have thrown a withering look at the teacher when I got there and done my best to make her feel as though she was six years old.

My sister was always doing awful things to her glasses in school. She absolutely HATED them, especially before the advent of ultralight plastic lenses. I mean she'd hide them on the bus, or on the playground, or put them where all the kids would step on them, or underneath a strategic puddle of mud where the kids would land jumping from the swingset... you name it,s he did it-- deliberately, too. Now she's got second or third generation ultralight lenses.. and they're still half an inch thick (just to put into perspective how heavy the glass was). She can wear cute wire-rims, though, and she puts her glasses away rather than hiding them where they'll go into the trash.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#453 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
So I think Austin has a stomach bug. He's gotten sick 3 more times since then (although nothing else is left to come up.) Poor kiddo. I don't even know what to do. DH is at work and I'm all alone until he gets home I debated calling my parents, but I think he's doing alright for now. He's laying on the couch watching cartoons for now. I'm hoping he'll fall asleep soon or maybe will ask to go to bed.

He's asking for milk now and I had to tell him no...would water be ok....? I guess I'll just have to try.

ETA Updated Pics:
May '08
Sept. 25, 2008
Hope Austin is OK! And...YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!!:
#454 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Teeny, a 75er is certainly not old, as I was born in 73 and am simply smashing.

Love to all.

A happy woman
#455 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 04:22 PM

I'm an '86 I feel outta the loop lol.

Austin is better. He hasn't thrown up since 5 this morning and DH gave him some cereal this morning and made him a half peanut butter sandwich whic he didn't eat. He doesn't have much of an appetite, but I'm keeping his sippy full so hopefully he's over it.

I'm hoping for some quality one-on-one with DH the next couple of days. We haven't had time for the last week or two because of his state exam.

Steven just got ahold of the pb sandwich He seems fine so I think we're ok, but I'm watching him close. He was so proud of hisself too lol *sigh*

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#456 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 04:33 PM

Yeah, we had an incident with a packet of quavers today. (cheese crisps, I have no idea how to translate them into American.)
This school and I have long issues with the whole issue of supporting kids to look after their stuff. In the end, I'm completely in agreement with the head on the ideological stuff of children being people and coming good in the end, and I like the way they handled Alex's problems with being bullied, so we're staying. I just wish they had a more user-friendly approach to school uniform maintenance, inhalers and broken glasses.
Oh, and to finish the catastrophe off because Isaac has got through three lenses in a month (the opticians kind of messed up with the screws after the first round of repairs) there's a possibility I'm going to be charged for the lenses in the replacement pair. That's not a huge deal (I did point out to the opticians that I will be suing to recoup my costs, if this happens) but it will bug me greatly if it does. When he sees the consultant, I think we're going to ask seriously about contacts, though- it's something he really wants and he plays enough sports now that he'd benefit from them.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#457 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
Teeny, a 75er is certainly not old, as I was born in 73 and am simply smashing.

Love to all.

LOL, maybe I'm just feeling my granniness...

#458 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I'm a '65 so we can be loopy together.

Happy belated birthdays. I wasn't born on September 28, but it is the anniversary of when I quit smoking. Cigarettes, that is. Three years now.

Helen, I could never wear glasses and can't believe the DMV doesn't say anything about it on my driver's license because they just don't correct my vision enough for it to be safe for me to drive in them. I did all the deliberate losing/destroying that Rynna describes her sister doing and then some, but have had no trouble at all with contacts and even have a wonderful eye doctor who understands that I want to be able to see well enough to function, but find 20/20 vision to be too noisy and distracting for comfort.

I was very surprised to find that the gene for "correct" vision is dominant over myopia, but that's what my eye doctor told me when I first started bringing the big kids in. Neither of them needs glasses. Terran will, but hopefully not as strong a prescription as I do.

Without my contacts, I can't count my toes without using my fingers and when a new eye doctor asks me what I can see on his eye chart, the honest reply is "There's a white rectangle on your wall." so Terran's vision doesn't have to be very good to be better than my own.

If Isaac is dealing with this kind of a problem, I'd seriously get him into contacts as soon as you feel safe. I use the disposable kind and a year's worth costs less than half what my "emergency glasses" did over five years ago.

NamastePlatypus!!!! So great to see you! I was just looking at the archives and reading what we were posting this time last year; was I ever a self-conscious dork!

Teeny, I'm so glad tjhe bottle strike seems to be over! I'm thinking seriously about giving my pump away in the next little bit, even though I could certainly use the money, just to make things a bit easier on a WOHM and to thank the universe that I was able to make it this far without needing it. I certainly didn't expect THAT stroke of good fortune this time last year.

slgt, thank you so, much for thinking of me; I needed the warm fuzzies. : I'm afraid my coffee adiction has returned with a vengeance too and I don't think I could function without it. :

sarahn4639, I totally feel you about politics; for me it's economics that is stressing me out.

