February 08 Babies October means 8 (months that is) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinda cool that we hit the Oct with (roughly) the 8 month mark!

Here is our September thread.

Welcome to October!!:

signature currently in transition
#2 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Hello everyone! I am terrible about keeping up with these long threads, but I do like the check in and see how everyone else is doing.

We are crawling, doing some signs, pulling up to standing (eek!) but STILL waking every 2-3 hours at night. Is this something other people are dealing with at 7.5 months? Ephraim is finally napping for an hour or two at a time out of my arms, which is awesome! and he starts the night in his own bed, but wakes after an hour or two, I get him back to sleep there, another hour or two later he wakes and I bring him into our bed. He is getting BIG and I am getting a little overwhelmed in our bed. He seems to have no problem sleeping on his own, he wakes frequently no matter what....he just loves cuddling (read:rolling on, kicking/punching) Mama all night long.

Still no teeth, but lots of teething. I know he's reaching so many milestones, but still, I need some sleep!! I'm afraid this post isn't completely coherent because I'm not.

I look forward to hearing about everyone else's adventures!
Rachel
#3 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Rynna, if the doctor prescribed a spacer it has to be the kind with the mask on it.
Nope. It's not that at all, it's the InspireEase. See, apparently this woman doesn't realize that little children breathe through their noses. :

Quote:
I will go on at length about this, but there is absolutely no scientific basis whatsoever to recommend nebulisers for the routine management of asthma.
True... but she's *two*. The medication has to get into the baby, or else it doesn't work at all. Bella has no idea how to "breathe through her mouth" if it's closed. She understands "blow out the candle," but she inhales through her nose. I tried manually collapsing and expanding the chamber, but it's obvious to me that the medicine didn't get into the baby at all (that, or her asthma is much more severe than I thought).

Quote:
Four nebulised doses of albuterol are enough to get the typical kid bouncing off the ceiling with hyperactivity, because you're getting 10 times the amount of medication.
This is absolutely true, but it's an argument against the premixed ampules albuterol for children more than anything else. When BooBah was little, she was prescribed those and I threw a fit because she was half the size and they told me, "Just pour about half of it in there." : After throwing the fit, they gave me a bottle of liquid albuterol with a dropper top and a big bottle of bronchial saline so I could mix it myself. Yes, it was two steps instead of one and yes, I had to (gasp!) *look* at what I was mixing, but I know the kid wasn't being overly medicated. I'd much rather do that than listen to Bella bark all night and know that she's doing cumulative damage to her little growing lungs (to say nothing of what happens to the rest of her little body when she's short on oxygen as she sleeps).

*sigh* I've got issues with asthma, having been asthmatic for the past 20 years.

Quote:
That's, you know, quite drastic, and there's no evidence to suggest that it's actually more effective than the lower doses of albuterol administered via a spacer and inhaler. Your doctor (what is a PA, anyhow?) is seriously looking out for your kids interests on this one, so work with her, huh?
A PA is a physician's assistant; Something between a nurse with obscene qualifications and a doctor, as I recall. If Bella was a little bit older, I'd be all in favor... but she doesn't get it, and she's too young for me to explain it while she's sick. I'm giving it a week and absolutely *no more*.

She also prescribed claritin for Bella, as asthma is "always" allergic in origin. She's um... how do I put this? WRONG. I told her that *my* asthma is triggered not only by allergies but by temperature and humidity changes, and that I'm pretty flipping sure that's what's going on with Bella, but no... she read a study somewhere and she knows everything now. : True: All asthmatics are allergic. False: All asthmatic attacks are allergy-induced. : I can read studies too, only I don't take random things and apply them where they don't belong! : Gah!

Quote:
(for what it's worth, I love the old aeromatic ones, the ones that look like an outward-shaping hourglass, but Isaac's new aerochamber is cool too.You NEED to get the nurse to show the kid how to use it though)
I like the things too, truth be told; I just don't think they're appropriate for this particular child, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect her to learn immediately when she's sick in the first place.

