Why must he wake an hour after going to bed EVERY NIGHT! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2008, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have gotten to the point where I lay my almost 8 month old down to sleep in his sister's room when I put her to bed. He goes to bed just fine, but wakes up exactly an hour later and I have to nurse him back to sleep. He did the same thing when he slept in my bed or his co-sleeper, and I thought maybe he was getting distracted by me moving around the room or my husband making noise around the house. He doesn't seem to be bothered by sleeping alone or I wouldn't expect him to. I just thought MAYBE it would help him sleep better. But it's definitely more of a pain to go nurse him than to just nurse him in my bed. That being said I need even that hour to keep my sanity!

Does anyone else's babe do this? I've thought maybe it's when his sleep cycle changes, or he wets his diaper at this time. He is a light sleeper which is probably a large part of it, but WHEN WILL IT END!?!? My daughter was probably sleeping 4-5 hours at a time by this age, maybe nursing 2-3 times a night, but with him it's more like 5-6 times a night and never sleeping longer than 2-3 hours. Why does he wake so much? Give me some hope here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 06:26 PM

My daughter does the same thing, she has always done it. If I am still up she will be awake for awhile so now I just go to bed with her. I've spent a lot of time in my bed theses last 9 months. I'm not sure how I would get along if I had another LO.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceDoula View Post
My daughter was probably sleeping 4-5 hours at a time by this age, maybe nursing 2-3 times a night, but with him it's more like 5-6 times a night and never sleeping longer than 2-3 hours. Why does he wake so much?
Because every baby is different?

It will end eventually. Maybe you could try going to bed an hour earlier so that you can get more sleep?

I've found that dealing with babies, it's important to not have expectations.. because they so rarely meet them. Just take it one night at a time, it will end eventually.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM

Sorry I have no advice. I am going through the same thing right now with my 4 month old ds. He wakes up every hour to nurse and is practically feeding all night long! Dd was sleeping through the night at this age. I don't expect that with ds, but we both need longer stretches than that! He hardly naps during the day either! :yawning:

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM

DD did this starting around 4 months and for about 2 months after that, as did my friend's baby who is the same age. It started with the 4-month sleep regression (ugh ugh ugh did I say ugh?) and she finally stopped when we came back from a two-week vacation & moved her into her own room - total disruption of her sleep routine seemed to just kind reset everything.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceDoula View Post
I have gotten to the point where I lay my almost 8 month old down to sleep in his sister's room when I put her to bed. He goes to bed just fine, but wakes up exactly an hour later and I have to nurse him back to sleep. He did the same thing when he slept in my bed or his co-sleeper, and I thought maybe he was getting distracted by me moving around the room or my husband making noise around the house. He doesn't seem to be bothered by sleeping alone or I wouldn't expect him to. I just thought MAYBE it would help him sleep better. But it's definitely more of a pain to go nurse him than to just nurse him in my bed. That being said I need even that hour to keep my sanity!

Does anyone else's babe do this? I've thought maybe it's when his sleep cycle changes, or he wets his diaper at this time. He is a light sleeper which is probably a large part of it, but WHEN WILL IT END!?!? My daughter was probably sleeping 4-5 hours at a time by this age, maybe nursing 2-3 times a night, but with him it's more like 5-6 times a night and never sleeping longer than 2-3 hours. Why does he wake so much? Give me some hope here!
I got no hope for you here, sorry DD does that, but usually at 30min, 90min.. a couple hours later.. then again a couple hours after that SUCKS! But, I have no idea what to do, whether it's just a phase, or her way... all i can do is try and keep her dry, fed, the right temperature etc. i suppose. Ugh. Fingers crossed they figure out how much fun sleeping is soon!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! Is is somehow helpful to know that it's atleast somewhat normal.

