probiotics for newborns? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever given probiotics to a newborn? I never thought about it, but if I do get antibiotics this time around during labor, I was worried about baby's intestines not having the beneficial bacteria to protect him from the bad ones. I don't know if I have this info right, but if I am given antibiotics during labor, they will also pass to baby right? And that is why the concern for thrush, etc. So, in addition to of course BF'ing as much as possible round the clock to get all the colostrum possible into his tummy, should I give him probiotics too? I started researching a bit and found Natrens Life Start, that supposably has the one infants need the most. Should I start taking that one now? Would it even get to him now? Or would some be in my breast milk for when he is born? Or would it be a waste of money to have me take it now, and I should instead wait to give it to him directly? And from what point on would his tummy be able to handle a probiotic directly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM

Wouldn't you taking them both now and while nursing be good enough?
I dunno, I'm super hesitant to give a newborn anything other than breastmilk, but that's just me.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

so probiotics taken by me will be in the breastmilk? That's what I wasn't sure of.

Normally I would not think a newborn would need anything other than breastmilk either, but then again, I've never been given antibiotics while pregnant. So because of inexperience, I've got lots of questions!
Old 09-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Sorry, not in your DDC.. but I stumbled across your thread in the new posts.

If your labor is natural, then I agree with PP that nothing is necessary except BM.

HOWEVER- if you have abx before/during/after labor and/or a c-section, then YES YES YES- you definitely want to put yourself AND your babe on probiotics. I didn't, and DD ended up with some really serious food allergies. I'm down to about 7 foods in my diet (that don't bother her) and we're working hard on gut healing to get us back to 'normal'. You can check out my blog for more info on that.

If you do use a probiotic for your babe (and no, the probiotic will not pass through your BM, so you would need one for you and the babe) I would use one that is dairy-free, and that contain B.infantis- which is the natural strain in an infant's gut. Kirkman Labs Bifido Complex is the one that we use for DD.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
so probiotics taken by me will be in the breastmilk? That's what I wasn't sure of.
I don't know. But again, I'm hesitant to do anything other than breastmilk for a newborn. Breastmilk is the perfect food after all.

But my DS did get a diaper area thrush infection from being on steroids when he was about 4 months old. I bought a probiotic powder (meant for babies) and made a paste out of it with some expressed milk and then slathered it on my nipples before nursing. He cleared right up.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM

That is an excellent idea! I mean, slathering it on the nipples. Do you think the same could be done for thrush? I mean, it could work, right?

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

from what I've read, you can put some (powder form) on your finger and then put your finger in their mouth. That and the nipple idea is the only way I can think to give probiotics to a baby unless your bottle feeding of course which I will not do at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I mean, slathering it on the nipples. Do you think the same could be done for thrush? I mean, it could work, right?
I think so. My DS was hospitalized at 4 months old for respiratory problems. All the crap they had to give him in the hospital led to an awful diaper rash that covered his entire bottom and penis. It was awful. Some baking soda in a warm bath and the probiotics on my nipples had him cleared up really quickly- like 2 days I think. I would definitely try it.

Quote:
, you can put some (powder form) on your finger and then put your finger in their mouth.
Well, I think the powder is supposed to be diluted... plus, babies are used to sweet breastmilk, so I doubt the plain powder would go over very well.
When I made DS's bottles for daycare, I usually added a bit of probiotics, too. Helped to combat the germs.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM

im pretty sure probiotics pass through bm..thats how i got them into ds the first 2 years.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to Life with a Babe

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

User Tag List