Raina... You've helped *plenty*. s At least I can get some freaking sposies now. We're on diaper #6 since about 10 last night.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#4 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceDoula View Post
STILL waking every 2-3 hours at night. Is this something other people are dealing with at 7.5 months?
Well, when he's not waking to poop () Bear sleeps very nicely through the night. Three of my four have, but the one who didn't was probably 18 months old before she managed it. I *know* that she was still waking every two or three hours while I was pregnant with Bear; Nowadays Bella wakes once or twice a night (except when she's sick... like now ).

#5 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hello everyone! I am terrible about keeping up with these long threads, but I do like the check in and see how everyone else is doing.

We are crawling, doing some signs, pulling up to standing (eek!) but STILL waking every 2-3 hours at night. Is this something other people are dealing with at 7.5 months? Ephraim is finally napping for an hour or two at a time out of my arms, which is awesome! and he starts the night in his own bed, but wakes after an hour or two, I get him back to sleep there, another hour or two later he wakes and I bring him into our bed. He is getting BIG and I am getting a little overwhelmed in our bed. He seems to have no problem sleeping on his own, he wakes frequently no matter what....he just loves cuddling (read:rolling on, kicking/punching) Mama all night long.

Still no teeth, but lots of teething. I know he's reaching so many milestones, but still, I need some sleep!! I'm afraid this post isn't completely coherent because I'm not.

I look forward to hearing about everyone else's adventures!
Rachel
I love the start of the month, it's the baby progress update. :

DD is only just 7 months, but she still nurses alot at night. It's not exactly a wake-up, but sometimes it is. She pretty much reverse cycles as I WOHM. It always wakes me up. I'm used to it by now, but it would be nice to have a straight night of sleep. I'm feeling your pain on baby taking up more space. The way DD latches on she sort of pushes into me, so I scootch back which makes Mr Toona crowded. Sheesh. That's one of the reasons I fully wake when she latches on, to wake up, pick her up and then move her back. heh. I'm not sure where the hope is on sleeping longer stretches.

DD is not fully crawling, she's doing the "Burning Anakin" (not exactly army crawl, because she's always got one arm extended reaching for something). She's got her two bottom teeth in and seems like she's working on the upper two. She's sucking on her lip/upper tongue alot.

She's getting chunky! She's not HUGE, but I think we've broken 18lbs and she just looks a little squishier through the middle. Mr Toona upped the size on her HHOS today thinking the medium was too small, but I protest in principle, aren't medium supposed to fit bigger kids than 18 pounds? I think she's just short and squat, though. She's 26 inches long, so maybe that's the difference. Shorter and thicker, like her momma. How long/heavy are the Feb babies these days?

She's now eating about 1-2 ounces in some food a day, started during the Bottle Strike, and just figured we might as well. She gets little tastes of our dinner many nights.

She really seems to like her crib now, when we put her in it to step out of the room. She can stand if we put her in position, but hasn't exactly pulled to standing yet.

Rynna, I'm sending healing thoughts off to you. wish I had something a bit more practical to send.

signature currently in transition
#6 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Some kids can wear a medium at 18 pounds, some need a large at 15; it really depends on build. My kids tend to be quite long and skinny, so BeanBean trained out of mediums at about 22 pounds and 28 months. Bella weighs 28 pounds and has only recently moved into a large (she's got a little bit of booty, by which I mean she's a skinny little thing with a ghetto onion behind her ). Bear weighs damn near 20 pounds when he's not actively deflating, and is quite comfortable in a medium... but he's also 30" tall. He's got a long skinny body and long skinny arms & legs. My niece, princess ChunkittyButt, would have needed a large at about 15 pounds because she's all hips and booty and thighs. She's slimmed out a bit now that she's walking, but she's still got the big hips and booty and thighs.

