Drooling-rash around the mouth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is probably so basic I should be embarrassed for posting and being so lazy as to not look it up myself....

DD is a drool machine... a factory... I would bottle it up if I could find a market for it. Its all teething related, I'm sure. The thing is, she's developed a pretty good rash on both cheeks at the corners of her mouth where her pacifier sits. I'm limiting binki use as much as I can but it's not enough to clear it up. I've started smearing a dab of lanolin on the sites after patting them dry to try to protect them. Anyone else have suggestions?

And it really is just from the drooling, right? It looks like tiny raised blisters... in the back of my head, I worry it's some horrid form of thrush. But that's silly. Right?!? *where's the paranoid smiley?*
#2 of 8 Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 PM

My DD has had this too. It gets bad when I let her sleep with her nuki. I try to take it out when she sleeping.

Mother to DD (9) DS (6) DD (3)
#3 of 8 Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 PM

My dd had this until recently. I realized it was from where her drool met with her clothing. She doesn't use a soother, but sucks her thumb, and I think this helps draw the drool to the sides of the face.
I just put Vaseline on it whenever it was dry, or I'd use diaper cream before bed to act as a barrier.
It's cleared up now, but she had it all summer.
#4 of 8 Old 09-07-2008, 12:09 AM

Vaseline is your friend!

Dry the face off, apply Vaseline generously and completely to the area. Do this 2+ times per day. The rash should get better within 2-3 days.

If the rash does NOT get better, there might be a real issue. But usually it is from the excess moisture.

Good Luck!
--LEE
#5 of 8 Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 AM

Try changing the pacifier to one that has the holes or an open area around the mouth. I have always used a nappy rash cream that has high zinc content, I found it clears it up quickly.
#6 of 8 Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewd View Post
Vaseline is your friend!

Dry the face off, apply Vaseline generously and completely to the area. Do this 2+ times per day. The rash should get better within 2-3 days.

If the rash does NOT get better, there might be a real issue. But usually it is from the excess moisture.

Good Luck!
--LEE
:

Vaseline is the only thing that ever worked on my babies drool rash and she had it bad...Works great!!!
#7 of 8 Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 AM

I put lanolin on at the first sign of redness, and the rash has stayed away...I use lanolin for everything (and he's never had diaper rash yet, even!)
#8 of 8 Old 09-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I use Aquaphor on DD a couple of times a day to prevent drool rash, but I'm sure anything that will act as a moisture barrier will work.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page