How do you entertain 3 months old baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it sounds probably totally stupid, but I have to ask you that.

How do you entertain your baby? Beside all the sweet talk and laughing and nursing and cuddling........do you do anything else? He is too young to have any toys, sowhat else can I do? He seems to be bored between all the laughing and talking and changing.........

Thanks for your ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 04:24 PM

I home with my 3 1/2 month old boy and it seems that he does best when I'm active and he can just hang out in the sling and observe. We try to get out as much as possible, and I try to stay busy. I don't think little babies need much more than lots of action to look at for entertainment. In fact, when I try too hard to entertain him, he gets overstimulated. So, I just put him in the sling and do housework or go for a walk. That being said, it's still a battle for us both to fight boredom. I don't live a terribly active life because I'm so busy taking care of him! The Catch 22. By 11 am I'm often at a loss for what to do and desperate for some adult contact. We go to a playgroup and a mom/baby yoga class. he loves being around other babies and I love being around anyone can string a few words together for conversation.
Also, mine just started grabbing for things, so hang in there. Soon he'll love to hold onto things and shove them in his mouth. Also, reading books and listening to music is interesting to him. Hope this helps.
#3 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
six months later, I remember my baby's favorite activities at 3 months:

smiling at people
nursing
sleeping
nursing
nursing
batting at objects with his hands
looking at things (at three months, they just start to be able to see across the room.)

we did play some games with him. "tour de france" (bicycling his legs while saying "tour de france" over and over) Lying on our backs and leaning him against our knees, and talking to him. Dancing with him to music.

Of course, I was at work part time by then. But I do remember, a lot of nursing...

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#4 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Liz

It's a long time ago but I think this was the time I found a use for that crib in the nursery . DS would lie under the mobile (one of those black and white things : ) totally fascinated while I took a

---

wait for it

---

A SHOWER!

Other than that we went out a lot. Tough in the cold I realise
#5 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 05:16 PM

talking
singing
slinging while I do the housework
a trip out to the washing line to hang the nappies and clothes
a change of scenery ie walk into the next room
lying on the change mat listening to the washing machine!!
a trip out to the mailbox
tummy drumming
massage
nurse nurse nurse
#6 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 05:34 PM

My daughter loves and loved then the baby Einstein Dvd's. They would entertain her so I could shower, clean the house, check the mail, have a few minutes to myself. They are wonderful. They are educational! There were times ( just a few) when I had no idea why she was crying - I had nursed her, cuddled her, changed her diaper, read to her - walked around - everything you could think of - I could pop that DVD in there while she was screaming her head off and as soon as that little caterpillar logo came across the screen she would be cooing and happy!

Now I give them as a baby shower gifts with a little note to the mom that says " Trust me - you will need this!"
#7 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 07:44 PM

My 3m old DD loves to have her legs played with. We do a massage every night, and I take that opportunity to do her 'hide and seek' game. I take her feet in my hands and clap them together, clap them on my cheeks, then lift them up and hide behind them and quickly part them over my face and say, "Boo!" It's the only time we've ever heard her chuckle! She'll take this game for about 15 minutes, sometimes more, before she wants to move onto something else.

She also loves splashing in a bath tub with DH or I. We just support her head and put a hand on the small of her back and let her float, she loves it. We have the water quite warm, about the temperature of the womb (101' F) which is the only way she'll take it.

She's starting to go after mobiles too... she has a bear mobile on her swing that she yells and screams and shakes her fists at. We're not sure if she's scared or intrigued by it... but she sure does carry on about it.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#8 of 18 Old 11-13-2003, 08:09 PM

At three months, dd's favorite toy was her own body. It stayed that way until a few ago, at 5 and half months. I lay her down on the floor or in her crib to explore her body and look out the window. I do my best not to entertain her, per se, but to let her entertain herself and follow her lead with what interests her.
#9 of 18 Old 11-14-2003, 04:16 PM

for us it is all about the naked time!
she likes nothing more than hanging out naked while I make funny faces and talk like a goofball
#10 of 18 Old 11-14-2003, 05:30 PM

My daughter's favorite thing at that age was seeing me dance. She was in her bouncy chair one day, starting to fuss, and out of the blue I sang the chorus of "YMCA" while doing the motions. She LOVED it! So that was my daily exercise for a while. Sadly, disco was her favorite...oh, the things we do for our chldren...but she liked oldies too!