Hm, the general baby update. Bear has two toofers-- the bottom right central incisor and the top left central incisor. Seriously, they're coming in crooked. Both of the other central incisors are close, but neither has broken through. If he was baby #1, I probably would have posted to four different places asking if it was normal, but he's #4 so I didn't even think to mention it online. He's not walking yet, but he has been standing for longer periods and taking occasional random steps (he still falls down every time he does this). He's also been insisting that someone hold his hands and walk with him fairly often. Adorable! It's a good thing the process is so cute, because it's also quite horrifying.

We've got lots of words, more in public now; Again, Bear is quite lucky to be the fourth baby. People who meet BeanBean have no trouble with the idea of his baby brother saying understandable words at 8 months. He's also waving byebye on occasion, which is *darling*. Oh, and he's very consistant in holding his bottle by himself (he used to drop it a lot). I don't know if that's normal or not, because I've never had a baby this young take a bottle before. I know that you're not supposed to prop bottles, but I'm kind of assuming that it's okay to give the bottle to the baby if they're going to hold it on their own anyway... right?

#7 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone!

STILL waking every 2-3 hours at night. Is this something other people are dealing with at 7.5 months? and he starts the night in his own bed, but wakes after an hour or two, I get him back to sleep there, another hour or two later he wakes and I bring him into our bed. He seems to have no problem sleeping on his own, he wakes frequently no matter what....he just loves cuddling (read:rolling on, kicking/punching) Mama all night long.
I could have written everything you said about your sleep situation
It only seems to be getting worse, not better. DD is sick right now, so it is even worse than usual... hang in there, we can get through it!

Oh, and Echo is not even remotely interested in crawling but she can pull herself up on some things and can stand for a few minutes on her own while holding on to things. My grandmother says that babies who skip crawling and go straight to walking have a hard time learning how to read. Has anyone else heard this? Is it just an old wive's tale??

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13
#8 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 01:00 PM

Ok I'll update too

Steven still has his 8 teeth. Four on top and Four on the bottom. They are perfect just like his daddy's (thank God!! Austin sadly has my teeth ) He crawls like a pro now, can sit up on his own for a good amount of time, and has also started pulling himself up on everything (which I'm soooo not ready for. Austin was 10 or 11 mo before he did this stuff.) He can say Dadadada but doesn't really put it towards anything or anyone. When he gets upset he says Mamamama until someone picks him up which is pretty sweet (again not towards anyone) I think he's said ninnie a couple times (our boobie code word lol) and I've been trying to ask him when he's hungry "Do you want ninnie?" and pat my breast to help him put the word with the object. He too gets into everything! I have to pick every speck of stuff off my floor or he's got it in his mouth (which is hard with a 2 yo mobile snacker lol.) A few days ago he had an entire half of a peanut butter sandwich in his mouth We tried him on solids and he got stopped up pretty bad so we've decided to hold off for the time being and try again soon. He's just so darn interested in eating it breaks my heart to keep it away from him. I did buy an avocado (can you believe I've never eaten one and have no clue what to do with it) and plan to try some of that for him.

I'm 4 lbs from the 100s I can hardly wait to get there. I haven't seen below 200 in 4 years.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#9 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 01:50 PM

Rynna, I'm so with you on not knowing what the date is. I guess that's what happens when you're a homeschooling SAHM!

So I posted on the Sept. thread, but we are still dealing with lice. I guess all I can do is keep washing beading, checking heads, etc. At least I got some homeschooling done today. We've really gotten sidetracked with this bug problem.

Teeny, I almost choked on my lunch when I read your "burning Anakin" comment! My 6 year old is a Star Wars FREAK, and I unfortunately end up having lengthy discussions on Anakin and the rest of the bunch on a fairly regular basis.

Rachel, yep. And then some. Twyla probably nursed 6 times last night after I went to bed. And woke up 4 times before I even got to bed. So I feel ya. FOR REAL.

