Please look! Classic Diaper rash or Yeast rash? (1wk baby) (x-posted) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
J2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please look at this picture. Does this look like classic diaper rash or a yeast rash? I was thinking yeast and have been treating it for the past 24hrs with grapefruit seed extract mixed with water like I did with DS when he had thrush at 10mos. It has gotten worse so far, not better. DD is just 1 week old.

We also changed to non-chlorine diapers (7th generation) when she was 2days old b/c we thought she was having diaper irritation - and she probably was because it has cleared up to reveal this other type of rash underneath. We are also just using cotton balls and water to clean her with. Hoping it gets better soon but if it is not yeast then I need to change how we care for it. She also has a white tongue and I have had a little thrush like nipple pain in one nipple which is why I suspected yeast. But...I'm just not sure.

Here is the pic. Thanks for looking!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7/CIMG8452.jpg
#2 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 10:37 AM

It looks like yeast to to me. My DD had a horrible case of it. We had to strip and re-strip all her diapers and then rinse with vinegar+GSE after each wash. The only thing that ended up working for us was GSE mixed with water in a spray bottle sprayed on a few times a day, lots of naked booty time and adding vinegar and GSE to her wipe solution.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#3 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM

doesn't look like yeast to me - don't see any satellite spots.
#4 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM

Could be yeast. I'd try adding a few drops of tea tree oil to some olive (or other) oil and dabbing the rash area with that. Cleared dd's early rash right up.

Plenty of naked time, too.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#5 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I thought yeast was more in the folds of skin. This looks more like where the diaper touches her skin. Have you tried zinc oxide creams?
#6 of 6 Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 AM

You might want to look into food sensitivities too. A friend's diaper rash looked like that - she got tested for foor intolerance, and it disappeared once they eliminated the foods she didn't tolerate from mom's diet.

http://www.eclecticphysician.com/tre...per_rash.shtml

This may not be the case with you, but it's worth considering.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page