Teething: Camilia or Hyland's? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With our other kids for teething, we just gave tylenol when they were inconsolable. With this one, we try to do things much more naturally. I was at our new health food store tonight and they sell Hyland's teething tablets and Camilia (liquid, I think). Is one preferred over the other? Are they both safe? I'm always a little nervous to give something unfamiliar, although the rational side of me realizes that Tylenol and Motrin aren't exactly "natural". What are your experiences and what would you recommend? My guy is getting three teeth now so I'd like to get something quickly. Thanks!
#2 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Both worked well for us.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 09:02 PM

I like them both. The Hylands tablets are good if my DD is sleepy and fussy. The camilia are good when my DD has digestive upset related to teething. Both do help to calm her. I chose based on DD's symptoms. GL with the little teething one!
#4 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
The camilia are good when my DD has digestive upset related to teething.
So for the teething poo's that cause a bleeding bottom, would the Camilia be better? It's totally related to teething and his little bottom can go from clear as can be to bleeding open sores after one teething poo.
#5 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
So for the teething poo's that cause a bleeding bottom, would the Camilia be better? It's totally related to teething and his little bottom can go from clear as can be to bleeding open sores after one teething poo.
That's what I would go with. Also, you can still keep some motrin or tylenol on hand for if it gets really bad. We use homeopathics during the day as needed and sometimes at night but for these molars that DD is currently working on motrin is the only thing that will touch the pain at night.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#6 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Uh, how fast are the Hyland's supposed to work? My friend brought some over because she has a bottle from when hers were little. I dissolved one under my tongue first to see what it would be like for him, then gave him two. I'm not joking, in less than a minute he went from crying and chewing on his fingers, to happily crawling around. Do they work that fast or was it a big old coincidence?
#7 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 PM

Camilia seems to work better for my LO, especially for the sore bottom. We also found that Jason's diaper cream really helps prevent bleeding.

I've seen Hylands work quickly - and then not at all. When nothing seems to help, we use tylenol, and are simply grateful that something will help him to sleep!
#8 of 12 Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM

i tossed out all my hylands after reading online about the dangers of giving it to your child because they dont monitor the amount of medication per tablet...google it and choose for yourself

Stacy: Mommy 2: S, N, F, and : edd 1/12/11 praying for : or maybe : if DH will come around!
#9 of 12 Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Uh, how fast are the Hyland's supposed to work? My friend brought some over because she has a bottle from when hers were little. I dissolved one under my tongue first to see what it would be like for him, then gave him two. I'm not joking, in less than a minute he went from crying and chewing on his fingers, to happily crawling around. Do they work that fast or was it a big old coincidence?
Immediately is the usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybabies924 View Post
i tossed out all my hylands after reading online about the dangers of giving it to your child because they dont monitor the amount of medication per tablet...google it and choose for yourself
With homeopathy, there is NO medication in each tablet. You can't find it when you go looking for it. That's the whole point of homeopathy. It might be useful to have an appointment with a homeopath to get the background of homeopathy, how it was discovered, how the remedies are made, and so on. I like the book Everyone's Guide to Homeopathy (or something like that).
#10 of 12 Old 09-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
With homeopathy, there is NO medication in each tablet. You can't find it when you go looking for it. That's the whole point of homeopathy. It might be useful to have an appointment with a homeopath to get the background of homeopathy, how it was discovered, how the remedies are made, and so on. I like the book Everyone's Guide to Homeopathy (or something like that).
But the company admits that there is belladonna in the tables and belladonna is used to make scopolamine and atropine. I've given belladonna to geriatrics with chronic back pain and scopolamine is used for motion sickness and has anticholinergic effects. Atropine is used for serious cardiac conditions. If the amount of belladonna included isn't regulated I'd be cautious about using it also. I actually considered using Hyland tablets when my son starts teething but when I saw the ingredients I decided I'd rather deal with screaming and try to manage his pain with medication with regulated doses.

And before anyone tells me that it's safe because it's natural and used for years. Well, foxglove is natural and is used to make digoxin a positive inotrope used to correct heart failure and atrial fibrillation. It can cause bradycardia and a whole landslide of problems with toxicity. I have to watch a heart monitor if I give the medication through an IV.
#11 of 12 Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post
But the company admits that there is belladonna in the tables and belladonna is used to make scopolamine and atropine. I've given belladonna to geriatrics with chronic back pain and scopolamine is used for motion sickness and has anticholinergic effects. Atropine is used for serious cardiac conditions. If the amount of belladonna included isn't regulated I'd be cautious about using it also. I actually considered using Hyland tablets when my son starts teething but when I saw the ingredients I decided I'd rather deal with screaming and try to manage his pain with medication with regulated doses.

And before anyone tells me that it's safe because it's natural and used for years. Well, foxglove is natural and is used to make digoxin a positive inotrope used to correct heart failure and atrial fibrillation. It can cause bradycardia and a whole landslide of problems with toxicity. I have to watch a heart monitor if I give the medication through an IV.
FWIW, homeopathy works using a "law of similars". Basically what this means is the ingredients used have been diluted so much there is nearly nothing left but a mere "memory" of the original ingredient. This 'memory' causes the body to react in a way similar to the way it would react to the original ingredient therefore cancelling out the undesired symptoms.....ie: the law of similars. I worked in the supplements department of a health food store and this is how we explained homeopathics to those curious about them. HTH
We use the hylands and they work so wonderfully I wouldn't consider using anything else.

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

#12 of 12 Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've tried both. Both have essentially the same ingredients except hylands are disolvable tables that are made in a lactose base. Camilla is liquid without the lactose base.

I actually preferred Hylands for two reasons:

1. DD got her first tooth at 3 months and she didn't like swallowing stuff and would spit it out. The tablets are white so I can see whether dd got it. The Camilla is a clear liquid (that looks a lot like teething drool) so I didn't know how much she got.

2. Hylands is less expensive at my health food store and there are more doses in a package than teh Camilla.

Honestly they haven't worked really well for us. DD is happy to chew through most of the teething and when she gets really fussy it isn't enough to help. Usually only something like Tylenol will help her in those moments.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page