Teething fever, how high? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard of babies getting "low-grade" fevers while they are teething, but how high is "low-grade"? DD (10 mos.) has been teething pretty bad for the past month, but has been doing really well the past couple days. This afternoon she had a fever of 101.6 that went down after a dose of Motrin. Now it's back up to 101.8. Is this "low-grade," or is it likely related to something else? She's never had a fever before.

TIA!!
#2 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 01:54 AM

my ds ran a fever of 102.5 during teething. I could tell the difference because it wasnt like his nomal sick fever of three days. It was here for a bit, then gone, back for a bit, etc. I only treated if he seemed in pain and other measures werent working

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#3 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 AM

I came on here this morning to ask the exact same thing

I am starting to get pretty worried about my son. He's had a fever ranging from low-grade (with fussiness) to 103 for the past 3 days.
He is lethargic, clingy and miserable.

He IS teething- getting the top front two- but he wasn't ANYTHING like this with his bottom ones.
We took him to the paed yesterday because we were starting to get a little concerned- he has diarreaha, he's not eating (solids- he's still breastfeeding plenty), sleeping more than awake; I wanted to check for an ear or throat infection. According to her there is nothing wrong with him physically- she says we have to put it down to the teething- but this just seems a little extreme to me for teething?

Or is it? This is my first babe and I am really worried.

He doesn't handle high fevers well- his movements get twitchy and jerky and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this carrying on for much longer.

The paed took a stool sample to check for rota-virus but we won't have the results back for a few days. And even if it IS that, there's not much we can do right?

I'm sorry to high-jack this thread, but I'm really worried about my little guy.

Anyone have similar experiences/advice for me?

TIA
#4 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

mama! I totally feel your worry! My DD has never had a fever before today. I noticed this morning at our play group that she seemed very sleepy and started nodding off without nursing - totally not like her. She nodded off when DH was holding her this afternoon, and when she awoke from that nap she was burning up. 101.6 isn't that high, but she felt so hot! She's just a lump right now. However, she's otherwise completely normal. No fussiness or anything. Just hot and sleepy.

I'm a FTM, too, and don't want to freak out, but also don't want to take the situation too lightly.
#5 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 04:46 AM

Thanks.

I know the general consensus around here is that fevers are No Big Deal, but I just don't feel that way.

Like I said, his movements become jerky-his whole body twitches every minute or so in his sleep- he just doesn't seem to deal with it very well at all so I do medicate and do tepid baths to try and keep it from getting too high.
I just found out that there are febrile siezures in the family and...well I just would completely flip out if that happened.

IMO 103 is pretty high. It makes me uncomfortable and very nervous. it's not just the fever in itself, it's his behaviour as well.
Also it's been almost 4 days of this- it just seems out of the realm of "normal' for teething to me.

:

Let's hope these babes feel better soon huh?
#6 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 04:59 AM

DS has had several days of 103 degree fever with no other symptoms of being sick, just rubbing his mouth and fussing.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#7 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancechylde View Post
Thanks.

I know the general consensus around here is that fevers are No Big Deal, but I just don't feel that way.

Like I said, his movements become jerky-his whole body twitches every minute or so in his sleep- he just doesn't seem to deal with it very well at all so I do medicate and do tepid baths to try and keep it from getting too high.
I just found out that there are febrile siezures in the family and...well I just would completely flip out if that happened.

IMO 103 is pretty high. It makes me uncomfortable and very nervous. it's not just the fever in itself, it's his behaviour as well.
Also it's been almost 4 days of this- it just seems out of the realm of "normal' for teething to me.

:

Let's hope these babes feel better soon huh?
Well, fevers in and of themselves are no big deal.....its the whole picture. If there are other symptoms to cause worry, of course you should.

Hope your LO feels better soon and you are able to figure out whats going on

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#8 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM

My kids would easily get 103 fevers with teething. When they get that high, I give them Tylenol, just for the pain of a fever. Otherwise, I don't do much. You could put apple cider vinegar on their feet with socks, or garlic overnight with socks.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#9 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:

I am starting to get pretty worried about my son. He's had a fever ranging from low-grade (with fussiness) to 103 for the past 3 days.

He IS teething- getting the top front two- but he wasn't ANYTHING like this with his bottom ones.
We took him to the paed yesterday because we were starting to get a little concerned- he has diarreaha, he's not eating (solids- he's still breastfeeding plenty), sleeping more than awake; I wanted to check for an ear or throat infection. According to her there is nothing wrong with him physically- she says we have to put it down to the teething- but this just seems a little extreme to me for teething?

Or is it? This is my first babe and I am really worried.

He doesn't handle high fevers well- his movements get twitchy and jerky and I'm not sure I feel comfortable with this carrying on for much longer.