Echoecho, I don't know about the statistics, but I think crawling is pretty important in some respects. Movements that cross midlines on the body are very important in neurological development and mylenization of brain pathways that help with different types of learning. If a baby skips crawling, it isn't the end of the world, though. You can always introduce games and whatnot that use midline crossing a bit later. Just my 2 cents.

Sarah Lynne, great job! I'm glad you're feeling so good about your weight loss.
#10 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Congrats Sarah!!!! How exciting on the weight loss front!!!

Rynna, I would think it's fine to let him hold the bottle, as long as you don't depend on him having it that way...kwim? That way he still get all the snuggles the older ones got.

I just weighted Lucy and it would seem she suddenly hit 18lbs LOL! I think she's about 27in. She's army crawling mostly, but starting to like regular crawling too. She started pulling up last week, and is loving that. Sadly, she thinks she can just go now. Like, she pulled up, tried to hang on with one hand and turn to me and was *shocked* when she fell down. She stand at her little sitting toy thing she has, leaning on it. She has LOTS of bumps on her forehead from all this trying to stand stuff. We have all floors and they are cement underneath not wood so there's not much give, poor baby.

With the onset of her food allergies, I decided to make my own teething biscuits, kind of winging it from recipes I saw online. I did find some acceptable organic commercial ones, but since I can't find them here, they are about $2 for the biscuits but $5-10 for shipping...so...ah...no thanks. They came out really good though! I ground oatmeal, a little flax, and brown rice into flour for them. Basically, 1.5 cups of that, 1tsp baking powder, a tsp or so of vanilla extract, some maple syrup to sweeten it (but waaaay less than the 1/2 cup some recipes called for, yikes! Oats and rice are fairly sweet on their own.), and water til it seemed the right consistency. Took some in my hands, made it into biscuit shape, put in oven at 350 til they started to brown, and voila! Homemade teething biscuits with nothing allergenic in them. I was quite proud of myself LOL.

Lucy's sleep sucks. It was good for a while, then we moved here and it got worse (still not sure if that's food related, I'm trying to avoid her allergens), then she got 2 teeth, better for a few days, now she's waking crying again. I wish I knew what was wrong.

I have pics and stuff in blog.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#11 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM

applecore, I'm so sorry you're still dealing with lice. It sucks, I know. Dd got it from her cousin a few years ago...when she had waist-length hair. The first come-through took almost 7 hours. You WILL destroy it, I promise. *hugs*

Hugs to the mamas with sleep issues. I'm truly sorry that you're so sleep deprived. Are you all taking care of yourselves at least through good nutrition? I know I have a tendancy to eat really crappy when I'm fatigued.

All these mobile babies fascinate me! I'm not sure I'm truly envious though...I don't want to deal with another kid getting into stuff just yet. As I sit here typing my 2-year-old ds2 is trying to stick a pen into the computer hard drive. Oh, and he's naked.

Let's see...as far as the Peter update goes, he won't be 8 months for another 3 weeks. He's starting to sit up for a few seconds at a time, and LOVES to stand in my lap. He's also starting to become a bit more vocal and has definately developed a pissed-off cry. No interest in solids still. I've been trying to break him of his intense need to be swaddled for all naps and at night, but it's not going well. The "leave one arm out, then progress from there" strategy is NOT acceptable to Peter. I don't mind swaddling him, but the problem is that he pulls out of it in the night when he wakes, then throws a fit when I reswaddle him because he wants the boob right away. But...if I give him one side then swaddle in between, he's wide awake and won't go back to sleep. Silly man.

Things have been soooo busy here. Seems like almost every night my ds1 has band practice and my dd has basketball at 2 different schools at the same time. I had my orthodontic evaluation the other week and he's pretty sure I'll need jaw surgery. : I'll find out more at the end of the month. We also found out that my dd's braces will need to go on in 6-8 months. I'm not sure we can swing 3 of us in braces all at once (my ds1 has them currently) - I might need to wait till the year after next for mine.