About the only thing I want to say about the economy and how it is affecting my family on a personal level is that the silver lining is no visit from my mother after all. I'm relieved because I do NOT want her in Terran's life until she gets over her classism and related power trips,. It was my INCOME that was cut in half when exy stopped paying child support, not my intelligence.

#459 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I'm a '65 so we can be loopy together.
I couldn't ask for anyone better to be loopy with :

Steven has been a crank ball today. Fussy for no reason. Doesn't seem overly interested in nursing. I try to hold him and he wants to wiggle away. I put him down and he cries. I don't know what to do. He's not chewy today so I don't think its his teeth.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#460 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 05:46 PM

I'm a 78'er, so I guess I should place myself in the middle of things.

NOS, I've been meaning to tell you that I saw a mom and LO in the park last week. The little guy was probably about 18 mos, and the mom looked to be somewhere in the mid-40ish range (she looked great!) and they looked so happy together that my thoughts went to you and Terran, running around and playing next summer:.
#461 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM

-Also, been meaning to send a big "EEWWWWWwwwwwww" your way, Sarah!!! We had a mouse a while back, it came in with our Christmas tree, and I discovered that, while I am totally cool with snakes, spiders, worms, etc, apparently I have a fear of rodents. I spent the entire time up on the easy chair in the day, DS was an infant so it was easy to sit and hold him, until DH finally caught it. I couldn't get the thought of the feeling of mouse feet on my skin out of my head, and just about couldn't get myself out of the chair. Weird things...crazy fears! That mouse was so tiny, and I was glued in the chair?!!!

As for us, I had a lovely chat with a lactation consultant about Molly today. She is nursing perfectly still, but is now getting the VAST majority of her calories at nights these days. She is eating a full meal every two hours all night long, so I finally broke down and called a LC that I know for some strategies to move more calories to the day. I know in my head and heart that she will some day be ready for longer stretches of sleep, so the fact that I never get more than 2 hours at a time is no big deal, I know it will pass, but I am looking forward to some more of her calories coming in the daytime. If only she would start liking solids...oh, well. She's only 7 mos old, there's plenty of time.

Teeny, glad the bottles are working now!

Helen, sorry about the crappy day!!: I am also a contact wearer/glasses hater.

And I agree with ya'll about the economy!!:: I just saw the Dow is down something like 700 points today. What a crazy time this is. To all those astrologers out there...is this what they meant when they talked about Saturn's arrival!!??
#462 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
NamastePlatypus HI HI welcome back!!
[QUOTE=flapjack;12280822]NamastePlatypus cute pictures.QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post
NamasteP - welcome back! Your kids are adorable...looks like they are sharing a bed? Cute attack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post

NamastePlatypus
Welcome back!
Thanks mamas I have missed you all! I think staying here will be kinder to the Paypal as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post

How weird is that, mamas? Dea and I have the same birthday, and SO DO OUR DAUGHTERS!!!
THAT is so freaky deakyness!

Quote:
NamastePlatypus!!!! So great to see you! I was just looking at the archives and reading what we were posting this time last year; was I ever a self-conscious dork!
: no you were not!:
Glad to be back!

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
#463 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM

Emily-- the Saturn Return thing has to do with turning 30 (more precisely, 29.5-ish), 60, and if you're lucky enough to live that long, 90. It's when Saturn gets back to the position it was in when you were born. Usually starts making life messy when you're about 27, and continues until you're about 32. You know, like me. Not that my life is remotely complicated. No, not me. My life is simple and easy as pie.... *mutter*

I sent a boatload of stuff to Bean's teacher today, with change I'd scrounged from the car. Think happy thoughts at it, that she understands and accepts what she sees for what it is and acts appropriately.

And... L'shana Tova! :

#464 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Emily-- the Saturn Return thing has to do with turning 30 (more precisely, 29.5-ish), 60, and if you're lucky enough to live that long, 90. It's when Saturn gets back to the position it was in when you were born. Usually starts making life messy when you're about 27, and continues until you're about 32. You know, like me. Not that my life is remotely complicated. No, not me. My life is simple and easy as pie.... *mutter*
Hmmm...interesting....I turned 30 in April. I'll definitely have to read more about this. I'm intrigued!
#465 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 09:41 PM

L'shanah tova, y'all!

Yay for no more throwing up, yay for no more bottle strike, yay for returning DDC-ers, yay for no visits from stressful mothers, and yay for 1975!