We also used to do a game where I bicycled her legs while singing "We're gonna ride the bicycle" to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus", with a second verse where I pumped her legs ("climb the stairs") and then swept her feet upward ("ride the swing"). That was the first game she ever enjoyed. (Hope the description makes sense!) It had the added advantage of helping get gas out of her.
#11 of 18 Old 11-14-2003, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
At 3 months, my dd had been batting at toys for a while, and was starting to try to grasp toys with two hands. She liked looking at pictures in books, particularly photos of babies, and she liked it when I played peekaboo with her. And she was still nursing about every hour or hour and a half while she was awake, so I didn't have to come up with a lot of other activities to fill our spare time.
#12 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 02:01 AM

For Eva, she likes:

sunshine
smiling
rattles -I entertained her for an half hour once. boy was my hand tired!
bells -I plan on sewing little bells on her socks since she just discovered her feet!
feet games -I bicycle her legs while singing "Motorboat"
"Motor boat......Motor boat.....go....so....slow
Motor boat, Motor boat, go so fast
Motorboat, Motorboat, step-on-the-gas!"

Singing -I sing songs to her and bob my head a little bit. She tries to mimic me by opening and closing her mouth and nodding her little head around. -She still has some trouble with muscle control though LOL.
TV -you'll all probably hate me for it, but this child LOVES tv. ESPECIALLY MTV! Has since we brought her home! Has been known to reposition herself to be able to watch it.
Walking -she loves to observe!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#13 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 09:08 PM

singing
dancing
reading/looking at/chewing books
looking in mirrors- we walk around the house and find them all!
kicking in a bouncy seat
#14 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 09:21 PM

Some more:

bouncing on an excercise ball
watching the fish in the fish tank
practicing standing/ sitting
and a second vote for naked time!
#15 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 09:36 PM

I thought of another one--if you have a hand puppet, that would no doubt be entertaining. I didn't have any puppets, but I wished I had some. I may get one for Christmas, in fact--we were in a bookstore not long ago and I used a raccoon puppet to distract her from fussing. Great for any age!
#16 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 09:42 PM

Dr. Sears is right about black and white images...we just got DD the "Black on White" book and we love to read it together.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#17 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 10:32 PM

About entertaining baby:

Everything everyone else said--especially about the naked time--plus, a bath! My son will always calm down and cheer up when I fill his little tub and plop him in on his bear sponge. I give him two tubs a day, often. (No soap, though--too drying if he's bathed that often). He'll happily sit in there for half an hour while I pour warm water on him. He sucks on his washcloth. We also do a great deal of strolling. During this week's wind storms, I had to resort to popping him in the car and driving aimlessly around the neighborhood just to cheer him up.

My ds absolutely loves his doorway bouncer (jumper)! He jumps up and down in it while I do dishes and cook. When he starts to fuss in it, I play peekaboo with him while he jumps. This whole routine can last a good 40 minutes or so! But he's 5 months, not three; so you have to wait for some really good neck and back strength before trying that.

By the way, I'm still looking for some Mom friends in Connecticut. Anyone out there? (I have a message on the tribes forum but no one's answered--boo hoo).

KathleenE
#18 of 18 Old 11-15-2003, 11:47 PM

going outside and looking up at the trees! i'm convinced that DS had such good head control so early because he would crane his neck in any direction to get a great look at his "tree friends." he also was/is always the most peaceful outside.

megin

Mommy to an amazing 8 year old, wife to an inspiring principal, and welcoming Wylie Grace! Our July 4th babe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page