I am one gift away from having all my Christmas gifts bought for the two littles. I'm somewhat because it's so early but also . I'm hoping it will help Christmas be a lot less stressful this year. 2 kids down, 2 to go!

A happy woman
#12 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Oops, forgot to sub.

Oh, and Carrie, I got your postcard, and it totally made my day! : Thank you so much!
#13 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

I'm 4 lbs from the 100s I can hardly wait to get there. I haven't seen below 200 in 4 years.
That is so fantastic! go, you!

i need to update later or come back and edit. i have a temporarily unemployed adult dd this morning, a sleeping public-school-cutting teen on my couch, and a pre-toddler nursing himself down for his pre-work nap and am loving every minute of it.

eta: omfg! my 16 year old just said, "Love you, sister." as my 19 year old walked out the door laden with art supplies on the way to catch the bes to her drawing class.

i really do need to do a "nontraditional family structure" update soon, since the sibling interaction among all three is totally blossoming. Terran is much more "one of the kids" now and less "Mom's baby".
#14 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM

subbing...

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#15 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Damn Julie. I just read your blog and I'm sitting here crying and worrying Grace....thanks....no really.....THANKS

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#16 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Damn Julie. I just read your blog and I'm sitting here crying and worrying Grace....thanks....no really.....THANKS
:

That is so frickin' inspiring and so what i needed to read right now. Thank you.

:

Things are looking up as far as getting more ihss hours AND taking the baby with me, so i'll try to remain hopeful and enjoy the family time while it lasts instead of giving in to my agoraphobia.

I just noticed that my effing credit card has a $10,000 limit.

what the eff are they thinking? i'm a single woman with three kids and a minimum wage job! How could i ever pay off ten grand?

debt = slavery and thank the goddess all we really have right now is dd's. our 19 year old car is paid for and no house of our own just means no mortgage! Enough feeling sorry for myself and apologies for my self-pitying yahoo post yesterday.
#17 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoecho1528 View Post
Oh, and Echo is not even remotely interested in crawling but she can pull herself up on some things and can stand for a few minutes on her own while holding on to things. My grandmother says that babies who skip crawling and go straight to walking have a hard time learning how to read. Has anyone else heard this? Is it just an old wive's tale??
The concern is with children who CAN'T crawl, or never learn to, a coordination thing, meaning right leg used with left arm etc. Don't worry, most active children do crawl (it makes it so much easier to get through that play tunnel!).

DD is 7 months old. She is still little (about 5 1/2 kg 4 weeks ago). She pulls up to standing,and can walk along the back of the sofa, or holding our hands - but has no balance whatsoever. She's still combat crawling. Started waving yesterday. Is still a lousy sleeper(5 hours last night, and has had her one daytime sleep today, 1 hour). She feeds once an hour (if a long feed, 20-30 min) or once every 30 min (if a 5-10 min feed). We are almost off supplementing with donated breastmilk though, and she is trying solids, preferring whole apple so far! She is very loud, and quite talkative, and wants all attention all the time from everyone. I suspect she is teething, as she's been a bit more sensitive lately (and upped her feeds from 10ish to 16+ a week or 2 ago).

I find I'm coping a bit better with motherhood, recently we managed to get to a Potty Party morning tea 2 train rides away (I don't drive), I've made dinner once, done the dishes a couple of times and baked a cake. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I think I'm getting back, slowly. (I had a rotten pregnancy, difficult birth and really hard breastfeeding experience. + I have a baby who wouldn't let me put her down, but hated slings...)
#18 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 PM

Will read/respond later..... but

Where did you buy a nursing necklace? Any suggestions? Afraid to make one, afraid it won't be strong enough and will break..

More later... H had something interesting in his poop yesterday.. something from big brother's craft box!!!!!!!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#19 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
STILL waking every 2-3 hours at night. Is this something other people are dealing with at 7.5 months?
Rachel, we are doing the same thing here at 8mo, except sometimes he wakes up every hour.... I thought it was getting better but it's totally getting worse! Oh well if that's all I've got to complain about...