I am trying very, very hard not to think about the economy too much, but there it is, isn't it? Working from home means that I am no longer listening to NPR on my drive to & from work, and I am 100% convinced that it is part of the reason my stress levels are practically non-existent.

We have 2 huge expenses coming up that are going to put a serious dent in our savings - new driveway (it's 0.1 mile long) and a new car. We planned for it, but it's a bit scarier now to be looking at that much $$$ outlay when we know that we are on one income until February, at least. When DH goes back to work, he works in supporting luxury industry (boats), so ugh. That kind of thing will feel the pinch. Knock on wood, my company is still going strong, but we are doing everything we can to increase our ability to be self-sufficient.

Ugh.

This is why I don't like to think about the economy.

VP debate on Thursday, should be interesting. And an upcoming visit from the in-laws. And, if all goes well, the excavator will be showing up tomorrow morning to give us a new driveway.

The existing one is very narrow. DH put the tractor in the ravine twice b/c it is so narrow. Only once was he underneath it when it landed. We have friends who won't turn into our driveway in the winter. 'nuff said!
#466 of 478 Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM

It looks like things are looking up for most... no worms, no unwanted parent visits, better sleep, better health...... I hope it keeps on going. Welcome back NP and gerlassie. It's always nice to see who pops back in or joins afresh in this group.

So I'm rockin' a vintage 1972 model. Yeah, I'm that old, I bet most of you had no idea. It's not something that I bring up anyway..... mostly it just makes me feel like such a noob at the whole mothering thing when there are much more experienced mama's who are younger . Shouldn't the second oldest be a more experienced mothering person..... like someone who has multiple kids?

And the Saturn thing..... Rynna is right that it takes saturn about 30yrs to complete a trip around the zodiac. I'm obviously through the 30yr saturn thing. But since DP is hindu, we also study jyotish and in jyotish there are 2 periods of saturn doom and gloom. The 3.5 year version like Rynna mentioned, and the 7.5 year version called sade sati (pronounce: sawtee sot) when saturn bully's your moon around. I'm in that version.... it's not any fun. DP is approaching the other version next year..... good times!

Dea and Lauren - That is such a crazy coinkydink. You are like sisters!

Helen - I hope that you didn't lay down and shoot yourself. I could understand an inconvienent wound upon the teacher though, something like a foot

Yesterday was fun. DD LOVED. THE. LIBRARY. She smiled and coo'd the whole time and kept looking at how tall the book shelves were and stuff. I picked out a couple of board books of babies for her to look at. For myself I snagged a copy of "Einstein Never Used Flash Cards" and "NonViolent Communication". DD has learned how to go from being on her tummy back into a sitting position. No rolling over either way or true crawling yet. She does drag a bit, but will only go so far before she fusses for me to come get her.

to all!
#467 of 478 Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Dea

Lauren! I knew I loved you for a reason!

Mamas, I hate to be ignorant but what is "L'shanah tova"

NOS, I find it interesting that you like your world to be a little soft around the edges (with your eyesight). Mine is naturally, I can see well enough without glasses, but I do like things to be crisp so I wear them. But what I find to be so cool is how our senses work, you know the whole brain thing....

Also I love how our group goes from '86 to '65 and how we all have so much in common and how our ages are just some random number. I think it's amazing that we've been able to come together and make friendships like we have!
(hmm did I just go overboard on the warm fuzzies? but I really think it's amazing!)

So the stock market took another plunge today and I am starting to panic a little. I know it'll recover, but DH just was granted a bunch o' stock at work, and every day I see that they are getting to be less and less, and while I would like to just sit on them, it's not always feesable since there are things that we need to take care of. (we're going to New Zealand in November so that Trixie can meet her Nana, the one she's named after!) Sigh. DH figures it will all bounce back up after the election, providing the dems get in. But what if they don't??? ACK! I really wish I could vote!

I made a bunch of baklava tonight and it smells so good, but I am being good and disciplined and not sampling, but smells so good!!

Oh yeah NOS congrats on 3 years of no smoking! That's great! YAY YAY YAY!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#468 of 478 Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
If Isaac is dealing with this kind of a problem, I'd seriously get him into contacts as soon as you feel safe. I use the disposable kind and a year's worth costs less than half what my "emergency glasses" did over five years ago.....
About the only thing I want to say about the economy and how it is affecting my family on a personal level is that the silver lining is no visit from my mother after all. I'm relieved because I do NOT want her in Terran's life until she gets over her classism and related power trips,. It was my INCOME that was cut in half when exy stopped paying child support, not my intelligence.

