Baby teeth coming in crooked?( a bit long...sorry) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Rin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everyone!
My 5mo DS got his first tooth maybe a week ago and three days ago I noticed his second one coming in (I could feel the sharpness right under his gums). The first one looks great! No crookedness at all. Yesterday while grocery shopping he wanted to chew on my hand, no problem. As he started to bite down his newest tooth felt different from the first, I pulled his lip down to inspect, and it is completey sideways in his mouth. For example if this is tooth1 (--) this is tooth 2 (l) So side by side they look like this (--l).
Is this normal? My husband says not to worry about it because it won't always be that way, but I'm concerned that it will. Do I need to schedule an appointment with a dentist, or his pediatrician, or just not concern myself with it?

My husband had teeth pulled when he was younger because his "mouth was too small for the teeth", now he has a crooked tooth on the bottom because he didn't get all the teeth pulled that needed to come out.
Does DS have a too small mouth as well?

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM

i remember reading that they can come in crooked and it is fine they straighten out. i have also read that breast feeding helps make it so the mouth is shaped right for all the teeth to fit better. i'm sure someone else here knows more than me though

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM

I don't know for this first teeth, but my DD1 had one tooth that came out like that at 6 yo. In a matter of weeks the tooth was straight, without us doing anything special.

I would just wait a little bit, without stressing about it...
Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 PM

Here's my own teeth story.

When my baby teeth were growing in the front, upper two grew in facing each other. As the other teeth grew in the front two were pushed around and they ended up facing front.

The exact same thing happened with my adult teeth. My parents were so afraid that I'd need major orthodontics, but I've never needed anything. My teeth are beautifully straight. Dentists have been known not to believe me when I tell them that I never had braces.

Hopefully it will be the same for your little one!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 09-24-2008, 06:00 PM

I read somewhere that when baby's teethe, their teeth twist and turn their way through the gums. So, they don't just sprout straight up! My daughter's teeth were a little crooked when they came in, but they twisted into straightness. Maybe it's all that twisting and turning that makes teething so painful!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's really fine and not related to how the adult teeth will come in. They are floating there without the other teeth to anchor them into a firm spot. They'll straighten as he/she starts eating chewing food and as the other teeth come in.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
Rin

Thanks so much for your input everyone!
Today I saw that he has a third tooth that seems to have sprouted over night....right next to crooked number two, which even today is a lot straighter than it was yesterday. I just had visions of braces for my baby, and masses of orthodontic bills before he was 7! Silly me!

Birth Doula and Owner of an online natural baby boutique. Aspiring to be a Midwife.

Wife to Chef DH, Mom to DS (4/15/08), and DS (2/11/12) joy.gif

cd.gifintactlact.giffuzmalesling.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM

Yes, my teens' baby teeth were very different than their adult teeth. Mine was too. My teeth looked crooked until middle school or so and then they all straightened out beautifully. I've even been asked if I had braces in the past!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 PM

My son is 8-months old and already has eight teeth. The bottom ones are pretty straight, but when he bends his head back and opens his mouth, the top four look like they make an M shape with the two front ones facing each other. I have been completely paranoid about it, but my husband said not to worry, because they are not his permanent adult teeth. But he is not a dentist.

User Tag List