Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome back Gunter!!
#62 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Ye gads. River just choked on a sweet that one of his siblings had dropped. He's currently asleep on a pile of pukey mucus on my shoulder, but : That was scary.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#63 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 09:54 AM

my mdc client's water broke this morning! yay...i get to go to a birth soon.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#64 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Helen . Sounds awfully scary!! SO glad that he is ok!

Gunter: Good luck!

AislinC: Thanks for the tip on EC.

Rynna: I agree with Helen, I can't believe the luck (or lack there of) that you guys are having!

**Please keep my DH in your thoughts/prayers/positive energy/etc. today. The memorial service for his childhood friend Nathan Cox - the one who was killed by a car bomb in Afghanistan last week - is today. DH will be part of the service, and will be reading a letter that Nathan wrote to his 5-yr-old daughter, Sophia, in the service. I know he will do wonderfully, but he is really worried about loosing his composure during the reading, so any good thoughts his way would be appreciated!
#65 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Gunter! Welcome back! For some reason I thought about you a few days ago, but couldn't remember your screen name! Good to see you again and thanks for the update!

Amy, so glad you made it through the tornado. Sheesh. what luck, huh?

ECing, I don't know how you do it! The concept fascinates me, but in practice, I don't think I could manage. How do you get anything done? I told my mom about ECing (what little I know) and she responded something like I thin she was trying to imagine doing so for the 8 of us. heh.

Well, the lot of a kid in daycare is to get sick frequently, isn't it? But she's building her defenses this way, I keep telling myself. She's also got a jump ahead of the other kids as she's the only one who's primarily breastfed (though lately, she's getting more into the "what do you have momma and daddy, can I have some?" phase). Poor kid, there's a little boy in the infant room who seems to be always bringing in colds or whatnot. So, poor DD caught something from him and has been really mucusy (eyes, nose and throat, we've had to washcloth her eyes open the past few mornings), and last night she was trying to nurse in her sleep but then woke up due to breathing and nursing difficulties, then screamed because she couldn't open her eyes, then we tried to suck her nose and she doesn't much care for that. Then she gagged on some mucus in her throat and went :Puke. Boy, even that little bit is hard to get through, but I reckon breastmilk puke is more benign than if she were on all solids. But that new sensation really shook her up and she was just a cryin' mess for a while. It really makes me feel more for you mommas whose little ones have it really rough.

NOS, I love the concept of toy-free, I've seen your tribe over there. I think it takes a certain kind of mom to be able to do so. Helen, I'd try to encapsule what the ideas behind it are, but I think I'd do it no justice.

to all the mommas who need one. I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say, but I actually gotta get some real work done today, so I won't be on a whole lot.

Love to you all!

signature currently in transition
#66 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Sarah, bummer on missing the birth! Hopefully those babies will develop strong lungs and be ready to go home with their mamas soon.

Amy, those are some crazy pics on your blog! YIKES.

Gunter, welcome back! Wondered where on Earth you've been.

Dea, great job on ECing! I wish I could say we're still doing so well, but since Twyla started crawling, she wants nothing to do with the potty. At all. It was the same way with Marley, but I thought since I started pretty much from birth that it would be different this time. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

Helen, that sounds scary! I once had to give my sister the Heimlich maneuver because she was choking on a piece of candy. And I love that Skye pooped on her feet. It was a great visual.

Emily, I'll be thinking about your dh. So sad.

Poor Senara! I remember waking up with eyes glued shut when I was a kid, and that is really disconcerting!

We are getting close to the winter holidays, aren't we? Yikes. I usually make most of my gifts, but I don't know what to do this year. Maybe some sweet annie body cream? Something tells me the men on my list would be less than thrilled with that. I'm looking forward to the solstice, though. I'm planning our church's solstice gathering this year, and I'm a little nervous that it won't be as good as last year's.
#67 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 AM

Gunter How exciting! I am totally jealous! I love being part of a birth. I was with both of my sisters

lovetobemama Positive thoughts his way. I can't imagine how hard that would be. We also lost a childhood friend over there in a freak accident. A crane broke and the chain swang down and hit him very hard in the neck killing him. He also had a child about 5 years old. So sad

flapjack Yikes that sounded aweful!

AislinCarys EC'ing facinates me. We tried it on vacation I only caught her pee once. She didn't give any *signals* that I was picking up on.

