Self-feeding/baby-led weaning support thread (fall 2008) - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 161 Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not_telling,

Yes, we should begin a Winter BLW Support thread. How do we proceed?

Thanks for making the suggestion! I'm looking forward to this!!

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 161 Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

I have a question -- DD is now 6 months old and has been showing interest in food for a long time, but I have waited until she turned 6 months. If you follow BLW, do you also follow the 4-day rule for introducing foods? Also, for a baby this young, do you let them join in eating at every meal or just start out with one a day?
#153 of 161 Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 PM

I do the 4-5 day rule as well, we have allergies in the family. I did one meal a day to start with, or more like a few meals a week when it was convenient. Now at 9 months I'm up to usually two meals a day.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
#154 of 161 Old 02-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siera View Post
I have a question -- DD is now 6 months old and has been showing interest in food for a long time, but I have waited until she turned 6 months. If you follow BLW, do you also follow the 4-day rule for introducing foods? Also, for a baby this young, do you let them join in eating at every meal or just start out with one a day?
I think each family should assess their (and their children's) needs and do what works for them, of course! DD began eating foods on her 6-month birthday (though she desired them at about 5 months!) and we did NOT follow the 4-day rule as we do not have severe allergies in our family. We began with one meal/day but she very quickly informed us that she wanted to be included every time we eat. At 8 months now she even snacks when we snack. She wouldn't have it any other way. Consequently, I am careful, when in her presence, only to eat and drink those food items I am totally confident in passing her way should she ask.

Good luck on this journey - our whole family (extended as well) is loving it!

Doula Mama to DD (5/08) and DS (5/10) who taught her, in their births, the true meaning of surrender.
#155 of 161 Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliyah'smama View Post
not_telling,

Yes, we should begin a Winter BLW Support thread. How do we proceed?

Thanks for making the suggestion! I'm looking forward to this!!
I started a new one! We should just start posting on it and let this one slip away.

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#156 of 161 Old 02-16-2009, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Just wondering what kind of utensils/bowls/plates you mamas use. Right now I just put the food on DD's plastic tray, but the more I think about it, I don't want to continue to have her food in contact with plastic. I'm thinking of bamboo or wooden plates/bowls. Anyone have comments/anything to recommend?
#157 of 161 Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 AM

Well. When I try to use a bowl or plate, dd usually ends up dumping it out and often the contents end up on the floor, so I've found myself skipping this whenever possible. (She usually just wants to drum on the bowl)

I had picked up one of these bowl/spoon sets. It's really cute and I like it. But, after being dropped on the floor several times, it cracked. DH tried to glue it, and then one more drop broke it completely. I think maybe if I had oiled it it might not have been so brittle.

I really like the spoon - DD loves to teeth on it.

I also got some Bambu fork & spoon, and she likes chewing on that as well.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#158 of 161 Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie29 View Post
Just wondering what kind of utensils/bowls/plates you mamas use. Right now I just put the food on DD's plastic tray, but the more I think about it, I don't want to continue to have her food in contact with plastic. I'm thinking of bamboo or wooden plates/bowls. Anyone have comments/anything to recommend?
DD loves to play with bowls and spoons but the food doesn't remain inside them for long, which is okay, but doesn't change the fact that the food comes into contact with the plastic cover on the tray.

Have you read some serious research about concern for foods on plastic? I'm interested.

#159 of 161 Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 PM

I just use the tray, as she throws everything else.

signature currently in transition
#160 of 161 Old 02-17-2009, 02:01 PM

I started the 4 day rule with DS when he was 6 mo, but YUCK. What a pain. At this point (he's 8mo) we feed him whatever we're eating - minus dairy and eggs (he doesn't seem to react well to those). It's gone really well. We had a spit-up episode, and after eliminating foods, found out it was due to soy. So no soy either (we don't have it often).

If the 4 day rule seems like a pain to you, you can feed your DC and just keep an eye out for adverse reactions. I'd stay away from common allergens, citrus, and berries. Otherwise? Go for it! It worked for us.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#161 of 161 Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Oh, and a side benefit to feeding baby what you're eating - you'll find yourself making healthier choices.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page