The paed took a stool sample to check for rota-virus but we won't have the results back for a few days. And even if it IS that, there's not much we can do right?

I'm sorry to high-jack this thread, but I'm really worried about my little guy.

TIA
I could have wrote your post. Life here is EXACTLY the same, except no diareha. He has been nursing a ton, way more than usual. He doesnt *like* solids normally, but right now it is a total no go. And he is SO clingy and lethargic. I know we both post in the Dec thread, but wanted you to know that I am RIght there with you.

We are going to the dr. today. I just want to rule out any ear infections. We have family problems with ear infections, like I still get them, my 60 year old dad just had one a few weeks ago. My last one took 2 months to get better, so even though I know some people dont worry about ear infections, I do worry.

In the back of my mind I think "It is just teething, that is it, there are no other symptoms." but I need to hear it from the ped or something. I dont know. My mom keeps saying "relax" but it is my first babe, and he is so hot and miserable, and sleep is a nightmare, and he is just so unhappy. It is hard to see him like this and not make sure he isnt in more discomfort than teething.

I do wish those stupid teeth would break through already. The one is almost all the way through, but the other is just sitting behind the gums taunting us. I have been gently scraping his gums, but it doesnt seem to be helping.
#10 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 PM

My son gets higher fevers when teething. I know the Peds always say they don't and that's it's something else, but I don't buy it. I've been through enough teething and fevers to come to the conclusion that it's very normal to have that high of a fever when teething.

My 13 month old is currently teething and has been running a 102 temp.
#11 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:

What would it mean to you if he had a febrile seizure?

My son's very first fever, he had a febrile seizure. It's actually how I figured out he had a fever (that and he turned nearly red hot in my arms inside of a minute, dramatic little thing). I felt him shake, felt him go hot, got my phone, called our ND. She said to take his temp, I did, she told me to take a tepid bath with him, NOT to worry, and call if it didn't go down. It went down, I didn't worry. I know that a kid prone to febrile seizures is going to be more prone to them, but otherwise they mean nothing. If he did it again, it wouldn't bother me, b/c it's just a reaction to the heat. No big to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSarah View Post
When they get that high, I give them Tylenol, just for the pain of a fever.
Hmm. I've had scads of fevers, and they don't hurt. You get hot, and that's pretty wild, but they aren't painful. For me, at least.

OK OP, my guy hit 104 3 nights in a row once, when he was getting something like 4 teeth in all at once. He was absolutely, totally FINE during the day, then at some point after bedtime he would start heating up. And that was 104 with an old fashioned shake-down mercury thermometer, taken under the arm. I would get up, get us into a tepid bath. Nurse him, hold him, sing to him. Splash (gently) the lukewarm water on his back and tum, and once he got all cooled down (and I was hot where he had been, it felt like the heat was transferring) we'd get out, dry off, dress, and go back to bed. After awhile he would heat up again and get fussy, we'd get back up, do the routine again.

It was exhausting for me! Especially b/c we were on vacation at my childfree brother's house (it was his thermometer) and I felt it was vital to keep DS quiet so we'd be invited back in the future.

I didn't medicate him b/c I wanted to KNOW if the fever was ongoing. If I had medicated, I wouldn't know so certainly that it ONLY happened in the night. I would think that he just felt better b/c of the medicine, and I wouldn't be so sure he was OK.

So I really don't recommend medication during things like this, b/c you don't KNOW what the fever is really doing, if you are putting drugs in baby's system to force the fever to stay down.

I'm so glad my son's ND knows that teething can cause fevers. It would drive me mad to try to talk to someone who doesn't believe it.
#12 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I could have wrote your post. Life here is EXACTLY the same, except no diareha. He has been nursing a ton, way more than usual. He doesnt *like* solids normally, but right now it is a total no go. And he is SO clingy and lethargic. I know we both post in the Dec thread, but wanted you to know that I am RIght there with you.
Thanks Matey..
It's so hard being responsible for someone else's life and not knowing when to do something proactive or just sit and support/observe..
Having a LO has certainly taught me alot about myself as a person!

Is your son feeling any better yet?

Quote:
What would it mean to you if he had a febrile seizure?
Milkybean; I'm not quite sure why a febrile seizure would be such a huge thing for me- I have done hours and hours of research on them and my *logical* brain tells me that even if it DID happen (and I know the chances are slim) that there are generally no long-term effects etc etc but for some reason it's just something that I'm PARANOID about and I know in my heart of hearts that I would not be able to deal with seeing my son having convulsions in a calm and calculated manner. I would completely lose it and maybe *that's* the reason I'm so afraid of it happening?
So, yes, I suppose in a way it's more MY issue than his- but nonetheless, I will do everything in my power to avoid ever having to be in that situation.It will always be a big deal to me.