Teenytoonasorry that your baby is sick! Hope she is feeling better soon!
#68 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:58 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new! Is there any room for us??
I need to read all your message but later... first of all i need to figure this web site out...
:
#69 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Welcome Teoman!!
#70 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks Jezzy !!
#71 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM

Ooh, so fun to catch up now that I have a chance (maybe not tomorrow, but for today, here goes...)

I'm glad to hear there are other super-light sleeping babes out there. I tiptoe around the house when DD finally goes down for a nap. And nighttime? Sleeping through the night? I'm convinced it's never going to happen!! She's up every 2/3 hours for a feed and some cuddles. Cute, but yikes. Sleep would be nice! THank GOODNESS i didn't go back to work.. i'd be a mess. How do you working mothers do it?? And those with more than one kiddo.. wow, not looking forward to that. The luxury of napping and marathon nursing sessions will be gone, yes?

Hm, what else.. just started solids at 7.5 months... she's not so keen! Avocado, apple, sweet potato, acorn squash, banana... nothing is thrilling her yet. That's okay, I'll be sad when she prefers food over my milk.

No crawling or standing.. loves sitting up though, and playing in the exersaucer, bouncing in the bouncy seat, kicking in the high chair.. but mostly, loves her BB potty!! She pees and/or poops in it everytime I put her on it (before/after every nap, and at each change). It's saving me some washing, and i love seeing the gleeful look on her face when she goes! I texted my hubby a photo of her first poop.. haha.

Pinching, scratching, all of that during nursing.. but thankfully no intentional biting, despite the 6 teeth. But she gnashes her teeth!! Ugh, what a sound.

No words but lots of blah bah gag ga ra da ma..

Anyway, must go get organized for a playdate. .. I'm gonna try to check in more often and see what y'all are up to. Like that? Y'all? I'm working on being folksy...
#72 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Y'all. *heh*

We're not terribly far from TMI, but we're not on top of it either. That said, I'm fairly convinced that this has more to do with the the individual children in question than anything else. To wit: Bellatrix LeBella was undercooked, despite being damn near term; I don't think she'd have breathing problems at all if she'd had another month or so on the inside. Bearykins is the only one of my children to receive anything aside from breastmilk in his first months, and not to be nursing steadily at this age; I think that if he was nursing, he'd have a stronger immune system. I'm not entirely convinced that he would never have started vomiting blood, but it doesn't strike me as an unreasonable question to ask. Perhaps BeanBean would also have had problems if he'd been on artificial milk-- after all, he nursed until just before he started school last year, and it was a clear case of compensation for an immature immune system with him. If Bella and Bear were nursing, they'd probably both have fewer problems right now. :

Then again, Bear may have a physical issue which is contributing to his digestive problems. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he had a mild case of pyloric stenosis contributing to his reflux (it would explain why his reflux has been *worse* since he started solids, instead of better), and if that's so there may be another minor bowel issue which not only contributes to his suceptibility to diarrhea, but to it's ridiculously long, miserable course each time. *sigh*

I'm cold. I'm trying not to think about it.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#73 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM

I was just reading quickly but I have to send some loving and composed vibes to your husband Emily. Heaven know I'd never be able to do something like that, I'm tearing up just thinking about it! Much love to everyone affected by the loss of Nathan.

Hi everyone else! I'm reading but have to leave for the weekend so I'll be back Sunday. I love you all!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#74 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
Flapjack, if you'd like to try EC, you could just keep him nappyfree for a while, maybe after a feed, and see when he goes (I know, much easier when they're smaller and non-mobile!). DD stopped signaling to me around 3 months, so we go by timing (she wees about every half hour, or less in the morning, and just after a feed or waking up). She waits to poo when at home and on the potty now. We catch most wees (and poos, of course) most days. Usually have between 1-3 "misses".

