Teething or Illness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is 5 1/2 months old. She is cutting her first tooth - it is taking awhile to come all the way up. For the last week she has had an off and on (mostly on) runny, stuffy nose. It is very mucousy as opposed to clear and runny.

Is this typical of teething or more typical of a cold or some illness?

I give her Hylands teething tablets which help sometimes.

What else can I do? She gets so upset sometimes!

Thanks

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM

My ds is busting out the 5th tooth now. And we just got over a cold as well. I didn't realize that colds/mucus/etc and teething sometimes go hand in hand. Anyway, my friend emailed me and let me know about "Herbs for Kids." It helps with excess mucus and is a glycerin-based tincture (a combo of echinacea and eyebright). I haven't tried it yet, as the cold seems to be over. Rest assured, it will be in my cabinet by week's end for the next time!

Good luck!
#3 of 6 Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 AM

I don't recall my older 2 having stuffy noses when they teethed, but my DD3 just cut 2 teeth and 2 more are just about through and her nose has been runny for a week now. No other signs of a virus, so I'm starting to think it's associated with her teething....
#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 AM
ltk

ditto here...almost six months and she is up all night eating, stuffy/runny nose, low grade fever...it's hard to believe it's just teething! Apparently, we do need to keep a close eye on them b/c teething can make their bodies succeptable to other things....that's what I have read.
#5 of 6 Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM

my 6 month old is teething and he has a runny nose out of nowhere. It seems to go along with it most of the time.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2008, 04:00 PM

My guy gets lots of mucus when he is close to cutting teeth. I was convinced he had a cold because he was coughing and had a runny nose and then I remembered when he cut his first two teeth close together he had a terribly runny/congested nose. Always clear though. And this time it was when my hubby said he was drooly that I realized the coughing was him adjusting to being super drooly again when he was laying down. So for us clear mucus, low fever, increase in saliva, more coughs = tooth is serious about coming out this time. We use the Boiron liquid teething stuff. My poor little guy is working on 4 at once right now, eek!

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page