I just try to remind myself that a few months ago he would only sleep ON me, so being able to lay him down for that first hour is a big improvement!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:42 PM

Is he confined in any way? Around that time ours would sleep for 2 hours EXACTLY and then wake up. We were still using a soft thingy with arms (no idea what it's called) to keep him from rolling over onto his face. Well, one night we were at my mom's without that thing and I was there and awake at the 2 hour mark. Lo and behold, at that point he FLUNG himself over on his face and slept there peacefully for the rest of the night. In that thingy he woke up because he couldn't get comfy. Got rid of it and he started sleeping 4-5 hours before waking.

hth
Old 10-08-2008, 03:48 PM

Honestly, just perservere. There is nothing worse that sleep deprivation but some babies just don't sleep well or for very long. My ds was the same and sorry to tell you this but he didn't really stop the nursing 5-6x a night until he was 18 months! Now at 2 1/2 he usually sleeps through the night but sometimes wakes to nurse still!

Best of luck!

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 PM

My baby does this too and so did his older brother. I can't remember when it stopped but eventually it does. Hang in there!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

I know this is an old thread but thought I would re-open discussion because this happens to me. My DS who is now 13 moths has almost always waken up 45 min- one hour after going to sleep for the night. I go in there and nurse him back to sleep, and he goes down quickly, I just don't know why he always wakes up one hour after laying down for the night. He has pretty much always been an awful sleeper! He is getting better now though, knock on wood. I did not co-sleep with him because my husband just does not sleep well when the kids are in bed with us. Anyway he has went through stages where he wakes every two hours, but now he seems to be almost sleeping through the night. He almost always wakes at that 1st hour mark though! Is there a reason for this? I read something about their sleep cycle?! anyone know anything about this? I mean it's not a huge deal I am always still awake doing stuff, it's just kind of annoying when I sit down to relax for the evening, or begin doing housework and I know he will wake.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 PM

Bump

Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

My son did this.  I forget how long it lasted because it was so long ago, but I think it was almost on the hour until he was about a year old and then closer to 2 hours until he was 2 and started to reduce nursing.  We had the family bed in his room (that is, a full-size low bed where a parent, or even both parents, could sleep next to him; we kept our master bedroom for adult purposes, and my partner usually slept there) so I would nurse him lying on the bed and then get up once he was asleep and go about my business until he summoned me back, at which point he'd nurse and go right back to sleep, so I could get up again.  This would go on until I was in bed for the night, next to him; then he would sleep about 5 hours straight.  If I stayed up unusually late, he'd keep nursing every hour or two until I stayed with him.  So my impression was that when he reached a phase of lighter sleep, if I was there he'd feel soothed and go back to sleep, but if I wasn't there he needed me to help him get back to sleep.

This theory was supported by my partner's experience the one time I was away overnight before weaning: The kid was 21 months and would no longer drink pumped milk, so Daddy fed him a hearty snack, soothed him to sleep with stories and singing, then stayed next to him all night.  Kid woke every hour, almost exactly, just long enough to cry "Nursie!" for a little while and snuggle Daddy.  So he was awakening because I wasn't there, he was wanting nursing, but he was able to get back to sleep without it--just only for an hour at a time.  Long night for Daddy!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 12-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Both my kids did this--DS2 is doing it right now at 8 mos. eventually they stop, but it's so annoying in the moment...especially if you had planned for an evening of "adult situations".
;-)
Old 12-03-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Poor sleep can sometimes be a sign of a food allergy or intolerance. I wonder if there's something in your diet or his that doesn't quite agree with him. Wheat and dairy are common culprits, but any food is a potential allergen.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Yes I have taken him off gluten and dairy but I still eat dairy. I didn't eat dairy until he was 6 months then it didn't seem to bother him anymore when I ate it but I don't give it to him directly at all.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:06 AM

I think done might not gave understood my question though?! smile.gif he doesn't wake every hour, he wakes one hour after going down and i get him back to sleep but I just didn't know if there was a reason.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:07 AM

Some might have*

User Tag List