BTW, EC is the ONLY part of motherhood I've found easy so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
Hi Mamas!
Did I tell you I've started ECing with Trixie. I held off 'cause I wanted to get her formula situation sorted out, then it was one thing and another, so I just started. She's doing it! YAY! I had a toddler potty and it was okay, then I got the little bjorn potty and it's so much better, perhaps it positions her better? Anyhow she's my little peeing and pooping queen! My mother's group has a couple ECers in it and we laugh that we get so excited about poop in a potty....
NOS you'd be surprised at how many people are clueless about credit. And it's horribly unfair that credit granters totally prey on the clueless, well on everybody. I think the biggest thing that people don't realize is that banks and other credit granters are businesses, and they want your business, so make them earn it. Oh and the other thing is that credit isn't an extension of your income.
lovetobemama, thanks for the lesson! That was really fascinating! It makes sense that the talking muscles are the same as the eating muscles.
Gunter! I remember you! Welcome back!

All of the other Mamas, I swear I read everything you write... how do you do multi quotes?
Thank you for asking the multi quote question!

I am feeling so inspired to keep going with EC. We are good with the morning pees (into the bathtub). I caught the end of a poop. It's the positioning that is messing us up- I know he's not comfortable and I am not comfortable. I want a Baby Bjorn potty so bad- I really have no idea where to find one around here. Money is tight with us so I don't want to buy a potty and then find out he isn't comfortable on it... The baby boutique down the road has a toddler potty- the only one in the store. I keep thinking of the money we will save on sposies : I don't want to use them but we don't have our own washing machine or a vehicle so I wear Jahmari in a wrap and then throw the clothes over my shoulder (like santa claus) and walk to the laundromat- I can't imagine doing it more than once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter View Post
my mdc client's water broke this morning! yay...i get to go to a birth soon.
Yay! Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
**Please keep my DH in your thoughts/prayers/positive energy/etc. today. The memorial service for his childhood friend Nathan Cox - the one who was killed by a car bomb in Afghanistan last week - is today. DH will be part of the service, and will be reading a letter that Nathan wrote to his 5-yr-old daughter, Sophia, in the service. I know he will do wonderfully, but he is really worried about loosing his composure during the reading, so any good thoughts his way would be appreciated!
Your DH is definitely in my thoughts and I don't know how he will be able to keep his composure but I sure hope he is able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new! Is there any room for us??
I need to read all your message but later... first of all i need to figure this web site out...
:

DH went to his island today to a contractor meeting. If they tell him he can't have a govt contract while working for the govt he is going to turn in his resignation as the job seems to be going no where and we are ready to be back on his island anyway. The best possible outcome I can imagine is that they transfer him to his island thus keeping the govt job AND he gets the roadwork contract. : His island has one paved road and it runs on the north side of the island now they are slowly paving a road along the south side of the island.
#75 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
I am feeling so inspired to keep going with EC. We are good with the morning pees (into the bathtub). I caught the end of a poop. It's the positioning that is messing us up- I know he's not comfortable and I am not comfortable. I want a Baby Bjorn potty so bad- I really have no idea where to find one around here. Money is tight with us so I don't want to buy a potty and then find out he isn't comfortable on it... The baby boutique down the road has a toddler potty- the only one in the store. I keep thinking of the money we will save on sposies : I don't want to use them but we don't have our own washing machine or a vehicle so I wear Jahmari in a wrap and then throw the clothes over my shoulder (like santa claus) and walk to the laundromat- I can't imagine doing it more than once a week.
The BB potty is great! We have the one with the removable pot, and the back, so it's like a little chair.. and absolutely worth the money. I really think it helps them get into the EC thing.. plus.. your arms don't get tired trying to hold them over the toilet/sink and you can wait longer for "the big one"
It takes DD about 5 minutes for that to happen.. but when it does, she's thrilled! She pees right away every time now because she knows what she's there for.
#76 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM

I bought two BBLP at Toys R Us when Bean was a little fellow; One for the minivan and one for the house. They were $10 each, and one of the best investments I've made, parenting-wise. I wish they weren't white, but you do what you must.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#77 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 04:02 PM

I might try that. This potty-training malarky is kicking my backside And yes, it is training, not learning. She's not particularly enthusiastic about the idea of pooing in a potty, she just wants to wear monkeys on her crotch.

Today got worse My big boys ran into some trouble whilst they were playing over on the field that's literally within sight of the house. Some of the neighbourhood kids (we don't know which ones) were being quite aggressive with them, hitting and kicking them and took Alex's bike off him. Did I mention that Alex learnt to ride his bike solo? I forget. ANYHOW, I'm mad. Absolutely beside myself with grief that someone would do this to my babies. Oh, and apparently there's a dead cat over on the other side of the main road held down with bricks with an eye out : I can't think right now, but I think there's some big decisions for me to make.

