10 mo. old won't sleep, won't stop crying! Please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 10 mos. and is a big time comfort nurser. She will only sleep if she's nursing. This was taking its toll on my back and my sleep quality, and I was starting to resent her, my DH, my life. Then when I feel this way, it makes me sad and frustrated with myself for feeling frustrated with such a helpless little being. DH works 2nds and doesn't get home from work until 3am. Two weeks ago we decided that on the weekends he would take over nighttime parenting and I would sleep in another room - we would adhere to this routine on the weekends when he's home, and from 3am until baby wakes during the week. This worked out great for the first week. Then DD had a fever and she'd been teething like mad. We've given her motrin/tylenol as needed, but not much. I spent a couple nights letting her nurse all night long again when she was feeling ill. Now that DH is back to being the nighttime parent, she is up every couple hours crying - screaming - unless he walks around with her. Before she would be okay to sleep on his chest or just snuggle in close to him. She sounds like she's in pain, but seems fine otherwise. I hate to give her pain meds just because she's cranky. Could this still be teething pain, is she just frustrated because she's not getting what she wants (all night boobies), or could something else be wrong? DH thinks it has to do with her lying down, since she's fine as long as he's standing up with her. However, since she will sleep for hours on end if she can nurse, I don't think that's the case. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! We're all exhausted here and are at a loss as to what to do.

TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Have you introduced any new foods into her diet (or your diet) that might be irritating her tummy? DD was always that way before we figured out her major allergens and took them out of my diet. The only way she would sleep more than 5 minutes was if she was upright- as soon as you laid her down, she would start screaming. Definitely sounds like a tummy ache situation.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

She's been trying lots of different things, so I think you may be right. She's a very picky eater, but seems to like things with more ingredients. Since I make everything from scratch myself, I've been letting her try *our* dinner. I'm afraid this has caused her tummy to hurt . I feel terrible for so foolishly letting her eat what she liked:. Should I give her the baby gas drops, or is there anything you can suggest to help ease her pain? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Honestly, I've never used those so I have no idea if they work... We have used some Boiron's colic drops, and I'm not sure they did anything at all.

I would probably just try not to give her anything that has dairy in it- that's the top offender for babies, followed by soy and egg. If it's a food that's bothering her, you should start seeing improvements within a few days of removing the food from her diet. Oh- maybe try to avoid gluten too (in her diet)- that's pretty hard for a little stomach to digest.

No need to feel guilty though... I'm sure she's enjoying all of the great foods!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mama! I'm going to go back to EBF for a few days and slowly start with the basic solids. Hopefully she'll eventually show interest in them. I hate to deny her foods she loves, but like my husband said, "Even people who are lactose intolerant love ice cream." I guess we have to be the bad guys .

Thanks!!!

User Tag List