Probiotics for 3 month old? Where to buy and how to administer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-21-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. My baby is very gassy and I thought I would try probiotics. I have no idea where to buy or how to adminster them. Can I buy online? Has anyone had success with them? Thanks in advance.
#2 of 9 Old 09-21-2008, 03:52 PM

I bought my 5 week old daughter Solaray brand BabyLife which has freeze-dried bifidobacteria infantis the dominate stomach bacteria in babies. I read the labels on the other 2 possibilities for babies which contained other benneficials but based on what I read somewhere recently the b. infantis was really BEST.

I'd given her donated breast milk from someone treating mastitis and her tummy hurting had really made her grumpy 24hrs a day. One treatment made a huge difference and only got better over the last week.

Comes with small scoop in the bottle which you add one scoop to a bottle of warmed formula, breast milk or juice 2 times a day as per directions.

What it looks like... http://www.suzannes.com/allnatenpow2.html

Found in refrigerator section at health food store.
#3 of 9 Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 PM

I used them to a great success with my baby.

I had read the studies done on colic and probiotics and searched out the one that they used. it can be bought here

I tried to use the powder form of the same probiotic (Lactobacillus reuteri) but it was very difficult to get her to take it- I had to mix it with a little bm in a little cup and measure and all- the drops are a bit pricer but so worth it for the convenience.

My DD was so colicy and cranky. We started the probiotics and I cut eggs, Dairy, and citrus out of my diet completely. Like night and day- she was a completely different child. So calm and happy, still a hold me girl though

I started adding in small amounts of dairy when she was 6 months, and eat small amounts still with no problems. No eggs or citrus for me yet though. Oh and She (at a year) can not eat even small amounts of these foods without problems.

HTH!!!

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#4 of 9 Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 AM

I got them at Whole Foods but my lo hated them. I tried putting a little on my nipple and she flipped, she's hasn't been that pissed since. I also mixed them in water and gave them by dropper which she would take but not happily. I'm not sure if the helped or not because around that time I discovered what she was having issues with, dairy, and cut it out of my diet. After that it was a lot better.
#5 of 9 Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Can't you mix them with breastmilk?
#6 of 9 Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM

I tried them for colic when dd was smaller and it worked wonders! I bought a bottle of the powdered stuff at the health food store. The dosage was 1/4 tsp. I mixed it with a tsp of breastmilk, put it in a syringe and squirt it in the back of her mouth.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#7 of 9 Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM

We use Udos. They are awesome. Must be kept in fridge though. I put some in a spoon, get some baby drool on my finger and let DS suck it off. He enjoys it and it works for us. I didn't want him to equate it with nursing so I deliberately kept it separate.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#8 of 9 Old 09-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Sorry if this is o/t-but what's the difference between infant and adult probiotics? Thanks!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#9 of 9 Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

From what I understand, there really isn't a difference... except for the fact that Bifidobacteria infantis is more common in infants, so it's the best to get. Am I right on that?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page