So what would a yeast diaper rash look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've had a persistent diaper rash going on for about 2-3 weeks now. I've tried several things, and they reduce but don't eliminate the rash.

1st I tried Eucrine thinking it was a bit of eczema. But it's way worse than any of the other eczema spots she had. That seems to help a little.

Then I tried the Desitin. That seemed to do nothing.

She also gets an oatmeal bath once a week followed by a slathering with Eucrine wich helps keep the eczema almost non-existent.

The rash is a solid red raised area. It's not actually on her bum. It's on fat rolls on her thighs. It feels slightly dry and rough to the touch. When her diaper is off dd is constantly grabbing at the rashy area and has actually cut herself with her fingernails a few times.

Any ideas?

ETA mods, I chose this rather than the diapering forum because I suspect it's a yeast problem rather than a diaper problem.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 PM

He gets flat, red patches that become raw/oozy, may bleed if wiped (if he let me) and don't heal.

IME most rashes will change (improve or worsen) within 24 hours of any treatment. After trying 2-3 options I evaluate for yeast. This time around that consisted of treating for yeast and seeing miraculously fast improvement.

This gladdened my heart as he was beyond fussy, I was begining to evaluate food issues, we have a checkup this week and my ped thinks cloth diapers are a breeding ground for filth or at least a crazy amount of work.

ETA I wish I had a handy link to photos but hopefully a more helpful poster will come along soon.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 PM

When my son gets yeast diaper rashes, they look like raised `sunburns`. That`s the best way I can describe it.

Try Grapefruit Seed extract. Make a dillution and apply to the affected areas a couple times a day. When rediapering, make sure the area is really dry.

HTH
Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM

yup. i agree with the pp, "raised sunburn".

try some GSE (grapefruit seed extract), 10 drops per ounce of distilled water. apply to the rash with a cotton ball and let it dry.

you should see the rash improve within 24 hours.

you can also try applying lotrimin but avoid using diaper creams of any sort. they can just make it worse.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

nak

thanks ya'll. raised sunburn is a great description of what dd's rash looks like.

where do you find grapfruit seed extract? i don't think i've ever noticed it anywhere.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
nak

thanks ya'll. raised sunburn is a great description of what dd's rash looks like.

where do you find grapfruit seed extract? i don't think i've ever noticed it anywhere.
Got mine at the Natural Health Food store. About $10.00 for 2oz.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 AM

i think dd may also have yeast inf.

will a yeast infection ever go away on its own? just curious.

i'm thinking of calling our doc tomorrow. i just switched to homepathic doctor so not sure what the remedy will be as i'm new to homepathic methods.

i'd try the grapfruit thing but not sure where i'd get it. closest health food store ... might... have something like that but unsure. what about diluted grapfruit juice from a real grapefruit? too much acidity? maybe a dumb question, but i'm really clueless. and nothing has helped ...i've tried traditional methods ... AandD cream... airing out did help but i do have to diaper her at some point!! i tried butt pasted, some other thing... florisone? or something like that... nope.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:34 AM

Any time I've ever had a rash that didn't go away with normal diaper ointment, it's been a diaper rash that I used clotrimazole for. It looks more bumpy than patchy.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:40 AM

If she has eczema and a persistent diaper rash, you're probably looking at food allergies (see my blog for more info). My DD's diaper area flares up at the same time as her eczema, whenever she's reacting to a food that I've eaten. The only way to clear it (the diaper rash or the eczema) is to figure out the triggering food and remove it from my diet.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, or if you already knew all that... it's past my bedtime.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 AM

I put apple cider vinegar in the wipes water, gets rid or it straight away, and keeps it away if i keep putting it in the water.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
If she has eczema and a persistent diaper rash, you're probably looking at food allergies (see my blog for more info). My DD's diaper area flares up at the same time as her eczema, whenever she's reacting to a food that I've eaten. The only way to clear it (the diaper rash or the eczema) is to figure out the triggering food and remove it from my diet.

Sorry if that didn't make sense, or if you already knew all that... it's past my bedtime.
I really don't think the rash and the eczema are related. The rash has improved dramatically this morning since I started treating it for yeast. (thanks everyone the improvement is amazing) Also it's on her thighs next to her labia, so it's not in a place that indicates that poop is it's cause. Her bottom is totally rash free.

I do think the eczema is allergy related though. The other day DH was playing with her and letting her pet our dogs, something she's not done before now. They're big and clumsy so we've been keeping them away so far. Well, a few min. later her eyes were red and a little swollen and she was crying and obviously uncomfortable. It was clear to me that she had rubbed her eye with the hands that had petted the dogs and had an allergic reaction. We wiped her down and changed her clothes to get rid of the dog dander and I nursed her to calm her down (squirted some bm in her eye for good measure) and all was well. The next day the eczema patches on her cheeks, which I had almost managed to get rid of, were back big time and she had developed 2 new patches on her calves. That was a week or so ago and I've almost got those patches gone. Unfortunately she inherited both the allergies and eczema from me. Thankfully I know how to deal with them from my own experience.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM

I see you have a girl but for the category of did you know... I had my ped look at his rash as it is still with us and we had the aforementioned well-check today. She said that a yeast rash would be more scrotal not anal. I wonder if this is based on fact or her opinion.

And in the good news dept, She gave me no grief at all about vax's, just marked that we are still not doing them.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM

When DS had a yeast rash it was ALL OVER. This is the only thing that cleared it up once and for all.

http://www.frostfishcovesoaps.com/st...14896a82a1f6f3

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
Old 09-06-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterella View Post
When DS had a yeast rash it was ALL OVER. This is the only thing that cleared it up once and for all.

http://www.frostfishcovesoaps.com/st...14896a82a1f6f3
thanks for the link. i'm going to order some of this soap. have any suggestions for making sure it is totally out of my cloth dipes as well?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cekimon View Post
thanks for the link. i'm going to order some of this soap. have any suggestions for making sure it is totally out of my cloth dipes as well?
I went with HOT water and a little bleach. But this is my 1st time dealing with it.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM

grapefruit seed extract or sunlight are better for your dipes and your babe than bleach. both will kill the yeast!

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Old 10-28-2008, 12:30 AM

My dd has a rash on her bottom & a little bit on her stomach. My father thought it was a yeast infection so I've been using clotrimazole. It will sometimes leave, and then be back within a day or two. It doesn't seem to be bothering her too much, however, her daycare provider thinks it is "contagious" and is insisting I take her to see a pediatrician. Is yeast infection contagious? What else should I try? I like the apple cider suggestion.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 PM

So I bought some grapefruit seed extract and would like some opinons on what to do with it. I get that I use 10 drops per oz of water and I put it on with a cotton ball and let dry. Is this correct? How long do you normally see results? Do I do it after each diaper change? Do I was the diapers with it too?
TIA
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 PM

You can get OTC yeast infection cream (clotrimizole is good) and apply it a few times a day and see if that helps.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofFive View Post
You can get OTC yeast infection cream (clotrimizole is good) and apply it a few times a day and see if that helps.
I am also dealing w/ yeast rash. ACV in the wipes water and lots of naked time seemed to be working but then it came back. Now i'm trying lotrimin and the little red bumps are now gone but the area is now bright pink. Is it healing or is it something else? should i also be using zinc oxide at the same time?

with the ACV the skin looked closer to normal color but it was kind of dry looking/feeling. not flaky but more alligatorish. i hate this dumb rash!!!

Mama to two sweet girls!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 PM

When I was dealing with the yeast rash I would put the clotrimizole on and then a diaper rash cream over it. It's the only thing that worked for us. Good Luck

User Tag List