Mattress Wrapping to prevent SIDS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here have their crib mattress wrapped? I just ordered a Babesafe mattress cover to prevent SIDS. I just read about it online and thought it was a great idea! If a $35 cover can save help my baby I am all for it! What are everyone's thoughts on this and what do you use under the crib sheet?
#2 of 15 Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM

I just use a normal mattress pad, but ds didnt start sleeping in his crib until he was 6 months. Before that he slept in a bassinet and co-slept.
#3 of 15 Old 10-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Interested as well!
#4 of 15 Old 10-08-2008, 04:11 PM

I seriously considered ordering one of these. I decided not to, and instead I bought an all organic cotton mattress. They are a little more expensive, but free from all the harmful gasses found in regular mattreses.

When we brought the crib mattress home, we let it out-gas on the deck in the July sunshine for 10 hours (just in case). Make sure you unwrap the mattress from the manufacturer's outer-wrap as soon as possible to release the built-up gasses.

I'm still not convinced that wrapping a mattress will reduce the risk of SIDS, but it certainly can't hurt.
#5 of 15 Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM

i have one. its a glorified plastic bag with holes on the underside. It sounds like ds is sleeping on plastic bag. We have it on the sidecarred crib and i had to put towels between the wrapping and the sheet so it wouldn't keep me up.
#6 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 12:14 AM

I have one too, but since we cosleep a lot, DD hasn't gotten a ton of use out of it. She does nap in the crib now though, and sometimes begins the night there. I use either a 100% cotton flannel mattress pad under the sheet or a big bath towel. The mattress pad that I have is pretty thin and fits better than the towel (well, easier anyway). I know that is is like a plastic bag (as someone else mentioned), but the research convinced me. And, for $35.00 it is worth it.
#7 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 01:32 AM

this is a great article:
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...(SIDS)-Factors

I wrapped my DS's crib mattress (he has never slept in it though) and my mattress, since i cosleep, in polyethylene from home depot. MUCH cheaper than the babesafe thingy with the same result.

yeah its a pain in the butt and loud to sleep on but the research is very convincing.

you can google it for instructions, it is pretty easy. i so wish that we would take new zealands lead in spreading the word about this.
#8 of 15 Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Can you explain how you wrapped it yourself? Do they have that stuff at all home improvement stores, like Lowe's etc? ALso, how much was it?
#9 of 15 Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99 View Post
this is a great article:

I wrapped my DS's crib mattress (he has never slept in it though) and my mattress, since i cosleep, in polyethylene from home depot. MUCH cheaper than the babesafe thingy with the same result.

yeah its a pain in the butt and loud to sleep on but the research is very convincing.

you can google it for instructions, it is pretty easy. i so wish that we would take new zealands lead in spreading the word about this.
Yup, I did this to our queen mattress too. I bought the clear plastic painters drop sheet at Wal-Mart. I got the 3mil thickness. They come in different sizes and thicknesses. It was under $10 for sure! Home Depot or Lowe's would have it too in the paint section.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#10 of 15 Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarielena View Post
Can you explain how you wrapped it yourself? Do they have that stuff at all home improvement stores, like Lowe's etc? ALso, how much was it?
I just put over the top and tucked it under as far as my arms could reach. You could buy it long enough to wrap around the whole underneath.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#11 of 15 Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Please keep in mind that it (or anything) doesn't PREVENT sudden infant death. Nothing does. No prevention, no cause, no cure.

I just hate the false sense of security that these methods often instill. That being said, SIDS is soooooooooooooooooooooooo rare, a mom shouldn't worry about it anyways.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#12 of 15 Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM

I also bought a babesafe wrap. It has really helped me worry less. I put it over the crib mattress (we have the crib set up as a sidecar--she is always in my bed beside me by morning, but still) and then a 100% cotton mattress pad. Then the sheet. The wrap fits supertightly around the mattress. It was hard to get on, it's so tight.

-Lora
#13 of 15 Old 10-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Banned

Hi folks,

no-one I know in New Zealand wrap their baby's mattress, and I've never heard about it before. Plunket (Well Baby nurses) hands out a booklet on preventing SIDS to all new mums, but it has nothing in it about mattress wrapping!

If it was common I think I'd know about it, as I've worked as a nanny here for 6 years.
#14 of 15 Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 PM

If these are made out of plastic, arent you worried about the plastic off gassing? I am currently looking at mattress covers, puddle pads and all they talk about is it off gassing if you buy one made of plastic. Why not the same principle for wrapping?

Co-sleeping is the best way to prevent SIDS, btw.
#15 of 15 Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmichelle99 View Post
this is a great article:

That is a very interesting article, esp about the drop in crib deaths in NZ. I'm curious though if the gases are there, why are most deaths from 2-4 months and not later as well?

Also, has anyone read if gases would still leak through a pad? I'm assuming so, and also maybe the pad would be too cushioned for safety.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page