Jackson is into everything too. Right now he's pulling my books off the bookshelf and shaking them around and trying to eat them His own toys aren't good enough anymore, oh no!

He had some banana last night and I think he pretty much ate all of it that time, it's cool but I'm sad too you know? I want to do some sweet potato next but I can't find any organic ones right now. I wanted to do avocado too but dh gave him a tiny bit two saturdays ago which may or may not have caused some hives (I was unable to figure out what caused them) so that's a no go. I am giving some solids about every other day at dinner, how often is everyone else doing them?

applecore, sorry to hear about your lice, I remember when I was kid having them, then going to get my hair cut - they found some leftover (dead - we did the medicated shampoo) eggs so wouldn't cut it.

in other news, not sure if any of you are into them, but Phish is getting back together!! : : I am stoked!! can't wait!!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#20 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Dea

Holy Moly Mamas! It's October? I'm getting old, my baby's growing up! AHHHH!
Okay...
moving on!
I love all of the baby updates!

And the banker in me just has to say something.... NOS call your credit card company and tell them to reduce it to what you feel it should be and tell them to not raise it.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#21 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Hi!

SO good to hear about everyone's babes. Its been a few months since I had time to post anything. Life is crazy and wonderful

Leif is sitting and playing and has 5 teeth. Wants to crawl, but doesn't get too far yet without smacking his forehead on the floor. He nurses a few times at night but not too disruptive to my sleep. The only hard part is he still refuses to nap on a flat surface. Its sling or nothing. And I am so physically tired by the end of the day. My girls switched from sling naps to bed naps around 6 months. Maybe he just needs some more time.

He has hit that magical age where I suddenly forgot how hard the 1st few months were and now I want to have another child. This always happens to me right about this age. In a few months it passes and I get a year or so before the baby fever hits again. We were really really planning to stop after 3, now I'm not so sure.

Fall is such a busy fun time for our family, and we are so enjoying the cooler weather! Its fun watching him enjoy the world without us having to sweat on each other so much. He LOVES eating leaves, and here I thought he'd let me delay solids.

Happy October Mamas

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#22 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 PM

Hey Everyone! Can't believe it's October! Eli is wearing footie pj's tonight because it's been chilly around here the past couple days. Maybe they will make him sleep better. HA HA. I can hope right? He's turning into a real crazy man. Very loud when he wants to be heard, smiles constantly, and hates when mom leaves the room (that's getting a little old).

Yesterday was my first appointment with my ob. He couldn't find the baby's heartbeat with the doppler so I had an ultrasound. Saw a little head, with what he said were the beginnings of arms, legs, and a little heart beating away. My doctors older two are 16 months apart so he was clueing us in on what to expect!

My sister is moving to Arcata, CA in four days. Are any of you CA moms near there? She only knows one person out there-the guy she's moving there to be with (mixed feeling on that situation but anyways).

I'm trying not to let the economy get to me too much. Tim's 401K has lost four grand in recent times which is yucky. I haven't looked at mine out of fear for how bad it probably looks. We are lucky we have no credit card debit and both have good jobs. More than that we have great kids and another on the way. Much to be thankful for.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#23 of 445 Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 PM

Wow Heather, I totally missed it!! Congratulations!!! : That's what I get for being too busy to read... did anything else major happen last month??

AislinCarys, Jackson is practicing his pulling up a lot and is quite good at it but he is still combat crawling too. I'm glad you are doing better with Mommy-hood.

I am thinking about doing a mommy tea thing for all my mom friends because I know several other moms but only see one of them regularly. I am finding it harder to be with my other friends because it seems all I know how to talk about anymore is baby related stuff so I need some other people to hang out with who don't mind it. Also I need something else to do with myself (and Jackson) during the week. It will be good for him to be around some other babies too.