Quote:
Hmm. I've had scads of fevers, and they don't hurt. You get hot, and that's pretty wild, but they aren't painful. For me, at least.
Maybe you are just lucky, or maybe I am unusual here, but when I have a high fever (and I would consider 103-104 high for and ADULT, nevermind a baby) I do feel "pain".
My skin becomes sensitive to the touch, my bones get an "achey" feeling, I can't get comfortable, bright lights and loud noises become overwhelming, my head hurts, there's just an all-over general feeling of discomfort with a fever and I would medicate MYSELF if I felt like that...so why would I let my LO go through the day(s) feeling that way if I could help him with a few mls of Tylenol every 5 hours?

It's not something that I do lightly, or at the drop of a hat, but when I can see he's miserable and uncomfortable, having difficulty falling asleep, especially if it's going on for day 4 of the fever, I medicate.

I DO understand your point about it masking the reason for the fever in the first place though, which was part of my frustration in my initial post....

I suppose we all just have to make the best decisions we can for our LO's as and when the opportunities present themselves.

To update, the fever finally broke this morning (day 5) and he is now covered in a rash (tiny red bumps...I'm thinking Rosealla (sp?)
Anyway, he's feeling much better and I am so grateful that it *seems* to have been something other than teething... I don't know if either of us could go through that every time another tooth popped through :

How are the other "hot" babes doing today?
#13 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Maybe you are just lucky, or maybe I am unusual here, but when I have a high fever (and I would consider 103-104 high for and ADULT, nevermind a baby) I do feel "pain".

?
If the babe seems like they are in pain, I have no problems medicating a bit. (although I use Motrin just because it always worked better for pain for me). Keep in mind though that babies naturally run higher fevers than adults so really 103-104 is very high for an adult, and a bit more normal for a baby. I would assume its easier for the body to get to a higher temp to burns things off when its smaller and has less mass. Imagine how much more energy it takes to heat up an adult body, probably making the pain, etc worse.

#14 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:

TIA
This is exactly what happened with my son and his teeth. Almost no teething signs on the bottom inscisors and those exact symptoms with the top ones. You'll be happy to know that his next three teeth had almost no symptoms but hose top ones and it made a wrold of differencethis one right now is making him a cranky, clingy mess (though he's ok this morning, maybe it's almost through).

s Just hang in there. It can't go on forever even though it feels like it sometimes!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#15 of 15 Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks Matey..
It's so hard being responsible for someone else's life and not knowing when to do something proactive or just sit and support/observe..
Having a LO has certainly taught me alot about myself as a person!

Is your son feeling any better yet?

Milkybean; I'm not quite sure why a febrile seizure would be such a huge thing for me- I have done hours and hours of research on them and my *logical* brain tells me that even if it DID happen (and I know the chances are slim) that there are generally no long-term effects etc etc but for some reason it's just something that I'm PARANOID about and I know in my heart of hearts that I would not be able to deal with seeing my son having convulsions in a calm and calculated manner. I would completely lose it and maybe *that's* the reason I'm so afraid of it happening?
So, yes, I suppose in a way it's more MY issue than his- but nonetheless, I will do everything in my power to avoid ever having to be in that situation.It will always be a big deal to me.

My skin becomes sensitive to the touch, my bones get an "achey" feeling, I can't get comfortable, bright lights and loud noises become overwhelming, my head hurts, there's just an all-over general feeling of discomfort with a fever and I would medicate MYSELF if I felt like that...so why would I let my LO go through the day(s) feeling that way if I could help him with a few mls of Tylenol every 5 hours?

It's not something that I do lightly, or at the drop of a hat, but when I can see he's miserable and uncomfortable, having difficulty falling asleep, especially if it's going on for day 4 of the fever, I medicate.

I DO understand your point about it masking the reason for the fever in the first place though, which was part of my frustration in my initial post....

I suppose we all just have to make the best decisions we can for our LO's as and when the opportunities present themselves.

To update, the fever finally broke this morning (day 5) and he is now covered in a rash (tiny red bumps...I'm thinking Rosealla (sp?)
Anyway, he's feeling much better and I am so grateful that it *seems* to have been something other than teething... I don't know if either of us could go through that every time another tooth popped through :

How are the other "hot" babes doing today?
ITA! When I have a fever I feel like crap! I feel achy all over, I'm chilled to the bone, etc. I finally gave DD Motrin for her fever/teething pain when she started displaying signs of discomfort. I HATED giving her medication just as I hate taking it myself, but who am I to make her tough it out? I certainly wouldn't want someone withholding medication from me when they didn't know exactly how I felt. Whether or not it was the actual teething that caused the fever or not, I'll never know. She's on the mend now, though ! No more fever and she's a bit more cheery than yesterday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page