Emily, Christa, I'm holding your families in my thoughts today Rynna, have a few more healing vibes.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#78 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 PM

Happy Navratri Feb 08!

NOS - A million 's to you! I hope some day we meet, babe's and mamas. I'm only a few hours drive from Arcata. Last month DP and I took a daytrip to Brookings and I thought about you and Terran as we drove through Crescent City and turned N to go back into OR. It'll happen soon. I've addicted DP to the Redwoods and I imagine I could easily convince him to take a camping trip down there in the next year or so...... Thank you for the great personal, it really made my heart melt.

Welcome back Gunter! I remember you also. It's good to hear from you. Good luck on the birth!

Emily, I'll be thinking of your DH and the rest of you during this difficult time.

Helen, I'm still chuckling some over the camera thing. So has your DH been able to retrieve your camera? And yeah for poop visuals! You mama's with older children give me nice little insights here and there of possibilities with DD. And while some make you laugh and some make you cry, it just looks like such an amazing journey. I hope that I can remain present after the newness of being a mom wears off and enjoy every moment as I have so far.

Rynna, I'm not sure how close you are to 3MI, but I'm sure you've already assessed the risk according to your location. You know, it sucks cuz anymore, we all live in varying levels of pollution. But before I moved across country 18 months ago, I checked all the potential locations against SuperFund databases and similar others to find out what might be in my water. But, really, anymore if you live in an industrialized nation, you're being exposed to something. On a lighter note... In this park we have Lithia water pumped into town. It's a local time killer to sit in the square downtown and watch all the tourists try the water flowing from a central drinking fountain. It's lithia water and most people aren't expecting the slight fizziness and salty taste. Some spit, some swallow. I hope that things get better soon for you and your LO's.

Rasji, Dea, GreenRose, AC, and the other EC mamas, I EC too! I'm having really good success with DD. She loves to potty in the toilet. We've been using sposies too (7G) cuz we don't have our own W/D either. But twice yesterday I clued into DD's pee Q. (She grunts like she has to poop ) I'm excited even more cuz she doesn't like being wet! Not that I blame her, but I am so glad cuz that will make this alot easier for us to learn I think. I hope. I haven't figured out how to catch her poo's though when she's eating. The other day, she finished eating, so I took her to the potty to finish her other bizness. But, I really think I am going to go spend the money for a little potty. I'm glad they are cheap. DP's onboard with anything cheap!

Welcome teoman!

Raina, I'm sure you'll do a great job on the solstice party for your church. I'm going to start that tradition now I guess. I want to do it for DD. DP and I have an eclectic holiday schedule. Like right now, we are 'celebrating' the Nine Days of Mother Divine (hindu). And we are just coming off a month long fast during Ramadan, but not of it. But we felt the urge to make some lifestyle changes, and decided to do it then. It's easier to do things when nature supports it, iykwim. We dropped meat, alcohol, and a few other things for the month except for one day a week we could break fast. Now we are thinking of raising DD more lacto-ovo veg. I was one for several years up until less than a year before I became pregnant.

Well, I'm tired of typing and DD's going to wake from her nap soon. Oh wait, congrats on the weightloss, was it sarah? Anyway, much to all who read this.

And on a quick personal note, I've finally found a home for my scoby, it was gently transferred last night to a freshly brewed home of green and black organic tea's and in about 2 weeks will be ready for the next step. I'm getting closer to having my own little kombucha production!
#79 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM

So I just fed Steven some mashed Avocado and he ate it with gusto!! Now to see how his tummy handles it.

Is there anything you can do with an avocado pit?? It just fascinates me and I was curious lol

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#80 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post
So I just fed Steven some mashed Avocado and he ate it with gusto!! Now to see how his tummy handles it.

Is there anything you can do with an avocado pit?? It just fascinates me and I was curious lol
you can grow an avocado plant! this is the method my Mom uses...

http://containergardening.wordpress....ed-c-de-maire/

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
I might try that. This potty-training malarky is kicking my backside And yes, it is training, not learning. She's not particularly enthusiastic about the idea of pooing in a potty, she just wants to wear monkeys on her crotch.