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#24 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 12:07 AM

i'm just going to post so i get one in before it's too late. linnaea stood all on her own for 3 seconds. we went to fly geyser hot springs today and did a little swimming.

linnaea has taken to pinching really tinyt folds of boobie skin in her little pinchy fingers. in i take her away from the boobie she pinches my belly button.

i promise to axtually converse here soonbut i'm naking and it's brush teeth tume,

eh. who needs a signature?
#25 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 12:20 AM

Carrie:, thanks for the awesome post card!! I love it!! Such a great idea!

NOS: your kids sound so sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
Hugs to the mamas with sleep issues. I'm truly sorry that you're so sleep deprived. Are you all taking care of yourselves at least through good nutrition? I know I have a tendancy to eat really crappy when I'm fatigued.
Um...as I am sitting here reading this (after another night of very broken sleep) I am chowing down on M&M's...seriously, someone come over here and take them out of my hands!!! I am genetically lucky to be generally a thin person, and have GREAT will power when it comes to food (exercise on the other hand...) but lately I am stuffing any chocolate thing I can find into my mouth, and I know it's just the fatigue talking. Oh well, this too will pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
Yeah that!!!! Thanks for the wake up call, Julie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
I find I'm coping a bit better with motherhood, recently we managed to get to a Potty Party morning tea 2 train rides away (I don't drive), I've made dinner once, done the dishes a couple of times and baked a cake. I know it doesn't sound like much, but I think I'm getting back, slowly. (I had a rotten pregnancy, difficult birth and really hard breastfeeding experience. + I have a baby who wouldn't let me put her down, but hated slings...)
Congrats on making good steps! I haven't had nearly as rough a time with it as you have, but I did with my DS, and it was literally 9 months before I was really doing well with motherhood, and probably a year before I was accomplishing a lot of chores. Keep up the great work!

As for Molly, she is a dream baby (other than sleep at night, which I will NOT go into again, because I have made my OWN ears bleed talking about poor sleep issues, first with DS, now her and I can't stand to hear myself anymore and am working hard to not subject anyone else to it, either). She has the most wonderful nature I could ever have dreamed of for a baby. And she loves: me with all her heart. With DS, I felt kind of like we were in things together, with mutual love and trepidation, but with Molly, it is unabashed Mommy adoration, and I love it:.

She COULD crawl if she thought about it, but she has decided that it is an insult to be put on her tummy (though she sleeps this way) and fusses immediately until she rolls over...which is also usually immedate. She LOVES to pull up to standing holding my fingers, and would do this all day long if I let her. I am trying to encourage the tummy and work toward crawling before walking, but I am also savoring every day free from a moblie infant, so really I am not pushing either.

She still HATES eating for the most part. It was cute at first, but I did get a lot of peace of mind when DS started eating...like if I was hurt or something, I no longer had to worry about his nutrition because I knew he could at least get by till I could nurse him again, so with her, as it drags on, it's starting to loose it's cuteness, and I look forward to her eating a little bit, at least. She also won't take a bottle, so it will just be a piece of mind thing when she starts liking food. But I do treasure our special nursing relationship, so I shouldn't complain too much!!

And, she was 18 pounds at her 6 mo check up, so i am sure she is way past that now!

Ugh...is it 10:30 already? Gotta go sleep!!!

Love to all!
#26 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AislinCarys View Post
The concern is with children who CAN'T crawl, or never learn to, a coordination thing, meaning right leg used with left arm etc.
Actually, this is one of those cases where correlation was mistaken for causation. There are some children with developmental issues who never crawl; In fact, it is a statistically significant portion, for certain issues. There are also many children who are perfectly normal and healthy who don't crawl on hands and knees for whatever reason.