Until now, we've always been told he's too young. His hospital appointment is in 3 weeks time, though, and I'm going to talk seriously to the consultant about it- we've always assumed that the contacts would have to wait until the squint is fully under control, but it looks like they might actually help control it too. I'm fully planning on offering him help with the cost of laser surgery for his eyesight when he's fully grown.

Oh, is anyone else's 08 baby still squinting, by the way? River goes in to be checked on the 13th- I'm hoping they agree to observe for a while because it is straightening itself out slowly, but there is a possibility that I'm going to have a very mini person in glasses and patches.

Grr and hugs and to you and your mum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post
L'shanah tova, y'all!

We have 2 huge expenses coming up that are going to put a serious dent in our savings - new driveway (it's 0.1 mile long) and a new car. We planned for it, but it's a bit scarier now to be looking at that much $$$ outlay when we know that we are on one income until February, at least. When DH goes back to work, he works in supporting luxury industry (boats), so ugh. That kind of thing will feel the pinch. Knock on wood, my company is still going strong, but we are doing everything we can to increase our ability to be self-sufficient.
My uncle deliberately keeps potholes in his driveway to keep people's speed down- there's a business and four other houses down there but he owns the driveway and is dreadful about doing maintenance on it. They've had a few near-misses though, of people zipping down so fast they missed the corner and parked in the trees overlooking their house, instead of the boarding kennels.
Oh, and my baby cousin used to work with his dad in a chandlery until his dad made him redundant. It wasn't even the end of the season, either : : This is the man who tried to liberate huge amounts of money from my big cousin's bank account when they divorced, so I'm not a huge fan. He (baby cousin) has a nice new job now working as a travelling sales rep for a company that sells boat type stuff, but I'm worrying for him. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you- looking on the bright side, at least your weather seems to be a bit more conducive to messing about in boats than ours has been this summer.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#469 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 02:13 AM

Wellllll I've had a long day. Bean was fine (we talked about the Trojan War a bit more and some other fun bits of Ancient Greece), BooBah's been feeling better so she was just a precaution. Bella was wheezing all night last night, and today a PA prescribed a spacer and a regular inhaler for her. After a PITA song and dance we tried it. Um, the kid is two and doesn't know what I'm saying when I say, "inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale." I doubt she got any of the medicine, and if she did get it it just plain isn't working for her because she's coughing right now and barking like a baby seal. Ugh. I'll have to get her to her regluar doctor so that she can get a nebulized albuterol script. I mean seriously, how did she expect this thing to work? Bella's not that kind of kid...

Bear was doing all right, but today (sweet lady of light help me) he's got the poops again. : Two diapers so far, and now he's wriggling around like his tummy hurts and crying (not tearlessly) for "no reason." I'm supposed to leave for the Farm Thursday or Friday, but if he's sick... : Ugh. I really need to go, and Bear really needs not to have the poops. I mean this is NOT COOL, what the hell is wrong with him?!

ETA: Great-- That was diaper number three, changed in the midst of an entirely tearless fit. It's now at a mucousy/watery consistancy (think watered-down glue or possibly tempra paints with a skin on top). : He's stopped drooling, too-- two teeth and two more ready to burst through, on top of the reflux and... well, for the past week and a half we've been floating in the stuff. He must have drooled on half of the guests at his aunt's wedding on Saturday. : Why couldn't he have gotten sick today, with his sisters, or tomorrow when I was going into town anyway? Better still... could he have, you know, not gotten sick again until he was three or four?!

#470 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 AM

Ohhhh Rynna I hope that bear is feeling better soon Bella too!

Quote:
I graduated HS in 86!

Anyones baby getting into things? Ashlee is into EVERYTHING! Opening cupboards and drawers pulling EVERYTHING out Guess I will have to baby-proof those too! I forgot about this baby proofing stuff!:
#471 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 AM

Mike graduated from high school in 86, and Bear's usually into things... though right now, he's pushing a bottle away and fussing miserably. If it's gonna be like last time, it just means he wasn't done pooping despite having blown out of his diaper. *sigh* More sposies...

#472 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Mike graduated from high school in 86, and Bear's usually into things... though right now, he's pushing a bottle away and fussing miserably. If it's gonna be like last time, it just means he wasn't done pooping despite having blown out of his diaper. *sigh* More sposies...
#473 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 AM

Rynna, if the doctor prescribed a spacer it has to be the kind with the mask on it. If you have the mask, just keep it in place for long enough for her to inhale it whilst breathing as she was (Isaac does a slow five breaths now, it used to be fifteen...) I will go on at length about this, but there is absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever to recommend nebulisers for the routine management of asthma. Four nebulised doses of albuterol are enough to get the typical kid bouncing off the ceiling with hyperactivity, because you're getting 10 times the amount of medication. That's, you know, quite drastic, and there's no evidence to suggest that it's actually more effective than the lower doses of albuterol administered via a spacer and inhaler. Your doctor (what is a PA, anyhow?) is seriously looking out for your kids interests on this one, so work with her, huh?

