Extremely sensitive to noise...should I be concerned? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 2.5 months old and very sensitive to noise. If something is too loud for her, she gets really upset and is almost unconsolable. For example, if the kids start yelling nearby, she freaks out and if she is in the van and I close the hatchback, she freaks out. I have never had a child like this, and it kind of make s me wonder if something is wrong. Should I be concerned? Did anyone else have a baby like this? Do they outgrow it, or is it a sign of something else? Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 03:04 AM

Can't tell you if it's "normal" but my little guy was like that. He would hear and react to my husband closign his CELL PHONE! That was in the hospital. He startled and looked around for the noise at 24 hours old.

Sudden noises and things like that freaked him out in the beginning, BIG time. I know of so many kids that just konk out in white noise- with him it was the worst.

I have one VERY loud SIL and everytime she started talking loudly he started crying, he hated loud people. Now at 18 months he is literally the life of the party. But to this day he does not just pass out like other tired toddler, he needs a very aware and active transitioning to "sleep time". A seperate room, darker at night, quieter- he will sleep better with a fan on, but do NOT have it on when he needs to fall asleep-he will investigate the sounds, it hinder's is falling asleep.

My little guy outgrew the total freakout in regards to sounds, but to this day he is very aware of his acoustic surroundings.

I would definitely check for food intolerances (dairy in your intake for example), as that be a sign for an intolerance.

My little guy was very easy to startle at that age- and I guess some babies are just like that. I was told non-stop how I should MAKE extra noise to "get him used to sounds", great advice. I did not MAKE him that aware of acoustics, he just is that way. He is better about it now, but he was never a baby that slept through crowds and noises, he is just WAY to curious, always was, even as a newborn.
#3 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 12:40 PM

DS was/is similar. He startles easily at noises and lights bother him. We've just learned to be a bit quieter and he's adapted to some sounds. Things still freak him out, loud people especially but he's usually okay if he's being held and reassured.

Sleeping was the big issue as any noise would wake him. We have black out curtains in his room and a white noise machine to drown out traffic sounds (and we live on a relatively quiet residential street!).

I know that I am somewhat like that. I hate going to action movies/concerts b/c it's too loud, I can't sleep at night if there are any noises. It just really bothers me, can't explain it, can't make it stop.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#4 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM

Mine was like that when awake, but will sleep through a trainwreck. At first he'd freak out when DH blew his nose, we sneezed, etc. Now he's much better about it and doesn't freak out when the toaster pops up anymore. The only thing that still startles him is our kitchen faucet for some reason. He'll do this weird shaking thing if I'm holding him and turn it on too fast.

But the good news is that your babe will probably grow out of it.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#5 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 03:03 PM

dd2 was like this. She is still sensitive to noise to some extent, but is not as sensitive as she was.

My guess is that some babes are just more sensitive to environment than others, but grow accustomed to their surroundings in time, if that makes sense.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 09:22 PM

My dd was like that - and as it turned out it was most likely because she was hard of hearing. Her audiologist said that her range of normal volume is much narrower than someone with normal hearing and that something that to us might not really be that loud seem very loud to her.

Have you done a newborn hearing screening? If not, I highly recommend it.

But chances are your baby is just a bit sensitive to all the new sounds.
#7 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 PM

She may just be a sensitive child. I don't really remember my ds being really sensitive as a baby, but he def has sensitive hearing now. Fireworks and loud noises scare him. He doesn't do well in loud crowds. he's also sensitive in other areas.

I recommend the book The Highly Sensitive Child.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page