someone give me the magic potion...quick! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i can't deal with this anymore. it's 10:30 and i've changed myself and my baby four times!!~!!~@!!@~!~@!!

he spits up everywhere. it's been going on for months.

i've tried not picking him up right away. spacing out the feedings. letting down in a diaper. mylecon drops, bruping often

I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING! and i'm seriously about to lose my mind here.

he's four months old
when is this going to end.
this is the worst friggin part about having a baby.
it's warm and disgusting and wet...i hate being wet, i don't even like taking baths. i hate doing laundry and already i do laundry every single god damned day because of this!

i can't deal with this!

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 PM

Babies are the best aren't they? They have no regard for our schedules, inconveniences, or patience limits. lol

It reminds me when my 5mth DD was about 2 months old and after a very sleepy 3am feeding (on both our parts), she proceeded to throw up all the milk on my bed. I had to change me, baby, and bed, and then sleep on one corner as the rest was damp. Me and baby giggled through the whole clean-up. It was a precious, crazy moment that I will laugh about when she is X age and doesn't want to be in my arms anymore.

My LO has a reflux problem, so although the above was a one-off, she spits up a lot.

Poor your baby if s/he has the same problem. Even if it isn't the same, poor thing to have to experience that. Our experience of it really pales in comparison, doesn't it?

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Only addition I can make is to feed a lot less in one sitting. My DD does well with 2 ounces, but will spit up with 4, usually on the new set of clothes I just put on, LOL. Oh, an always have a cloth on your chest or however you carry baby. Though they have an uncanny skill for aiming away from it, lol.

You gotta laugh.

All the best.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 PM

My DD was a spitter-upper - we called her the Fountain. Sometimes projectile, sometimes just urps, but it was ever-present. The doctor said, "burp her more often, that will help." Sadly, exerting any compression on DDs belly - which included burping her in any way - made her spit up promptly! Tilting her upright after feeding - surefire. Basically, there was nothing we could do to stop it. As my LC said, "It's a laundry problem, not a health problem." (as long as the child is a "happy spitter" - DD did not have reflux).

We never picked her up with less than a cloth diaper and two washcloths on-hand as burp rags.

Cutting dairy from my diet helped reduce it, but did not make it go away. It at least got rid of the projectile spitting up.

It petered out over the last month or so, and about 2 weeks ago she went down to only spitting up maybe once a day. My ped said that 6 months is the magical age...sure 'nuff!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM

With my LO, the spitting up went from extreme to almost non-existant with the elimination of dairy from my diet.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Have you looked in to your diet? I know when ever I ate tomatoes when dd was a baby, the next day was very bad. She continued to spit up often after I stopped tomatoes and it ended up being peanut butter (first time she had peanuts, she got hives.)

Mama of three.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM

Take a step back and look at this objectively. She is spitting no matter waht you do. Is ther anything you haven't tried? How are her diapers? Are they super watery?

My DD was the exact same way. No matter what we did, she puked, then wanted to eat more. It cause major over supply issues. I could actually hear the fluid coming up even when it didn't come out her mouth. We figured out (at about 5.5 months) tha she has issues with a few of the foods i was eating. Dairy, eggs and oatmeal mostly. This was just a peak into what would later become some major food allergy issues with her.

So, try changing something in your diet. Many babies have dairy issues. There is a lot of help here, just ask. Oh, and keep a ton of rags available at all times. i think even after cutting out the problem foods, my DD was still puky till about 9 months.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 PM

thankfully, my dd stopped cheesing me every hour somewhere between 5 and 6 months. now it's just once a week or so.

the puke has got to be my least favorite part of motherhood so far, too. there is truly nothing more gross than warm, sticky, sour smelling goo running down between my boobs, soaking my bra.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Old 09-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey View Post
With my LO, the spitting up went from extreme to almost non-existant with the elimination of dairy from my diet.
Us too. Actually DD stopped spitting up completely after I took dairy, soy, and eggs out of my diet. Now if she spits up, I know that I ate something bad and it's time to go back to my food journal to figure out what it is.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Us too. Actually DD stopped spitting up completely after I took dairy, soy, and eggs out of my diet. Now if she spits up, I know that I ate something bad and it's time to go back to my food journal to figure out what it is.
:

Also, try a chiropractor--they can work wonders with reflux/spitting up.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Oh yeah, us too. A few weeks ago he spit up twice within 2 days and it was a huge sign that something wasnt working. I later found out that a food I thought was safe had dairy, so it was easy to figure out.

You know, the dr. wanted to do medicine, and I didnt know any better, so I did it, and it helped a little. But, when we stopped it, he was right back to the way he was. Getting dairy out was our ticket to paradise.

I know hearing all this stuff about diet probably wasnt what you had in mind when you asked for the magic potion, but honestly, I have found the elimination of dairy to be a "magic potion" with my whole family. With it we have also experienced the elimination of seasonal allergies, eczema, reflux, and severe body acne.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsboyko View Post
Take a step back and look at this objectively. She is spitting no matter waht you do. Is ther anything you haven't tried? How are her diapers? Are they super watery?

My DD was the exact same way. No matter what we did, she puked, then wanted to eat more. It cause major over supply issues. I could actually hear the fluid coming up even when it didn't come out her mouth.

and :

yerrrrr right, matey. (that's supposed to sound pirate-y )
i wasn't expecting dairy-talk.)

it's so delicious, though.
and it's in chocolate.

i only get it in cheese form usually. we use rice/soy round here and most of my desserts are vegan. i can axe the cheese but there is NO WAY i'm giving up chocolate. chocolate and mdc are the only things i have these days, having given up coffee, cigarettes, and several other vices since el senor baby has arrived.

but still, it's not like currently we scarf down the cheese around here. i buy maybe a block of cheddar and a block of feta for recipes. usually it's one or the other. weekly. we use beans in place of ricotta every-single-time.

but i'll climb higher up the vegan tree.

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgt View Post
As my LC said, "It's a laundry problem, not a health problem." (as long as the child is a "happy spitter" - DD did not have reflux).
DD#1 was a happy spitter .... chubby, roly poly baby, never seemed to bother her, and she didn't have reflux. It went away when she was pulling up to stand. We did the whole cereal in her bottle, mylanta, the works ... nothing really helped, looking back. She just grew out of it.

DD#2 spit up, but not NEARLY as much. I just made sure I handed her to whomever with a spit cloth.

The boys RARELY spit up .. when they do, I never seem to have a cloth, since it catches me off guard!

Hugs, momma!! Hang in there!

Catholic homeschooling mom of 5 - a teenager, a kindergartener, twin boys and a tiny princess. Follow the Adventures! 

Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the pirate talk, gave me a laugh.

I can sometimes find dark chocolate with no dairy, rare, but it happens. ANd it cost a lot. Just a word of warning, dairy has like, a half life. So, if you eliminate some and not all, your body will still have dairy in it. And then reactions can still be present.

I wont lie, I do miss chocolate. I find myself eating fruity candies a lot more than I used to, to satisfy this sweet tooth. Also, chocolate rice milk actually makes me pretty happy.

Anyway, also watch out with certain types of bread, crackers, breadcrumbs, some lunch meat, and the chicken at Qdoba. Dairy can be found in the strangest of places.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:17 PM

Chiropractor may help. I used a pacifier to some degree to help the reflux issue.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

well i'm veggie and we make our own bread and breadcrumbs. crackers are a RARE luxury round here. really the only place i'm getting dairy from is chocolate and cheese.

and we already do see a chiro. maybe i can ask if there are special moves for spitting up. (baby was breech and i went for webster techniques and kept going as a family after baby was born.)

User Tag List