Do babies get bored??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My formerly mellow baby has become increasingly whiny lately... she's 7 mo. She makes this loud "uhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" sound a lot, while in the sling as I work around the house, while sitting on the floor playing w/ stuff (it used to amaze me how she'd sit and play for 20-30 minutes!!!)... now she gets whiny/fussy after just a few minutes of sitting there... or she ignores stuff put out for her and lunges at the toys that her 3 yo sister is playing with at the moment. She is on the brink of crawling, so maybe she's frustrated that she can't go anywhere yet?? And is it possible for a baby to become bored with hanging out in the sling, even when I am moving around doing stuff? I thought that's how they best learn... by watching as I do dishes, laundry, etc. around the house w/ her in the sling.
#2 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 PM

DS is 4 months old today. He definitely gets bored. He will be fussy in the house, but fine if we go out for a walk. Fussy if I'm holding him, and then fine if I pass him to DH. Fussy in one room, and fine if we move to another one. Fussy with one toy, and fine if I give him another one. The sling often keeps him entertained if I'm moving around and doing stuff, but not always. Often he'd rather sit with his sisters and watch them play.

I suspect that your DD will be better once she starts crawling. She's probably bored of being in one place and ready to do some exploring. I know a lot of moms who felt that their almost crawler was a bit difficult to entertain, and them their new crawler was happy to go off and do their own thing.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#3 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM

Yep, I think they do!

My dd is only 2 months, but she can be happy hanging out with a mirror and some hanging toys and then...boom...she's whiney until we give her something new to do and then she's smiling and happy again.
#4 of 8 Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM

My 5 mo makes that "uuuhhhhhh" sounds alot recently. I don't wear her around the house, but I did get bored the other day and dad wasn't around to leave her with, so we went to the grocery store and I wore her in my Mei Tei -- and she was so fascinated. Her eyes were wide the whole time and she didn't make a sound.

A change of scenery is nice for even the little ones.
#5 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
DS is 4 months old today. He definitely gets bored. He will be fussy in the house, but fine if we go out for a walk. Fussy if I'm holding him, and then fine if I pass him to DH. Fussy in one room, and fine if we move to another one. Fussy with one toy, and fine if I give him another one. The sling often keeps him entertained if I'm moving around and doing stuff, but not always. Often he'd rather sit with his sisters and watch them play.

I suspect that your DD will be better once she starts crawling. She's probably bored of being in one place and ready to do some exploring. I know a lot of moms who felt that their almost crawler was a bit difficult to entertain, and them their new crawler was happy to go off and do their own thing.
:

ive been experiencing the same exact thing. ive realized ds just needs more stimulation and variety of things to keep the day interesting and that seems to do the trick when he gets fussy after all his basic needs have been met...their brains are like sponges theyre just trying to tell us they want to learn more and be exposed to interesting things.
#6 of 8 Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
She is on the brink of crawling, so maybe she's frustrated that she can't go anywhere yet??
Bingo!

And I can see why you'd get bored in the sling - exploring and touching things is fun.
#7 of 8 Old 09-11-2008, 09:36 AM

I have a bored one, here-he loves to go for a walk around the block, though, he sits in the stroller, with one leg kicked out to the side and just watches the world go by...he also gets really tired of sitting still and nursing, he likes me to wander about so he can nurse and check out all the action everywhere in the house.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#8 of 8 Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 AM

yeah ds got bored at that age, still does at 13 months. We started going to the park and stuff when he was that age, on the verge of crawling and then when he was crawling, he just needed more. He got tired of being in the house all day and I decided that we needed to *do* something or go somewhere everyday, even in bad weather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page