Today got worse My big boys ran into some trouble whilst they were playing over on the field that's literally within sight of the house. Some of the neighbourhood kids (we don't know which ones) were being quite aggressive with them, hitting and kicking them and took Alex's bike off him. Did I mention that Alex learnt to ride his bike solo? I forget. ANYHOW, I'm mad. Absolutely beside myself with grief that someone would do this to my babies. Oh, and apparently there's a dead cat over on the other side of the main road held down with bricks with an eye out : I can't think right now, but I think there's some big decisions for me to make.

Emily, Christa, I'm holding your families in my thoughts today Rynna, have a few more healing vibes.
Your babies! What is wrong with these kids- that is so terrible and the cat- well that is just making me too sad to think about.

Thank you for holding our intentions in your thoughts and thank you for anyone else who did so BECAUSE...
:

My best possible vision of what could happen today- happened. We are set to move the end of the month- My husband got his transfer and a contract for roadwork. I feel so grateful and so blessed.
#81 of 445 Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 PM

I don't know if I got lucky tonight or if avocado is a miracle food, but Steven nursed before bed and I put him in bed awake and he went right to sleep!! I didn't have to nurse him to sleep and he didn't fuss a bit!! I can hardly believe it.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#82 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 04:42 AM

Oh Helen, that is aweful!
#83 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 04:43 AM

Yay Christa!

I'm off with the camera on my phone to see if the cat is still out there and if it is then I'm going to the local papers Some things are just wrong. Nearly twenty years ago my FIL's springer spaniel got out and ended up hog tied and thrown in the bushes down there, and it looks like nothing has changed

We x-posted, Jezzy- morning and thankyou. And Mommy2Austin, River slept through the night again- was up once, at midnight, and just snuggled down with us for the rest of the night.

#84 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Avocado is off the table too...I was so hopeful. He woke up at 3 am for a party. I got no sleep last night. Then he had an explosive diaper that left his hindend sore and what appeared to be a little burned. So he can't handle that either.....Back to the booby board

#85 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Are you sure it's not something in your diet, even now? It could be worth trying I'm sorry

#86 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Are you sure it's not something in your diet, even now? It could be worth trying I'm sorry
He's fine when I don't give him any solids. As soon as I try any solids he either gets constipated or has an acidic poo that leaves him sore. Plus he was starting to get back into a good sleep pattern and last night he pulled a 2hr. playtime at 3am.

So maybe in a month I'll try again!

#87 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Drat. I thought it was worth mentioning, you know, in case you ate 2 litres of sour cream last night and didn't realise that that could be doing it

#88 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Sending lots of positive vibes to mamas with sick babies or who are just sleep deprived!

About EC, we use the Potty Bowl, witch is great (and not expensive!!!), because I can comfortably keep DD in my lap, or on my arm (walking around, doing laundry etc!), or just on the ground, supported against me. At home we have cuddles and read books, and when we're out she just sits in my lap (very discrete, people don't usually notice she's on the potty!). She usually wees right away or within a minute or so anyway. She has been sitting on this potty bowl regularly since she was 2 months old.

I guess this is one reason why I find EC easy - I keep the potty nearby, and just grab it, and put DD and potty in my lap, then off again soon after!

As far as I can understand, from the EC babies we know, most babies don't signal at this age, they are too busy! So timing is really useful. That said, when you get used to it, sometimes you "just know" that she probably needs to go.
#89 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 PM

RasJi7 Congrats! Glad to know something went your way!

Helen Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. That poor cat. No animal should ever be treated that way. Makes me sick.

Went shopping today and scored a cork yoga block and strap on clearence for 5.00 at Target. Also bought an incredibly yummy smelling soy candle amoungst other things. Still the yoga block totally made my day. Will make prenatal yoga a little easier.

What is everyone's little one weaing for Halloween if you are into that type of thing? I don't know if I'm going to dress Eli up or not. If I do it's only going to be for my parents since Kendall is at her dad's that weekend, so I won't be trick or treating with her.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#90 of 445 Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 PM

Helen , sounds unbelievably awful! I hope that somehow justice can be served.

RasJ: Congrats!! So glad to hear that it worked out well!!

I also wanted to send a big thanks to everyone for the thoughts for Nathan Cox and his family and for DH at the memorial service. The service was beautiful, and DH did a wonderful job reading the letter from Nathan to his daughter. Thanks for your wishes/prayers/thoughts!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page