Our babies are getting to be eight months old. If, by the eight month mark, your baby cannot do one more more of the following it's perfectly reasonable to call Early Intervention (but not to start breaking out red flags for every known developmental disorder!):
  • Sit independantly on his tush.
  • Move from sitting to tummy and vice-versa.
  • Roll over from back to tummy & vice-versa.
  • Hold & move head well-- turn to look at sounds, look at a toy they're playing with, etc.
  • Get from point A to point B in some fashion. It needn't be hands & knees crawling, but most typically developing babies can "go" at this age.
  • Make babbly baby noises. I'm not talking about discernable words or even linguistically-appropriate gibberish, but random babbles, gurgles, and coos. They ought to be vocalizing by now.

Of course, that's by no means intended to be a comprehensive list or to take the place of sound medical advice (I'll tell you if I think you should blow your doctor off in favor of a second opinion!), but it's to give you an idea of what's slightly worrisome and what's not. My latest mover and shaker, Miss Bellatrix LeBella, is 2.5 now and is doing juuuuust fine, thankyouverymuch. She was *barely* crawling at 8 months as I recall... in fact, she may have been closer to 9 months (I seem to remember that she was older when she started to crawl than BooBah was when she started to walk). She could, however, get into a hands & knees position from sitting. She sat very nicely on her own, and moved to hands & knees and then back to her tushiebuns.

My niece with autism, on the other hand, couldn't reliably sit on her own at 8 months-- often as not, she'd just kind of tip over. With a bit of PT she got the hang of not only sitting but moving to hands & knees and then crawling, but she needed to be taught those things. It was actually quite cool to watch her learn it, because she was a *baby*. Anyway, she only rolled over in one direction, couldn't sit, sure as heck couldn't crawl or pull herself up on things, and held her head very rigidly. She also didn't make a sound *at all* aside from occasional laughing/crying; There was no babbling. She didn't respond to *anything* a lot of the time, from 'painful' stimuli to her name. Very different from your average non-crawler, and clearly pathological.

#27 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 AM

Ashlee gets up every couple of hours during the night too. This is the ONLY place that I will still admit that! I have started telling people that she sttn when they ask. I am SICK of people telling me she needs a bottle with formula for the night.
#28 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 05:21 AM

Hey everyone, subbing in

I'm starting to get a bit concerned, because he does not babble AT ALL. Nothing. He does hear though, he's had a hearing test and he definatly turns when I calll or when he hears noise. Just no babbling. He's a sweet good baby (almost too good, ya know) so I'm just starting to get concerned. I think I"m goin to bring him back to the ped. next week. I hope it's nothing, but something is seeming a bit off (even though everyone is teling me I'm nuts, he's just a sweet content baby)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#29 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 AM

Oh and he can do everything on the list except sit independently and babble. HE's almost got a real crawl (it's still army, but he's doing t he up on knees rocking thing more often). Just no babbling at all He can sit for a split second if I sit him up, but that's all. I know his muscel tone is weak, I need to see about starting PT. Nechama had PT from about 5 months until 18 months, so it's not surprising another one of my kids would have an issue.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#30 of 445 Old 10-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Ok y'all, add me to the mildly worried list. We have several friends who have babies around the same age, and when I hold them, I can feel a discernable difference from DD. They hold themselves taut, and are strong little buggers. DD has always been a bit floppy. She's very long (I think about 30" right now) and slender as babies go (chunky thighs, chins, arms, but slender torso).

She will sit on her own for maybe 10 minutes if she's distracted & playing with something (grass, usually), but generally will immediately dive forward to her belly. She does roll all over the place, but JUST started pushing herself up on straight arms when on her belly - the "mini-pushup" that was supposed to start months ago. She tries to sit up when on her back & can almost do it, and she has pulled herself to standing a couple of times but only holding on to me.

She doesn't appear to be trying to crawl at all. My nephew was crawling & pulling himself up by 7 months, walking at 10 - I'll be surprised if DD is crawling by 9 months at this point.

She's very social, loves people, babbles all day long (no "mama" yet, though ).

One of my concerns is that she's with DH & I most of the time, and not around other people much. Could this be in any way contributing to slower development? Should I worry? I should add that both DH & I are overachievers, so it wouldn't be unlike us to be expecting her to be "advanced".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page