(for what it's worth, I love the old aeromatic ones, the ones that look like an outward-shaping hourglass, but Isaac's new aerochamber is cool too.You NEED to get the nurse to show the kid how to use it though)

Jezzy, River is a holy terror. He pulled my spinning wheel on top of himself last night in a quest to get to Aunty Jenn's orifice hook. I nearly killed him : At least he slept last night, eventually.

#474 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 09:41 AM

Rynna. Wish there were some way I could help.

Sharun, Twyla is starting to get into stuff, too. I hardly had to babyproof anything with the other two because they just never really tried, but I think we're in a different place with this one! She tried to climb the steps the other day.

Well, we thought we were in the clear, but my daily search yesterday turned up a live louse in Marley's hair, and a couple of nits in Ronan's. So we basically started again from scratch, although this time we coated our hair in oil and put bandanas on. We're planning to keep them on for a few days. I'm starting to feel like we're quarantined.
#475 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 AM

Raina, it took us a few trys to get rid of the lice that Emily had. Hang in there
#476 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Rynna, if the doctor prescribed a spacer it has to be the kind with the mask on it.
Nope. It's not that at all, it's the InspireEase. See, apparently this woman doesn't realize that little children breathe through their noses. :

Quote:
I will go on at length about this, but there is absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever to recommend nebulisers for the routine management of asthma.
True... but she's *two*. The medication has to get into the baby, or else it doesn't work at all. Bella has no idea how to "breathe through her mouth" if it's closed. She understands "blow out the candle," but she inhales through her nose. I tried manually collapsing and expanding the chamber, but it's obvious to me that the medicine didn't get into the baby at all (that, or her asthma is much more severe than I thought).

Quote:
Four nebulised doses of albuterol are enough to get the typical kid bouncing off the ceiling with hyperactivity, because you're getting 10 times the amount of medication.
This is absolutely true, but it's an argument against the premixed ampules albuterol for children more than anything else. When BooBah was little, she was prescribed those and I threw a fit because she was half the size and they told me, "Just pour about half of it in there." : After throwing the fit, they gave me a bottle of liquid albuterol with a dropper top and a big bottle of bronchial saline so I could mix it myself. Yes, it was two steps instead of one and yes, I had to (gasp!) *look* at what I was mixing, but I know the kid wasn't being overly medicated. I'd much rather do that than listen to Bella bark all night and know that she's doing cumulative damage to her little growing lungs (to say nothing of what happens to the rest of her little body when she's short on oxygen as she sleeps).

*sigh* I've got issues with asthma, having been asthmatic for the past 20 years.

Quote:
That's, you know, quite drastic, and there's no evidence to suggest that it's actually more effective than the lower doses of albuterol administered via a spacer and inhaler. Your doctor (what is a PA, anyhow?) is seriously looking out for your kids interests on this one, so work with her, huh?
A PA is a physician's assistant; Something between a nurse with obscene qualifications and a doctor, as I recall. If Bella was a little bit older, I'd be all in favor... but she doesn't get it, and she's too young for me to explain it while she's sick. I'm giving it a week and absolutely *no more*.

She also prescribed claritin for Bella, as asthma is "always" allergic in origin. She's um... how do I put this? WRONG. I told her that *my* asthma is triggered not only by allergies but by temperature and humidity changes, and that I'm pretty flipping sure that's what's going on with Bella, but no... she read a study somewhere and she knows everything now. : True: All asthmatics are allergic. False: All asthmatic attacks are allergy-induced. : I can read studies too, only I don't take random things and apply them where they don't belong! : Gah!

Quote:
(for what it's worth, I love the old aeromatic ones, the ones that look like an outward-shaping hourglass, but Isaac's new aerochamber is cool too.You NEED to get the nurse to show the kid how to use it though)
I like the things too, truth be told; I just don't think they're appropriate for this particular child, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect her to learn immediately when she's sick in the first place.

Raina... You've helped *plenty*. s At least I can get some freaking sposies now. We're on diaper #6 since about 10 last night.

#477 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 PM

New thread. (It's a good idea to link it to the old one, rather than have the link to the old one in the new thread, because *this* is the one that we get notifications for...)

#478 of 478 Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Ahh see Rynna, I never think about that subscription thing.

by the way. I am sending good thoughts to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page